Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• As zaken hinted at.......but didn't come right out and say it........the "rattling" noise you describe IS probably pinging, caused by poor quality/low octane gas.

Put a tank full of the 'good stuff' in her and see if it goes away. (also, as zaken DID say, be damn sure your oil has been changed recently AND is topped up). The Camry should not NEED to run on midgrade....and definitely NOT high test...but maybe you're just buying crap gas and you need to put Sunoco or Shell....or some other NAME BRAND unleaded in it....instead of Jimmy Johnson's cheap-[non-permissible content removed] gas!!
    Good luck;
    Mike
  • My camry has alittle over 66k miles. I have been told a water pump should not need replacing on a such a new car.
    I will try the higher grade gas .. hope that the higher grade gas will work
  • I do believe they said the water pump needed replacing and something to do with the coolant ..this is very helpful information. I also need tires and brakes which are normal wear and tear, but alot to think about all at once. Thanks alot for the advice.
  • I use midgrade 89 octane because I find the car runs much better than using regular 87 octane gas. My Camry has the 268 horsepower V-6 and has a high compression ratio. As a matter of fact I use high test 93 octane once in awhile. It may very well be true that if you own a four cylinder Camry you won't need to go to a higher grade gas than regular. But I'd certainly suggest putting in a good grade gas such as Shell, Sunoco, Mobil. etc. I stay away from cheapo gas stations as I find some have watered down gasoline.
  • These should be easy to find online. You can see if, in fact, your car has a certain defect that the manufacturer knows about but will not fix unless you scream about it and threaten to sue.
  • I haven't had that happen - but occasionally the lights on the shift don't come on and it's frustrating. Also - my husband took care of the cars and now that I'm on my own I'm trying to learn. My 2007 4 cyl Camry made in Japan has a small oil leak. I'm bringing it in tomorrow - but they say by my vin number this vehicle isn't one one that has problems. Also - the car seems to ride rough - but since I know nothing of cars - I'm not sure if this is normal or not. What does it mean for a downshift flare problem? What would the symptoms be? Thank you.
  • I could probably be one of those woman. I have a 2007 4 cyl Camry. A friend of mine whenever he drives my car states it runs rough, etc. I also have noticed the hesitation - but thought I was imagining it or thought it was because it was a 4 cyl. After reading these posts I am beginning to believe my car probably has a few issues. However, I have 95,000 miles on it and I'm sure will be told that is why. However, the hesitation has always been there - just didn't realize it was a problem. I am getting the oil leak checked tomorrow - it will be interesting what they tell me. I'm sure it will be expensive repair bills. I would love to trade the vehicle in for a small SUV - but my ex is still making the payments on it so I'm stuck.
  • TSB - what is this - thank you
  • zaken1zaken1 Posts: 556
    TSB is the achronym for Technical Service Bulletin. These bulletins are issued by car manufacturers to their dealers whenever a problem is identified and a fix for the problem is devised. If an owner brings a car into the dealership for repair of a known problem for which a TSB has been issued, the dealership will apply the remedy listed in the TSB. This is sometimes done for free. There are also databases of TSBs which are searchable by vehicle brand, model, and year. The government's NHTSA has such a database. Edmunds also has one. Some of the more common TSBs for Camrys concern reprogramming the operation of the automatic transmission.

In answer to another question you asked; a downshift flare is an excessive increase in engine speed when the automatic transmission downshifts to a lower gear (this typically happens when you floor the accelerator to pass someone).
  • Small oil leak-have someone try to find out exactly where the leak comes from. If it is from the rubber part of the oil line that snakes around the engine they must fix it. That is what happened to my 2007 v6, only all my oil drained. Don't hesitate to get that fixed. :lemon:
  • There was a recall a while back which I believe had to do with replacing a defective oil line. I knew nothing about the recall until the service manager told me he'd have it done at the same time the my accelerator was being fixed. If I were you I'd bring your car to the dealership asap and inquire about a recall on the oil line.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    That leaking oil line recall is only for the V6. The 4-cylinder does not have this problem.
  • Yes I know. My Camry has the V-6.
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    Hi Barronc:

I find your posting on gasoline very interesting. I own a 2007 V6 XLE Camry with 59,000 + miles. Since it was new, I have used 87 octane / no-name fuel, and I get 30+ mpg on the highway. (I also change the oil and filter every 2,500 miles.) Once a month, I put in some "gas treatment" when I fill up with fuel.

