Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• lucky_777lucky_777 Posts: 205
    Don't know why you posted in this particular thread about 09 Camry having problems, because 09 Camry came long way from 07. Early 2007 models had numerous problems, mostly with V6 transmission and V6 - I4 transmission software that took Toyota some time to resolve. I suggest you go to 2009 Camry thread and see for yourself that things turned around and Camry is what it used to be. Unless you're looking to buy 2007 model, there is not much to say about 09 problems. I wanted to buy 08-09 Accord myself (I've owned 6 Gen Accord for worry free 9 years!) but after test driving an Accord I purchased a 09 Camry. Toyota is currently running 0% for 36 month financing that is hard to beat.

BTW Most Accords are made in the US including the one that I owned. Odysseys made in Canada.
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    Good Morning b10609:
    When I purchased my 2007 XLE V6 Camry I owned a 2003 Honda 4 cylinder Accord. I had this vehicle for almost 90,000 miles. The front seats were NOT very comfortable! The back of the seat would hit the side of my body, before my spine would touch the back of the seat. I ended up using a pillow to improve this issue. In addition, the bottom of the seat was not very soft, and on long highway trips, I needed a "Chiropractor to get out of the vehilce" at a rest stop!

In 2007, I looked at a new Accord. I took a test ride on both the 4 cylinder and the 6 cylinder models, both with cloth and leather. The seats were a little better than the 2003 Accord, but not as comfortable as the 2007 XLE V6 Camry or the Chevrolet Impala.

I would have purchased a 2007 Impala, but I could not find a stock vehicle in New Jersey with the LT2 trim level. (I will not order a vehicle from the factory! TOO many problems with this process!!!!!!) So, I purchased a 2007 V6 Camry. I now have almost 36,000 miles on this vehicle, and I do not have any problems with this vehicle. It is VERY comfortable and VERY powerful. I average 30mpg on the highway using off-brand 87 octane fuel. The vehicle is 20 months old and it is serviced by the selling dealer. My next vehicle will be either a Camry or a Chevrolet product. (I will look at the Honda again to see it they have improved their seats.)

My suggestion would be to drive the Accord, and play attention to the quality and the comfort of the seats. I might go back to the Honda Accord if the seats were as comfortable as the Camry / Impala. I purchased the V6 Camry because the 4 cylinder Camry did not have the power of the 4 cylinder Accord!

Best regards. ------------ Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Posts: 205
    Just my 02 cents on Accord seats. My wife was a primary driver for a 99 Accord and for the last few years she complained on back pain in the mornings. I could never figure out that problem was in Accord seats. Now my wife drives 09 LE that comes with adjustable lumbar support and morning back pain went away.

Also current generation Camry I4 is quicker (0-60) and has shorter stopping distance that current generation I4 Accord (older gen Accord was quicker!).
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    ...I'd take the Malibu in a heartbeat (no pun intended) over the Impala. The Malibu is a fresh design on the long-wheelbase Epsilon platform (which also underlies the Pontiac G6 and Saturn Aura), whereas the Impala has its roots in the GM-10 (W-cars) introduced 20 years ago. From what I have read, rear seat room is rather cramped in the Impala for a car of its external size.

Still, I've been extremely pleased with my prior generation (2004 and 2005) Camry 4-cylinders, and I wouldn't hesitate (again no pun intended) to buy a 2009 4-cylinder model. The Accord sounds like a fine alternative as well, although again I'd get a 4-cylinder.
    Good Morning 210delray:

I like the Chevrolet products. Now having said that, there is also a financial issue associated with the Chevrolet vehicles!

As you know from the above posting, I own a 2007 V6 XLE Camry. I have a 6 year "top-of-the-line" Toyota 100,000 mile Extended Warranty on this vehicle, because I am on the road a large part of my working day. I put at least 22,000 miles on my vehicles each year, SO, with this fact in mind in four years I will have 88,000 miles. The vehicle will be paid-off in three (3) years, and at that point I will start looking for a replacement vehicle. ------ (The reason for this action is because the Camry might have a better trade in at 66,000 miles than one year later at 88,000 miles. In addition, if I wait the additional year, I will have put new tires and brakes on the vehicle, so then I need to run it to 100,000 miles to get my money back. At that point the vehicle is worth nothing on a trade! The mileage is TOO high!)

