Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• dwb2dwb2 Posts: 24
    I understand your frustration, and I would be the last guy to defend Toyota. My question is this. Have you ever had the transmission serviced? and more importantly, how long should a manufacturer be liable for a vehicles dependability before the consumer is expected to assume responsability?
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346
    "how long should a manufacturer be liable for a vehicles dependability before the consumer is expected to assume responsibility?"

Assuming the tranny has been serviced according to schedule, or sooner even, then IMO, a LOT longer than 80k. 80 k is only 4 or 5 years of use. Now if we were talking 180k well that is a different story, altho I would still not be too thrilled to have to do a tranny even then.

Some newer auto trannys have a (stated) (Subaru) life expectancy of 180k so why should a Camry auto not at least match the competition? I think it is fairly obvious by now that the 6 speed used in 07 and newer Camry's have issues that, IMO, Toyota should take responsibility for.
  • chuck28chuck28 Posts: 257
    Sorry to hear about your trans. I have had numerous issues with mine.
    I was wondering did you have problems before the trans went out?
    Also what size is your engine?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    In modern day engines knock/ping is corrected for via SFI A/F mixture.

Other than knock due to engine lugging if the knock sensor detects knock/ping PRIOR to spark ignition it simply enriches the mixture to compensate regardless of fuel grade.
    There is NO modern day automatic transmission that requires, or even suggests, any scheduled service or maintenance for the life of the vehicle, says so right in the owners manual.

Most modern day automatics come from the factory SEALED in order to help prevent dealer or customer "servicing" that more often than otherwise leads to damage.
  • dwb2dwb2 Posts: 24
    Nissan seals all of their CVT transmissions for just that reason. Toyota does not and the trans. pans all have drain plugs in them. My tranny is the 5 spd auto and it has worked flawlessly since the update was performed on it in early 2007. I am sorry to hear of the trans problems of the other person.
  • zaken1zaken1 Posts: 556
    edited January 2011
    Since a rich mixture burns faster than a lean mixture; your theory that pinging is compensated for by enriching the mixture does not make sense. Enriching the mixture will make pinging WORSE. There are many other factors which create pinging; such as excessive coolant temperature, incorrect spark plug selection, and excessively low fuel octane; that lead to conditions which are severe enough that they cannot be compensated for by any degree of mixture adjustment. The only way richening the mixture could reduce pinging would be if it was richened way beyond the point of efficient combustion, in order to reduce the peak combustion temperature; but that would increase CO and HC emissions to unacceptable levels. That is why knock sensors function by retarding the ignition timing.
    Hi Zaken, I really apreciate your wisdom. As far as my Torque converter problems ( severe slow down when coasting) I am wondering what is your opinion on the post by WWest when he says this is engine braking and normal. Though I respect what he has to say it seems he is always on the defense for Toyota?
    Would you say the Torque converter is defective and could you give me any advice how to deal with the dealership to get them to verify the problem. The dealership has kept telling me the car is operating normal which I strongly diagree.
    Thanks again for your advice, chuck
  • My car is a 4 cylinder and there wasn't any noticeable issue before the transmission went out. Coincidently, the trans problem started right after I brought it into the dealer for tire replacements & allignment (??). The mechanic (not from Toyota) says he has seen a few of these newer model Camry's (07+) with the same problem, and it's due to the newer model trans used in these cars.

Toyota has always pride itself on quality. Assumably, a Toyota trans should last over 5 years & 100K miles, at least. Apparently this problem is not isolated to only myself. My question is why would Toyota sell a faulty product? Unfortunately, I put in too many miles on the car in the first few yrs due to job distance, otherwise I would still be covered within the 5 yrs warranty.
  • notmybmwnotmybmw Posts: 101
    I agree wholeheartedly about Toyota wanting to maintain their "relatively" spotless quality reputation and in a case like this, I'd go after the regional office, if not national, and appeal it on a "special case" basis.

Forget about going through the dealer; most of them are money hungry b**tards.

Mike
  • msanchez,

Did that fix the problem?
    Compression ignition, A/F mixture detonation, pre-ignition, due to the heat of compression, can often be overcome via enriching the mixture slightly thereby COOLING the cylinder "fill" prior to the piston upstroke.

But. If the A/F mixture is "igniting" BEFORE the ignition spark how/why would RETARDING, delaying the ignition, be of any help.

