Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• fxguyfxguy Member Posts: 132
    The day GM builds cars more reliable than Toyota will be a cold day in hell. It wont happen. It's the mentality of the folks that run GM. They may not have the best selling car in the U.S. (Camry), but they have other cheap models that they sell to Pro American buyers in large quantities to offset what the Camry is doing sales wise. One must remember that only a small percentage of Camry owners are experiencing this transmission problem. Those are the ones you see on this site. Most owners that are happy with their car are not here praising it.
  • sumnercsumnerc Member Posts: 12
    The transmission is engineered inproperly. It is defective and can't be fixed. Toyota denies this but will eventually end up in court and have to buy back every 2007 Camry v6 at it's original cost plus all the interest buyers have paid plus taxes etc. Estimated cost to Toyota now $1-2 billion.
    They also will be facing liabilty suits for every accident in a 2007 v6 Camry and unspecified punitive damages which could reach astronomical proportions.
    The NHTSA is now investigating toyota.
    Toyota is like a sinking ship. The result will likely be a 50 plus percent loss of U.S. auto sales.
    They deserve what they're going to get.
  • fxguyfxguy Member Posts: 132
    You are too funny. Surely you know most of what you posted will never happen.......
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "It is defective and can't be fixed..."

No, all Toyota needs to do is install the engine/transaxle ECU control firmware from the Camry version just prior (2002??) to adopting DBW. You might then experience premature transaxle failure prior to 100k miles but at least the transaxle will always be reasonably, MORE, responsive when you hit the GO pedal.

And if you browse around the internet, or even just here at Edmunds, you will discover that almost all marques with FWD products are going through the very same evolutionary phase in order to make FWD's just as safe as their RWD counterparts while still maintaining the FWD advantage of additional "GO" traction.

Insofar as I know only Ford has come up with a reasonable solution. The new Ford Edge has a variable displacement ATF pump so pumping volume at idle can be HIGH but non-wasteful at high engine RPM by running at low volume. Ford also seems to have the "edge" with FWD hydrids given the US patent that was granted them regarding same.

The patented techniques involve significantly reducing the level of regenerative braking available if the OAT is near, at, or below freezing, and INSTANTLY disabling regenerative braking altogether if ABS activates during actual braking.
  • jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    so we may as well drop it and get back to the business of bashing the 07's.

"bashing" the '07 camry....that will probably get you an e-mail from the host.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

The above is just a polite way of saying what I said.
  • goldsuvgoldsuv Member Posts: 51
    A number of automatic transmissions have a variable displacement ATF pump. The most obvious is the GM 6T70 which is the GM counterpart to the Ford Edge transmission since both transmissions were designed in a joint venture between GM and Ford. The GM 4L60 which came out in 1992 is also another example. Also transmissions made by GM for BMW, all have variable displacement ATF pumps. How do you know the Toyota U660E doesn't have one?
  • herrimherrim Member Posts: 14
    I purchased a 2007 Toyota Camry XLE V4. It has 2, 500 miles on it; but I’m experiencing some difficulties and I was wondering if someone was experience something similar:

1. The breaks: It’s making a weird noise, like something is stuck in it. Even when I brake softly.
    2. The air filter. It goes off a lot, especially when I go from Auto to a lower fan speed.
    3. Gas: It is averaging 20.4 miles per gallon. Also, it all the sites that I’ve gone, the tank seems to be 18.5 gallons capacity. Mine gets 15.5. The sticker on the car said 24/33. Even on the government website, fueleconomy.gov; the revised mileage for it is 24.5 mpg.
    4. The defogger. It doesn’t work very well, even if the fan is all the way up, it takes a long time to start clearing the back window.
    5. It seems not aligned; the car goes to the left or to the right super fast.
    6. The car stalls or idles completely if I drive in low speed (up to 40), instead of doing it gradually.
    7. The wind-noise is very high. It seems like a window is open.
    8. In 2 occasions it hesitated to start.
    9. It is starting to have stronger vibrations when I’m in a red light or I stop the car. I expected that in years to come, not with less than 3, 000 miles.
    10. I’m starting to feel a little overheating where the pedals are. Even if I put the AC down there.
    11. In the back passenger door, down in the middle is always leaks a rusty liquid and leaves a mark on it. I can be easily be wiped down but I was wondering why it does it.