Now lets put the Chevrolet vehicle into the mix. If I had purchased a 2007 Chevrolet Impala would the trade in value of the Impala be the same as the Camry after three (3) years? My guess is that I would take a major financial hit on an Impala of the same price as the Camry. YES, the Impala is a very good vehicle, and it is very comfortable, ---- but does it hold its value like the Camry? -------- (Remember your trade-in value is part of your down payment on the new vehicle!)--------- In addition, finding a Chevrolet Dealer in my area that has a "good reputation" could be an issue! They tend to be a "highway type / high pressure" operation! The only dealers that are one step lower than the Chevrolet dealers in my area are the Chrysler dealers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From a mechanical point of view, I think both the Chevrolet and the Toyota are about the same. As you know from reading this board, some people are having issues with their V6 Camry. I do not have any of these problems. Chevrolet has A/C, alternator and brake rotor issues. The bottom line is that when you purchase a vehicle, after all is said and done, it is the "luck of the draw"! ----- Your overall experience with the vehicle is only as good as the servicing dealership. I was lucky with the Honda, and now with the Toyota. Both dealers are great in terms of sevice.

Best reagrds: ------------ Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • jlong5jlong5 Posts: 5
    Greetings! I currently have 29K miles on my 07 Camry. All four Bridgestone Turanza EL 400 tires are bald. P215 / 60R 16. Looking for a comparable tire.

My local dealer suggests Yokohama (SP?) but for 4 tires and balancing, we're talking $700 or more.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    check out tirerack.com.

Same vehicle, more miles, replaced my Michelin Energy something or other (MVC4's??), with another Michelin. (Pilot Exalto AS) Local tire shop NTB, matched the tirerack prices. I was out the door for 550 (including spin mounting and 7% state tax, and a bunch of other miscellaneous state tire disposal and environmental taxes). However, also received a Michelin 60 rebate check already, and have a 50 NTB rebate coming. So when all is said and done, it'll cost less than 450.

Nice tire, we're pleased.
  • dwb2dwb2 Posts: 24
    The bridgestone tires are crap and have no longevity. Go with either michelins or yokohama. Both very good tires and good warranties.
    Good Morning All:
    When I saw my Camry for the first time during the "test drive" it had Bridgestone tires! ---- I made it VERY CLEAR to the salesperson that I would NOT purchase the vehicle with Bridgestone tires. He agreed to change the tires to Michelin. ------------ I now have 36,000 miles on the vehicle, and the tires are still in good condition. (The tires are rotated every 5,000 miles!)

I would NEVER own a vehicle with either Bridgestone or Firestone tires. I feel that these products are an "accident" looking for a place to happen!

Go with Michelin tires, and get a four wheel alignment with the new tires!

Best regards! --------------- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    "...these products are an "accident" looking for a place to happen..."

....as would be any tire that is dangerously under-inflated in order to reduce the propensity for rollover of an otherwise top heavy SUV, say such as a Ford Explorer.
  • b10609b10609 Posts: 37
    Hello Dwayne - thanks very much for your views on the V-6 Camry and seating comfort in those cars. Having been away to Fall Hershey in the meantime since I posted my issues, I gather there are fewer concerns with the current models. The Consumers reports are based on earlier V-6 models and they should be corrected by now. I'll be looking at the Impala as well as seating comfort is all important since I'm 6 ft 3 ins. The front lower seat cushion is often too short for me, A recent 1,500 km drive in a rented RAV 4 was a classic example to me - the seating was very poor in that model.- support was almost non-existant for taller people. All of the other responses to me were appreciated - Edmunds is the best website on car issues ! - My best regards go to everyone out there - from a friend in Canada
  • Thank you for your responses (love this forum!). I finally got the dealer to change the power-steering pump covered under warranty (after extensive road test comparing my car and the camry rental units). Unfortunately, I'm still hearing the same noise and it doesn't seem to get better.
    I've scheduled another appointment with service advisor, but would like to get feedback as to what could possibly go wrong (assuming they install a working power steering pump properly).
  • notmybmwnotmybmw Posts: 101
    Hi, gang, thanks for all the interesting reading.

