Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• vizyovizyo Posts: 35
    It makes the noise when the speed reaches to 15km/h (around 10mph). It does it in reverse direction as well. Today I noticed that it has also started making the same noise at around 20mph. The noise happens only once until I park and wait for a few minutes and move the car again. The first one at 15kmh (10mph) is more stronger than the second one. It does not seem to be coming from ABS. It is more like something is hitting the tank.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    It's hard to say how loud, but it is noticeable, and it sounds like a "thunk". I am sure yours is fine.

The ABS system uses sensors to look at the wheel rotating. If it sees the wheel about to stop rotating while braking, then the ABS kicks in and it pumps the brakes extremely quickly to keep the wheel rotating, preventing locking the wheels and the corresponding loss of steering control. I am guessing that the system is checking its sensors when starting to move forward.

Seriously, all ABS systems operate like this - yours is fine. If you still have doubts (and time to kill), have the dealer check it.
  • ram12ram12 Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I exactly have the same problem, with my 2007 May Camry.. I have run piller to post, from one NJ dealer to the other, nothing works, still I have the same steering vibration problem, which I had been facing from Day1. At high speeds >70 MPH, on smooth roads, the steering starts vibrating, it is highly uncomfortable to drive..
    Did any one have any solution to it...
    Please help me
    Ram12
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Ram,

Vibrations which begin at 55mph +, are typically tires out of balance. But could also be to a lesser percentage of the time, tires with bad belts, rims out of balance/bent, and even sometimes bad/defective suspension parts.

If this was my vehicle, I'd take the tires and have them road-force balanced. It's a special balancing machine, that balances the tires while they are under load as if simulating carrying the weight of the vehicle, as opposed to just unloaded spin balancing. Do an internet search, and you should be able to find a shop near you.

road force balance
    If you want to verify that the ABS selftest is indeed the source of your noise, do the following (as I did after I first heard the noise two years ago),

Open the hood, have someone else start the car and start pulling out of the garage. You put your hand on the ABS pump and walk along as the car is moving. You'll undoubtedly feel the clunk when it does its' test. Keep feet out from under the wheels, and hand away from the moving belts and pulleys. Choose a driver who likes you, count your fingers when done.

Work for Toyota....hah...you obviously haven't done your homework.
  • ram12ram12 Posts: 2
    Kiawah,
    The last dealer, I went to, did the Road Force Balancing also, he detected wrong rotors, he changed them and still the problem exists...
    Do you suggest any Good Dealer to find the problem...
    The Car has run just 16000 miles...
    I think what you will need to do, is to isolate whether the problem is with your tires/wheels combo, or with the vehicle itself. I'd suggest having your dealer swap a complete different set of wheels/tires onto your car.....or put your wheels on another vehicle and then drive it.

If the vibration moves with the wheels/tire combo...you know the problem is in that combo. If the problem stays with the vehicle, then you know the problem is in your suspension and you'll undoubtedly need to get the Toyota regional rep involved.
    I searched this on the net and found the same complaints. They also mention it is ABS self checking noise and it is normal. I do not know how such a noise can be normal on a new car !! I had 2003 matrix XRS and never had that noise. My camry was not doing it in the first 6 months or so. Since it was not doing it before how can it be normal now !! Now, it's has started doing it twice (one at 15kmh and the second one at 30kmh). The second noise just started about a week ago. Both are very loud. Nothing is going right with this car. About a week ago, I started having rattles all over the places (dashboard & doors) that I did not have before. It is very irritating. I tought that it could have been because of weather condition, but it's been quite stable for the last two months. My camry has only 10,000km. I am not going to be surprised to see more troubles with this car.
    There's a TSB for dash rattles, do a little searching of these forums.
  • amy22amy22 Posts: 4
    Did not mean to offend by suggesting you work for Toyota...
    We can try the test you suggested, I'm not exactly sure where the abs is though. And I guess I'm still wondering why we didn't hear this sound in the beginning and why I never heard it in any of the Camry's I test drove? Or in any other car I've ever owned. It is becoming more frequent now also. I fully expect it to start happening with ever lower speed shift like some others are saying. Also the car randomly slips a gear at higher speeds. This just seems like the same old trans. problems I've been hearing about. I could go into more detail for you about what the car was doing over the winter too...apparently I have the only car that should never be washed in the winter time or it becomes undriveable.
  • amy22amy22 Posts: 4
    Imagine that, you have rattles too. My crossbar (under the headliner) was rattling. We couldn't figure out what it was but we mentioned it when we brought it in for this other problem and they said it was a loose crossbar and fixed it, but it started rattling again. I'm so tired of dealing with these problems. If it was just one thing wrong that would be different but other weird things too. This car was undriveable at one point this past winter (longer story), we'll see what happens when it gets cold out again.
    Today I booked an appointment with Toyota for rattles and also the noise at the back. The person in Toyota told me that rattle on dash is common and it is missing some pads in 2007 models. They will take down the whole dash to fix it. I am now worrying that this may create more rattles in a long term if they do not put everything back properly. The door on the driver's side rattles as well. I do not know when I am going to be done with all fixing on this car. My camry was unfinished with a lot of defects and problems. I am really tired of taking it to service. I am wondering about what they will say for the "knocking" noise coming from the back. I will post it.
    I was wondering if you had any problem after having rattles fixed on the dash? I am having the same problem and Toyota service informed me that they would take the whole dash down to fix it. I am now worrying if this could create more rattles afterwards. I do not have much confidence in their service quality.
    The ABS pump, is up in the engine compartment, on the passenger side, way up in the front corner. It's right next to the plastic radiator overflow resevoir. It has 4 or 5 metal tubings coming up out of the top of the pump. The motor is on the back side of it, shaped like a metal can. You can feel it self test and clunk once after starting and you begin rolling.