I know these are little minor things, but I want to make sure I don’t want to know if someone else has experienced similar situations with the Camry XLE 2007.

Thanks.
  • chuck28chuck28 Member Posts: 259
    Lemon law guidelines which means you need to have at least 4 attempt to fix the same problem. Make sure you have it documented as dealerships love to make 2 attempts seem like one attempts. In my case I only had two official attempts which I believe the Arbitrator already new the outcome before the meeting. Other than that I had a great case. If you have the 4 attempts documented from the dealership you have a great chance to win. Stick with the facts. Good Luck, buy the way I'm still trying to get Toyota to fix my car!
  • chuck28chuck28 Member Posts: 259
    I accidentally deleted part of my response to the arbitration. I lost my case primarily due to the Lemon law guidelines which the states use. It can vary from state to state though you need to have 4 attempt in most cases. Be sure to have it all documented. Toyota probably already knows if you have a case that will win or loose. Attempted fixes is the key. Also be careful with Lemon law layers that want money upfront.
    Do your own research about the lemon law where you live. If you have a strong case you can win in Arbitration without paying upfront money. Good Luck
  • teamtboteamtbo Member Posts: 78
    herrim, sorry to hear about all these issues.

#1. There are two Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) regarding a front brake and rear brake squeek. (BR008-06 and BR010-06)
    #5. There is a TSB related to the alignment pulling to one side. (ST005-01)
    #6 & #9. I think these are related to TSB ED036-06 "Fuel in Evap System (Revised)"
    #11. This may be related to TSB BO005-07 "Water Leak at Headliner or Floor Area (Revised)".

I have heard you can find these TSBs online for free. I subscribed to www.tundrasolutions.com. I pay a yearly fee and get access to all TSBs for all Toyotas and Lexus.
  • robert47robert47 Member Posts: 13
    I purchased it at a Toyota Dealer. There 648 miles on it. They discontinued $648 just for the mileage. They said that the car has been used as a loaner sometimes.
  • vizyovizyo Member Posts: 35
    I have similar problems with my 2007 LE.

- My car pulls left all the time. I noticed this when my arm got tired trying to keep the car on the center all the time.
    - The best mileage I had so far is 23mpg with 80% highway driving. I have 3700km on my car. I kept all the receipts from gas stations. 23mpg is the average of all so far. 24/33mpg does not seem to be right !!!
    - When I stop on the lights the car hesitates to accelerate when I try to move it again. It uses the highest gear but the car does not take it and shakes. This is when the transmission is at D.
    - At high speed, transmission again does not respond. It put me in very dangerous situations a few times when I was trying to merge in to the highway.

I am not going to be surprised if I see more problems. I wish I could read all the reviews before I bought this car. I just relied on my years of experience with my old Toyotas.

Toyota will probably correct some of the defects on camry after all these complaints. Then we will be debuggers who payed the full price to own this junk car.
  • wheelinwilliewheelinwillie Member Posts: 2
    I bought a new 2007 Camry XLE-4 cyl in 09/2006. 2 months later a warning sound (ding, ding, ding)would come on during braking and turning, then followed by a dash warning msg. "low engine oil pressure". Took it to the dealer, who simply changed the oil & filter. 2-3 months later, same thing happens again, back to the dealer, another oil change, but only 2 qts came out. Dealer can't find the problem. No external leaks, no smoke from tailpipe, no oily soot in tailpipe, it seems to consume 1 qt of motor oil every 1,000 miles.
    Access to techinfo.toyota.com

