Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• rollon1300rollon1300 Member Posts: 63
    would imagine the V6 a completely different car. As an owner of an 05 Avalon, contend that the Toyota 2GR is perhaps the best V6 currently available. I get 27 mpg overall and, of course, the power is nothing short of phenomenal (for a Toyota). Interested to know if and how much your FE is suffering given the driving you actually do?

There are a number of differences, but I'll post my comments over in the new "2007 Camry - No Problems Here!" to leave this forum for those who might have trouble. See you over there.... :)
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    Two things.

1) I have a 2002 Camry w/48K miles. I just had my front brakes replaced for the first time. Dealer said rototrs needed replaced. My tire guy said they were fine. I'd get a second opinion.

2) I have not had my rear disk braked replaced yet.

How many miles on on your car?

*Although I have had great luck on the brakes...it does eat thru tires every 20K...or at least by 22K or so they are so horrible in the rain and snow I replace them.
  • vonnyvoncevonnyvonce Member Posts: 129
    Changed the oil in my V-6. Went well until I noticed the oil pressure light on a few days later. Long story short after some investigation noted the small o-ring from the STP filter I bought was to big and did not seat properly. Checked a second STP filter and the same problem. I'm assuming Toyota factory filter will not have this problem. Do it yourselfers beware of STP.
  • silverstarsilverstar Member Posts: 56
    Well, I bought one on Friday October 20, 2006.
    XLE v6 - loaded. $29.4k+220(TTL)
    Made in KY – Mfr date: Oct 6 2006

Positive impressions: very quiet, powerful engine, gorgeous Optitron dash, modern exterior design, ‘Smart’ key, Nav unit, roomy and already getting 31+ hwy but 18 cty.

However, I’m experiencing quite a bit of post-purchase cognitive dissonance.

First a note to prospective buyers: The Camry heated seats option a) heats bottoms only, not seat-backs, Also if you are considering the Nav option, check for center console light intensity around the Nav unit at night. I wish I had. And finally, transmission issues have NOT been resolved for everyone yet (see end of this post and check post # 2186 as an example).

Ok, this forum is for Camry ‘woes’ – here are mine:

Four bothersome woes:

Woe #7 – Interior trim fit, alignment, finish – disappointing for a car this expensive
    Woe #6 - Driver side B-pillar rattle - in less than 30 miles. In my case, I think it comes from the adjustable seatbelt height mechanism in the b-pillar.
    Woe #5 – A little more wind noise from A-pillar region than I expected @ 60 mph.
    Woe #4 – On brake application to slow down say from 40 to 20 and on lifting foot, the car seems to continue braking for a few seconds - Experienced exactly the same behavior in another Camry test drive last month.

The next two, I am wondering how I am going to tolerate these:

Woe #3 - The center console blue-green plastic portion is much larger in Nav equipped cars. At night this portion is back-lit with a pretty blue, but bright light. It might not bother others, but it does me. There is a switch to dim this, but it simultaneously reduces the intensity of the speedometer light to fairly dim levels. Sigh! This going to take me a while to get used to it. My suggestion to Toyota: de-couple the adjustment of dash and console lights and provide two dimmer switches, one that also allows a complete console light turn off. (If such a switch already exist and I am unaware of - let me know)
    Woe #2 - Uncomfortable driver seat (for me) - my tush hurt after a single 30 minute ride, I don’t look forward to hour long drives. To me it feels foamy/spongy like inexpensive living-room furniture. I’ve played with the seat adjustments until the cows came home – no joy.
    I think foamy/cushy seats or mattresses feel deceptively comfortable for a while - but soon get less comfortable and eventually feel hard with uneven pressure spots/areas. Unfortunately, my test drives were all shorter than 20 minutes, and I ignored a number of ‘uncomfortable seat’ posts in this and other forums. Maybe the firmer SE seats would suit me better for long term support.

But the single reason I want my 30 grand back: PLEASE!

Woe #1 – V6 6Speed transmission: Two things so far. A) When cold, and on first starts, as I get rolling the transmission feels like it is in neutral or slipping and then it engages pretty hard – this shiftshock causes the car to lurch. If I had been parked behind a car I would have slammed into it. This has happened three times in the last two days; twice when starting forward and once in reverse as I eased backwards. B) After braking down to say 5 mph to coast through the turn and then as I gently re-apply the throttle, the engine races a little as if the transmission is in neutral or slipping and then a second or so later it engages with a perceptible jolt - sometimes soft and sometimes hard.

