Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL vs Lexus IS 250 vs Acura TSX

Comments

• darballman1darballman1 Posts: 55
    Richey02, here are some of the quotes I received; all included the premium + pkg.(perforated leather seats, heated &ventilated front seats, cargo net, trunk mat, and wheel locks. w/18" wheels.

Westminister Lexus: $ 31,687.
    Longo Lexus: $ 31, 623.
    Glendale Lexus: $ 31,500.

Hope that helps. If you wait until the summer (end of), I have been told "off the record" that the IS line will be even closer to invoice.
  • richey02hgrichey02hg Posts: 69
    thanks for letting me know, if you are still searching in a few months I"ll let you know what tustin lexus and mission viejo lexus quote

i still cant believe the thing you said earlier, you got a TL quote for under 30 k? the invoice on kbb is 31k about. Was it an older TL?

also, just curious about the IS, do you basically have to pick one of the packages? because on the website it seems like you either get the premium package or the navigation system? is the KBB invoice price based on the IS without any packages or with the premium package? because it seems required on the IS website
  • darballman1darballman1 Posts: 55
    Thanks.

No, a brand new TL. But, who knows, once one get in the dealership. One of the dealerships who quoted me that price was South Bay Acura, which has not had some good reports from other Acura buyers. (Bait and switch, according to some....to be fair, I haven't dealt w/them)

All I could find, w/the IS250, if I wanted just the basic , was at least the premium pkg. w/o NAV. Everyone quoted me an IS w/premium....18" wheels, and so on. The KBB price, I think is w/o the prem. pkg.
  • dr_gdr_g Posts: 21
    I shopped 3 Lexus dealers including Cerritos Lexus. Neither dealership was willing to move from their price even when I told them I was consider a G35 or a TL. In comparison Infiniti and Acura dealerships were willing to play ball to make a sale. Maybe last month's sales number might have changed the Lexus' dealership's attitude. I shopped dealers in Riverside, OC, and LA county and regionality didn't seem to help.

With regards to needing premium fuel, both the IS and TL could run on lower grades, if it were an emergency, but I wouldn't make it a habit. The cars are designed for having a higher compression ratio and running a lower octane under higher revs could cause chamber damage. If regular gas was $0.90 then I could see where premium gas would be an issue since assuming it's $0.20 more that would about at least 15% more in price. With gas in SoCal running over $3.50 the extra for premium is a diminished issue in my eyes. Better driving habits and proper car maintenance would play a better role in fuel costs (nice to know I have my TPMS on my TL :) )

Fl, I'm glad to hear you're happy with your IS. My neighbor down the street has a new IS 350 which I was checking out daily before buying my TL. When I sat in the IS and those gauges ran forward and back (when turning on) I was like "wow". I'm not sure if your comment about not getting followed on the 91/605 was directed towards myself or the OP. I've never been one to have a need to have people stare at me - my whole purpose in keeping my car looking mundane even when it's modded to the hilt. Having done police ride alongs when I was a kid I prefer not to attract attention. That being said, it's not keeping the other docs from checking out my car parked in the doctors lot - a nice feeling when some of them are driving $200K+ vehicles :D
  • superspysuperspy Posts: 1
    There are so many messages on here that I decided to reply to the source.
    I purchased a 2006 Acura TSX about a month ago and I love it. I wanted to make a correction, however. There was some confusion because the TL and IS 250 both take 91 octane fuel; the TSX does as well. I get about 25 miles a gallon. The car gives automatic readings of the fuel economy as you are driving and you can actually click on it to average it out. I love the voice activated, blue tooth enabled cell phone system, it is great. I thought about the TL and I just couldn't see spending that much more for a car with worse fuel economy considering the TSX offers so much.
    My very good friend owns a 2003 IS 300 and he is envious of my new car. He keeps trying to trade me but I tell him that I don't want his crappy Lexus. :D
  • tdgtdg Posts: 6
    All of your posts (well, most of your posts) have been very helpful so far. I currently drive the model year Durango ('98) - yeah, ouch. I'm tied of the SUV craze, even though I bought mine for work reasons (I was a surveyor needing 4WD). At any rate, I'm considering the Acura TSX and the IS 250. I'm not concerned with the 2008 design, or power really (If I wanted power, I'd keep my Durango). I'm looking for the best bang for the buck. I'm leaning toward the TSX, but I must say, the IS 250 has great lines. Oh yeah, and I don't need navigation, seeing as how I used to make maps for a living. The bottom line is, which car would you be happier driving 4 years from now? Interested in your insight.
  • doggiebusdoggiebus Posts: 11
    I had the same issue (the TSX was the best bang for the buck) and I was getting out of an SUV. I usually keep my cars for six to seven years. I decided on the IS 250. I too don't need the Navigation, but it would be nice. After much research the IS just seemed to be a better match for me. Go on JD Power and do a comparision. The IS 250 comes out with an overall 5 stars and the TSX and TL come out with an overall 3 stars. There is a reason the Acuras didn't get 5 stars????
  • shackl4d23shackl4d23 Posts: 4
    Just some thoughts for you all:

