Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    Good Morning All:

I have just finished doing the Norwalk CT. Boat Show. I traveled from Northern New Jersey to Norwalk CT via Route 4, 17, GSP, NYTW, 287 & 95 for four (4) days. I was caught in "bumper to bumper traffic," and I was able to travel at highway speeds, (55 to 60 mph). This vehicle averaged 30mpg for the four days using off-brand 87 octane fuel with the A/C system "on"! ----- (On some portions of the daily trip, the computer registered 33.5 mpg).

During these daily trips, I paid attention to the shifting characteristics of the transmission. Sometimes when entering the highway I accelerated hard. The vehicle took off like a "jet plane" reaching 80 mph. The shifts were very smooth and positive. Down shifting for passing was also smooth and positive! ------ When I drive in small towns on city streets, I use the manual side of the gear shift. (Yes, I like to ride the gears!)

I am getting near 35,000 miles, so I will be making an appointment at the dealer for an oil and filter change. (Yes, every 2,500 miles.)

PS:
    The boat show was great! ---- We sold some boats. Life is good!

Best regards to all! ------------ Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • Hello,

I’ve about 40K on my Camry and lately I’ve noticed a lot of wind noise. When I talk on my cell phone, people think I have a window open.

I replaced the stock tires with Michelin Destiny, (Discount Tire Company Exclusive), but the noise is still there.

I really like the car a lot but compared with my wife’s 05 Camry, it’s really noisy.

Although, I’ve a 6 year/100K extended platinum warranty, every dealer I spoke with said it’s an “adjustment” and the extended warranty doesn’t cover it

Any help/thoughts are greatly appreciate it

Thank you in advance!
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Only thing I can think of, is to look closely at the rubber door seals around all four doors. Take a piece of paper or thin card stock, and see if it slides easily between the seal when the door is shut (a problem area), or the when the door is shut it grips the paper tightly. You may be able to isolate a problem area.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    If you tire swap again either go to the summer only Bridgestone Turanzas or the newer Bridgestone all-season serenity series. Or spray the fender well liners with cans of undercoat from an autoparts store.
  • Thanks for your responses Kiawah &wwest.

I inserted a piece of paper while the door is shut and the paper slid easily half way then stopped.

I believe front passenger door might have a poor insulation.
    Is it an easy job? Should I have the dealer do it or go to an independent shop?

Thanks for your help
    Great...sounds like you were able to find out the cause of the noise. It may be that somehow the upper window frame is bent slightly. You may be able to bend it back in yourself.
  • stshstsh Posts: 2
    I am new to this forum.How to approach the dealer about TSB?

Thanks
    Make a service appointment, and tell the service advisor what your problem is. If you know the TSB number, let him know that the problem 'might' be solved by a specfic TSB.

Or do the same thing but take a printout of the TSB with you. I just did this a couple of weeks ago, and it makes it real easy for the dealership. They'll put your VIN serial number in their computers, and validate that the TSB applies to your vehicle, and then put it on for you. Software loads take about 1/2 hour.
  • b10609b10609 Posts: 37
    This thread has been very, very helpfull to this guy ! . I've just driven a 2009 Honda Accord and it seems to be a good car. I agree with the concerns voiced by some about it's style. Coming from a 2001 Maxima just now, it also was a style that many weren't too happy with.at the time. But it has run beautifully from day one. I'm ready for a Honda this time for a change and more room..
    I was all set to drive a 2009 Camry this week but hold it !!. I can see there are problems in many areas. My last new Camry was a 1992 (V-6) which drove like a dream - never a problem for 5 years. Some Toyota research later showed that those Canada bound Camry cars were assembled in Japan on the Lexus 300 assembly line at the time. Then assembly switched to the US plant later on. Maybe there's a message here for all of us.,.
    The Consumers Reports are pretty bearish to boot on Camrys these days so Honda seems to win. But I see there are grumbles on the Honda forum about VCM 6 cyl engines which are newer technology as well. Any comments would be appreciated from you shoppers out there. Then I can order new wheels before the snow arrives . - Waterloo Guy
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Buy an Impala or Malibu which have both come a long, long way in quality and are both rated as good and even better in some places and keep your money in America where it is sorely needed.
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Posts: 205
    Don't know why you posted in this particular thread about 09 Camry having problems, because 09 Camry came long way from 07. Early 2007 models had numerous problems, mostly with V6 transmission and V6 - I4 transmission software that took Toyota some time to resolve. I suggest you go to 2009 Camry thread and see for yourself that things turned around and Camry is what it used to be. Unless you're looking to buy 2007 model, there is not much to say about 09 problems. I wanted to buy 08-09 Accord myself (I've owned 6 Gen Accord for worry free 9 years!) but after test driving an Accord I purchased a 09 Camry. Toyota is currently running 0% for 36 month financing that is hard to beat.

BTW Most Accords are made in the US including the one that I owned. Odysseys made in Canada.
    Good Morning b10609:
    When I purchased my 2007 XLE V6 Camry I owned a 2003 Honda 4 cylinder Accord. I had this vehicle for almost 90,000 miles. The front seats were NOT very comfortable! The back of the seat would hit the side of my body, before my spine would touch the back of the seat. I ended up using a pillow to improve this issue. In addition, the bottom of the seat was not very soft, and on long highway trips, I needed a "Chiropractor to get out of the vehilce" at a rest stop!

In 2007, I looked at a new Accord. I took a test ride on both the 4 cylinder and the 6 cylinder models, both with cloth and leather. The seats were a little better than the 2003 Accord, but not as comfortable as the 2007 XLE V6 Camry or the Chevrolet Impala.

