Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon Quality Control Issues

2»

Comments

• bobwileybobwiley Posts: 241
    nimimi: Go to Wal Mart and buy RainX Glass Cleaner-----the BEST stuff I ever used--BTW--keep it away from the wife or you'll be the one "doing the windows!!" It should be with the rest of the RainX products.
    Bob
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    I thought it was only me. My windows do the same exact thing. It must be something specific to the Avalon. A friend at the office has an '06 Highlander and doesn't have the problem.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• nimiminimimi Posts: 249
    Nope. EVERY car has this problem when new. If your friend with the Highlander says he doesn't have it, either he can't see or he smokes and that film covers the out-gassing film.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Outgassing and the resulting haze is also highly dependent on where your car spends most of its time. If it sits in the hot sun, you will see a lot more film than the same car that sits in the shade or in a garage. Heat liberates much more of the plasticizers (in soft vinyl interior parts mostly) that then deposit on your windshield.

Cars in warmer climates or in the summertime in cooler climates are going to be worse as well.

Some cars are worse than others, probably dependent on the quantity, composition and location of the interior plastics. And, this phenomenon can continue to occur for many years, not just the first few months.

This is one downside of all those "soft touch" interior plastics many people go so gaga over.
    His is garaged and mine is not. That is probably why I notice it much more between cleanings than he does.

• finfin atlantaPosts: 588
    Add my '07 Limited to the "outgas film" group. Wondered what it was, never had this before in a new car, including both prior generation Avalons. It didn't happen until the heat of the GA summer hit the 90's. It will reappear in a day or so after cleaning even though the car is garaged every night. Both front and rear glass show the film. Thanks for the explanation.

As we all know.... nothing is perfect. Still a great car for the money.
  • datastream7datastream7 Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    I bought used XL 2006 Avalon with about 80K miles on it.
    1. Front and rear windows both have this ougassing film on it. I will complain directly to Toyota about it, because no way I want to keep breathing this plastic ougassing into my lungs. The views are not entirely clear. I owned 1992 Camry and I was very very happy with it, although it did not have leather seats salon never outgassed and never smelled of plastic.
    2. Window wipers make screeching noise.
    3. There is rust on the wheels that really shouldn't be present on newer car, specially the one driven in CA.
    4. Acceleration is no where near as smooth it was in my 1992 Camry. Car jolts.
    5. On certain conditions when I press the brakes speed doesn't go down, but the car slows down. There is a delay between displayed and actual speed.
    6. The dealer did not mention oil leak recall at all! I found it out after the purchase.

Most of all I am in a deep shock, of how quality went down compared to older Toyotas. Overall feeling is like I am driving a capricious computer, instead of mechanically perfect car.
  • lntlnt Posts: 189
    One year and 3 months ago I parked and killed the engine in my car while I waited in the carline for my granddaughter at school. I was listening to the radio. When she got in the car, I tried to start it up and nothing happened. I assumed it was a dead battery. This is an 05 Avalon(with 35,000 miles) and this all happened December of 08. I got one of the teachers to jump start me, drove home and had my husand go to the dealer and get a new battery. He installed it and all wasy fine -- until today, March 1st, 2010. Same exact situation only this time after being jump started, I went to the dealer to make them exchange the battery. They checked it and said it was fine - plenty of juice and sent me home. So now, I am afraid to go anywhere without a set of jumper cables in my trunk. After reading the "battery" forums, I thought maybe it could be the starter or something because it did make kind of a clicking sound when I pushed the button to start it. Lights were on - radio okay - everything else was working. Anyone have any ideas? Toyota service manager said situation would have to be duplicated before they could find problem. I just don't want to get stranded with grandkids in my car!
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 588
    Avalons, like some other cars, tend to generate a lot of corrosion around the battery terminals. There are many reasons for this but the point is that the corrosion blocks the battery current from reaching the starter. Everything else will work.... but the car will not start. If you clean the battery posts and the inside of both the cable clamps then reconnect the battery, the car should start if the dealer is correct and the battery is OK.

This is a simple, and likely, solution. It is also possible the battery cable is failing, or damaged somehow, or that the starter has problems. But go with this for now and see what happens. Post your results, others will have more ideas... :)
    If the car was fine after jump starting to me everything is fine. The alternator did its job and charged the battery while driving to the dealer. The OP mentioned listening to the radio with the car off. The Avalon (and many other newer cars) have very powerful radios, big NAV screens etc. You just can't play the radio, etc for very long without draining the battery.

When I had my 06 Avalon XLS (without NAV), I was washing it one afternoon and the radio was cranked up for a good hour, maybe more. Upon finishing I went to start it and it was slow to crank over. Let it run for 10 mins to charge the battery and all was fine.

My husband checked the cables, posts and all that stuff. He is a pretty handyman with a car. He thinks it could be something with the starter, too. Dealer supposedly also checked it all out too. I found out my extended warranty is good until 2012, so I'll just put jumper cables in my trunk and try to live with it. Maybe it won't happen for another year. Next year I'll just remember to park in the parking lot at school and not in the car line.
    The service manager didn't think the radio would do it. I pick my granddaughter up 3 days a week playing the radio every time without a problem, but maybe you're right. I'll start turning everything off and see what happens. If it happens again next year, I'll know that wasn't the problem. Ha. Ha.
  • cthelitecthelite Posts: 4
    edited April 2013
    2006 Toyota Avalon XLS
    The first time the battery failed I was listening to the radio when radio quit. Car would not start, only a relay clicking when attempting to start. Got a boost everything OK. Went to Toyota dealer and they found everything OK. They suggested I need to do more hiway driving.
    The second failure came after parking in my garage and next morning battery was dead. Car was in park and keys removed. Took the car back to dealer again they found nothing wrong. I asked them to replace the battery which they did. All seems to be OK but I am wondering if it will fail again. Any thoughts or suggestions.
2»