And keep in mind that engineers designing FWD automatic "transaxles" vs RWD automatic transmissions have a lot less space to work with. I keep wondering just how they have managed to fit a 3.5L V6, torque converter, diff'l, and a six speed automatic into the available "sideways" space.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    broken / stuck pcv valve?
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I don't know what the problem is, but you ought to check your engine oil level, maybe once a week, until you get this resolved. Add oil as needed. You don't want the engine to run low on oil to the point that a warning light/sound comes on.
  • westhoustonwesthouston Member Posts: 1
    I have 2007 LE after first 4200 miles, a technician at dealer found 2 quarters short. I then at 6300 miles I checked again at dealer, it was 1 quarter short, then at 8700 miles it again short 1 quarter. Now dealer replaced oil and ask me to come back every 500 miles for them to check. I will update about issue.
  • 650spx650spx Member Posts: 48
    The trans it self is not the problem. 95% of the ones I see fail is from customer abuse. It is all in the softwear.Sometimes manufacturers, in seeking that last ounce of gas mileage or emissions created shift schedules and torque converter clutch strategies that were not successful for all drivers in the real world.So thay get as close as thay can right now about 90% fixed. Thay are still working hard on the other 10% with problems. But it takes a very long time to rewight a pcm program alone nevermind the fact then it must pass through the goverment
    for approvel. The modern day transmission dose alot more then just shift a few gears to move the car. Hang in there Toyota did not get this big by hanging customers out to dry don't worry thay will get it fixed.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    The modern day transmission dose alot more then just shift a few gears to move the car. Hang in there Toyota did not get this big by hanging customers out to dry don't worry thay will get it fixed.
    .............or your one year period for claiming :lemon: is up.......or your warranty runs out. Either way you lose :sick:
    if you read all the complaints on the NHTSA web-site, i trust you couldn't possibly stick to the "95% of the ones i see fail is from customer abuse".

out of the wrapper, a certain number of vehicles are hesitating or shifting excessively or vaguely, and a few have had uncontrolled acceleration events.

this isn't customer abuse. this is engineering which is suffering from part / manufacturing quality, or lack of software quality assurance or design robustness, or similar.

they are trying to patch a HW problem with SW, and in the meantime, they are giving customers a ride that is anything but "moving forward".

that is all a potential customer really needs to know. :lemon:
  • camry154camry154 Member Posts: 5
    I leased a 2007 camry LE 4cyl car 7 months ago. The air bag off sign for the passenger comes on frequently. Associated with these are clock fades off, the radio does not work and i can't use the remote key to lock or unlock the car. All these happen at the same time and then within 30min all of them return to normal one by one. The dealers are not able to fix the problem. Any suggestions?
    yes, possibly.

is this an integrated multi-functional display including seatbelt warn light, clock, outside temp (LE/SE), and on the higher trim (XLE), fuel economy and stuff like that?

if so, i suspect the module or wiring to same is defective and may need to be replaced.

then again, does this have some form of steering wheel control switch? possibly, it is a clock-spring problem in the steering wheel, a device that maintains continuity in various circuits as the wheel is turned from one extent to another.

anyway, you'd expect that the dealer should be able to call the manufacturer and they should be able to tell them exactly what is likely to cause all the behaviors you are describing.
    Thank you very much for your response. I don't have the integrated display. What can i do now?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I think what he's saying is that it's not the transmissions that fail, it's the software that fails and that if a transmission physically fails, 95% of the time it's from abuse.

Doesn't make any difference to the owner, though, if it is not working right, it's not working right.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Although I have zero problems with my '07 CE 5 speed manual, I have been following this forum just for the fun of it. A big "Thanks" to 650spx for bringing some true expert experience, facts, and opinions to this forum.

650spx, it seems that many here have a problem. In the real world, what percent of Camrys do you see come through the door with these "problems"?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    >The trans it self is not the problem. 95% of the ones I see fail is from customer abuse.

Let me get this straight: you are saying that 95% of the people here with transmission problems in their Camry with a few hundred or few thousand miles have ABUSED their transmissions and CAUSED the problems.?

> It is all in the softwear.Sometimes manufacturers, in seeking that last ounce of gas mileage or emissions created shift schedules and torque converter clutch strategies that were not successful for all drivers in the real world.

This sounds like another excuse. If the transmission doesn't work right, it doesn't work right. Software; smoftware.