I’ve already told my dealer about the first incidence. Now today it happened twice again. I'll call them tomorrow again and see if they have solutions. I do not wan them ripping my new tranny apart. I’ve only got 200 miles on it. BRAND NEW CAR!!!!!!! AARGH!

I knew these issues plague both the 4 and 6cyl setups, but I had read that Toyota was reprogramming the system for cars built after early October. Guess what – transmission issues are still there. Folks, you cannot imagine the level of my frustration at the moment for buying knowing these problems still exist and for TMC selling me this car knowing that some may have problems - I hope my dealership will not feign ignorance about these issues as some other dealers have done according to the posts here.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    We feel for you. There is almost nothing more frustrating than a brand new car with major problems, ie the transmission issue in the 2007 Camry. Over the years we have had a few new cars with frustrating problems from day one. Very, very annoying and worrisome. Hang in there for awhile--give Toyota a chance to fix the transmission--if all else fails trade the car. Life is too short to be frustrated to death.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    surprised that you would lose any oil at all - that center 'plug' really designed to allow you to drain the oil out of the filter prior to removal and the reason why that the plastic 'punch' tube is supplied. I use a 3/8" rachet extension to remove the plug/small o-ring you are talking about and never have seen any oil leakage from it once removed. Thanks for the tip on the aftermarket filters, however - I just finished my 9th oil change - all done with 'Toyota' parts.
  • beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    I find it telling that in its third day of existence, the "07 Camry - No problems here" thread has only had two legitimate posts in it from people who state they have no problems. The 3 or 4 other posts admit to the following problems: replacement of all four rotors!, "slight" hesitation (and they only say slight because they are a former Avalon owner....this could be a significant issue for anyone else who never owned the king of all tranny hesitations), and random shifting jerkiness.

What part of "no problems here" don't these people understand? Just because people say they are satisfied with a car despite its problems doesn't mean the problems don't exist.....
    and a good tip for you owners of the V6 - the 2GR engines take over 6 quarts of oil with filter change - something that even some Toyota dealers haven't adjusted to, never mind the 3rd party 'Jiffy Lubes'. Double check you oil levels, you may be a quart and a half short! Also, the filter itself is a cartridge type filter which may not be in stock at the oil change places so keep one in your trunk if you have somebody else do it!
  • familyguyctfamilyguyct Member Posts: 3
    Just picked up my 07 Camry LE. You mentioned a squeak in the pillar behind driver's ear. I've noticed this too when going over bumps. Seems to be in the seat belt assembly. What did the dealer say about this? Was it fixed?
    Thank you.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's not use this discussion to critique other discussions, please.
    Thank you bdyment. Your words helped calm me down.

You are right on - Life is too short to be frustrated to death.

There are always options and solutions.
    I'll just have to wait a bit for mine.

Have great day.

-----------------

Incidently, I used the cruise control the other day. Set it at 65mph and went up a decent grade hill - no misbehaviour on the part of the transmission and engine what so ever - just solid, quiet performance.
  • lativ6lativ6 Member Posts: 14
    Silverstar,

I feel very bad for you. I have not posted in a while, and didn't realize that there were any new V6 problems.

My 2007 SE V6 has the problem you described in #1 Woe. It was initially called an RPM Flare. I had my valve body replaced, then my transmission replaced. The problem is not nearly as pronounced, but still exits to some degree every time the car has been parked for 3 hours or more.

Toyota has had five attempts to repair my car. I have filed for arbitration and also want my money back. I considered accepting a new car, but after reading your post would rather get my money back.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
  • 1sttoyotaowned1sttoyotaowned Member Posts: 11
    I finally bought a Toyota following Car Reviews and wanted to make the change when they reveiled this 268HP V6 Sedan.
    Can I just say ~Bad Move For Me and I Should of Stayed with the reliable Accord.

I have had my XLEV6 since May and the transmission slippage/flare between I think 3rd to 4th gear has existed everytime I drove the car for the first few minutes following startup and whenever it wanted to afterwards. Everytime I took it to the dealership(Checkered Flag Toyota in Virginia Beach), the problem would not show it self to the mechanic during the test drive and wanted me to leave the vehicle with them for further tests. I kept getting the "If the problem does not do it for us, we can not properly diagnose the problem. I kept telling the service advisor that I have been reading posts online regarding transmission issues and they kept telling me that they have never heard of them and I am the first they have heard. After timeless trips back and forth from the dealership for the same transmission issues, a mechanic finally came to my attention of a TSB regarding my problem and that replacement of a valve body and some other parts would remedy my problem.

