Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Element Maintenance and Repair

1234568»

Comments

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,129
    You probably shouldn't listen to my suggestions. :shades: I did a simple transmission fluid change and fill on my '99 van at 154k and I'm pretty sure that's all the love it's received, other than some "inspections".

Honda's recommendations are a bit more rigorous than Nissan's it appears, but I'm lax about maintenance and I'm not too excited about using a synthetic if the manual doesn't require it.

Hopefully some Element owners will pop in here.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    I just want to make sure the drive train out lasts the body on mine is all.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,129
    Well, you're in MN and I moved to the UP a while back. Assuming you have as much salt on the roads there as MI uses, we're both in trouble. :-) Another winter here and the body of my van will probably start looking like Swiss cheese.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I had this happen to me yesterday and ended up rear ending someone. Every time I took it to the dealer they said it was fine. Now out thousands of dollars and have 4 points on my license because the car lurched like a bat out of hell when i let up off the break after sitting at a traffic light for two lights.
  • turtle2turtle2 Posts: 2
    My car started to vibrate about two weeks ago when I bought new tires. One car mechanic said it was the
    control arm bushings. I had them fixed but the car still vibrates. It is worse uphill and less
    on the freeway - at higher speeds. Someone else said it could be the engine mounts, bad axel..... Has anyone experienced similar problem? If so, please share - before I spend ridiculous amounts of money.... Help!
    I have a 2005 element with about 140,000 miles on it. Everything else is great.
  • tesprotespro Posts: 6
    It seems so obvious that your vibration problem relates to the tire change that I'm sure you tried to eliminate that as the cause. What exactly did you do?
    I will freely admit im not the brightest bulb on the tree but.... sounds to me like they didnt balance the tires properly.
    This year we have had maybe 16 inches of snow and none of it has lasted more then a few days. The greenies can kiss my bumper (or rear end either way) im all in favor of "global warming" lol
  • Thanks for the get back - no, the car would not start in either park or neutral.
  • jodyinnjjodyinnj Posts: 1
    I actually received a recall notice on my 2004 Element for this transmission malfunction. It said that in some models the transmission appears to be in park or engaged but isn't and if I noticed my car rolling after I parked I was supposed to take it to the dealer for a complete replacement on them. My car hasn't shown any signs of having this malfunction although I have experienced the oil spraying out for no apparent reason and the airbag light staying on after my car was hit during a hurricane. If you have an older model Element with either problems starting or parking/taking off from park you should contact Honda to see if your covered under the recall. Perhaps you moved and never received the notice or you bought the car used and the former owner got it. Good luck!
  • ele07ele07 Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 man. trans. and having the same problem. I replaced my starter in March 2013 and the problem has resurfaced.
1234568»