>But it takes a very long time to rewight a pcm program alone nevermind the fact then it must pass through the goverment for approvel.

What can you tell me about the process of tweaking an already written program to control the computer? It doesn't take a long time.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Yes that is correct thank you. I do agree with every one here that the trans issue dose put customers in a bad spot and is very bad for toyota. I do also agree toyota should step up to the plate and do something for the trans cases already in place.
    it sounds then like there is a possibility of a loose conductor from the fuse block feeding various circuits or a loose wire harness. did the dealership rule out any loose fuses and physically move the wires exiting the fuse block?

did they trace the power from the fuse block to the clock? the clock isn't likely to fade, then come back because of a clock problem, it's more likely a power supply problem to the clock or the clock back-light. it is absurd that they didn't do ANYTHING / any diagnosis.

it's also possible there is an issue with the vehicle's alternator, that possibly it isn't regulating voltage to clamp it from extremes, and a few electrical circuits are going into shutdown to protect themselves. the dealership should be able to test both the alternator and battery for proper operation.
  • vizyovizyo Member Posts: 35
    A problem has to duplicated so that the dealer can fix it. The same thing happened to me with the heater fan. It was not turning off running all the time. It just went away and I have not had it again since then.
  • stlpike07stlpike07 Member Posts: 229
    I would recommend going to a different Toyota dealer. All of the problems you mentioned are covered under warranty.
  • ganryu34ganryu34 Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone else experienced water leakage under the driver's seat (2005 Camry LE)? I've been to the dealer twice and they've seen the water, but couldn't find the leak with their leak test (running auto carwash). Is there a drain hole of some sort under or by the driver's dash? I don't have a sunroof either. I'm at my wit's end. Please, any ideals would be greatly appreciated. :sick:
    Yes I have seen a 07 v6 camry trans beaten so bad the foward clutch is welded together and every gear but park is frist. Oh buy the way that car only had 700 miles on it. I have also seen blown diff on a 07 avalon at 2200 miles. I have also seen 06 camry 4cyl trans beaten so bad the pump was blown apart. This on had 15000 miles on it. I would also like to say all these cars had 2 front BALD tires to the steel wire bald. Two of these customers had 16 and 17 year old kids driveing. Those kids will be working hard all summer to pay off those bills. The other car got stuck nose frist in the mud no air flow to the radiator. But that customer was bound and determind to get out.That car got a motor also. But the customer got that bill to. I have yet to put a warranty trans in a 06,07 camry or avalon for a shift concern. But I have done several tsb reflashes and t/b cleanings and ecm resets. I have also cleaned a few ground wires.

Now as far as you saying a program is easy to fix or rewright. I would assume by your statement you must know how to do this so let it be known.

Imidazol97 is so smart he is going to fix all the trans program problems. So send him your ecm. It is so easy he will do it for almost nothing. All you have to do is remove the ecm box it up and ship it. Oh make sure you put a little automotive knowledge and experience in the box he will need it.
    I have not realy seen this volume of cars with the problems expressed on this board. I have also spoke to others in school. I will say that in the last few years toyota quality is not what it used to be but it is still above almost all others. This report comes from a independent QC study you can find it online. I don't realy think boards like this represent the amount of happy or unhappy customers. It is like the old saying goes a happy customer will tell a few people. But a unhappy customer tells as many as possiable. There are a ton of unhappy people here telling as many prople as possiable as many times as thay can.

Now I am not saying that these people don't have problems with there cars. I actualy feel bad. I here horror stories about cars just not getting diagnosed or fixed correctly at all.

I look at these boards to see the complaints,repairs,strange quarks,and problems because I am a concerned tech who likes to fix cars right the frist time. Also being very technical reading these boards sometimes help me explain the way a system on a car works in a way a customer can understand.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Thanks for the reply, and I agree with you completely. It is good to hear from a true expert like yourself.

I also think that Camry (and all Toyotas) quality has slipped slightly since 2000, but then again other makes that are also high in quality have had similar issues, because all manufactures are trying to cut costs. I base my opinion on the fact that we had a few rattles and squeaks that had to be fixed under warranty. By the way, the problems were not at all major, and the TSB's applied by the dealer completely fixed the rattles and squeaks.