Problem Solved?? NOT. I have an appointment with the dealership 10-31-06 to bring it in. Hopefully, something will be done. So far, I am not very happy with my first Toyota considering I have been driving Hondas for the last 15 years.
  • 07xle07xle Member Posts: 177
    The TSB has been out for over 2 1/2 months.

Do not depend on the dealerships, Honda or Toyota, to keep you updated.
  • lativ6lativ6 Member Posts: 14
    1st Toyota,

I heard today that my arbitration date is set for Nov. 7th. I filed with the NCDS a few weeks ago after a new transmission did not fix the problem. Since the new transmission was installed, the dealership has not been able to duplicate the flare. Today my transmissions slipped so badly that the tires spun. I'm going to take it back next week and try to document the flare still exits before my hearing.

I purchased my car in mid May and my problems have been going on since mid June. My husband wanted me to buy a Maxima and my daughter wanted an Acura TL. I gave my 1999 Honda Accord EX to her, ignored both of them and opted for the new 2007 Camry SE. I was too proud to admit the car had a problem. I still love the car, but hate the transmission and am ready to admit defeat.

I hope the next fix works for you. There are several posters that now love their car after the new transmisson was installed.

How many miles do you have on your car? I have 4,400.
  • lhulhu Member Posts: 3
    My LE v6 camry is kinda noisy while idling. It sounds like a diesel engine ( a little bit exaggerated but close) and I can feel the vibration of the steering wheel. To be honest, I am not sure if the noise is really from the engine or some belts. Does anybody have the same problem?
    I might be mistaken but I believe that TSB is for the 4cyl 5 speed, not the 6cy 6speed system.
  • chuck28chuck28 Member Posts: 259
    Hello lhu, yes I have a v-6 Se and have been anoyed with the loud Idle. It seems to be louder inside the car then when I listen from outside.Yes it does sounf like a disel truck. Some people have told me it is normal because of the high power v-6 engine. This sound is from the exhaust and not the engine. I'm not convinced this is normal? I am going to call Toyota and you should do the same. I'm wondering if there is a faulty gasket? Please keep me informed with any info. you find about this and I will do the same. Thanks, Chuck
    Sorry to hear about your loud engine idle.

I have a one week old XLE V6 - whisper quiet - can hardly hear the engine idle when standing outside the car and virtually silent inside. It's one of the many things I really like about my car.

On the other hand, my transmission is giving me problems....
    Friday morning 7:45AM
    39 degrees F outside.
    V6 6speed XLE ’07 Camry - one week old – 250 miles.

Transmission woes continuing….

I let the engine warm up one minute before engaging drive gear. Slowly moved out at 5 – 7 mph. 20 yards later transmission slips, engine raced up to 2k for a second or so and then transmission slammed hard into some low gear, jolting me and my passenger forward.

Drove to the highway about one mile away. Pressed moderately on the accelerator to merge. Car started to pick up speed and then pretty soon it is obvious it was not up shifting to 5th or 6th gear. In ten seconds I am doing 55 @ 4000+rpm and it did not drop the rpms. Indicating to me the up shifting is not occurring. Even at 60mph, rpm still over 4000+ Tried to use Triptronic to get it to up-shift, the numbers changed in the dash but rpms unchanged – no luck. I lift my foot of the throttle and I could feel engine-braking slowing the car indicating that the tranny is still locked in some mid/lower gear. Finally, 30 seconds later (I’m guessing) the car up-shifted and the rpms settled down to around 2000+ where I expected it to be all along. Basically, the transmission seemed stuck in the middle gears.

5 minutes later I got off the highway and did about 10 minutes of stop-and-go city driving. I pulled into my parking area. I put gear in reverse, pressed gas pedal – the engine revved a bit, the car barely moved and then the reverse gear engaged with a hard ‘thud’.

Called Toyota dealership – they can’t take the car until Monday, I have to live with problems for at least three more days. Apparently they will test drive and try to ‘duplicate’ this. If they find something they have to call their regional Toyota headquarters for a fix authorization/recommendation that may include “replacing the transmission” as a whole. Great! (can you detect my sarcasm?)