I work in the car business I can tell you what at IS 250 invoice is. I actually have one from a 250 and 350 in my bag at work. The 250 invoice is for about $27,900. No way will you get a dealer to sell to you for invoive unless you have a connection. I usually can buy for invoice but I am not sure in this case, with the new design. These cars are marked up significantly compared with a G35. I haven't had a chance to look at a TL or TSx invoice yet but will in a couple of months.

I had thought I wanted a G35. Then I saw the IS. Wanted that for a month an now I just don't know. I test drove the IS, expecting to fall in love with it but didn't. I love the exterior and the seats are really comfortable but I was not impressed with the console and dash. I am 6'2 and the IS cabin felt almost claustrophobic to me. Beautiful but man it was small.

Haven't driven the TL or TSX yet but starting to like those.

One thing to keep in mind. Cars, no matter the manufacturer, are depreciating assets, you will lose money. I definitely want something along the line of BMW, Lexus, Acura but believe my money may be better sent getting a 2004 or 2005 TL, TX or GS300. I have a hard time settling on a car as I have been actively looking for 2 years. So I will probably get a used one to hold me over for another few years so that when I am choosing a car, I don't have to be to concerned with pricing myself out of car.

In the car purchasing world, the smartest thing you can do is buy a used vehicle less than 1 year old. Most cases, you can get these with less than 10k in miles, several thougsand dollars less and the upfront depreciation is already gone. Best of luck.
  • ontopontop Posts: 279
    the smartest thing you can do is buy a used vehicle less than 1 year old

Do you really believe that? You obviously can't even make up your mind about buying a car, so for you to throw out a blanket statement like that is taken with a grain of salt.

Go to a car dealer and see what they want for a 1 year old car with less than 10K miles. They don't give em away like you say. I know. I tried. Or you try a private seller but there's no warranty and getting a used expensive car financed by your bank is a PITA with all the back and forth. Plus you NEVER know what the history of the car is (short of a carfax). Why did someone bolt on their car so soon?

I don't know man. I say do your Edmunds homework, get your lowball suit on, spend a little time at a few dealers, and you'll get a brand new car at a great price. Better financing, better warranty, nice low odometer, no history mystery, and that new car smell! Who wants someone elses farts and hairs and smells in their expensive car? Not me. I'll buy new.
  • johnny420johnny420 Posts: 473
    Go on JD Power and do a comparision. The IS 250 comes out with an overall 5 stars and the TSX and TL come out with an overall 3 stars. There is a reason the Acuras didn't get 5 stars????

Ah, yes, JD Power, the pentultimate automotive authority. By God, if JDP says one car is better than another, then it must be so!

I really hope you didn't select your IS based soley on skewed JDP data. Tell me you chose it for the right reasons.
  • meateatermeateater Posts: 123
    I thought about the TL and I just couldn't see spending that much more for a car with worse fuel economy considering the TSX offers so much.

Actually the TL gets 32 mpg highway, and about 22 city. Not bad considering the TL will absolutely smoke the TSX. Not even a comparison. Even a Sonata LX and a V6 Camry will paste the TSX. But then again, the TSX offers so much... And if you have to consider the added cost of premium fuel into your car buying decision, you can't afford these cars.