Two questions:
    1. Does anyone have a downloadable source for the famous 068-08 TSB? Please post a link. I hear all about this TSB but have never seen the actual doc. In fact, it might be a US model specific fix, but I'd like to see it anyway. Thanks.

2. Secondly, does anyone in/from Canada have a list of all the TSBs that have been issued for the Canadian version of the '07 Camry 4cyl 5speed automatic? My dealer (Performance Toyota in St. Catharines, Ontario) has a real bad attitude......didn't even know that TSB's existed relating to hesitation and acceleration and shifting problems. (Did their best to make me look like an idiot and a trouble maker.)

I'd really like to educate them......and put a flyer on the windshield of every recent model Camry I see in town. (Performance is the ONLY dealer in town....and I'm sure they'd love to see all their Camry owners about this fix ASAP........NOT!)

They've booked me in to perform what THEY are calling a 2650! Did I read somewhere on this forum that this is an internal Toyota admin number and not the actual number of the TSB?

Thanks for any informed responses.
    P.S. Can I see a show of hands for whether or not there should be a "Canadian only" version of the "problems" forum?......knowing how many of the fuel, exhaust, emissions etc systems are different from one country to another? Just askin.
    Ciao!
  • Hey Canada--
    I'd love to see that TSB too. My transmission ('07 Camry LE 6 speed automatic) was replaced 2 times already. I still think the shifting isn't perfect, but the service dept insists it is. Now, after the 2nd time they changed the transmission I'm noticing a very foul odor coming out of the vents. They're going to change the blower motor next week, but I find it strange that I'm having a number of problems with this car.
    Re: the Canadian only forum--you were kidding, right? I mean--seriously--the Camry's are all constructed the same way. No???
  • Thank you so much for posting your message! I thought I was crazy, but I also notice a "thunk" noise when I start my car in the morning and put it in reverse. It sounds like something is banging in the trunk, yet there's nothing in there! I'm bringing my car in for service next week, and I'm definitely mentioning this!
  • chuck28chuck28 Posts: 259
    The thunk noise is probabally the fuel tank. You probabally notice it more when the tamk is full. I have the same problem. Just another issue Toyota isn't going public with.
    I also have poor shifting with my 2007 v-6 I'm getting ready to take it in again and hope Toyota has a fix. I too can use any info on TSB.

Keep complaining and call the 1800 #

God Bless
    Has anyone who didn't hear about the ECM Calibration to enhance shifting performance and smoothness till long after their symptoms appeared had subsequent problems with transaxles?
    I have this "rumbling sound" coming from somewhere "below"....and I don't know what it might be. Sounds kinda like an old fashioned "U-joint".
    Just wondering if the two years of drive-by-wire herky jerky transmission banging/shifting/unshifting etc has finally taken a toll on my driveshafts (transaxles) and destroyed a bearing or two.
    Thoughts? Thanks.
    Mike
    Heck no, sewcoolsue......US and Canadian cars are VERY different in many ways, starting with things as basic as speedometers that read in kilometers up here....and miles down there.
    BTW, are you in Canada or the US?
    Also BTW, you say you have an LE Camry with a 6 speed AT. You mean 5 speed, don't you? I don't think Camry had a 6 spd tranny in 07, at least not on a 4cyl. (is there even a 6cyl LE? I don't think so.)
    Anyway, yeah......where are all those Canadian who HAVE had ANY TSBs performed for transmission smoothnes? Is everyone sick of hearing about this?

I'd REALLY like to have a copy of either or both of ANY Canadian transmission TSB and the much talked about 068-08 TSB (which my dealer says is American-only)

Anyone?????
    Thanks, Mike
    The TSB has been posted prior in one of these forums, I've printed it out and taken it to my dealership. Don't remember whether in the Camry problems forum, or possibly Camry transmission forum.

I have a softcopy on it and all the other TSB's on my server, which unfortunately is down with a motherboard problem and I haven't had time to fix it for a couple of days. If you search and look long enough in the Camry forum's, you'll find it.

For the automatic's,.....the V6 has the 6 speed transmission, the I4 has the 5 speed transmission.