Tomorrow morning I am going to video tape this actual behavior as proof for the dealer's service dept.

I’m starting to think this transmission setup is a cold–blooded beast – cranky when cold. :sick:

Question for those in-the-know: any news of a software fix for the 6cyl 6speed auto transmission yet?
  • 07xle07xle Member Posts: 177
    SU006-06 REAR SUSPENSION TICK NOISE

10/25/2006 - 2007 model year Camry vehicles (North American Produced).

Some 2007 model year Camry vehicles may exhibit a ticking type noise from the rear suspension area when driving on uneven road surfaces. Use the following instructions to repair the noise.

BO020-06 REAR SEAT BACK COVER WRINKLED APPEARANCE

10/25/2006 - 2007 model year Camry SE vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown

Some customers may experience a wrinkled appearance on the rear seat back cover on Camry SE vehicles due to a poor fit of the seat cover. The rear seat back cover has been modified to improve its wrinkled appearance.

NV009-06 UPPER/LOWER WINDSHIELD TICK NOISE

9/18/2006 - 2003 – 2007 model year Toyota vehicles. 2004 – 2007 model year Scion vehicles.

If a creak, tick, or rattle noise is heard at the top or bottom of the windshield, the source of the noise may be the two windshield stoppers bonded to the top of the windshield or the windshield retainers bonded to the lower edge of the windshield. This bulletin provides the recommended repair procedure to eliminate these types of noises from the windshield area.

NOTE: Some vehicles have both stoppers and retainers while others may only have stoppers at the top of the windshield. Use the chart in this bulletin to determine the location of the windshield holding devices.
    Hi Chuck, I think our cars have exactly the same problem. It is hard to hear the noise from outside. The annoying sound seems to be able to penetrate through the firewall. Maybe it is the engine mount? I will take my car to a dealer and keep you updated. Thanks.
  • lhulhu Member Posts: 3
    Hi silverstar, my car has 3,500 miles on it. The noise was not really noticeable in the beginning. It seems some parts are wearing out after 1000 miles and the noise starts to become worse. The funny thing is: my transmission gave me some problems in the beginning(a little jerky when shifting down in the low speed) but now it seems okay.
  • exploder750exploder750 Member Posts: 159
    It was appearing as though Toyota had control over the V6-6 speed issues, but you say your car was built in October? If you have the ability, upload your video to a link for all to see. Someone else did this earlier, and it got Toyota's attention in a hurry.
  • 1sttoyotaowned1sttoyotaowned Member Posts: 11
    I have a little over 6,000 miles on it now. I had the oil changed at the same time they did the valve body replacement shortly after it hit 5,000 and the maintenance light came on.
    After the TSB fix, they told me everything works great. I took it home and it did it once but I kept thinking that maybe it needs some "break-in" time. After a week of driving and a short weekend trip out of town, the problem got worse. I would like to hear of your results/options following your hearing. I too love my car but it erks me to no tomorrow having this transmission problem with no solution to look forward to.
    With apologies to all, I officially retract most of my post #2241. I wish I had not listed Woes# 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7.

#7. When I first bought the car I expected (but did not get) exceptional fit/alignment from Toyota. But honestly, one week later, I realize I was nit-picking at small details I would never notice past the first week anyway.
    #6. After adjusting the seatbelt shoulder height adjustment mechanism at the b-pillar – no squeaks – no rattles – no nothing in the cabin for the last 300 miles.
    #5. A-pillar wind noise – I’m no longer sure if this is A-pillar noise. I am thinking now it is more tire noise than anything else. I would like something even quieter than the Michelin MXV4-S8 it came with.
    #4. I don’t like the car to use ‘engine braking’ to continue to decelerate the car for a couple of seconds after I have lifted my foot off the brake and not intentionally shifted to a lower gear. Never experienced this in my 30+ years of driving dozens of cars and brands, including the 20 I test drove before I bought the Camry. Still, maybe this is some new fangled programmed behavior for safety’s sake.
    #3. The blue console back-light is really not a woe, but it is an irritant to me. I’m going to create a cut-out mask or something to drape over the lit area at night – though I hope Toyota thinks about my suggestion for a separate dimmer switch for it.
    #2. The spongy seats that bothered me so much at first – well it turns out that I’m starting to get used to them. I’ve had firm car seats for the last 11 years; and I still prefer them, but I am starting to think these cushy ones will be fine too. They don’t hurt any more, though I have not been on a two hour drive yet.

