Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    The best thing to do is go to your personal CarSpace page (link on the upper left) and post it there. The instructions will help you.
  • damon34damon34 Posts: 124
    check them out if u would like photos the in keywords put in damon34> Tell me what you think about it. I think it looks good but hesitation and shifting problems all the time. and yes it did it before i put the 20s on it.
  • dougb10dougb10 Burlington, Ontario, CanadaPosts: 185
    Those are beautiful wheels. Too bad about all the problems you (and some others) are having with the transmission issues.
    Guess I will hang on to my '03 Camry XLE ..."if it ain't broke....."

Doug
  • I have a 2007 Camry LE with the 4 cylinder engine that has 6,000 miles on it now. The car hesitates on take off from a standing start and also when slowing down then speeding back up especially when turning corners. Also the gas mileage is not what I expected. I average 21 to 23 combined but am only getting 24 on the highway with the cruise control engaged. The dealer is blaming my driving, but I had a 98 Stratus, 2.4L engine, with 210,000 miles that I got 27 on the highway with no cruise control. I was expecting the Camry to get at least that much. Anyone else seeing the same things?
  • flyingjflyingj Posts: 7
    What's the good news? We could all use some.
    I am getting 19 in the city. Guess we all drive alike.
    did u ever get better than that? I use to get 28 to 30 and it droped down to 24 for about the last 4 fill ups
    I got 24 on the highway and 19 in the city. I've only had a couple of fillups. I hate the way this car hesitates. Unsafe!
    I was wondering if you can get a manual with a model se in a 6 cyl?
  • njeraldnjerald Posts: 688
    No, 4 cyl. only.
    Does anybody in here own a SE 6cyl. I was just wondering how you like it. and the gas mileage you get with it
  • Never have gotten better. Was hoping it would get better as everything got broken in, but apparently I was wrong. Now I just have a fairly expensive car that gets what I consider bad gas mileage, and gas is getting more expensive to boot.
    what is your gas mileage?
  • Have a loaded SE V6 (NAV & everything else) and it's flawless. We've had it for two months (1600 miles). The only time we checked the mileage so far was on the second tank. About 20% rush-hour stop & go and it was 27 mpg. We may take it out of town this weekend and I'll be able to check the highway mileage. It's a great car and the stereo is kick-butt!
  • This is good news. It appears that I lost second gear today in my 07 XLE and it goes into Toyota service tomorrow. Have had bad luck with this car/dealership/service. First trip to dealership was to have a sticky console compartment fixed and they scratched my Nav screen. Still working to resolve that matter. Also, I appear to have that anti-lock brake ticking which apparently isn't an issue, but just doesn't sound good. Taking the car to a different dealership for this transmission issue...maybe better service? You're right about the shock of having a major repair within 2 months of buying a new car. It's very disappointing. The car is beautiful, comfortable and fun to drive. I hope I share your experience and that they fix it promptly and properly. Thank you for the update. :sick:
  • gbabalukgbabaluk Posts: 70
    I have an SE V6 with about 3000KM on it and the last tank, mostly highway with cruise on, we got about 36/37 miles to the gallon. Around the city, we are getting about 25/26 miles to the gallon. Great car and it gets better gas mileage than the 2003 Corolla that we traded in!
    Have a great day;
  • i had bought my le 4cyl back in march and i haven noticed the cruise control shifting problems going up hills. what did you do and what happened?
  • The last tanks I have gotten 21.6, 22.6, 23.3, 23.1, 20.7, and 23.6 mpg. In all cases three fourths of the miles were highway. I have my wifes 99 Rav4 with 140,000, and am getting consistently 25 in town. Now I realize it has the 2.0 liter engine and is lighter but it is getting better city mileage than the Camry gets on the highway. Like I said I am not happy about this, any idea's?
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    If you could ..
    A. how long are your trips? Minutes or miles?

B. at what speeds normally does the highway traffic move?

C. how many are normally in the vehicle while you are diriving?

D. weather?

Based on your preliminary date from above your conbined FE from the EPA testing criteria should be about 30.5 mpg.

But...
    a. if your normal drive is 15 min or less deduct 15%
    b. if the highway speeds are over 70 mph deduct 15%
    c. if the vehicle normally has 3+ passengers in it deduct 10%
    d. if the weather is very rainy/slick deduct 10%
    e. if the AC is on full blast most of the time deduct 5%

If all of these are in effect at the same time your personal FE could be as low as 16 mpg. That's why the statement YMMV ( Your Mileage May Vary ). If only two of them are characteristic of your driving at any one time then you should be in the 22-24 mpg range.
  • I have an 02 and have been reading thru these posts. So, obviously there appears to be an issue. What is Toyota's position at this point?
  • I also have a silver 2007 Camry XLE with flaking paint on the front bumper. When I took it to Stone Mountain Toyota in Georgia I told them it was a warranty, paint problem. They agreed, and I've made arrangements to have the problem fixed. One thing I wouldn't do is tell them the dings are from rocks. In my case, and I imagine yours also, there was no indication that the body had been hit by rocks. The possibility of future problems worries me. At least the problem has been documented.
  • I don't know if any 07 camry owners have this feeling, but I feel it takes me more strength pressing the pedal in order to stop my car than in my 99 camry.
    BTW, I own a LE V6, I have driven it for a month and put on 2200miles on it. Very satisfied.
    Minor cons: the center console light at night is too bright; braking as mentioned above.
    MPG, in city i am getting 22 which is normal. On highway, I think it reached over 30. No excitement, just EPA numbers.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I've been watching this thread for awhile, and it seems that almost all of the issues with the new Camry center around the transmissions (except the 5M and CVT). My hope is that the 6A Snap Ring issue has been addressed at the manufacturing level. And although I didn't observe any major hesitation issues with the '07 SE rental from Avis that I recently had, I will say it did not feel as responsive as the units in some competitors (like the Accord). But- it seems Toyota is taking steps in the right direction- not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but there IS a TSB on Toyota's technical information site (subsciber only)...for the "Shift Flare", which seems to be the non-Snap Ring issue some 6A owners have experienced...

