Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• chuck28chuck28 Posts: 257
    Hi Lativ,I am still waiting on them to do my valve body. They are waiting on a O ring. I'm trying to have patience.
    The next step may be for them to change the transmission. I read a post where they had the valve body replaced that did'nt fix the problem but when the trans and torque converter was replaced there was no problems after 3 weeks.
    You may also be able to ask for a 7 year 100,000 mile waranty on the new trans? I feel for you as I am going through the same emotions. You may want to look into the lemon law as I may do that? Though you must give them a chance to get it right. Hang in there! Chuck
    Ps I would love to talk to you further though this site does not allow the exchange of info. Keep in touch...
  • Do any of you notice that the rear tire wells of the 07 Camry are made of fabric? It looks like the same material that the trunk is lined with. I have never seen this and usually manufactures make the wheel wells out of something more durable. I’m wondering in rain if this would absorb water.
    :confuse:
  • My car is a 4 cylinder. I have a case # and case manager assigned to my complaint. They have not returned 2 phone calls. I will try to speak to a supervisor thursday morning. Those of us who have the drivetrain problem are getting stonewalled by Toyota.
  • drjamesdrjames Posts: 274
    Do any of you notice that the rear tire wells of the 07 Camry are made of fabric? It looks like the same material that the trunk is lined with. I have never seen this and usually manufactures make the wheel wells out of something more durable. I’m wondering in rain if this would absorb water.

good question eddiecruz... it's not a cost cutting measure, it's actually been used in lexus models and is intended to further reduce road noise, especially, the dings and 'ticks' that you'd hear driving on gravel roads and salted roads. My Lexus RX has it, and has stood up very well. It doesn't soak up water like you'd think...
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Has anyone tried to get a TV station or Newspaper interested in doing a story on these problems. Manufacturers hate news/tv about problems.
  • agnostoagnosto Posts: 205
    Does anyone know if the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid has similar transmission issues as the 2007 Camry I4 and or V6 experience? I know that TCH has ECVT transmission, but I was curious as I am planning to purchase one before 9/30/06.

Let me/us know...
  • My 2007 Camry 4cyl 5MT also hesitates very badly, usually between 2500-3500rpms. I have taken it to the dealership a couple times and they have opened a tech case. Has anyone had any luck yet? BTW, Mall of Georgia Toyota was much more helpful than Atlanta Toyota. Atlanta Toyota was rude and acted like I was crazy. I also found their shop foreman does not know that much about those cars. He tried to tell me the 4cylinder Camry has four O2 sensors so I asked him to show me them.. Cause I thought it only had two.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    The two tranny's are entirely different. The PSD in the TCH and Prius and Highlander Hybrid does not shift in the same way as a traditional transmission does.

The PSD/ECVT has potentially an infinite number of settings ( gears ) depending on what's needed, not the 4, 5 or 6 as in a traditional tranny. You should drive one for an extended test to see that there is no sense of shifting at any time. The reliability of this has been excellent since it was intro'd in the 2004 Prius.
  • My vehicle SE V6 had about 600 miles on it when it became very noticeable. The speed does not matter, my shift flare occurred during the 1st couple of cycles through the gears at start up. Regarding your other question about "holding on to 2nd gear for a long time" I would agree completely, mine seems to do the same thing.

I had my vehicle in for service and according to the TSB they replaced the valve body. Picked up my car yesterday and the flare is still there, the TSB did not work. The thing that upset me the most is the technician said "it's all fixed" and as soon as I drive off the lot the prob lem repeated itself. I dropped my car off this morning and called Toyota Customer Service, they issued me a case number and told me that a case manager would call me within 24 hours. I love the car, hate the transmission issues I'm having. This is my first Toyota and how I am treated regarding this problem will be a deciding factor if I should ever buy Toyota again.
  • As I've stated before in other posts, the teaching procedure applied after the repair is quite specific and, if not followed properly, could lead to a transmission that continues to exhibit the flare.