This car has really grown on me and I look forward to drive it everyday, I am beginning to understand why this is such a popular car. But I also look forward to a 'fix' for the transmission problem.

Therefore I will no longer subject this forum to my personal peeves/preferences. I will restrict all future posts/updates to Woe #1 and other 'serious' problems if any arise.

Wishing you all a pleasant day.
  • thatzmagicthatzmagic Member Posts: 4
    i have the same se and at times i too notice an extra sound. from the outside it sounds like an irregular belt or motor turning. under acceleration the humming also isnt as quiet as some have said it to be.
  • drjamesdrjames Member Posts: 274
    On the firewall, there's passages for cables/electronics/shafts to pass through into the engine compartment. In the rare few, sometimes do to service, othertimes to poor fitment, there's supposed to be a grommet that insulates the sound... however, can sometimes be poorly fitted or missing completely. Both of which would lead to excessive engine noise to come through into the passenger compartment.
  • prowler161prowler161 Member Posts: 22
    My question is this. Why are some vehicles affected by the transmission problems and some are not? Aren’t these vehicles built with the same parts? i.e. transmission, valve body.
  • drjamesdrjames Member Posts: 274
    I could be wrong, but I haven't heard of anyone buying a late build 07 Camry built in the last two months with any problems. If this holds true, there was a statement by Toyota South that Toyota had switched vendors to produce their new transmissions because the quality of the previous vendor was not satisfactory.
  • keitha3keitha3 Member Posts: 124
    Silverstar, above, has transmission problems and has a car reportedly built this month. Perhaps his is an anomaly and that, overall, the problems have been addressed by the new OEM used for the transmissions, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
  • rmayer99rmayer99 Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone had this problem? I have a 2007 Camry 4-cyl XLE. Apparently the fit between the driver's side window and the frame is not sufficient to keep air noise from being generated at speeds above 40 mph. It makes a "ticking" noise. All of the weather stripping has been replaced, but it still persists. The passenger door window does not have this problem....any insight as to what can be done would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance,

Rob
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    i would be tempted to floor it and when it engaged so be it. They can buy me a new tranny.
    Toyota doesn't use vendors to procure transmissions. United States assembled Camry transmissions are assembled by Toyota at their plant in West Virginia:

Toyota Website Link
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    But I would be willing to bet real money that NipponDenso, Denso US, or the like, supplies all of the sensing/forcing function, servomotor type devices, for the engine and transaxle. Likewise the firmware controlling same.

That's why almost all vehicles of asian origin (Denso) have a common climate control flaw that tends to have/let the interior of the windshield fog over during the winter months, some rather quickly and/or suddenly. While those of european origin (Bosch) share a common flaw in that the outside of the windshield tends to fog over on a hot and humid summer day.

The same can be said of fog lights, asian cars cannot turn on fog lights separate from low beams but almost all european cars can.

European designs win out on the safety issue in both cases.
  • insirchofinsirchof Member Posts: 2
    I'm fairly new to the forum and can't find a post with my exact problems! I recently purchased an 07 Camry SE 4cyl., late July build. I have several issues with fit & finish! Primarily, The driver's door is not flush in it's opening. Resulting in wind noise,unable to line up pin stripe etc. Also,the right front headlight assembly poorly fits. The dealer's body shop has tried on 2 ocassions to adjust/ realign the door via adjusting the door striker,without success. Headlight assembly can't be corrected without major removal of bumper,fender, and other numerous parts! Dealer states "door is defective". Anyone else experiencing these problems or can offer valid suggestions, please reply!
  • insirchofinsirchof Member Posts: 2
    Rob, I recently posted a similar issue/problem with the driver's door on my 07 Camry SE. Please read my post when you get a moment. My car is White in color....what is yours?
    I've also experienced a red/brownish residue coming from the drain holes in the doors, hood etc; that is leaving a stain on the paint. This residue is tough to get off..if you're lucky. Look forward to your reply.
    Thanks,
    Ron
    It's possible that Toyota switched vendors for some of their transmission components.