Can you describe the 'randomnly slips a gear at higher speeds' problem?
    Knocking coming from the rear, is usually caused by one of a couple problems:
    - something is loose in the trunk rolling around, or the jack/spare tire equipment is loose
    - the muffler exhaust system has a hanger loose, and is banging against a suspension or frame part. You can check this yourself, grab the exhaust (when cold), and wiggle it back and forth, and forward and backward.
    - the rear suspension strut is loose (or defective), or wasn't assembled correctly and is binding as it's compressing.
    I do not think it is any of those you listed. It makes the first noise at exactly 15kmh (10mph) and second one at 30kmh. It perfectly repeats at the same speeds. If it was muffler or suspension, it should make the noise more randomly. I am taking the car to the service this wednesday. They will check it and also fix the rattle on the dash. I am still debating if I should get the noise on the dash fixed. They will take the whole dash down, I am worried that it is going to generate more noise afterwards.
  • torn8otorn8o Posts: 31
    Was a TIN ever put out to fix the accelerator delay problem in the 2007 Camry, or is this something one has to deal with? I'm really tired of nearly getting "creamed" by oncoming traffic when I try to dart out from a sideroad and my Camry sits still and/or rolls slowly forward for 2 seconds instead of accelerating.

My dash still rattles (even after two TINs being performed on it), but the upshot is, I'm used to it by now and pretty much over it. :-)
  • torn8otorn8o Posts: 31
    Oops.. I meant TSB (Technical Service Bulletin), not TIN.

Just to clarify, I drive a 2007 V6 SE... bought it new 04/10/2006.

Thanks for any help.
    The TSB's for hesitation work great, no more hesitation. But they are for the 4 cylinder, I have not heard of hesitation for the 6 cylinder??? Anyone else?
  • nmarcel1nmarcel1 Posts: 21
    There is a TSB for the hesitation problem... I had it installed... it did kind of fix the issue... but to be honest.. my hesitation problem was not as bad as you describe yours.. I've learn to adjust the way I press the gas pedal to avoid the hesitation problem that still exists.. we should not have to accept that but Toyota just has not fixed the problem entirely... Also, I had the TSB installed for the dash board rattle. At 1st it seemed to quiet the noise but to be honest... it did not make it go away. The noise is really present when it is cold... I live in NY and I expect the noise to be back in the fall and winter of this year.

The repair requires "Noise Kit #08231-00801", and "Wind Noise Kit #08231-00810". Toyota allowed the dealer 4.5 hours for the repair (under warranty).... to be honest, in my case I do not believe the dealer installed these kits... I could not detect 1 thing disturb anywhere around the dash... it just seems impossible that the tech's would be able to remove and replace the entire dash without a trace that it was disturb.... oh well... I'll see how bad it gets when it gets cold again and I will bring it back if the noise comes back.

