Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TSX vs Honda Accord vs Volkswagen Passat

canaanmancanaanman Posts: 21
I am considering all three of these vehicles and trying to make a final decision. I appreciate any comments and suggestions.

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Thanks for creating this! :)

I adjusted your title slightly - let's not limit the discussion itself to the Accord coupe and the Passat 2.0. Certainly we can work with you on those specific vehicles, but let's make the focus a little broader so it will benefit others as well.

And just for future reference - when you create a discussion, it's very important to categorize the vehicles you wish to discuss. That's what makes the discussion show up when people do searches with the Browse by Vehicle option on the left. I added them for you.

Anyway, thanks again! Good luck.
  • tdgtdg Posts: 6
    Canaanman,

I have decided to buy the TSX, though my considerations were with other vehicles. However, I can tell you why I did not consider the other two mentioned in your title.

First, I don't want a coupe. Two-door cars are not for me: the doors are heavier and longer, leaving you more prone to bumping cars in the narrower spots in parking garages.

Secondly, I find the styling and amenities much more sophisticated in the TSX than the Accord, and I am a much bigger fan of the 205 hp I4 engine than the 6 in the Accord.

As far as the Passat is concerned, I'm bored with the styling frankly. It doesn't have that sporty stance that I enjoy with the TSX. Anyway, I hope my thoughts lend some light to your decision-making process. I think more than anything your decision will come down to what 'kind' of car you want... a family-type sedan, reliable tried & true sorta sport car, or an entry-level luxury sedan. I think value rides with the Accord and TSX (which is based on the European Accord).
  • sapparosapparo Posts: 68
    Passat looks like a bloated puffer fish ready to burst. The other 2 are on the 10 best list many years counting. Nuf said about who's better quality. VW is in dire sraights in the US, Honda/Acura is rolling in cash and more innovative. TSX is more refined, edgier looking than Accord and has better warranty and ownership perks. And TSX is built 100% in Japan and has the best 4 cylinder in the world.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    Ever driven a new Passat?
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 843
    sapparo just knows!

Krzys
  • jthornerjthorner Posts: 2
    I looked carefully at the Passat, Volvo S60, Honda Accord and 2007 Toyota Camry before choosing my TSX. The Passat has lots of questionable features which seem prone to VW-like failures, such as the electric activated parking brake and high-tech keyless-key. Also, the VW navigation system was much clusier to use the the Acura's. The VW seats were also less comforable due to a strange protrusion at the front edge of the seat bottoms which my daughter found very uncomfortable.

The Passat with similar equipment was more expensive than the TSX, at least in terms of real-world pricing. Styling wise I like the TSX better, and as far as reliability goes, VW's recent track record is poor.

The Accord is a good second alternative, but lacks the handling finesse of the TSX.

John
  • canaanmancanaanman Posts: 21
    Thanks for your reply. I am finding that many who try both the VW and TSX choose the TSX. I agree with you, once you build up the VW to match the TSX, it is more expensive. I thought VW had worked out their electrical problems, but reading your post it must still be an issue. My wife doesn't like the Camry styling even though the reliability is there, but we haven't driven the hybrid yet. Forget the Volvo S60, way too expensive and too much Ford influence now. I have a Civic now, so I know the Honda brand. I plan to take a day and drive both the Accord Coupe V6 and then the TSX to make a choice.
  • Good luck with your test drives. I drove both and bought the Accord sedan with the 6-speed manual. The TSX has a taughter suspension, but the Accord V6 has quite an enormous power advantage. Factor in more rear-seat room (an important criteria in my case), a couple of thousand dollars in savings (it seems odd that the more powerful car with the larger engine is $2-3K less...you really pay for the Acura label, so it seems), and the fact that the nearest Acura dealer is two hours from my home (as opposed to the Honda dealer two miles away), and the decision really pretty much made itself.

I don't think there's a "wrong" choice between the TSX and the Accord V6. Two outstanding automobiles in my book. Which one is "better" is just a matter of personal preference. However, if you "prefer" superior handling feel (and it's all about the feel, as the two cars put up remarkably similar subjective handling numbers), expect to pay a premium for it. Yes, there's an extra year of warranty and a few electronic gizmos thrown in, and the TSX is a more "exclusive" ride, but it comes at a pretty steep price, especially given you lose 40 hp and 50 torque.