drjames, who in the world is "Toyota South" and do you have a link to their "statement"?
  • master1master1 Member Posts: 340
    These things are definetly possible. Don't worry about it, just take it to the dealer -- they will have to fix it.
  • 8up8up Member Posts: 4
    I did pick up my car from dealership Mon. The 23rd. This is my 2nd transmission replacement. 3rd for the car including the original. Still spiking or flaring 3-4 gear change. I called Toyota customer service . They are supposed to get back with me early this week. Don't know what they plan to do! I called the dealership and told them it still doesn't work right and that I don't want another tranny. This is crazy. I'm ready for a buy-back myself. I'll go back to owning 5000 dollar 100,000 mile cars!!!
    Correct - Oct 6 2006 according to the sticker on the door frame near the driver seat.

And supposedly (according to dearlership) the build/assembly started on Oct 2.

Here is a thought: Even thought my car was assembled in October, what if the transmission was built prior to October, that is, it was from older stock.

Anyway to confirm this?
    Details....

At ~40k miles my 2001 AWD RX300's ATF was looking/smelled burned and appeared to be contaminated. I changed it out twice, 4 qts first time and 5 the second, after I discovered the second ATF drain plug in the diff'l case.

Am now at ~60K miles and the ATF still looks mostly pristine.

I became suspicious of the possibility of the VC heating to operational levels so I checked the condition of the gearcase oil in the transfer case and it looked okay, clear.

I have always checked the ATF fill/condition at each DIY oil change and I don't remember taking note of any ATF problems/indications prior to the 40k mark.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should revise my theory of the proposed sequence of events that led to all of these early transaxle failures and then engine/transaxle downshift delay/hesitation issues problems.

Suppose...

In about 99 Toyota and Lexus started using the FULL lift-throttle upshift sequence in order to A), improve FE, B), prevent engine compression braking from interfering with ABS activity, C), reduce the potential for loss of
    directional control due to engine compression braking, and D), any or all of the above.

Apparently the ATF oil pressure pump in these earlier models did not have the capacity to provide enough pressure/flow for two gear changes in quick succession so
    these transaxles begin to fail due to the unexpected rate of clutch frictional surface wear from slippage.

So the ATF oil pressure pump in the later models (2000, 2001 RX300??) had more pumping capacity.

The problem that arises (arose?) from that fix is the fact that providing this extra volume/flow pump capacity with the engine at idle meant bypassing HUGE volumes of pressurized ATF at high engine RPM even when no volume, or very little volume, at all was/is required.

Not only HIGHLY INEFFICIENT, but generates lots, TONS, of extra heat in the process. (Was the trailer towing package, including external ATF cooling heat exchanger, in my 2001 REALLY an option?)

Overheated ATF resulting in the requirement that (thoroughly BOILED) ATF be changed out on a 15,000 mile schedule.

So by 2004, the RX330, the lower capacity ATF pump was back in use and DBW was being used to delay engine torque development until the required downshift was completed. Note that the VC was also dropped for the entire
    RX330 run.

Now I know why Ford has just announced they are using a variable displacement ATF pump in the new (FWD) Ford Edge "for improved transaxle operational efficiency".

That would allow them to have HIGH volume/displacement capacity when gearshifts are commanded at low engine RPM, and proportionately lower volume/displacement depending on engine RPM at other gearshift times. And only enough volume to overcome system leakage and provide computing power
    (valve body) otherwise.

Highly efficient and no requirement to use DBW to delay the onset of engine torque...

Do you suppose Toyota is listening...??

Or given that the engine "flare" issue seems to have more recently come about has Toyota already begun to use a variable displacement ATF pump but the firmware is not yet been quite correctly "tuned" toward having enough volume, pumping capacity, at all the "correct" times.

