Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Frontier Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I'm going out on a limb here, but the first two things that come to my mind are:
    1. check the connection from the wiring harness to the main instrument cluster. I have seen the ribbon wiring wear and lose connectivity.

2. Would you happen to have an aftermarket stereo installed in the dash? I hate to think that an installer would use the first power wire that they came across, but........I think you know where this is going.
    Any nick in the insulation of the wiring can and will cause a short anytime that it touches metal.

However, I happen to have the entire wiring diagram for my 2004 desert runner that I bought online. It is extremely accurate, and I would be happy to email it to you if you like. I really think that you are going to need a good multi meter and a lot of time to find the problem. Let me know if you would like the electrical schematics, I will be happy to send them to you free of charge.
  • Instrument panel guages are not registering. Once in a while they will work correctly but it's just for a few minutes then the needles begin jumping around again. Everything else is working properly (i.e. lights, heater, radio, etc.)
    I would appreciate suggestions for troubleshooting or perhaps a wiring guide. Anything that might help is appreciated.
    Thanks
  • tobyjtobyj Posts: 1
    Hello!
    Recently, my 4 x 4 frontier electrics went wonky. The fuse for the dome and interior lights kept blowing, and now the Door Open sign is on ALL the time. The inside lights still don't work. I am woried that at some point, all my electrics will short out. Any ideas, anyone? Thanks
    Toby
    surtoby@gmail.com
  • My 2001 crew cab 4x4 just WILL NOT keep a front end alignment. It might stay aligned for two days but after switching to then from 4x4 it goes awry again.

I assume it's the alignment: there is a persistent shimmy in the steering wheel between 35 & 55 mph.

Anyone know of chronic probs on 01 Frontier w/ front end? What else can I check?
    TIA,
    Thad
  • Thad, the first thing that I would look at would be the torsion bars. If you bend one of them the front end will be very difficult to keep in alignment and could definitely cause the wheel to vibrate. Does it pull to either side if you let go of the wheel?
  • My 06' and 07' frontier do the same thing! My friend is a former ford mechanic he says that is is common for them to do diagnostics on themselves.
    By the way mine does it daily after I turn the key off-- just sit in it for a couple of minutes after you turn it off you will see what I mean!
  • This is common since the 1998 model year (unreliable electronics) in instrument clusters. Don't buy used, expensive with same problems waiting. Call Mr. Wizard or search online, their tel. #1-888-803-8523. Cost @ $199.00 for repair of YOUR cluster assembly. YOU must remove and ship to them for repair. They will provide you with prepaid UPS label for shipping (as they are a canadian co.). Some people say you can drive the truck w/o instruments while it is out for repair, I don't know if this is wise, it's a personal choice.
  • My 98 Frontier truck-auto. 2wd. Keeps dying when I drive it just a short ways. It does it especially when stopped at light and does not seem to like hills. It just stops when driving! I have had many parts replaced to no avail! I am out of money and this truck is my only way to make an income! Thanks in advance!
  • csprafcspraf Posts: 6
    What month is the model year change for the frontier ?
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Usually June/July timeframe. There is no set time and it varies depending on inventory and many other factors.
  • I recently purchased a 2001 Nissan Frontier (my first truck). Yesterday (and every day before) the tailgate worked fine, but today it wouldn't open. I took off the back panel and the problem is not with the handle, but with the latch not returning to the proper position.

Example: when I pull the handle the tailgate opens, but then the mechanism inside does not return to its proper place so, the next time I pull the latch, the mechanism is not in place for the latch to press down on, and so release the gate.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? It seems relatively simple, but I can't figure it out.
  • asaasa Posts: 359
    When you peer at the mechanism, do you see where a return spring might have fallen out or is hanging from one end? I've never dismantled one of these, but I'd imagine a spring is used to pull the latch back into position.
  • okrafeetokrafeet Posts: 14
    Hey folks,

The speedometer in my '98 Frontier is not working. It would register for awhile and show 45 mph when I was driving 60 mph. Now it's just sitting there dead. Check engine light is on as well. I just put a new transmission in, used but only 70,000 miles but the speedometer was acting up before the transmission was installed. Radio, lights...all other electronics working. Any thoughts?
  • yader84yader84 Posts: 2
    Hi everyone.

The tailgate handle on my 2003 frontier XE broke today :( Not a biggie right? Should be easy enough to fix. Well, it is easy to fix if you can find the part! I have searched everywhere. I can find the handle for anything 2000 and older as well as 2004 and newer. It's like the middle 3 years are just gone! Have any ideas? It's just a stupid piece of plastic.

Thanks all!
  • reid1083reid1083 Posts: 8
    Just curious if anyone else has issues with their paint chipping. I have spoken with Nissan and they say not enough people have complained to do a recall so I was just curious how many other people are having the same problem I am. My paint is chipping almost all the way down the right side of my vehicle. It is down to the primer. I have owned many vehicles and this is the first one where the paint has chipped.
  • badfireguybadfireguy Posts: 10
    I have owned several Frontiers and have never had a problem with paint, even platinum. I don't know where you live, but salt water or even salt on the roads can kill paint. I believe that your case is not the norm, Nissan here in Texas is great about helping customers with problems. What color is your truck? Have you been using a particular wax? Any background could help.
  • mdawg25mdawg25 Posts: 23
    Hello everyone
    I am looking to buy an 06 SE V6 2wd. I could go either way on the tranny, but I think I would like the 6 spd because of the mileage. Anyway, what are the first things that usually go on this truck and what should I look for when I go to buy as far as common problems?
    Thanks
  • driver56driver56 Posts: 408
    No chipping at all on my 07 Fronty 4x4. And I've driven on more than a few rough roads.
  • arny1arny1 Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 2001. I had to go to the dealer for a replacement part. Sorry!
  • Yader84 -
    Did you ever track down a 2003 Frontier tailgate handle? I'm in the same situation - finding the same pre 2000, post 2004 model search results...no luck on the 2003 year. A local Nissan dealer wanted $66 for the 2003 handle, but earlier handle models online were $12-16 (??) What did you find?

Thanks.