Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Outback/Legacy Buying Advice

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    05 was the last year for an MT5 GT wagon. :cry:

-juice
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 843
    05 was first and last year for an MT5 GT wagon.

There are rumors that Outback becomes wagon and Legacy sedan only.

Krzys
    For '08, right? 07s will still be around for a while.

-juice
    and they did not kill choice of wagon or sedan, yet.
    However it matches SoA policy of limiting the choices.
    I do not like it.

Krzys
  • I don't know about the argument that SOA is limiting choices. They just added four trim levels to Forester line up - CrossSport X-M/T, X-A/T, XT-M/T and XT-A/T. CrossSport XT-A/T comes with VDC and VTD. Mind you, this is a mid-year change.

May be Legacy wagons are really not selling well. Legacy is not marketed well in US at all. I only see ads for Forester , Outbacks and rarely Impreza.
  • mystromystro Posts: 64
    I agree, marketing and bottom line mentality,you rarely experience salesman directing customers towards the much better priced Legacy L Wagons which basically do *everything* the OB does for thousands less,the L Wagon is a screaming Value in the savvy subbieworld if ya want AWD without w/wo Leather and the GT Wagon, although not a bargain is a hell of alot more fun then most so-called lux..we all know that. :confuse:
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,674
    as is rumored...

I hope they offer an "Outback GT" (in addition to the Outback XT) that will merely be a Legacy GT wagon, but with an Outback grille.

If that happens, I really don't have a problem with the Legacy wagon disappearing. From a marketing standpoint it will be good as the only sedans will then be Legacys. Note that it is also rumored that the Outback sedan will also disappear.

Bob
    I'm sure the OBxt in all it's glory will remain the only turbo OB sitting 8 inches off the ground while the LegacyGTwagon a muscle flexing *ground effects* 5" and looks it.
    I dunno. I keep hearing rumors about the Legacy wagon disappearing...

Bob
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    I do too. Subaru would lose my potential future business if they axed the LGT wagon. While I like the OB, it's just not my cup of tea. An OB GT that's basically a LGT would be fine.

IMO, keeping the LGT wagon makes more sense than the OB Sedan.

Ken
    My sense is that by making all Legacys sedans, and all wagons Outbacks, more clearly focuses the role of each model, and clears up any confusion among car buyers. My guess is that if Subaru offered an Outback GT, it would sell better than a Legacy GT, simply because the Outback name is so closely associated with wagons.

I think that's the direction SOA is moving. Otherwise, why is there no spec.B wagon? It comes sedan-only, unlike in other markets.

It seems like SOA is just falling in line with most other carmakers. There's no Accord or Camry wagon—although there used to be one years back, but not any more. It seems like only the Saab, Volvo, BMW and MB continue to offer sedan and wagons sharing the same names.

Bob
    VW too.
    Passat is available as sedan and wagon with AWD to boot.

Krzys

PS And I thought that Subaru would like to be associated with Euro names than its brethren from Japan.
    Passat wagons only come in automatic. Just like the 06 and later Legacy wagons.

I guess there just isn't enough volume for them to be able to offer many choices.

-juice
    CR was not kind to VW on several issues with reliability being a major one also, the subie AWD system (if it's a priority) cannot be equaled.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I think the day of wagons w/MT are shortly coming to a close.

-mike
  • carteachcarteach Posts: 179
    I have a 1995 Legacy wagon with over 197,000 miles on it. I just sold my 2002 Saab and am not sure where to go from here.

When I had the Saab, I used my Subie for hauling things, chauffeuring the dog etc. At this age the car is far from beautiful; but it runs just fine.
    Question: Do I buy another wagon? I'm also considering an Acura and a pre-owned Lexus. If I thought my Legacy would last another 50,000 miles, I wouldn't hesitate to get a sedan. Outbacks don't exactly scream sexy!
    Well it could go another 50k, but you never know on something that old. It's a toss up. why not a legacy wagon?

-mike
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,504
    Outbacks don't exactly scream sexy!

No? Hmm. I think a vehicle's appeal has more to do with color and upkeep than anything else. The lines on a Legacy or an Outback are darn fine though compared to many of the other major nameplates. It does not scream "luxury," though, so maybe that is what you are seeking.

My question is to how much time does 50,000 equate if you have two vehicles? I tend to use my wagon for everything and all but expect any vehicle I have to make the grade for whatever my intended use on any given day.... within reason! That is why I am loathe to seriously consider a sedan - they just have more inherent limitations.

Unless there is a significant pricing margin or you are dead-set on a model that does not have a wagon version, I would go for the wagon for the versatility alone.
    Which Subaru AWD system cannot be equal as they offer 4 different ones?
    VW currently has 2 flavours.

Krzys
    You pretty much have:
    Automatics- clutch pack power shifting between front and rear
    Manuals- Viscous center diffy which strives for 50/50 power via a center lsd
    DCCD- Center diffy electronically controlled with variable power settings and center lock 50/50

-mike
  • aaykayaaykay Posts: 539
    Also, the VTD Autos with Clutch pack AND planetary center diffy.
    Yes forgot about the VTD.

I tell you the ABLS on my Armada combined with VDC is great on it. If I put it in RWD and turn off the VDC, the ABLS will let me spin both rear wheels :)

-mike
    Nissan even uses the VDC name, they must use the same supplier.

I bet the AWD system on the new G35 is identical to the one on the Legacy GT automatics (VTD/VDC).

-juice
    Too bad they don't sell a TSX wagon, since that model exists in Europe.

The RDX looks nice but it's a bit small. Toyota has the Matrix and the xB, but both are a bit dated. RAV4 maybe?

Drive a Forester Sports XT, a RAV4 V6, and the RDX. Maybe a CX7 for good measure.

All offer fun and utility.

-juice
  • cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    what happens if you put Legacy sized tires on an OB?? do you just ride a little lower or does it mess up ABS, VDC etc?
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    While I'm not sure the AWD system (planteary gearset and clutch pack) is the same, the LGT/OBXT/VDC automatics probably use the Jatco JR507E rear-wheel drive transmission for medium and large vehciles found on Nissan makes like the G35 and Z.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jatco_transmissions

Ken
    I've found a lot of mis-information in there...

But that is probable. The SVX had the same basic trans design as the pathfinder in the day.

-mike
    what happens if you put Legacy sized tires on an OB??

If you're mike (paisan), you win a trophy for an autocross competition. Seriously. That's exactly what he did.

They handle well with those tires. I'd just get a Legacy to begin with, though. They're lighter.

-juice
  • cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    but I want VDC in a wagon!
    Yes,on non-turbo 2.5's,no XT and no LLB just a plain OB or Legacy. Hell,Honda and Toy put it on almost everything same with Ford and Chevy.

Me thinks SOA is playing the subbie loyalty card to long and it'll bite them if it hasn't already. If VCD is not an option on all OB's and Leg in 08..big trouble at SOA.
This discussion has been closed.