Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Azera vs. Toyota Camry

2»

Comments

• ray_h1ray_h1 Posts: 1,134
    As a current owner of an '03 Sonata and several previous Hyundai products, I can assure you that when any Hyundai retains as high a percentage of its MSRP before rebates and discounts as the resale/trade-in value when compared with an equivalent size Toyota or Honda, it'll be a red letter day to be registered in history books. Enjoy your Azera, but expect some disappointment when you buy your next car. That great discount you got on your Azera was your compensation for the inevitable resale/trade-in hit.
  • wamba2000wamba2000 Posts: 146
    Ray, thanks for the note back. I know if advance that resale on Hyundai products isn't that of Toyota, etc. Since we will likely have this car for 10 years or more, it will all wash out in the end. Heck, we just got rid of an S-10 truck that was 20 years old and had stood up to having been driven by a teenager!

I still am convinced that the Azera had greater content for the dollar I spent than I could get in a Camry. Time will see if the resale value plummets or holds its own.
  • guru_gguru_g Posts: 52
    Though the Hyundai Azera comes with a long list of std. features not available in Camry, the TCO for a Hyundai Azera Limited is 0.62/mile while Camry XLE v6 is 0.56/mile. This includes the additional costs associated with the lack of warranty in Camry for the first 5 years of ownership. I am also familiar with the 2007 Camry woes (I read every one of the posts in that forum). Significantly, an Acura TL has a TCO of 0.62 as well. If I am going to spend 0.62/mile, I might as well get an Acura/Lexus and enjoy the best in line vehicles.
  • wamba2000wamba2000 Posts: 146
    guru, good luck with your Camry. TCO is not the only criteria I would look at in making a purchase. I don't know of any Lexus or Acrua large sedans that I can buy for <$25000 with same content as the Azera Limited.
  • guru_gguru_g Posts: 52
    Wamba, I agree that TCO is not the only criteria but it does provide a good assessment of costs associated with car ownership for the first 5 years. You cannot buy an Acura for <$25000, but 2006 3.2 acura TL can be had for around $29500 (check the acura: prices paid forum). The quality of the interior is better in the Acura TL than the Hyundai Azera (atleast IMHO). Additionally, Acura TL has a much lower depreciation value then Hyundai Azera currently. If you are looking to drive the car for its whole life (8-10yrs), Hyundais are a great value. If you are planning to own the car for 5-6 years or less, Hyundais are not the best monetary bet despite its lower initial cost. Just my $0.02.
  • 5539655396 Posts: 529
    My daughter had a 97 Camry. We did also until we bought an 03 Avalon. Son-in-law traded in problematic Dodge Ram for 06 Sonata for our daughter. I had read that the 06 was a big improvement, so I took it for a test drive. It has a firmer ride and not a bad car, but it just wasn't up to the refinement of the Toyotas. I can't fault the purchase due to the warranty though. They don't put on that many miles and will keep it for many years.

Although I have not driven the new Camry, I think I would buy that instead of the Avalon. I just like the size and looks better. Maybe the hybred.

Jerry
  • I know some of you don&#146;t really care about the resale value cuz you want to keep your car for 10 years or so…however, there&#146;re so many things can be happened like accident...etc.

Here is my experience, it has nothing to do w/ Azera v. Camry but I think it&#146;s worth to mention.

In late 2004, I bought a GMC Envoy cuz the dealer offered 10K off plus I had about 4K in my GM card. So, I think it was a nice deal 37K MSRP &#150; 10K &#150; 4K = 23K +TTL. Based on KBB trade in value for the same car but 2 years older was around 18-19K.

After a couple months and 2k miles, I don&#146;t like the car so I tried to trade in. I went to at least 5 dealers and none of them offered me more than 19K (KBB trade in was like 22K). So, if I don&#146;t have the 4K reward on my GM card, I would lose 8K on a 3 months olds car.

Finally, I got a dealer that gave me 21K cuz he known a person who wanted to purchase the car. I&#146;m glad I dump the car cuz even I keep until today, I will lose at least another 10K (for 2 years) base on KKB number. :sick:
  • gamlegedgamleged Posts: 442
    Moral is: don't buy unless you're positive you're going to keep the vehicle for at least three to four years, otherwise that huge drop in value as it "leaves the showroom floor" will truly bite you in the butt. When I buy a car (three cars, now, 2 Accords and one Azera in that 30 years), I plan to keep the car at least until its Blue Book value is less than its annual insurance cost!...
  • Moral is: don't buy unless you're positive you're going to keep the vehicle for at least three to four years

Even w/ 3-4 years, you still lose more money.

In the same year, I traded in a '03 Altima (a little over 2 years old w/ 20K miles) for a new '05 Altima w/ same options...paid only $3800 + TTL. Now, you know what I mean. :)
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Posts: 1,190
    RE: 45
    A three year trade in for a Hyundai Azera would probably be a killer. Only time will tell.
2»
This discussion has been closed.