Camry TSB 6A Flare

~alpha
  • tmsusatmsusa Posts: 81
    Thanks for your comments Alpha. . . and your two cents worth via that post are right on. Actually, tmsusa should also say thanks to the many participants in this forum for their ongoing feedback re our 2007 Camry. While some of the dialog and critical comments from our own customers was not the most enjoyable to take in, specific real world communication of actual driving experiences--some even with helpful video--allowed us to isolate a particular RPM flare-on-shift characteristic on the V6 Camrys, unrelated to the well documented snap ring issue.

And so we have issued a new Technical Services Bulletin, kindly posted earlier by alpha01, that calls out the service procedures (valve body replacement) our dealers are to follow to address specific performance issues . . . i.e. unusually high 3rd-4th gear shift flare as described by customers who are confirmed to have had this issue with their Camrys. The procedure has been shown to eliminate or bring to within normal operation the increased engine speed occurring during that shift point.

What should owners do if they suspect they might be experiencing this condition in their Camrys? Contact any Toyota dealer and arrange for a service visit where the condition can be confirmed and steps taken to complete the TSB work--at no charge. Or call the Customer Experience Center at 800-331-4331 for additional information.

This issue appears to be impacting only a very limited number of V6 Camrys, but we are confident the service procedures prescribed within the TSB will contribute to a much more satisfying ownership experience for those customers who have had this condition with their Toyota. Toyota has long been known for reliable & dependable vehicles, and we remain as committed as ever to this mission.

Thanks again to all who have contributed to the discussions . . .tmsusa looks forward to continued engagement with 2007 Camry enthusiasts on Edmunds.
  • I'd be interested in knowing if this TSB fixes the issue for folks. I was horrified when I saw a Camry Woes forum with 600+ posts so soon. For now I am holding onto my 02---rattles and all.
    We will be following this closely also. Keep in mind that this specific condition is quite limited-but the service procedures outlined for those reporting this unusual shift flare have been effective in early cases. Participants in this forum have been quite active in reporting all experiences with their Camrys, so I'm confident we'll get reports back from those that actually have this procedure undertaken.

Thanks for being a part of the Toyota family!
  • Alpha01, thanks for your posting - and I'm sure many people with this issue will be glad to see a possible resolution.

I, as well as many other owners, would like to know how we can view all of the TSB's related to the Camry. As far as I am concerned, there is no reason that they shouldn't be freely accessable. If you would, please give details as to how you are able to get these.

Also, it is quite interesting that there wasn't a word about this particular TSB from any Toyota representative until "AFTER" your note was posted.

Thanks again - and if you happen to hear of anything related to the hesitation issue with the 4-cyl 5AT vehicles, please keep us informed.
    Rollon, I won't speak for Alpha, but I got the impression from his post that he may have accessed those documents through Toyota's public online Technical Information Service database (TIS).

The site is utilized primarily by our field & dealer technical personnel, but Toyota makes it available for a nominal subscription fee to any who are interested in more in-depth technical information about our products and service procedures.

Re your comment about the after-the-fact acknowledgement of this TSB, I would have to say I understand your sentiment. Actually, we issue TSBs routinely for many highly technical and not-so-technical matters involving all of our Toyota, Scion and Lexus products. We also report them to regulatory agencies. Perhaps, I will excerpt a post that tmsusa placed earlier on another enthusiast forum dedicated to Lexus to further expand my position on this . . .

Originally Posted by tmsusa
    Those are good points. Please keep in mind that this effort to be a little more proactive in our nontraditional means of communicating to consumers is new--Never before have we gone to online forums or blogs or other 24/7 internet-based channels to get accurate information out to the public in such a transparent manner.

Yes--It seems to tmsusa that it would be right and proper to disclose such things as Technical Service Information Bulletins; however, some areas within the organization remain sensitive to publicizing technical materials. This material should be readily available via our own corporate websites, IMO. And while it is copyrighted, the documents are available to the public by accessing our Technical Information Service website.

There definitely is value to us and our customers in participating and monitoring discussions on forums like this. You should be aware that tmsusa has been engaged in several other online enthusiast forums, such as Edmunds, FJCruiserCruiserForums, PriusChat and ToyotaNation, has posted relevant information such as Special Service Campaigns--and will be happy to be involved to the extent possible within this forum.

This is not spin control, either. We could hire a PR firm for that if needed. And while it is inappropriate and impractical to address individual issues within this space, I'll do my best to identify you and get the folks in our Lexus CAC to get back in touch with you.

Thanks much for your input.
  • I, and I'm sure many other technically inclined owners, would like to see, as part of the ownership experience, zero-cost, on-line access to TSB's at least during the warranty period.

The present cost structure for the Technical Information Service database is ridiculously high and makes it prohibitive for the average owner who would like to check for any issues that might pertain to their vehicles.

Please pass this on to corporate.
  • Although I don't classify myself as "technically inclined" I agree whole-heartedly: make these TSBs easily available to us at no charge.