Do you know that the tech took the car out and performed the procedure properly?
  • He stated the procedure to me about depressing the accelerator 15% then 25% and entering some info on a diagnostic tester...so I am assuming they did it properly. Was I there and know for sure, no, but I would like to think that they don't want to keep seeing me every week and fix the problem according to the TSB.
  • Well, I'm back. As most of you know, I had a new transmission put in my car about a month and a half ago, after the regular "fixes" (rebooting, manual reboot, valve body replacement, solenoid, etc...) and unfortunately the flaring has returned. I took my car in on Tuesday, and the dealership was instructed by Toyota to drain the transmission fluid (which they tried twice on the original transmission - to no avail), and to reboot the computer.

I have filed and been assigned yet another case number, although the rep said I shouldn't expect a call back from anyone.

I will be contacting Toyota tomorrow, in the hopes that they will do an even trade on another Toyota, before I file under the Texas Lemon Law (since this was the fifth attempt at repair - even though our laws only require three attempts). I was going to pursue this a couple of months ago, but then they called about the new transmission, so I was hoping this problem would be resolved.

To those of you that have had success with customer service, regarding trade-ins or buy backs, will you please give me their names?
    Hello Yorkdane,I was wondering what camry do you own? v-4 or v-6?
    I just got my car back today v-6 se after a valve body replacement. No problems yet though I'm waiting ti'll the morning to see if the rpm flare is gone seeing that it only happens after thefirst 10 mins after a cold start. I'm still waiting to hear from someone who has had suscess with a valve body replacement. I hope Toyota take care of your issues? Keep in touch, Chuck
  • Has anyone had any luck with Lemon Law in Georgia?
  • V-6. Mine worked fine for about 2 days after that repair, then went back to flaring.

As for the repairs made on yesterday, I got in my car this morning, and it is now flaring between 1st and 2nd, and 3rd and 4th.
  • Well the dealership said they did not program the transmission correctly and reprogrammed it. I picked up the car and test drove with technician in the car, spike of 700 rpm between 3rd and 4th. The service manager and tech said that the transmission needs to learn my driving style (Bull shi#) I do not believe that is the reason. Anyway, they said it would take 3-4 days to learn??? I'm going to drive it over the weekend and if the problem still exists, which I fully expect it will, I will be taking my car back in Monday.
  • The recent posts echo my experience with RPM spike (what Toyota calls RPM flare) on my (former) 2007 Camry XLE V6. I had the valve body replaced and then the transmission replaced and the problem was still there.

Has anyone had the RPM spike (flair) problem successfully fixed on their 2007 V6 Camry? If so, please post the details of your repairs so that the rest of those affected can at least get an idea of where to start.

It just amazes me that it is taking Toyota so long to get a definitive fix for this problem.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    wasn't it post 1520 that indicated success with the transmission and torque convertor being replaced? maybe the issue is in the torque convertor?
  • francfranc Posts: 20
    Chuck, Please let me know what happens. Read my posts to see where we are with our 2007 4 cyl. Camry. We have two cases opened and they still say there is nothing wrong with the transmission. Just spoke to the Toyota Case Rep. and told her not to call again unless they have a fix or are willing to admit that there is a problem. Maybe we can find someone in the Atlanta area, we live in Marietta, that will figure out what is wrong. Can't believe this is the Toyota Corp. :(
    Hello, I checked for the rpm flaring 1st thing this morning seeing this is when it usally would happen. So far no flaring though I'm nervous when hearing about pthers who have had it come back. I have the v-6 and they only replaced the valve body. I am in the North suburbs of Chicago dealing with Grossinger Toyota in Skokie.
    Tomorrow will be day 2 and hoping for the best?
    Keep in thouch
  • I have a 2200 mile new 2007 camry. Neither my case manager or her supervisor will return my call. They say the rpm spiking and hesitation will work itself out by the 1st or 2nd service. What a disappointment.
  • Sorry to hear that the problem is still there. :(

I thought that the teaching was not done correctly the first time and I would bet that it wasn't done correctly the second time. And the comments about the transmission having to learn your driving style to eliminate the still-present flare is, as far as I am concerned, a sign of the service people covering their incompetence.

