Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• w9cww9cw Posts: 888
    Something is very wrong with these images. A 4-cylinder Camry's exhaust is on the right hand side of the bumper. Surely, you should have noticed the bumper alignment and exhaust problem prior to delivery of your V6. Normally, the salesperson and the buyer conducts a walk-around inspection prior to delivery. Moreover, the dealer's PDI was obviously pretty much non-existent. I would be "all over" my salesperson on this one, but ultimately you share some responsibility for not noticing these problems at delivery. At least I know I visually scrutinize every new car I purchase before signing the final papers and driving off the lot.
  • lzclzc Posts: 483
    >>>I believe there is a difference between cars "Made in America" . . . and those made 100% (or close to that; like 95% parts from Japan), then those in the states of the same model.

Have you looked at the certificate of origin glued on the window of each new Camry? If not, you're in for a surprise. Cars assembled in Japan come from 75% made-in-America parts(!)-- exactly the same percentage as in Camrys assembled in Kentucky.

I suppose one can't rule out a difference in the quality of assembly, but the parts, they are the same.
    Although the OP wasn't perfectly clear, I think the real implication was of quality of assembly. And, here he/she may have a very valid point. This has been an on-going argument for imports built here in the USA for some time. Is the build quality of a Georgetown-built Camry equal to that of a Japanese-built Camry? Toyota USA says "yes," and so do the dealers, but I really wonder.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    ......"Drive gently and avoid high speeds

I guess it's a difference in interpretation. In the US now 70+ mph is the standard highway speed. Note that from prior models they dropped the recommendation not to go over 55 mph during breakin.

I interpret the guidance from the manual as meaning don't race anybody off the line thereby over-revving the engine or, within the limits of safety, come to a screeching stop.

Gentle but normal acceleration is the key, IMO. Consider though that if the vehicle is 'attempting' to learn the driving pattern of the new owner, and over the first 1000 miles one type of driving is done but then thereafter a different type of driving is done the AI systems can become skewed.

I'd take the guidance from the manual to be drive in your normal way and let the systems become accustomed to your patterns.
    Try driving 70+ in most of Illinois - of course, the Chicagoland area is another matter - and in most areas of Ohio and Pennsylvania, you will be paying serious speeding ticket fines. This is especially true in Ohio. Ohio state police monitor speeds on their interstates with great vigor.
  • flyingjflyingj Posts: 7
    I brought my 07 Camry back today and I am getting 100% refund. I will be getting a new Carolla soon.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    On most of the E Coast except in the heavily congested areas the 'normal' speed is 70-80. On I95 and I85, 85 mph is hardly unusual ( Jersey Tpke and south of Richmond ).
  • edsamedsam Posts: 14
    The dealer called this morning and promised a replacement bumper will be waiting for me on Wed (today is Mon). It took another Toyota dealer over a week to secure a replacement front bumper for my Highlander in June. Red non-SE V6's are not very common around here. Hmmm ...

I'll update the forum again after the repair.
    Am I wrong that the Lexus ES350 engine and transmission are essentially identical to the Camry V6? If so, why don't I find complaints posted on CarSpace message boards about hesitation in the ES350?

There is a board devoted to ES transmission problems. But the comments all refer back to earlier models. So far, new ES buyers seem to be very happy with their cars.

What's going on here? I might jump on the "Lexus is made in Japan" bandwagon if I didn't recall reading some complaints about Camrys assembled in Japan. It's something else I think.
  • ilovecars1ilovecars1 Posts: 119
    could you please explain your problems?
  • njeraldnjerald Posts: 688
    A newer model and less of them.

The Camry came out about 2 months before the ES350 and I'm sure the V6 Camry outsells the ES350 on a monthly basis.

The majority of complaints has been from Kentucky V6's.
    All true, but the ES350 has sold approximately 21,000 units after 3 months. Complaints about Camry transmission problems started showing up here almost immediately after sales began. There isn't even one complaint about the new ES350 transmission posted.

Yes, the majority of complaints have been about Kentucky-built V6s, but that's likely because the overwhelming majority are assembled there.
  • savonsavon Posts: 3
    you are wrong, there has been a major transmission problem with lexus es350. just go to clublexus.com and read about it. you will be surprised.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    i think it's important people do this as there have been numerous ES owners dealing with this for some time, and all the reflashes don't seem to be bringing them satisfaction:
    http://clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87068

the problem with the DBW/transmission in the Lexus pre-dates the Camry and Avalon and other model issues.
    Thanks for the info. Yep, there are transmission complaints there. Odd, none here. Well, at least that should put to rest the notion that it's a US vs Japan-assembly issue.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    If you check flyingj's profile, you'll find links to the posts where the problem is explained. That way you don't need to ask for them to be repeated. ;)
  • gartmacdgartmacd Posts: 27
    I own a new Avalon and I know this is a Camry discussion,but please bear with me. On a recent visit to a Toyota Dealer in Nova Scotia, Canada I happened to be speaking with a Service Manager. We had just dropped into the local (Yarmouth)Toyota dealer for a quick look around at the new models on display. I was asking about those transmission complaints and directed the Service Mgr to look at the Avalon forum, which he perused. His surprise was very clearly evident. They apparently haven't experienced any of the hesitation issues being reported. While I was there he also scanned this "Camry Woes" topic and saw a recent post showing pictures of a Camry rear bumper which was said to be a 4cyl bumper wrongly installed on a 6cyl model. A lot of criticism had resulted from that picture. He chuckled at that and showed me how it was undoubtedly a picture of a rear bumper damaged by impact of some kind. He said it would be impossible to install a 4cyl bumber on the 6 cyl frame because the frame mounts couldn't be lined up, and that the damage more likely occurred because the bumper was either hit, or was pulled out of position accidentally by some kind of impact.
    Now I can't speak to the reality of what I was told, but it did raise my curiosity, and I thought readers might find it equally interesting.
    Either way, It appears from what I read that the bumper will be replaced so regardless, there's a happy ending to the story.
    gartmacd, did you ask about the hesitation problem in toyota camry or avalon?
    TMSUSA, do you have any feedback on our LE 4 cylinder hesitation problem?
  • maximafanmaximafan Posts: 592
    I also came to the same conclusion when I saw
    the picture; damaged bumper, not incorrect
    bumper