Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• chuck28chuck28 Posts: 257
    Hi, Can anyone tell me how much distance is normal between the rear tire and the struts. The round plate or spring that is over the tire has only a half inch between the tire and plate. The fronts have more space. Are my struts worn out?

I have 48,000 miles on 2007 v-6 SE Camry
    Thanks for any help, chuck
  • jomarexjomarex Posts: 4
    I took it to the mechanic before it got hot enough to need the A/C. He says it has a full charge of refrigerant, and it never quit blowing really cold the whole time he burned up a lot of gas, idling it to see if it would quit.

Last year, it would blow hot intermittently; now, it only blows cold for a minute or two after I start the cold engine, and blows hot the rest of the day while I keep driving around. It appears that if I let the engine cool down enough, then it will blow cold for a minute, then hot. It's only been hot outside the last couple of days, though.

I have fixed a lot of things on cars, but know nothing at all about A/C...

any ideas for me?
    thanks
  • jomarexjomarex Posts: 4
    well, I guess I posted under a different topic. I can't make any sense of this forum, can't figure out how to make a post...
  • DJM:

First, I appreciate your (detailed) response to my initial question to the Forum regarding Toyota's use of BG Service. It appears though, that the earlier (on-going) discussions on oil additives have somewhat distorted my original question. I will now endeavor to clarify that request for the Forum:

The BG Service I am referring to is NOT an oil additive; the BG servicing kit, and product, consists mostly of two (2) canisters. The BG SERVICE is administered by a trained technician and is applied to 1.) The automatic transmission, 2.) The Cooling System, 3.) The Hydraulic Brake System, 4.) The Power Steering System; the product is introduced into a pumping and evacuation machine and, under careful supervision, evacuates the existing fluid while introducing, under pressure, the new BG fluid along with the appropriate conditioners, anti-corrosive components, and the like, depending on the system being serviced. A Sight-Gauge and Pressure Indicator in PSI is monitored by the technician during this operation.

I've already had both the cooling system and trans serviced on my Mazda
    Tribute using the BG System and product. I am now questioning the Forum to determine if other members have encountered any Toyota Dealerships stating that they (the Dealership) no longer offer this (BG) SERVICE.

Hopefully, this new discussion has served to clarify my original question. Again, I look forward to any further input from the Forum.
  • zaken1zaken1 Posts: 556
    Hey; it's OK. You didn't post under a different topic; you posted in this thread. The confusing thing about this forum is that it often places new posts on the page that comes after the one that was visible when you originally posted the message; so if you go back to the page where you started; it may look like your post is not there. If you are trying to find a post that you made within the last week; the easiest thing to do is to start at the last page in the forum you're using; and search all the posts on that page. If the post is not on that page; try looking through the page before that one. The list of all the page numbers in a given forum will appear at the top of each page.

You can start a new message by clicking the "post new message" button at the top of the page; or you can reply to an existing message by clicking the "reply" button on the top right of that message. And you can navigate back from a reply to the original message by clicking the link on the line that begins with "replying to" which is located just below the date and time of the original message.
  • poonerpooner Posts: 5
    edited April 2011
    I just noticed the a/c on my 2007 V6 LE won't cool. The light on the dash comes on but there is no sign of compressor activity.The relay seems to work when tested on the bench but there doesn't seem to be power heading to the relay from the controls. Also, when I bypass the relay, the compressor clicks but doesn't sound like it is starting. I'm thinking possible freon leak or possibly seized compressor. All of which sounds pricey for a 4 yr old car from Toyota. Anybody have experience with this? Thanks.
  • ctlctl Posts: 123
    This can happen when the cabin air filter gets too dirty...
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    I can't pull out the service manuals since I'm travelling , but I would suspect low freon pressure.

Many A/C systems have a freon pressure switch as part of the system, and if you don't have enough pressure then the compressor is prevented from turning on. Theory being, the freon has oil in it, and if there isn't enough freon....then there is not enough oil for the compressor, and this prevents compressor damage.
  • luckysevenluckyseven Posts: 134
    Low freon pressure means a leak. Unfortunately leaky AC is something that most DIYers including myself can't handle properly. Check for AC electrical and control problem and go to see a mechanic. Even small piece of flying road debris can make pretty impressive damage to evaporator and your pocket.
  • Ok so now it's about a month later and guess what...another coil error. It is a 6 cylinder and this is replacement number 3. Something must be causing this to happen...I just can't believe that they are all going bad one at a time within a month of one another. Someone must have some insight. Please give me some suggestions...I don't want to get another car but I can't afford to keep taking it in for the same problem. Could there be a short somewhere? I don't know what to do next. Is it worth paying extra to have the last three replaced while the have the manifold off to replace this one? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Can you have sombody reset the codes. Sometimes Auto zone can be talked in to it. I was wondering do you have a remote start. I'm wondering if you try to start the car by mistake while the car is running it might cause a electrical surge to the coils.
    When my coil went bad it was right after I made that starting mistake though I was told by many that should not have been the problem.
    I hope others can this sight can help.
    I also think Toyota is using less than quality parts these days.
    Good luck
    Who is diagnosing this problem, and what error codes are you getting? It would be very unusual to have all these coils going out.