I hope on Monday you can tell me I was wrong.
    Has anybody noticed that on the radio settings they have a asl feature? The manual says you can adust it to low-med or high which I saw on the v-4 le loner I drove. My car though the v-6 SE only offers you to turn it on or off. No low-med-high.
  • Wow, this transmission issue has me worried. I am buying a car next week, and was planning on the Camry LE, but now maybe I should go with the Accord. How common are these problems?
  • w9cww9cw Posts: 888
    I have always loved the Camry, and was very seriously considering a 2007 Camry LE. However, it appears the problems with the transmission, and the other reported problems, are getting the attention of the buying public. Our local Toyota dealer has a substantial number of Camrys in stock, CE, LE, SE, and XLE, and the inventory turnover is not normal. In fact, I've checked the lot every couple of days for 3 weeks, and these cars are simply not moving off the lot as in the past.

One question that I don't know if anyone has addressed as yet: Toyota contracted with the Subaru plant in Lafayette, IN to build Camrys to increase Toyota's production capacity. Does anyone know if production there has begun, and I wonder if any of the fit-and-finish (build quality) problems pointed out by several publications may be due to this facility, and not the Georgetown, KY plant?
  • taracatac, I desperately need a car. I ordered camry LE and later cancelled and got the deposit back. It seems the problems are quite widespread. Some people can live with it, some can not. I just don't want to be one of those unhappy person. Personally, I like toyota. I have a corolla and I love it. later, I looked for accord and it seems that the accord has brake, ABS and sometimes transmission problems (source yahoo auto reviews).So what car to buy?

Personally I talked with 3 people and they are happy with their camry purchase.

You can check other sites for reviews (msn, yahoo etc).
  • drjamesdrjames Posts: 274
    taracatac, I desperately need a car. I ordered camry LE and later cancelled and got the deposit back. It seems the problems are quite widespread. Some people can live with it, some can not. I just don't want to be one of those unhappy person. Personally, I like toyota. I have a corolla and I love it. later, I looked for accord and it seems that the accord has brake, ABS and sometimes transmission problems (source yahoo auto reviews).So what car to buy?

Personally I talked with 3 people and they are happy with their camry purchase.

hey ilovecars1, you can make that 4 very happy people. Though I've become a little paranoid ever since reading about the transmisions problems here, driving at irregular speeds and ways to try and see if I have that problem, my 07 SE has been nothing short of perfect. It's been just over 3 months now and can say I don't regret trading in my very old Avalon. I also own a Lexus 350 and Porsche Boxter S and can honestly say that my Camry is my preferred everyday car.

What I can suggest is forming a relationship with the dealer... so to have the peace of mind that you'll be taken care of. My dealer let me drive two different models for 24 hour test drives. And I don't necissarily believe that this transmission problem is as wide spread as you might think. I've yet to read one professional automotive journalist report such an issue, and I'd bet that some of the negative reviews on msn and yahoo are the same that are having problems here.

Anyways, Good luck. A lot of decent cars out there too, but I don't think you have too much to worry about in buying or leasing an 07 Camry.
  • damon34damon34 Posts: 124
    I drove my camry over 5000 miles before I had any problems with it. So I dont know if you will find it in the test drive. I am happy to hear that he is happy with his SE, Because I am thinking of trading my SE in for a 07 maxima, which if I would of test drove one before my Camry I would of bought it instead. Look around out there.
  • Thanks for your post. Is your car a 4 cyl? How many miles on it?
  • So far I have absolutely no complaints with my TCH's transmission. At first I found that the car was not exciting. There is no surge of power when it shifts/down shifts. Then I drove our other car, iritating! If the (5 spd) tranny didn't down shift it was sluggish, and sometimes, it revs too much if it downshifted. I never had any complaint with the gear ratio selected by the TCH.

For the average driving the CVT is great smooth with no "shift" lag. I wouldn't buy it for my sports car. BTW, I am very pleased with the real life performance of the TCH.