Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I agree with cwalti.

If the sensor is so deeply embedded that replacing it requires the entire tailgate to be replaced then the sensor is certainly protected adequately to prevent being damaged by a bump on the head. Simply opening and closing the tailgate would impart far greater trauma on that little sensor.

The woman should be looking elsewhere for the source of her problem.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • rambobrambob Member Posts: 4
    My friend has an 07 element sc, purchased in april. loves it with 1 exception. 2 weeks ago he turned on the heat/defrost in the am and watched the windshield form a crack all the way across from left to right.
    took it to the dealer to be replaced, asked if it was a common ailment, as he deemed it suspect, and the only response was "merry christmas" as they were replacing it for free.
    anyone else heard of this happening?
  • cwalticwalti Member Posts: 185
    ...there were earlier models that had a known windshield issue, his musta been a fluke. As long as the dealer does not give your buddy a hard time and replaces it, it is likely an odd occurrence. My '07 is OK, -- love it too!!!
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    Of course turning on any heat is a very rare occurence. However, it actually is getting below freezing here tommorrow night.
  • ealbertoealberto Member Posts: 1
    hi bshelly....my 03 element is doing the same thing...i went through the manual forwards and backwards and can't find anything explaining what it means...sorry this couldn't help you but you're not alone...please repost something if you can find answer=]
    ...yer tranni is going on the fritz, or if yer lucky it is just a sensor....
  • enzwteenzwte Member Posts: 7
    I just reversed and broke :mad: and bent forward my mirror.Its hanging looking at it
    closely it looks like it broke on the bottom .Would it be adviseable to glue that portion
    back on .also I tried to remove the 3 screws on the bottom of the mirror and I just
    couldn;t any help on that or any advice I would appreciate .....image
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Your photo isn't showing up because Digg requires registration to see it. You can park it on your CarSpace page in an album there and avoid photo hosting problems from other sites.

fwiw, I dropped a canoe on my driver's side mirror and glued the housing back together. That usually lasts two or three years until I have to reglue it.
    http://www.carspace.com/enzwte/.5bbe9559 try to see if you see the picture in albums now thks for checking
    Ok, I'm seeing it in your album (link).

I don't know why the bolts won't come off.

Mine looked a lot like that, but the three bolts holding mine on just backed right out. The glue (epoxy) works ok but I don't try to fold the mirror housing back and forth anymore. The connections for the power and heat still work on the mirror too. (Mine's a Nissan btw).

Have any of you Element owners taken your mirrors off?
    Any suggestions on removing them there on the bottom of the case 3 screws...
    I just got from running errands and I remembered that to get to the bolts holding my mirror housing on, you have to remove a plastic trim piece on the inside of the door. I'm not sure how you are attacking your problem but I think you may need to remove the entire assembly from the side of the door and proceed from there.
    Thks I did remove the whole mirror. On the bottom are 3 screw the plastic insert is
    what got broken. And I was able to suceed in removing the 2 screws the last one
    I am having hard time. I just stripped the screw and you can imagine what I was saying...... :D
  • mikexmikex Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. Do you start by removing the 3 screws on the bottom of the housing? I am having a hard time doing this. Thanks.
    No you remove the black panel which is located on top right or left of the window. (Whichever one was damage).with a screwdriver and you will see the 3 screws.On mine it broke on the inside.Once I removed the whole mirror on the bottom are also 3screws once I removed the bottom screws there is a plastic support that holds the mirror upright. That part was damage I couldn't glue it together. I had to replace the whole componet. I am still waiting for the part. Best of luck
  • streetlightstreetlight Member Posts: 4
    How do you reset the audio system on a 2003 Element? I replaced the battery and can't use the system now.
    Check out Fezo's Honda Radio Codes guide. Hopefully that'll get you listening again.
    That was what I needed. And it was oddly easy to get the answer here, when I work at Mitchell 1 and I could not find out with all the access I have to OEM info! Thanks!
  • ejharaejhara Member Posts: 8
    My son has a 2007 Element EX which has stalled twice on turns. It starts right back up, I understand. Car has about 15 thousand miles on it. We're taking it back to the dealer this weekend.

My point: Did you ever discover what was causing this problem? Is your car still doing it?

Anything you can tell me/us will certainly help as we make a one-hour trip to the dealer and try to convince him that this stalling is not imaginary.