The bulletin number is: NV008-07
  • bobbabobba Posts: 3
    In response to your message regarding accelleration delay. I too struggled with delayed accelleration and had OBC reprogrammed 2 times. Did not help. Ironically I replaced the air filter and it drove like a different car. Perhaps the initial filter restricted air flow. Try it. It may resolve the problem. Let me know if it worked for you.
    Torn,
    The TSB's I believe the others are mentioning apply to the I4. I am not aware of any TSB for V6 hesitation (and from what I've heard nobody is complaining about the V6 not having enough get up and go!).....so I'm suspecting you have something uniquely wrong with yours.

Have you driven another where you can see the difference, and has it been experienced by the service manager?
  • thomasj2thomasj2 Posts: 12
    The difference for me was like night and day. The TSB for this worked perfectly and there was no after affects from removing the dash. I would highly recommend that you have it done. I will say though that I have high confidence in the dealership and the same service adviser where I have been going to for some time now. Before them, I had one dealership I would never trust because of their lack of knowledge in trying to fix a problem with a Tacoma I once had. :mad:
    Hopefully your dealership will take good care of you. :)
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    Good Morning All:
    I have not been on this board for long time! ------ I will be taking my V6 XLE Camry in for it's 30,000 mile service. The vehicle is 16 months old, and I do not have any of the issues that I see posted on this board. I would have more miles on this vehicle, but I have a second car.
    Those of you who have read my posting in the past know that I change the oil and filter every 2,500 miles at the dealer. I just believe in VERY GOOD maintenance.
    I am not saying that problems do not exist with this vehicle, but how can I have a vehicle that does not have any of these issues, and other owners have all these problems? ------------- Did I just get "LUCKY"?
    I love the ride and the comfort of the XLE. On long trips I have gotten the MPG computer up to 34mpg without the use of the cruise control. This was done on 87 "off brand" gasoline.
    Once I get to around 95,000 miles I will be looking to trade in this vehicle. (The extended warranty is for 6 years or 100,000 miles. I will not own a vehicle without a warrnty. They are just too expensive to repair!) --------- One of the vehicles that I will consider will be a new XLE Camry. ----- I will also look at a Chevrolet Impala.
    Best regards to all. ----- Dwayne
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    Impala? Why? If you're going to consider a Chevy, why not the much more modern Malibu?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,524
    Glad to see your post to know you're doing fine and happy with your car.
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    Hi All:
    Took the Camry in for it's 30,000 mile service on Tuesday morning, (Oil & Filter, Tire Rotation, Brake Check ----- etc.). While it was there, I had the power steering fluid changed and the throttle body cleaned. When I drove out of the shop and entered the highway, I noticed that the engine was "VERY RESPONSIVE"! ---- Yes there is something to be said for a "clean throttle body!"
    Best regards to all. ------- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
    I agree, cleaning the throttle body is a great idea.
  • mayrogemayroge Posts: 9
    Recently, we have noticed a foul musty odor coming from the inside vents when starting the car and the fan is running, in our 4 cyl 2007 4-door Camry LE, which now has about 5900 miles on it. The bad smell goes away after several minutes, but returns each time after we turn off the vehicle, for say more than an hour and then start it up again. We are geographically located where high humidity exists most of the year.

I took it to a Toyota dealer, and the service reps basically told me I should NOT be using the recirculate position on the fan when I park the car and shut off the engine. They did check the cabin A/C filter and said it was not the source of the smell. They said that because of the design of the evaporator box in the Toyota A/C, the box will accumulate moisture if the air control is left on re-circulate when the car is turned off. Switching to recirculate several seconds before shutting off the engine will allow the box to drain moisture properly. At first, they didn't even want to write up a ticket, but I insisted on it, so it would be documented for Toyota (and us). At least they DID keep the vehicle overnight and used an "ozone machine" on it for several hours the next morning, which was supposed to kill all the bacteria or whatever was causing the odor. I am grateful that the dealer did at least take this action.

While I cannot dispute the reasoning to use "fresh air" prior to shutting off the car, I feel like Toyota has once again settled for mediocrity (just like the transmission hesitation issue). What bothers us most is that we have only had the vehicle for a little over a year, while we have had OTHER vehicles for 8-10 years, parked them in the same garage, ran them in the same environment and had NO issues like this, even though we never concerned ourselves with switching the air control, like we NOW have to do with the Camry. Has anyone else had this issue or found a TSB for it? I am trying to get an idea of how wide-spread the issue is.
    In a hot and high humidity area as well, and have not experieinced that problem you define. However, I have to say we never use the recirculation setting either. Sometimes it gets turned on by accident by turning the temperature selector all the way counter-clockwise, but we then turn it off so we have fresh air coming in.

There is no TSB for this that I have or have seen.