Methinks you are referring to knock/ping due to a too early ignition spark which can be the case but these days rarely is.
    This morning I warmed up my car ( 2007 Camry V-6) outside in the driveway after the big snow storm in Chicago. When I moved it forward up the driveway to clear off the rest of the driveway I noticed a line of colored spots in the snow from where I was parked. The spots were from the back of the car to the front which appears to be lined up with the exhaust. The spots were light green in color. Could condensation from the exhaust cause this color? Or do I have other leaks?
    I believe Toyota uses a pink antifreeze?
    Thanks for any help, chuck
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ahhhhhh, just for those interested, I figured out what was wrong with my Outlander (nothing). As my dealership supposedly found and fixed that my transfercase was leaking, which I had doubts about it as transmission fluid is NOT neon green/yellow color. When the snow melted there were no drips found under my Outlander, then another big snow storm hit and the little yellow/green neon drips continued. So I went under the car and I didn't notice any leakage, then I googled it and apparently in my area they started using new salt mixed with sugar solutions to melt away the snow :s Apparently when the heat from the exaust (which is located in the middle) that has little snow residue (mixed with salt/sugar) left over gets on clean snow it will leave little neon/green spots (dripping water mixed with salt/sugar).And this would make sense because as I mentioned earlier, when there is no snow on the ground, I don't see any leakage on the pavement and all the fluid levels seem to be normal. This thing has been driving me nuts for the past few weeks but seems I finally figured it out.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346
    Good. Thanks for sharing that info.
  • Ok well I went and got this checked out by a 4th mechanic (second that is a toyota dealership) They are saying that the reason my abs, brake light and check engine light are coming on is because one of my tires is taller then the others. Does this seem to make sense? Originally they were all the same exact size, but now they are saying one is an inch smaller?
  • zaken1zaken1 Posts: 556
    edited February 2011
    There is an additional cause of pinging besides incorrect timing or self ignition, which you may not be aware of. It happens when an engine is properly timed for most efficient combustion; but the owner chooses to use a fuel with lower octane than the engine requires for best performance and economy. Igniting low octane fuel with a stock timed spark produces a faster spreading flame front during combustion than does higher octane fuel. Because this flame front moves more rapidly than it was intended to; the pressure wave strikes the piston BERFORE it reaches the top of the compression stroke. And that causes pinging. This is the most common cause of pinging in modern, high efficiency engines. Since the vehicle's mixture trimming controls can legally add only minor amounts of mixture enrichment (less than 10%); if this was done, it would make the pinging WORSE, because a rich mixture burns FASTER than a lean mixture. This would make the flame front strike the piston even earlier!! The only instances where enriching the mixture will cool the cylinder down is when massive amounts of extra fuel are added (20% or more). This is a drastic type of change, which is not usable in passenger cars, because it causes the carbon monoxide emissions to increase beyond legal limits. However; this technique is used in race cars and top fuel dragsters; where emissions are not an issue. This is why spark retard, and not mixture enrichment, is the standard method of pinging control used in modern production cars.

It is also not well understood by most people that compression ignition, self ignition and detonation do not normally take place in a motor on which the mixture strength and ignition timing is properly adjusted. Self ignition is typically caused by prolonged running with either excessively lean air/fuel mixtures, or excessively advanced ignition timing. That's when the spark plug electrodes or carbon deposits heat to the point where they glow; which can ignite fuel without a spark. But since modern engines are equipped with automatic mixture strength regulation and automatic ignition timing optimization; the conditions which create detonation cannot and do not normally occur. Variations in fuel octane are compensated for with the detonation sensor controlling the amount of spark advance. Variations in mixture strength are compensated for with the fuel injection feedback loop control; which is driven by the signal from the exhaust oxygen sensor. These two systems keep the mixture strength and timing set optimally under the full range of possible operating conditions. That is why detonation is no longer an issue in modern engines; and variations in fuel octane can now be easily tolerated. So pinging after the spark takes place is the only abnormal combustion factor which still requires compensation. And that is now regulated nicely by the knock sensor controlling the amount of spark advance.
    Every thing you say is PERFECTLY true.

Just as long as the engine is under a fairly light load, simply cruising along at a relatively constant speed wherein the "standard 14.7:1 mixture ratio is used. Obviously engine knock/ping under those conditions, LOW cylinder "fill", would be somewhat unusual.

But open the throttle just a bit for acceleration and since the A/F mixture must be enriched to as high as 12:1 the engine control system switches from the use of the upstream oxygen sensor to the MAF/IAT sensors for controlling the mixture.

It is in this "mode", high engine load/loading, that knock/ping is most likely to occur and the A/F mixture can be more freely modified to satisfy varying engine operating parameters.

Whereas there can be NO A/F mixture variation under control of the upstream oxygen other than what is REQUIRED to keep the exhaust oxygen content to ZERO.
  • notmybmwnotmybmw Posts: 101
    I hope you're right, buddy, cause I have exactly the same green spots under my 2007 4cyl Camry.
    What a coincidence if Niagara Region (Ontario, Canada) is using the same salt on their roads as your region.
    By the way, what part of the continent ARE you from?

Cheers.....on this sunny day!

Scotty
    I'm in Chicago, Il I have a v-6 2007 Camry. The post of the salt and green spots was from another blog I copied. It makes a lot osf sense. I also found my neighbors were having the same green spots.
    I hope nobody gets ripped off when taking it in for service thinking they got a leak.

Take care, chuck