But there is one manufacturer that has by far more cash than any other and that is Toyota. And they have admitted that they are going to re-focus on quality, so my opinion is that Toyota will remain at the top, because they admitted the problems and because they have the finances to fix them.

My '07 Camry still has zero problems, and I bought it knowing that there could be a few minor issues. That is why I follow these forums. Again, I am glad to have an expert on here to set the record straight.
  • ganryu34ganryu34 Member Posts: 17
    I too have had a problem with water on the floor area. How does one resolve it. You mentioned "TSB BO005-07", does it detail repair that one can do at home or is strictly a dealer/mechanic remedy?
    Glad to have your point of view. You're right in that these "problems" forums are not indicative of the failure rate in the real world, and the Edmunds' hosts will be the first to point this out!
  • tracyk4559tracyk4559 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Camry in May 06. Since I got it it has been idling low at stops. It started out just once in a while, once a week, now it is to the point of doing this almost every time I stop. I've taken it to the dealership once before and they could not find a problem. I'm going to take it again, but have little faith they will tell me they found a problem. I don't think very highly of the dealership I bought it from.
    Has anyone else experienced this problem?
  • stlpike07stlpike07 Member Posts: 229
    You can always try taking it to another dealer. Any Toyota dealer can do warranty work.

Take them with you on a drive. The main thing is "duplicating" the problem.
    There seem to be big electronic problems with the 2007 camry which most of the dealers are not able to to identify. On top of this the irritating part is that they try to cheat you. may be we should all get together and have a class action against toyota. My car has electric problem which is getting more and more frequently and no one is willing to fix it.
    Let me summarize.
    Sumnerc posted that with many people experience problems with flares and shift quality and delays that they're not fixing they need to have to recall Camrys. #3779

650xpx replies that 95% of those who have problems have them because they're abused their transmissions. #3799

Imidazol97 responds that that is not true. I respond to 650xpx's statement that "seeking that last ounce of gas mileage or emissions created shift schedules and torque converter clutch strategies that were not successful for all drivers in the real world." (which is an understatement!) that it's not just the software. It's under=engineering of the transmission. #3807

650xpx responds that he's seen two trannies torn up at 700 miles (underengineered for motor size sounds like the problem) and that is all proof that 95% of problems are customer-caused problems. And you in a very smart manner suggest everyone send me their PROMS for programming. #3813

As for programming, that's Toyota's job. The transmissions appear to be insufficiently built to handle the shifts from a safety standpoint (wwest). I probably have been programming a lot longer than you have. I probably tore down auto motors long before you did. So I suggest you have your employer do their job. You mentioned training so tell them when you're back for training. It's Toyota's job.

A Toyota salesman in another discussion stated that the problem has been fixed for a long time and it was all software. If that were the case then the TSBs would be fixing everyone's computer when they reflash the ROM. That's not working by reports here on Edmunds.

650xpx says: "Oh make sure you put a little automotive knowledge and experience in the box he will need it." for imidazol97. Does Toyota offer some of those school courses on politeness for their mechanics?

Imidazol97 I have a few questions for you and out of respect will try to ask them a nicley as possiably.

1.I was wondering how many newer camry or avalon transaxles you have driven,diagnosed,removed,then torn down for inspection and found a internal problem or under engineering of the transmission.

2. I have never wrighten a program for a automobile. I was wondering if you have ever wrighten a program for a asian automobile lets say from the years 2004 to 2007 due to these years are the ones we are talking about.

3.You most likley have torn down a motor before I did. I have been a professional tech for 16 years. But I would most likley think that I have torn down many more motors for many different problems them you have. We also have to rebuild the engines when ever possiable. With the least amount of parts possiable. Anyone can tear one down. It's the reason you tear it down and how it runs when it gose back tegether. I have done about 400 or so how many have you done? For this question any year make or model can count.

4.What kind of car do you drive ?