If economy is a factor, both manual transmission cars get the same projected EPA mileage. I figure it's likely the TSX could be "babied" up beyond the 30 mpg highway figure a lot easier than the Accord's six, but Car and Driver got 24 out of each car in their recent five-way comparison test (February 2006 issue).

This is a good decision to be facing, because you can't be wrong whatever you decide. :shades:
  • canaanmancanaanman Posts: 21
    Thank you econoboxjockey. I will bring your post with me when I test drive. I guess I am favoring the TSX even though it is more expensive just to get good performance and a four door car that doesn't look bland.
  • isnt the TSX built on the Civic Si frame?
    Or was that the Rsx?
    they're practically the same car, but I miss the RSX' with its nice head and taillights before they cut the cute little teardrops from the bottom of them.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    The TSX is it's own car I believe...it is also the European/Japanese Accord. On a sidenote, the RSX is going away...its sales have dropped noticeably with the intro of the lower priced-yet-equal performance Civic Si.

RIP RSX.
  • johnny420johnny420 Posts: 473
    The TSX is built on the same chassis as the USDM Accord and the TL. Different tuning obviously.
  • yah, its all about tuning.. =[
    I just assumed it was the same frame.
    Maybe not Civic Si
    but I saw a Civic, and I saw a TSX parked right next to eachother
    and they were so nearly identical in width and length and windshield rake, etc etc, that I just assumed they had the same frame
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,794
    Just to be anal retentive - it's based on the same platform. Unibodies don't have frames.
    :) Haha, call it "detail-oriented", and consider yourself proud. :D
  • But dont unibodies have a solid wrap around front end?

Maybe not, Im just confused now.
  • janljanl Posts: 3
    Would anybody suggest a preparation or an efficient way to clean aluminum wheels on my 2003 Accord EX V6 from the black brake dust? The typical detergent and/or soft brush scrubbing doesn't do much and even after extensive efforts these wheels look dirty...
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,794
    The brake dust may have etched the clear coat and won't come off easily.

Try getting some automotive clay and lubricant and try that.
  • johnny420johnny420 Posts: 473
    Agree. Detailers clay works great on stubborn wheels. Just make sure the wheels you use it on are clear coated. Use a piece of clay near the end of its useable life (useable life on paint, that is)...I wouldn't use a nice new piece.
  • hjchjc Posts: 9
    Ummm.. I'm sure you don't mean household detergent, right? lol
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I rinse my wheels with water, then liberally spray them with P21S or similar cleanser (Griots, Poorboys, etc.). I let the cleaner soak for about 3 minutes, then I use a wet brush and scrub the wheels clean. One final rinse with water and my wheels are clean.
  • janljanl Posts: 3
    On my '03 Accord V6 gear shifter panel iluminating light stopped working. Couldn't find any info on it in the user manual. How do I replace this bulb? Honda dealer where I service my car tells me to forget it since my dashboard shows the gear info, but I'd like to fix it and not for a price they quote me. Help.
    Janl
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    Washing your car and wheels frequently will prevent this from happening. Also keep in mind that now that you have used cleaners on the rim, make sure you put something that will repel and keep grime, water off them. The cleaners essentially have taken all of the layer of wax or repellent off the wheels. Even putting coat of wax on the wheels will help alot, then that way the brake dust will not stick. Think of your rim like the way of your cars paint. Try not to be abrasive, you will scratch or make them dull. Once clean, Wax or some kind of treatment, and then try not to physically touch them from then on, each touch potientially leaves marks on clear coat, just like the paint. Clay bar and waxes will help alot getting it off. Wash rims frequently.