Best regards. --------------- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • That's some excellent gas milage for your 2007 Camry XLE with the V-6 Dwayne. I wish I could say the same for my Camry XLE V-6 which I'm planning on selling in a few months. The car has been very well maintained. I have the oil changed every five to six months and replace the air filter every year. Tires always have the right amount of air in them and they're rotated every six months. Since the day I bought the car brand new from the Toyota dealership my milage has been poor. The dealer says it's because it has 268 horsepower but my friend's 2005 Nissan 350Z has more horsepower, is also an automatic and gets much better milage. My car has only 26,000 miles on the odometer. My next car will be American made.
    Hi Barronc:

Thanks for the "come back" to my posting. On road trips doing 55 to 60mph I have had this vehicle up to 34mpg on 87 octane / no-name fuel. When I am in Pennsylvania, I purchase 87 octane "Sheetz Gasoline!" I have no idea who supplies the fuel to this vendor. I change my oil and filter every 2,500 at the dealer, and my dealer recommends an oil additive BG / MOA. I have used this additive in the oil since the vehicle had it's first oil and filter change. My Camry has a 6 speed automatic transmission. I have had no issues with this vehicle. It was manufactured in Japan!

Best regards. ---------- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • Dwayne, may I inquire what tires you're using on your Camry? I also have an '87 Camry XLE V6 and I used to average 28-29 MPG. I recently replaced my tires (35K miles on the originals) with brand new ones and my MPG plummeted to 24MPG. I have read that tires can make a noticeable difference on fuel economy, but I'm stunned at the disproportion.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    You can look up your tire characteristics on tirerack.com. You may want to have your alignment checked.
    Hi thetxstang:

I am on my second set of "original equipment Michelin Tires." --- I got 50,000 miles out of the first set, and I had the selling dealer intall four new tires and perform a four wheel alignment. ---- I like to keep everything original equipment. By purchasing tires from the dealer, I can get tire service from any Toyota dealer while on the road! This is important to me since I do over the road trips!

Best regards. ----------------- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • Anything that can go wrong with my 2007 Camry XLE V6, HAS. The VTT-I oil hose blew in my car and there is a recall on it.
    Hi lisabaker1989:

I soon as I started to read about this oil line problem, I had my line replaced under the extended 100,000 mile warranty! ------ It took about four hours to replace it with a steel line! ------ I had to be "professionally insistent" to get the dealer to replace this part prior to it failing. ------ Once I told them that I "did not want to experience this oil line failure while on the road," ----- they agreed to replace this oil line!

Best regards. ------------ Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • Yes I know, I brought my 2007 Camry XLE V-6 into the dealership for the accelerator problem and the service manager said there was also a recall on the oil hose. He said they'd replace it along with the accelerator fix that same day. Up to that time I knew nothing about the oil hose recall.
    Good Morning barronc:

At the present time I have two (2) primary vehicles. ---- A 2007 V6 Camry XLE, and a 2010 - 4 Cyl Malibu LTZ. ---- I have all of my service performed at the "selling dealer," (which is the reason why I am VERY CAREFUL about choosing the dealer), when I make a vehicle purchase. ---- I keep "outstanding service records" on both vehicles, and the dealer is aware of this fact. ---- My service intervals for each vehicle is "HALF" of what is recommended by the manufacturer. (Example: ---- My vehicles are serviced every 2,500 miles.) ---- When making a service appointment, I keep my "sales person" involved in the process. He / she has a vested interest in the quality of service that I receive, "IF" they want to sell me another vehicle. ----- If I give them all of my service business, I expect outstanding service, and outstanding customer relations, by both the service department and the sales department. ------- I treat the service personal in both dealers in a very professional manner, and in return, I receive very professional service. ----- (I send "hand written thank you notes" after the service has been completed, ---- I leave a "small cash tip" for the service technician, ---- and I give a "bottle of cheer" to my service writer, service manager and sales person at the "Holiday Season!") ---- If you want to be treated as a professional, be seen as a professional person. (Treat everyone with respect, and show your appreciation when service is provided.) ---- I am proud to say that I have two outstanding dealers, and I would purchase another vehicle from them without question. ----- My Camry has been trouble free in terms of malfunctions. The Malibu is a "HOME RUN" for GM and Chevrolet. Prior to purchasing the Camry, I owned a 2003 4 Cylinder Honda Accord. This Malibu drives exactly like the Honda Accord. It is a quality vehicle.

Best regards. --------------Dwayne
  • I have a 2007 Camry LE 4 cyl about 45000 miles. I took it to the dealer for an oil change and the dealer mentioned that I need a rear brake job badly. Their estimate is $185.

This is my first DIY brake job. I went to auto parts store and pick up Wagner Thermoquiet Rear Pads sets (QC1212 - after rebate is about $40) . With a friend's help, we took the rear tires out 1 at a time, open the brake fluid reservoir, remove the caliper, replace the pad with the Wagner pads. The whole job was done less than 30 minutes. We did not bleed the brake when I compress the caliper pistons back. Not sure if this is a good idea. The pads had an uneven wear, both inner pads (by the caliper piston) are less than 10% left while the outer pads still looks normal. I took it for a test drive and I can't tell the difference. The car still drives smooth. Anyway, I'll check it again at 50K miles.