5.What do you do for work?

6.I have just one more. I was woundering how many automatic transaxles and transmissions you have rebuilt. I have probley done a 150 or so. For this question any year make or model can count.

Thanks very much respond when you can.
    I dunno, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the (Toyota) kitchen, to paraphrase one of our better presidents. At least 650spx brings a different point of view here, one from the service side of the business, which we don't hear about too often.

I know you like your big Buicks; I like my Camrys. No hesitation, harsh downshifts, squeaks, or rattles, thank you very much. Nothing but oil changes, tire rotations, filter and fluid changes for both (46K on one, 21K on the other). One recall on the older car (no problem found), and no warranty work at all.

Oh yeah, one set of tires on the older one, plus a nasty hit-and-run in L.A. that cost me a $1,000 collision deductible. But we were still able to drive the car back across the country to get it fixed right by a local body shop.
    My first engine/motor teardown was a John Deere tractor with rawhide oil rings in about 1953. My first programming effort was with a Data General Nova and a 33ASR teletype in late 1969.
    > I like my Camrys. No hesitation, harsh downshifts, squeaks, or rattles, thank you very much.

Same here. I thought about that downshift lag today when we went downtown for lunch and I squeaked into a merge ahead instead of behind someone by hitting it and knowing I'd get a quick 2nd gear.

As for the info it doesn't match the imput data that people have been showing up with. Wwest had it diagnosed early in one of the groups here on Edmunds as lag in the ability to supply enough fluid to downshift while aborting an upshift. I believe it was he who mentioned that some other transmissions have variable capacity in the pump systems for just that problem.

You can place however much credibility as you want but when someone says 95% of the people reporting lag and flare caused it themselves by abusing their transmission, that doesn't make sense as Judge Judy would say.

As for the rattles and squeaks my cars have none and one's at 150K. Pretty good for a 98. As for a car for my kid who gets a driver's license in November, I'd pick up a used Camry if I came across one but it would be before the current and the previous design. In fact the 98s are an aethetically pleasing car overall. When I ask people parked next to me how they like their cars, that era always gets a rave review.

Well, as you know, I had a '97 and loved it, and had it for 7 years and 111K miles.

I'd still recommend the next generation, which I have now, because you can get side curtain airbags to protect the head. That's why we gave our son the '04 we bought for ourselves originally, and then bought a new '05. (Now we have both back; he's now in NYC where a car is a liability.)

Only problem is finding used Camrys with side airbags is going to be hard. We tried and failed when he needed a car (and looked for other makes as well).
    I never said this

95% of the people reporting lag and flare caused it themselves by abusing their transmission, that doesn't make sense as Judge Judy would say.

what I said was

The trans it self is not the problem. 95% of the ones I see fail is from customer abuse.

Then the host made it crystal clear what I was saying

I think what he's saying is that it's not the transmissions that fail, it's the software that fails and that if a transmission physically fails, 95% of the time it's from abuse.

You realy need to get your facts stright.

I would still like you to answer my questions. I am sure all the board members would like to see your answers.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Please reread the exchange. What 650spx is saying is that when there is a physical transmission failure, 95% of the ones he has seen have been caused by physical abuse. He is saying that nearly all of the "failures" reported here are software-related. He's not saying what you keep saying that he's saying. Or something like that. :)

He's the tech; he's reporting what he's seen. Give it a rest, please.
  • mwhitworthmwhitworth Member Posts: 14
    If these transmissions are so good on Camry's, they should hold up better from a little abuse. I have had GM cars with no transmission problems. I currently have an 03 Grand AM GT that I probably readline everytime it gets driven. Besides it was an AVIS rental before I bought it and no telling what it went through before I bought it. It now has about 40,000 miles and I dont drive it lightly either and never any transmission issues. I dont think any one car is superior to another, they ALL have issues.
    Pat, you might want to look at some recent posts in the '05 Avalon Transmission Problems forum.

Inappropriate transmission behavior in the Avalon at least is evidently far from all software. It's both HW and SW, and in the case of the TSB cited, it's not the Transmission. Go figure!