Does anyone have co-existence of the 3-4 shift engine flare problem and the engine/transaxle downshift delay/hesitation problem?
    I think I'd forget it and buy a new Edge. ;)
  • redcam1redcam1 Member Posts: 6
    I have one which I just purchased in late August. After a couple of weeks I noticed that the engine revs increased about 1000 RPM without shifting when accelerating gently from 30-40 MPH first thing in the AM. I backed off the throttle slightly and it shifted. After that I did not see the problem for a while, but now it happens more frequently. Typically it occurs after the car has sit for a while, especially overnight. The first time was in September and it was not a cold morning here in North Carolina. Now it seems to be happening more frequently, and this morning my wife stated that it really revved and the transmission shifted with a loud thunk. The dealership told her that all of the 07 Camrys with the V6 and auto hesitate to shift at times and it is no big deal, but that the loud noise is not good, and we have an appointment for this Saturday. Seems that they have known about this problem and no it is NOT "fixed". Really upsetting because other than that I really do love this car. Last 5 digits of the VIN 17335.
  • chuck28chuck28 Member Posts: 259
    Hello, I had a trans replacement just over 2 weeks ago om my V-6 SE. Well just today the RPM flare hase come back with flares of 200 to 400 RPM. I will be watching this more closely. I was told it was a revised trans that was replaced. I'm starting to believe that this is more of a computer problem? I'm hoping Toyota figures this out soon?
    the 6 speed tranny behavior seems like it could be more bothersome that what I have with the same engine and the 5 speed in my Avalon. The 5 speed will only hesitate on gear selection on heavy reapplication of the throttle after coastdown from a higher speed, and it is sensitive to 'jabs' at the accelerator. A similar behavior reported on the 4 cyl 5 speed. Once I 'learned' this, I have found it easy to avoid by simply 'forcing' a downshift on coastdown (with a slight pressure on the accelerator) during which time the proper lower gear engages and any reacceleration occurs without a problem. By now (40k miles) it has all become second nature, so much so that I don't believe I would have Toyota even try to 'fix' it because I sincerely believe that any software change would negatively impact my FE.
    The 6 speed behavior in the Camry V6/ES, likely also computer related, seems like it might have minimization of torque steer on 'its' mind. A similar 'gear slipping' approach now adopted by Honda/Acura on their high power V6s. The reported drivetrain 'clunk' on full reengagement, and the relationships to outside temperature should, however, not be.
    Have a suspicion that it may not be possible to drive any of these cars smoothly without some 'retraining' on all our parts - as ridiculous as that sounds. It does seem that the majority of drivers out there do seem to adjust to it quite well, not experiencing any hesitation issues, when the laws of mass production would seem to argue otherwise.
    "...heavy reapplication of the throttle..."

Heavy reapplication....

Like this...??

Higher octane allows the engine to operate in a Taller gear ratio at a low(er) RPM without "lugging", knock/ping.

So with a higher octane when you initially re-apply pressure to the gas pedal shortly after/during the lift-throttle upshift the transaxle may (more often) remain, briefly, in the "taller" gear ratio since the ECU "knows" that will not result in a seriously detrimental level of Knock/Ping. The ECU would therefore allow the DBW system to immediately begin raising engine RPM, generating additional drive torque, as a result of the new, re-applied, gas pedal pressure.

So now the engine RPM is no longer at idle and should you continue to increase the pressure on the gas pedal such that a downshift is required to keep the engine in a proper, non-lugging, operating range there is now much more likelihood that there will be be enough ATF pump pressure/flow volume to accommodate the upcoming downshift.

The above might also be an indication that a fairly s..l...o....w re-application of pressure to the gas pedal after a FULL lift-throttle event might often alleviate the downshift delay/hesitation regardless of octane. Whereas a quick/fast/heavy re-application would almost always result in a serious level of knock/ping absent an immediate downshift.

Counter-intuitive, huh..??

Go SLOW, to GO QUICKLY...!!

Okay...??
  • andy82471andy82471 Member Posts: 120
    Can you like create your own forum and not post the same theory over and over again on this page ?
    not exactly fair, while wwest's posts may seem repetitive, this is not necessarily so, and his explorations and speculations as to 'how and why' have certainly helped me understand how to combat the same irregular behaviors that many posters here are complaining about. Quoting him:
    The above might also be an indication that a fairly s..l...o....w re-application of pressure to the gas pedal after a FULL lift-throttle event might often alleviate the downshift delay/hesitation
    This is exactly what I've learned to do and for me, at least, it does work - it has been literally months since I've experienced anything approaching a 'hesitant' tranny! And it has also become quite 2nd nature as well - don't even have to think about it anymore.
  • gmontagewgmontagew Member Posts: 32
    Well, this one is sort of repetitious, because the exact same hypothesis has been brought forward several times in several other threads discussing irregular behaviors.
    So it's not the first time for sure, but it does have its helpful side for me. The context which resonates the most when this theory has been raised before is that the irregular behaviors can actually be induced by manipulating the throttle in certain ways.