The TSX needs a turbo.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Posts: 650
    I've had my 2006 TSX for about 6 months now and I could not be happier. The car is great looking, quick, sporty, comfortable, roomy (I was surprised at the amount of stuff I could put in the trunk with the seats folded) and very luxurious. I got a great deal on it, while those IS 250's were selling at full sticker. This car is a keeper no matter how many new TSX's Acura decides to put out in the future. No regrets here, it is one of the best cars I've owned. :shades:
  • shackl4d23shackl4d23 Posts: 4
    To Ontop and others -

That statement I made about the smartest thing you can do is purchase a car less than 1 year old with less than 10k in miles is not my statement. That comes from the General Managers at many dealerships I work with. I think these guys would know a little more about the car business than I do and you do. One GM I know in particular, thinks buying a new car is the biggest waste of money there is.

An by the way, I did say cars less than 1 year old and 10k miles. For 90% of the cars meeting these qualifications, the reason the original customer got out of the car is because they could not affor the car payment after a few months or the gas for a big SUV. Not because something is wrong with the car.
  • doggiebusdoggiebus Posts: 11
    No I actually picked the IS because of many reasons. Go on what ever comparison site you like. The Lexus will beat the Acura in over all comparison.
  • tdgtdg Posts: 6
    doggiebus and others...

I appreciate the feedback. I don't get too religious about car manufacturers, considering almost all the parts that go into any car are actually made by third parties, many of which distribute across 'party lines.' My brother works for GM, but he already hates me for buying my last Dodge, so I think I can get away with not buying a Cadillac.

So it seems like this comes down to the buyer's needs (as I suppose it would). I think I've made up my mind on the TSX - mostly for the reason most people don't even consider it in the same class (FWD). We get some bad weather in the winter, and I don't feel like springing for the AWD versions of all the other cars in the class. If I did that, I'd buy a loaded Subaru Legacy sedan... hmmm, now there's a thought.

Thanks again.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Actually, your numbers are a little off...20City/29Hwy for the TL, 22/31 for the TSX; the 22/32 you state is closer to that of the TSX, or my car, and Accord EX I-4 (I get 30 MPG regularly, EPA estimates 24/34).

I don't think anyone here is claiming the TSX to be a drag-racer...It's a handler. It's purpose isn't to win in the straight-line; it's excellent at handling a twisty road. Drive one, and you'll know (assuming you haven't already).
  • moto7moto7 Posts: 13
    I sold a Saab turbo 9000, which was a great car, but for a new car, I did not like the new saab design or reputed reliability rating. The car that I chose was the 2005 TL. Can't compare the IS 250, but the TSX is not in the same class as the TL. TSX - fun, smaller, good value, but the TL is just as sporty with more luxury, power and just down right FUN to drive. Mileage is 30mpg hwy (but don't like the premium gas requirement). Ride is stiff and is little bumpy but the handling is more important to me. Sound system is top notch.
  • jeffw330jeffw330 Posts: 13
    Three great cars! Of them, I have driven the IS250 AWD and TSX, and can only imagine what the TL is like. Both the TSX and IS250 lack blistering acceleration, but handle corners well and have good amounts of pep for most driving. Passing cars and getting onto freeway exits seemed to require downshifting, but once at speed, moving into higher gear made for pleasant cruising. The TSX is way less expensive than the IS 250 models I have seen because the Lexus (here) normally comes with the premium package or other stuff.

Best prices I could find in Oregon (no NAV) are TSX - $26,700, IS250 RWD + Premium package $34,900, IS250 AWD base $33,000. Our product mix up here for the Lexus line seems to be IS250AWD or IS350.

The Lexus seems to be more refined and have a better fit and finish than the TSX, however, not by the margin that the price differences would suggest.

As an aside, for being straight out of college, if you want to save a few $$, the Honda Accord EXv6 can be had for $24, 400 and runs on regular unleaded. Not as cool or luxurious as the other three, but not a homely car by any means.
    That's nothing more than your opinion there, doggiebus. That and a buck will get you a cup of 7-11 coffee.
    Actually the TL gets 32 mpg highway, and about 22 city. Not bad considering the TL will absolutely smoke the TSX. Not even a comparison. Even a Sonata LX and a V6 Camry will paste the TSX. But then again, the TSX offers so much... And if you have to consider the added cost of premium fuel into your car buying decision, you can't afford these cars.

The TSX needs a turbo.

You're right, the Camry, Sonata and TL will smoke the TSX in a straight line. So what? If you think the Sonata and Camry will give you anywhere near the driving experience the TSX will, you're sadly mistaken.