Shifting from Miles to Meters on the speedo is a software config setting

Vehicle runs great after the TSB.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Search here or Google for:

airsept odor gym eed
    Hi, kiawah....thanks for your input, but....
    a) I've looked at hundreds of pages on this website and am not finding a downloadable copy of 068-08, nor any Canada TSBs. Would love some help with this.
    b) re: transmissions, the fellow I was answering said his LE had a 6speed AT, which we both know is not possible. The LE is a 4cyl config.
    c) speedometers: miles to kilometers is not a software setting, it's a physically different face on the speedo. Ours (Canadian) have LARGE kilometre readings on the outer rim of the dial and smaller mileage numbers on the inner circle. Yours (US version) would have the reverse, or, more likely just mileage numbers (since Americans are allergic to the metric system.......LOL!!!) Plus, there are lots of other differences with regard to exhaust system fire guards, emissions controls etc. (This is why Toyota Canada had no TSB's on the 07 Camry till well after the yanks.)
    Regards,
    Scotty
    I'm right there with you, captain2.
    I've just recently "discovered" that there is a fix for my longterm (June '06 purchase date) hesitation/shifting problems on my 07 Camry.
    I've looked around a lot, but am still having problems finding Canadian equivalents of the many U.S. TSBs I see referenced on the site.
    My dealer steadfastly refused to believe/admit there was a problem until I took them the 0068-08.......which they correctly identified as an American document, but which prodded them to look for the Canadian version, which they of course found. (even though they won't show it to me....even though they've "done it" to my car!) Strange, yes?
    Now, as a gesture of contrition on their part, I want them to perform any and all other 2007 Camry 4cyl 5AT TSBs on a complimentary basis......but they obviously can't be counted on to "dig out" these TSBs of their own volition. I'D like to present them to THEM...but I gotta find them first.
    Any suggestions for source? (other than another Can. Toyota dealer?)
    Thanks.........to anyone......if you have a list or a source.
    Cheers,
    Scotty
    p.a. is this thread "dead" for some reason? I haven't seen a new posting for three days.............??
    Is this fix u are talking about for a V-6 or 4 cyl ? Do you have the TSB info?

Thanks
    Back when I was keeping track of these, here is the list of TSB's that I had.

Partial List TSB's
    I'm looking for the latest TSB for 2007 V-6 camry. If anyone has any info I would appeciate it?
    Thank you, chuck
    Hi, Chuck.

The "fix" (Technical Service Bulletin) that I have a printed copy of is the 0068-08. This is the US market fix for 4 cylinder Camrys and Solaras, both automatic and manual 5-speed transmission models. This TSB supersedes the EG036-07 which was presumably an earlier version of the fix.
    The Canadian version of this TSB was referred to by my dealer as the 2650. However, I haven't been able to find a printed version of it. My dealer's service manager is a jerk and wouldn't give me a copy of it, even though the work has already been done on my car.
    He initially didn't even know the TSB existed. When I told him there had to be one, based on what I had read, he finally got off his butt and found it. He didn't, however, do the proper run-in that is defined in the documentation. Nor did he know he was required to apply an "Authorized Modification Label" under the hood when completed. When I advised him this was mandatory......he checked.......and, whaddayaknow.....it IS mandatory. He said he'd mail it to me. I said "no you won't....you'll call me in and YOU'LL apply it."
    He's not a happy camper. Too bad.
  • I just got a 2009 Camry XLE with the Smart Key Entry System. I wnet to BestBuy to have a remote starter installed. At the end of the day they told me that the bypass units they had would not work. They told me my only option was to buy the remote starter from Toyota and they would install it for me.

Has anyone had success with a 3rd party remote start for this vehicle?
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    I have had a number of new vehicles in the past few years with after market remote starters from the $99 specials to the $400 high end with alarm and none of them, I repeat none of them have even come close to the quality and relieability of the factory ones. I have no idea how the Toyota remotes work but I'm betting even if just average they will still be better than the aftermarket stuff out there. Spend all that money on a new vehicle so don't go cheap now.
  • Hi,
    I think I have the same problem the actuator noise sounds every time when I start to drive the car after 10 feet, all the people sitting in the car can hear the noise. I went to dealer and they told me "the sound only happened to Camry!" But why other type car does not sound that way? I just wondering why Toyota does not do anything try to fix it. That is really bad impression to Toyota's name!!!
    Who can tell me how they can fix the actuator noise?

Thank you! :blush: