Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Frontier Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I recently purchased a 2001 Nissan Frontier (my first truck). Yesterday (and every day before) the tailgate worked fine, but today it wouldn't open. I took off the back panel and the problem is not with the handle, but with the latch not returning to the proper position.

Example: when I pull the handle the tailgate opens, but then the mechanism inside does not return to its proper place so, the next time I pull the latch, the mechanism is not in place for the latch to press down on, and so release the gate.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? It seems relatively simple, but I can't figure it out.
  • asaasa Posts: 359
    When you peer at the mechanism, do you see where a return spring might have fallen out or is hanging from one end? I've never dismantled one of these, but I'd imagine a spring is used to pull the latch back into position.
  • okrafeetokrafeet Posts: 14
    Hey folks,

The speedometer in my '98 Frontier is not working. It would register for awhile and show 45 mph when I was driving 60 mph. Now it's just sitting there dead. Check engine light is on as well. I just put a new transmission in, used but only 70,000 miles but the speedometer was acting up before the transmission was installed. Radio, lights...all other electronics working. Any thoughts?
  • yader84yader84 Posts: 2
    Hi everyone.

The tailgate handle on my 2003 frontier XE broke today :( Not a biggie right? Should be easy enough to fix. Well, it is easy to fix if you can find the part! I have searched everywhere. I can find the handle for anything 2000 and older as well as 2004 and newer. It's like the middle 3 years are just gone! Have any ideas? It's just a stupid piece of plastic.

Thanks all!
  • reid1083reid1083 Posts: 8
    Just curious if anyone else has issues with their paint chipping. I have spoken with Nissan and they say not enough people have complained to do a recall so I was just curious how many other people are having the same problem I am. My paint is chipping almost all the way down the right side of my vehicle. It is down to the primer. I have owned many vehicles and this is the first one where the paint has chipped.
  • badfireguybadfireguy Posts: 10
    I have owned several Frontiers and have never had a problem with paint, even platinum. I don't know where you live, but salt water or even salt on the roads can kill paint. I believe that your case is not the norm, Nissan here in Texas is great about helping customers with problems. What color is your truck? Have you been using a particular wax? Any background could help.
  • mdawg25mdawg25 Posts: 23
    Hello everyone
    I am looking to buy an 06 SE V6 2wd. I could go either way on the tranny, but I think I would like the 6 spd because of the mileage. Anyway, what are the first things that usually go on this truck and what should I look for when I go to buy as far as common problems?
    Thanks
  • driver56driver56 Posts: 408
    No chipping at all on my 07 Fronty 4x4. And I've driven on more than a few rough roads.
  • arny1arny1 Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 2001. I had to go to the dealer for a replacement part. Sorry!
  • Yader84 -
    Did you ever track down a 2003 Frontier tailgate handle? I'm in the same situation - finding the same pre 2000, post 2004 model search results...no luck on the 2003 year. A local Nissan dealer wanted $66 for the 2003 handle, but earlier handle models online were $12-16 (??) What did you find?

Thanks.
  • Hi. Here's what I found out. They don't sell just the handle. Instead what you get is the entire back plastic with all the mechanics and the handle. Stupid I know. $66 sounds about right. I ordered mine myself from a Nissan supplier out of Auburn or Seattle, WA. Ran about $50.

A word of warning getting that back plastic off, it's not fun. There are a ton of little plastic clip back there to get off and you can't really do it unless you take the entire tailgate apart because of how much room you have to maneuver. Once they're off the back plastic comes off easily. What I did instead of taking the tailgate apart was I got a lighter with a long stem and melted them off/pulled them off. Worked great. I didn't replace them either, there are 2 or 3 bolts/screws that will keep the piece in place just fine.

Hope this helps.
  • Thanks for the information yader84, much appreciated!!
  • eroc1eroc1 Posts: 4
    2002 Frontier 3.3L v-6 desert runner--HISTORY=2 sensors activated: camshaft position sensor, and the knock sensor. Cps tested bad-replaced distributor,(cps is integral part of distributor), cap, and rotor. Ran well for a while and tripped codes again. The symptoms are OCCASSIONAL missing similar to fouled plug or bad wire. Changed plugs and wires--same deal. Cleaned ground point shared by both sensors, turned codes off--so far so good, but I'm expecting the same. HELP??
  • vtdogvtdog Posts: 163
    Summary
    NISSAN IS RECALLING 242,720 MY 2005-2009 PATHFINDER, FRONTIER AND XTERRA VEHICLES ORIGINALLY SOLD IN OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN THE STATES OF CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT, WEST VIRGINIA, WISCONSIN, AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA. IN THOSE AREAS OF THE COUNTRY WHICH USE HEAVY CONCENTRATIONS OF ROAD SALT IN THE WINTER, A MIXTURE OF SNOW/WATER AND SALT CAN ENTER INTO THE FRONT CRASH ZONE SENSOR (CZS) HOUSING. IF THIS OCCURS, THE CZS MAY INTERNALLY RUST RESULTING IN A SIGNAL INTERRUPTION. IF THIS HAPPENS, THE RED AIR BAG WARNING LIGHT WILL ILLUMINATE TO ALERT THE VEHICLE OPERATOR.

Consequences
    THIS ISSUE COULD RESULT IN THE NON-DEPLOYMENT OF THE DRIVER AND PASSENGER FRONT AIR BAGS IN A CRASH, INCREASING THE RISK OF PERSONAL INJURY.

Remedy
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FRONT CZS WITH A REDESIGNED SENSOR. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE FOR THIS CAMPAIGN. OWNERS IN THE OTHER STATES WILL RECEIVE EXTENDED WARRANTY COVERAGE FOR THE SENSOR TO 10 YEARS. THESE OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED OF THE WARRANTY EXTENSION BY MAIL AND WILL RECEIVE A STICKER TO PLACE IN THEIR WARRANTY BOOKLET EXPLAINING THE EXTENDED WARRANTY COVERAGE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261.

Notes
    CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV
    I posted message #44-about knock sensor on 2002 Frontier and failed to print out the gracious reply!!!--I assumed it would remain present. His name was Kris and it was very helpful. How can I retrieve it -please help?--eroc
  • bdl1bdl1 Posts: 1
    I took the belt tension /idler pulley off but some of the parts fell and I cant seem to get it back together correctly. My first attempt was too close to the pulley bracket. I also think i am missing a washer somewhere. Does anyone have a good picture of the pulley assembly(pulley,bushing,beveled spacer or washer,adjusting bolt)?
    Thanks
  • cos6cos6 Posts: 1
    Does a 2003 frontier 3.3 sc have a timing chain or belt.
  • sd296sd296 Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Frontier Crewcab and need someone to please tell me where the cabin air filter is located so I can change it.

Thanks for your assistance. Scott
  • jgs15jgs15 Posts: 4
    I have a '02 Frontier desertrunner kingcab. The bed shakes bad on uneven roads. I had the propeller, u-joints, and carrier bearing checked already and was told everything was ok. A mechanic said that this was common with frontiers. Is that true?

And has someone been able to solve the problem or at least minimize the shaking/vibration? I'd appreciate any info or suggestions.

Thanks.
  • cwo4cwo4 Posts: 90
    You may not have one. It is standard on Frontier LE and Pro-4X Off-Road but is an option on the rest. I have an 09 SE and the cabin filter was not on the list of equipment on the window sticker and when I hit 15K miles and had the air filter changed, my Nissan Tech told me I didn't have the Cabin Filter option on my truck.

Maybe you don't either.
    I'm uncertain about the '01s, but in my '06 SE (which *does* have a cabin filter), it's accessed via a glove compartment (the 2nd Gens have two glove compartments). Your '01 owner's manual should outline how to work the replacement if indeed you have a filter. Good luck in your search.
  • beaulacbeaulac Posts: 1
    I am looking to purchace a 2009 nissan frontier they recommend premium gas but can I use regular without damaging the truck and voiding warranty it plays a big part in my decision with gas going up
    Yes, many owners use 87 Octane with no problems. Nissan has actually changed up the verbiage on the owner's manual. In the '05 and '06 manuals it reads that 87 Octane is fine, but they changed it to the verbiage you read in '07 (I think) despite there being no changes whatsoever to the engine or fuel system.

I sometimes get a wee bit of random, very light pinging at about 35 MPG under a light throttle running 87 Octane especially when I buy the occasional tank of no-name gas. It's light enough and brief enough that you cannot hear it unless the windows are down. I never hear pinging at any other time.

Good question you ask. Some people don't care about the extra cost of premium fuel, but I do. I am amazed at the number of modern vehicles in the U.S. that require it these days.
  • bill7878bill7878 Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 4x4 SE , Every now and then my speedometer,tach,gas and temp guages will stop working for abit. I've read someplace that there is a sensor that goes to my tranny case for the speedometer and that most of my other guages are dependant on that particular sensor. IE if that sensor isn't working others will also not work. So far i've seen 2 similar wires and what looks to be 2 sensors going to the case. Im not sure which it would be and how to tell if its bad. Anyone else try fixing this problem or find it was something else. It doesnt effect me in any big way but if i can fix it i'd like to. When the problem does occur it seems to be completely random. I passed inspection with no issues at all. If the problem isn't occuring a computer doesn't pick it up.
  • My engine rattles on cold starts with only 35,000 miles and I know someone else that has the same problem. It sounds like heavy metal to me.

Has anyone else had this problem.
  • bob268bob268 Posts: 1
    Looking for help on installing a new Driver side outside mirrow, how to do and any pictures would help, or drawings.

TKS
  • onoffroadonoffroad Posts: 17
    My manuel and everything I read now , says regular gas ! Use 87 oct. ! My 09 CC 4wd SE auto runs great and gets great mpg !
  • On my 98 Nissan Frontier, the door lock on passenger side has stopped unlocking with key. I took panel off but don't see any obvious problem. Would appreciate any advice on what the problem could be or how to fix. I have oiled key lock from outside.
  • On 05 crew cab,SE. seems the fan wont stop spinning in cold weather. thought it was the fan clutch so I replaced it (twice just in case the first was bad). Is sounds like a trailer truck upon acceleration. Has anyone had this issue?