This is weird that there were uneven wear on the rear brake pads. Just curious if anybody experience the same problem.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    edited September 2010
    That's typical, found that on all my vehicles over the years. Have the same year/mdl Camry, and did the exact same job about a month ago, but also took the oppty to flush the brake system and rotate the tires as well.

The reason the pads wear like that, is that the piston itself is on the inside, and when you apply the brake that inside pad is the first pad that contacts the spinning rotor. As you press harder, the caliper yoke (my term) is pulled over, bringing the outside pad into contact with the rotor as well. So the inside pad always touches first, and has the most pressure on it.
  • Go back to page 518 and read post #5176 re: Toyota's "new improved" brake pads on Technical Bulletin.
  • Thanks kiawah and donewtoyota for the responses. My next challenge to pinpoint the small noise coming from the front of the car. I had new tires put in at 35K and wheel alignment done. This seems to resolve the high speed shaking problems.

I'm not as happy on this 2007 camry as my previous 87 camry. 87 camry is built solid and drives like new for 10 yrs. This 2007 model no longer drives like new. It hard to stay loyal to Toyota on these problems.
    HI knang8888:

You are correct with your assessment about the "feel and ride" of the Camry as it ages! -------- While I do not have any mechanical issues with this vehicle, it does not have the "solid feel of my new 2010 Chevrolet Malibu or my former 2003 Honda Accord." ---------- [It is VERY powerful, especially "off the line!" ------- I would like to race a Ford Mustang coming out of a "toll booth on the Garden State Parkway", just to see how it could perform against some competition.] ------------ {Years ago, I had a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a big V8 under the hood. One Saturday morning I was driving on the GSP coming our of a toll booth, and there was a Ford Mustang in the next booth, so we decided "to go for it!" The Mustang driver was VERY SURPRISED of the power and torque of a big chrysler V8. I stayed right with him till I broke it off at 75mph!} ------- (My jeep only got 15mpg on the highway!)

BACK TO THE CAMRY!

You are correct in your observation that the Camry DOES NOT drive like a luxury vehicle! ------ The doors do not close "solid" like a luxury vehicle. ------ (The doors too seem light.) ----- As the vehicle ages, it starts to feel like a "big floating boat." ----- I have the "top of the line Camry," --- (V6-XLE), ---- but it DOES NOT feel like an "expensive / quality vehicle." ---- (It does not feel like a Cadillac!) ----- The appointments on the interior could be more "luxurious," and the seating could be raised up, (IN TERMS OF QUALITY), to a higher level of quality! ---- (There needs to be more padding in the seat cushion. This condition becomes very noticeable as the vehicle ages. I have designed a foam cushion for the two front seats, and covered these cushions with a gray towel material. This gives me a softer ride, and I am NOT sitting in a hole! ---- I gives me better visibility and and more comfort on long drives.)

QUESTION:
    Do I like the vehicle?

ANSWER:
    I have owned & driven this vehicle for 59,000 + miles, and I have no complaints in terms of mechanical quality. It has never left me at the side of the road. ---- I have an "outstanding dealer," and the service is VERY professional. (Here again, you as the customer, set the stage for how you want to be treated. Act in a professional manner, take control of the service situation, and you will be treated as a professional, not like "one of the herd of cattle seeking service!") ----- If you compare this vehicle, (in terms of comfort), against a Ford Fusion, or the Mercury Milan or the Lincoln, the Ford products, (in terms of seating), are more comfortable, and feel more luxurious!

Best regards to all. ------------ Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • I'm right there with you on the criticism of the Camry seats: THEY SUCK!!!

Has anyone investigated the possibility that a Lexus seat might bolt right in? Surely with the reputation that Lexus has to protect, their seats would be much more comfortable!?!?

Anyone?

Michael
    Hi Michael:

Here is the important question: ----- Why does the leather seat have to be so hard? ----- If you every had the opportunity to sit in vehicles of the 50's, 60's & 70's those leather seats were "soft" and "well padded." ----- When I had the 2003 Honda Accord, I lived in the chiropractic office, ---- because the wings of the bucket front seats would hit my rib cage before my spine touched the back of the seat. ---- Many seats on foreign cars are not made for the American Driver, and this is especially true of vehicles made in Japan. ----- The Lexus seat is more comfortable than the seat in the Camry, but I would bet that they cannot be switched. -----

Best regards. ------------ Dwayne