Just some tips, Good Luck!!
  • sammya_mdsammya_md Posts: 69
    I am probably in the minority here, because I choose the passat 2.0T....the TSX does nothing for my stylish wise, and you can't get any go out of the engine till you get upto the VTEC. If you are going to pay that much for a car, I would rather go another grand or 2 more and get a MB 230...yes no fancy sunroof etc, but you get german engineering and a more fun car to drive

back to the passat 2.0t though....in a manual (who would want anything else), it is extremely quick..handles great and is unique....combine that with great incentives you cuold get now and a passat configured like a tsx feature wise would prob be cheaper..not to mention roomier and better on gas

the v6 accord while reliable is just bland styling wise not to mention way way too common for me
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    sammya_md,

You mentioned the Passat and Mercedes 230 as being desireable due to their German engineering . That's all well and good, but the reliability problems that VW and Mercedes owners have widely reported in the past several years must also be considered. Your VW may have been satisfactory so far. But the statistics speak very loudly and I choose to read them carefully and spend my money as wisely as I can. No German cars for me until they improve their quality and reliability.

You wrote "in a manual (who would want anything else)". Apparently, even though most of the vehicles that I've owned have been manuals, the statistics (There's that word again.) are clear. Only about 5% of US buyers want manual transmission automobiles.

Style is in the eyes of the beholder. But I find the looks of the Passat to be quite "bland".
    Style is in the eyes of the beholder. But I find the looks of the Passat to be quite "bland".

I'm actually with ya on that one blane. The previous Passat looked like a more expensive car than it actually was. The current one is the other way around.

And, "German Engineering" is all I need to hear to know that I don't want that car. I need to spend time IN my car, not looking at it on a rack at the shop. I haven't driven, MB, but I have driven VW and Audi, and there was less responsive handling than I expected in both of these car brands (The Audi was an A4). I'm going into a field of work in which I'll likely not make a lot of money for starters, and I don't need to spend all my dough on repairs, something my friend with the VW has done ($2,200 by 40k miles).
  • sammya_mdsammya_md Posts: 69
    I realize no one in the US wants a manual, or few people. I love them, but see why people don't want to fuss with them. I was joking saying who wouldn't want one.

People have bad experiences with all types of cars. I am just saying the difference in the ride between a camry and the passat I got were completely different. I went straight to the VW dealership afterwards.

We'll see how the reliability is for the new passat generation in a few years, but I will continue to enjoy my car.

That's the thing about cars, everyone has their own opinions. I'm attempting to share mine and the reasons for going VW
  • Help me please to make a decision. I am a normally conservative 55 year old man moving to the LA area and I want to buy a new car, for a very short commute to work and long exploration drives on weekends. I want a fun car, and I want to keep it for many years. I am not good at self maintenance at all. I will use dealer maintenance. I have read horror stories on this forum about VW maintenance and reliability. Still, I am considering a VW against an Acura.

I am down to a decision between an Acura TXS with Nav and a Passat 2.0 Turbo with Nav as my new car.

On paper, by my own criteria the Acura wins hands down: better reliability ratings, a little cheaper, built-in bluetooth, just as luxurious, I even like the slightly smaller size. Also, the Acura will need less maintenance, with oil change every 10,000 miles (vs 5000) and no tune up for 100,000 miles, and thus total cost of ownership will be lower for Acura.

On the side of the Passat, I come up with only 3 tangible positives to list: Parking Assist (which I like), a smaller turning circle and a slightly more responsive engine from a dead stop.

So why am I even still considering a Passat? I don't know. Help me cure my madness someone, please. For some reason I do like the Passat, but I can't define it (and thus I am afraid it will go away once I buy). Maybe it is the rebel in me, I have never chosen a car that "didn't make sense" before.

Stop me before its too late! Or else defend the Passat. Please, folks, comments please?

Ron Stephens
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    if you want praise for the passat you should post in that forum. I do not know anything about that car but I can write that I love my 06 Milano red/eb 6 spd with nav tsx, bought new 11/17/06. it has 33,000+miles, is very comfortable riding car with alot of goodies and gets great gas mileage. I do mostly highway driving.
  • Thank you nj2pa2nc. I am looking for feedback on both sides of the equation. Even though I like the Passat, I also like the Acura. I want to make a good decision. I hope to hear from lovers of both cars.

Ron