Thanks in advance!
  • kevinb4kevinb4 Member Posts: 2
    03 automatic transmission reverse lockout. Has anyone experienced this wonderful feature? Any solutions other than taking it to the dealership?
  • gregoryparkergregoryparker Member Posts: 3
    Steve and tidester,
    I think I have found a suitable replacement part to my failed pump. Access to the old one is daunting if not impossible. How to I gain access to the old one so I can replace with the new?
    Thanks,
    Greg
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    "Daunting" is right! It's hard to access almost anything in today's cars. Perhaps someone here has direct experience with the Element and would offer some guidance. Anyone?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Greg, do you have access to the OEM info? If not, I can post the appropriate pages online.
    Here's just the text:

1) Remove the front bumper (are you freakin' kidding me!).
    See FRONT BUMPER REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.
    2) Disconnect the washer tubes (A).
    3) Disconnect the 2P connectors (B) from the washer motors (C) and the washer fluid level switch (D) (Canada).
    4) Remove the three mounting bolts and washer reservoir (A).
    5) Install in the reverse order of removal. Make sure the washer motors operate properly.

This is from the '04 manual...the '03 is pretty much identical (I have one of each)

Brian
    Sorry Greg, the procedure I just posted was for the reservoir. It looks like you can access the pump/motor by removing the right inner fender (no idea what it's like getting that out)...

1) Remove the right inner fender.
    2) Disconnect the 2P connectors (A) from the washer motors.

Brian
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Dont freak out TOO bad...bumper covers usually are not too difficult to get off. ID assume you have to get the grille out which is usually a few clips. Looks for two or three screw/bolts on each inner fender well. Usually there are a few plastics clips under the bumper and occasionally a bolt or two. Under the grill i could have to guess there are a few plastic clips also. Not sure how much this helps you cuz this makes it sound very easy, its not. I used to do auto body repair so i might make it sound easier then it is.
  • kmeiselkmeisel Member Posts: 2
    both highbeams work-both lowbeams don't.Is this a bad bulb?
  • aznpolobearaznpolobear Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem too, front and back don't work, don't Honda know this is happening?
  • nemodogdadnemodogdad Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2003 Element 5 spped manual fwd. Great car with a few really annoying issues. We had the drivers side passenger seat belt tensioner start malfunctioning almost from day one. At 41k miles, it finally locked up completely and would not release. I even removed the anchor bolt from the floor to maximize slack, and all it did was take up until the entire length of the bellt was locked in. Definately should be a recall issue, as I know 6 people with this same problem in Elements from 2003 thru 2006. Another issue in the 2003 that may have been addressed in later modles is the kee room when in a proper driving position. When I set up the seat for my frame (6'0") my left knee is about 3/4 of an inch from the dash. If I',m in a head on, I suspect I'll break both khees before the airbags pop of and knock me out cold. Last issue is the dif fluid loss causing anything beyond a graceful , easy turn sound like you are running over rumble strips at high speed.

Anyone else have these happen too?

Nemodogdad
    Look at www.elementownersclub.com This and many like issues are discussed and remedied... The diff fluid is wearing out needing be replaced with a NEW formula delivered to the dealer. I had it changed in my '05 CR-V at 18K miles. No scraping yet with the '07 Element. I love that car!!!
  • bonnie24bonnie24 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Honda Element. I had the reverse lockout also. Did you find out what the problem. Did you go to a dealer. How much did the repair cost you.
  • gregoryparkergregoryparker Member Posts: 3
    Brian,
    Thanks for the replies. I am sorry it has been so long for me to get back to you to thank you for the info. Based upon what I could see and rooting around the pump, I figured the bumper removal was not required. I can't imagine getting the inner fender out being too difficult, although it may be tedious. Again, I really appreciate the response.
    Thanks,
    Greg
  • kevinb4kevinb4 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Bonnie.