I've found that random misfire across multiple cylinders, could be fuel delivery or one of the many sensors (like crank). A solid error code on only one cylinder, would suspect either the coil or plug in that cylinder.
  • No I don't have a remote start so that isn't it. I am at a loss...any other suggestions? Anyone?
  • Thanks for the input we will see what the outcome is in a few days...as back to the dealership I go. I like having suggestions to give them when I go in so they can have something to go on and try to fix the real cause of this problem instead of just replacing parts one by one.
    Any new info on the ignition coils
    Has anyone has a problem with engine squeaking while car is idling. My 2007 Camry v-6 has a squeak coming from the belt pully area which is also near the water pump and alternator.How can I tell where it is coming from. I hope it;s not anything more than a dried up belt but it sounds more like a pully.
    Thanks for any help.
    With the engine off, take the accessory belt off.

Start the engine temporarily and confirm that the squeak stopped (ie, it's not a bearing inside the engine). Turn engine back off.

Now turn each pulley slowly by hand, and try to wiggle it as well. You can feel for smooth bearing movement, and no wobble side to side. I've done this on all of my vehicles over the years, and I can always easily feel the device who's bearing has gone bad. Many times it's the belt tensioner pulley, but I've had an alternator on one vehicle, and a A/C compressor on another vehicle.

When you find the bad accessory, replace it. Put the belt back on, and you're good to go.

You can search the internet and find video's as to how to take accessory belts on and off. It's usually by putting a wrench or large screwdriver on the belt tensioner, slowly take the tension off the belt, take the belt off one of the pulleys, then slowly release the pressure on the tensioner. Reverse the process to put belt back on. All vehicles have a belt routing graphic somewhere under the hood.
  • litlladylitllady Posts: 1
    I would like to note after searching online for the same issue I ended up here at this forum.

We have a Toyota Camry 2007 le with about 40,000 miles on it and replaced our first coil about a week ago. Already, another coil is going bad. We are too upset about this and are looking for answers. Literally, a mechanic at the Toyota place told us that the coils are a defective design, in HIS OPINION. He said he is replacing them all the time. I guess a letter to Toyota is the next step? I dont know alot about cars but Im missing the ol 'change a spark plug' fix.

Will be watching this thread.
  • zaken1zaken1 Posts: 556
    It might be helpful to know that there are two separate warranties on this car. The regular manufacturer's 3 year, 36 000 mile warranty has obviously expired by now; but there is also a Federally mandated warranty on parts that affect emissions. The ignition coils affect emissions; so they should be covered under the Federal emission compliance warranty. This warranty is good for at least 50,000 miles (depending on the parts covered). If the dealership is not sure or is uncooperative about whether the federal emission warranty covers the coils; You'll need to check with the regional Toyota Customer Service office about this matter. This information can probably also be found on the Toyota website.

In addition; it is common for a reputable manufacturer to extend the length of their warranty coverage on parts which have become known to fail prematurely. There certainly have been enough ignition coil failures on Camry V-6 motors to justify such a move. But it might require some persuasion by a competent attorney before they decide to act responsibly. All Toyota would have to do in order to determine whether there is an abnormal failure rate on those coils is to pull up the figures on how many of those coils have been sold by dealerships. They already have those figures. The question is only whether they will be willing to look into it.
  • Hello everyone,

How can you determine if you're having ignition coil issues? I purchsed my 07 Camry se v6 back in December and sometimes when I'm driving and I come off the gas the engine seems to just die down as if I slammed on the breaks. Anyone know what that could be? Also I noticed when I purchased the car that the oil level was double what it was supposed to be and they told me that was normal. I know enough about cars to know that too much oil in the motor is just as be as not enough. I recentyl got my first oil change after purchasing the car Sunday and this time they filled it up even higher than before. I didn't notice it until Monday and since work 6 days a week I wont be able to make it back there until Sunday. What do u guys think?