I would have purchased a 2007 Impala, but I could not find a stock vehicle in New Jersey with the LT2 trim level. (I will not order a vehicle from the factory! TOO many problems with this process!!!!!!) So, I purchased a 2007 V6 Camry. I now have almost 36,000 miles on this vehicle, and I do not have any problems with this vehicle. It is VERY comfortable and VERY powerful. I average 30mpg on the highway using off-brand 87 octane fuel. The vehicle is 20 months old and it is serviced by the selling dealer. My next vehicle will be either a Camry or a Chevrolet product. (I will look at the Honda again to see it they have improved their seats.)

My suggestion would be to drive the Accord, and play attention to the quality and the comfort of the seats. I might go back to the Honda Accord if the seats were as comfortable as the Camry / Impala. I purchased the V6 Camry because the 4 cylinder Camry did not have the power of the 4 cylinder Accord!

Best regards. ------------ Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Posts: 205
    Just my 02 cents on Accord seats. My wife was a primary driver for a 99 Accord and for the last few years she complained on back pain in the mornings. I could never figure out that problem was in Accord seats. Now my wife drives 09 LE that comes with adjustable lumbar support and morning back pain went away.

Also current generation Camry I4 is quicker (0-60) and has shorter stopping distance that current generation I4 Accord (older gen Accord was quicker!).
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    ...I'd take the Malibu in a heartbeat (no pun intended) over the Impala. The Malibu is a fresh design on the long-wheelbase Epsilon platform (which also underlies the Pontiac G6 and Saturn Aura), whereas the Impala has its roots in the GM-10 (W-cars) introduced 20 years ago. From what I have read, rear seat room is rather cramped in the Impala for a car of its external size.

Still, I've been extremely pleased with my prior generation (2004 and 2005) Camry 4-cylinders, and I wouldn't hesitate (again no pun intended) to buy a 2009 4-cylinder model. The Accord sounds like a fine alternative as well, although again I'd get a 4-cylinder.
    Good Morning 210delray:

I like the Chevrolet products. Now having said that, there is also a financial issue associated with the Chevrolet vehicles!

As you know from the above posting, I own a 2007 V6 XLE Camry. I have a 6 year "top-of-the-line" Toyota 100,000 mile Extended Warranty on this vehicle, because I am on the road a large part of my working day. I put at least 22,000 miles on my vehicles each year, SO, with this fact in mind in four years I will have 88,000 miles. The vehicle will be paid-off in three (3) years, and at that point I will start looking for a replacement vehicle. ------ (The reason for this action is because the Camry might have a better trade in at 66,000 miles than one year later at 88,000 miles. In addition, if I wait the additional year, I will have put new tires and brakes on the vehicle, so then I need to run it to 100,000 miles to get my money back. At that point the vehicle is worth nothing on a trade! The mileage is TOO high!)

Now lets put the Chevrolet vehicle into the mix. If I had purchased a 2007 Chevrolet Impala would the trade in value of the Impala be the same as the Camry after three (3) years? My guess is that I would take a major financial hit on an Impala of the same price as the Camry. YES, the Impala is a very good vehicle, and it is very comfortable, ---- but does it hold its value like the Camry? -------- (Remember your trade-in value is part of your down payment on the new vehicle!)--------- In addition, finding a Chevrolet Dealer in my area that has a "good reputation" could be an issue! They tend to be a "highway type / high pressure" operation! The only dealers that are one step lower than the Chevrolet dealers in my area are the Chrysler dealers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From a mechanical point of view, I think both the Chevrolet and the Toyota are about the same. As you know from reading this board, some people are having issues with their V6 Camry. I do not have any of these problems. Chevrolet has A/C, alternator and brake rotor issues. The bottom line is that when you purchase a vehicle, after all is said and done, it is the "luck of the draw"! ----- Your overall experience with the vehicle is only as good as the servicing dealership. I was lucky with the Honda, and now with the Toyota. Both dealers are great in terms of sevice.

Best reagrds: ------------ Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • jlong5jlong5 Posts: 5
    Greetings! I currently have 29K miles on my 07 Camry. All four Bridgestone Turanza EL 400 tires are bald. P215 / 60R 16. Looking for a comparable tire.

My local dealer suggests Yokohama (SP?) but for 4 tires and balancing, we're talking $700 or more.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
    check out tirerack.com.

Same vehicle, more miles, replaced my Michelin Energy something or other (MVC4's??), with another Michelin. (Pilot Exalto AS) Local tire shop NTB, matched the tirerack prices. I was out the door for 550 (including spin mounting and 7% state tax, and a bunch of other miscellaneous state tire disposal and environmental taxes). However, also received a Michelin 60 rebate check already, and have a 50 NTB rebate coming. So when all is said and done, it'll cost less than 450.

Nice tire, we're pleased.
  • dwb2dwb2 Posts: 24
    The bridgestone tires are crap and have no longevity. Go with either michelins or yokohama. Both very good tires and good warranties.
    Good Morning All:
    When I saw my Camry for the first time during the "test drive" it had Bridgestone tires! ---- I made it VERY CLEAR to the salesperson that I would NOT purchase the vehicle with Bridgestone tires. He agreed to change the tires to Michelin. ------------ I now have 36,000 miles on the vehicle, and the tires are still in good condition. (The tires are rotated every 5,000 miles!)

I would NEVER own a vehicle with either Bridgestone or Firestone tires. I feel that these products are an "accident" looking for a place to happen!

Go with Michelin tires, and get a four wheel alignment with the new tires!

Best regards! --------------- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    "...these products are an "accident" looking for a place to happen..."

....as would be any tire that is dangerously under-inflated in order to reduce the propensity for rollover of an otherwise top heavy SUV, say such as a Ford Explorer.