I did take to the Honda dealership. They did an idle learn procedure, whatever that is.That was $30.00. That fixed the problem. They told me if the problem persists, the throttle body woul have to be replaced. After about 6 weeks it started doing it again, but it is intermittent. If I turn on the A/C it will come out of park. For the last 10 days or so, it has been working fine, A/C on or not.I bought it used, and fortunately purchased a 100k / 5yr warranty. I have not yet taken it back to the dealership, so I don't know how much the throttle body replacement cost. The guy at the Honda dealership said something about a recall for this problem. If that is the case, it might not cost you anything. If you don't know, there is a lockout bypass switch.There is a little plastic tab on the shift console. Take a small screwdriver and pop out the tab. Stick the screwdriver in the hole and push down on it, and it will come out of park, strange huh? Hope this was helpful. Good luck, and let me know how it turns out. I love my short bus! :shades:
  • rjnvpnrjnvpn Member Posts: 3
    I have had the same problem with my 03 Honda Element. I have taken my Honda to the Dealer 7 times for problems with the engine stalling and dying at unpredictable times. It used to happen every few weeks first thing in the morning; I thought the engine was cold. However, living in Southern California, the cold weather here is mild. Every time I took my car in for this issue, the car never duplicated the problem. So they never fixed it. Finally, out of exasperation, I went to another general mechanic. They advised that I replace the starter for $600. I called Honda, where I had my car serviced faithfully for 5 years to get their quote. They offered to do it for $800. I talked to the head mechanic at Honda and explained that they should cut me a better deal since I was a long time customer and my car is out of warranty. So they counter offered to replace the starter for $300. which I accepted. Since reading your post, that your engine starting problem was due to a bad solenoid, I'm wondering if I this was a mistaken diagnosis. My car seems to be starting more smoothly; howvever it makes this bzzzt noise which it used to do when this problem started. Has replacing the solenoid remedied your cars starting problems and was this an expensive repair. T :lemon:
    I just got back my Element from the body shop. And notice that my airbag indicator light doesn't turn off. I had my passenger side doors repaired due to deep scratches.And also notice that my radio was not working either. all I had to do is put in my code.I called Honda service and said theres a possiblitlty of low voltage and if they have the means (Body Shop) they should repair it. The body shop told me to wait a little bit to see if it regains more power and the light should go off by itself... Is it something I can do to fix it could it be a fuse that just burned off. THe body shop said they never tampered with the air bags at all and said that the car was open during repair.... Any Advice :)
    Being a former body repair technician my advice is dont touch ANYTHING associated with the airbag system yourself, be it a fuse or a wire dont touch anything. Im all about fixing things myself but that is one part you dont want to mess with if you dont have the proper training. My best guess is the low voltage line is complete bulls...um bull do-do. They didnt touch the airbags at all but in order to refinish the doors they had to take the door apart to pull the door handle out and the weather strip around the window. And there are airbag sensors in the doors. (see where im going with this) They forgot to connect a wiring harness somewhere is my best guess.
    Thanks for your information and will take it back to the Body Shop and have them deal with it. I waited 3wks for the car.. The dealership said they would charge me 110.00 to get it repaired. thanks again
    CHARGE YOU???? wait a minute here...THEY did the work. It worked before you brought it to them. Nicely explain that you arent paying for something you didnt break. They didnt do the repair properly, its not your responsibility to pay for it. Its what they call in the business a "come-back".
  • pdecaluwepdecaluwe Member Posts: 2
    05 honda element had problems with seat belt on passenger side light coming on after hitting bumps in road with no one on seat took connections apart under passengers seat to see if loose light in dash went out now air bag light stays on also checked connections and fuses is there a reset i also unhooked battery to ckeck if that would reset it didnt any help
  • kfarrkfarr Member Posts: 4
    I have daytime running lights . The tail lights work along with all marker's and dash . It will also flash passing lights . When headlight switch is turned to on the dash lights come on ,the daytime go out and the headlights dont come on. The turn lights work fine along with brake. Am I looking for a fuse ,relay or switch.
    Park brake is off.
    That sounds like when they did the DRL (daytime running lights) that they didnt reattach one of the wires to the harness. Either that or look for a loose or disconnected ground wire. What year is the vehical and where is it located?
  • pdecaluwepdecaluwe Member Posts: 2
    checked alittle far into my problem now found that seat belt light doesnt work on passenger side either also light on air bag stays on
    There was no work done on car. Checked for ground and no luck
    checked for ground with a multi meter and grounds seem fine . The car is a 07 . There was no work done on the car to start this , it just stopped working over night .This is why I am thinking a fuse ,relay or switch I have checked the fuses in the panel all seem good,but is there a in line fuse somewhere under the dash?
    Cant you just bring it into the dealer then?
    Yes I can ,but a bird can fly on a plane also. There is something about DIY that makes you feel good at the end of it.
    Can someone please let Me know if I am on the wrong path!
    I was under the impression that headlights where not on any type of fuse that could go on you and leave you in the dark going down the road at night. . But a breaker that would reset ,giving you some light to get off the road with. Seeing that the lights are not flashing I am thinking the light switch . As I said before, I am not sure.
  • liv43kidsliv43kids Member Posts: 2
    how do disessblem the dash board to gain access to the dash lights
  • baccus49baccus49 Member Posts: 60
    what bulbs do you seek? what dash do you need removed?
  • liv43kidsliv43kids Member Posts: 2
    THE LIGHTS BEHIND THE TACH & SPEEDOMETOR ............. HOW MANY BULBS ARE THERE IN THIS AREA & HOW TO GAIN ACCESS TO THEM ????

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE

ANTHONY G.
    thinking about replacing the rear wiper before winter hits here in MN. Only problem is i dont ever see them listed at auto parts stores. Is it a honda only part? or is it something i can find at the store?
  • baccus49baccus49 Member Posts: 60
    Don't yell at me I'll help you.image

Illustration No. Part Number Description Qty. Model List Price Our Price
    001 35505-SCV-A01 BULB 7 ELEMENT 2.62 1.96
    002 35505-SCV-A11 BULB 2 ELEMENT 2.62 1.96