Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Solara 2007

2»

Comments

• Mine's a 2006 and at around 25,000 miles I had to have my 2 front tires replaced (my fault, I somehow ripped the wall on one of them). Anyway, I got the best price from the dealer and of course had them balance and align the front when putting the new tires on. When I got the car back, the steering wheel was 'off center', so I brought it back--same thing, so I brought it back again and that time they seemed to get it straightened out!! I know what you mean though...drove me nuts too!
  • I have a new 2007 Solara Coupe. So far, the car seems to be excellent mechanically (I've only driven it 128 miles). But the first time I washed it, I noticed that there was "orange peel" in the paint at the bottom of the doors (approx. the bottom 3 inches). I suspect this was caused by the paint not covering this area sufficiently to smooth out when sprayed. There are also fine dust particles in the paint, but these are less noticeable.

Has anyone else noticed the orange peel problem on their car?
  • rmatrmat Posts: 12
    I have the '07 convertible--black so every blemish shows. No problems to date (almost 3 months)
  • Thanks for the reply. Perhaps my vehicle is "unique." I may have to just live with it because anything I ask the dealer to do to fix it will likely just make it worse.
  • I think if you check other similar cars you will find that this is a type of paint used to prevent damage from rocks and gravel. It is used on the lower few inches of the car usually found on body panels behind the wheels.
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Posts: 301
    It's simple,center the steering wheel and reset the toe.If they can't figure that out,try a regular shop that does alignments.
  • Thanks! You're right. The rocker panels and bottoms of the doors are sprayed with chip-resistant paint. So, it's not a flaw in the paint after all. :)
  • Love our SLE Conv, but since day one, car pulls to right. 4 weeks old now w/235 miles, the dealer says alignment is OK, but it still pulls to right. Now they have Master Mechanic on it who has replaced the shims, strut "tower" (after three tries with parts from Torrance HQ) and coil springs--and it still pulls. They have had car TWO WEEKS and never call with an update. I have to call, or stop by (since I get put on hold) to get info. I had to ask Marina del Rey Toyota, they didn't volunteer, for a rental--they gave us a HHR Black. When will we get out car back? I also have a 2006 Sequoia its perfect!
  • Two hours after posting the message here, we got a call. Car is ready--it was the coil springs--go figure. Returned rental--my wife is happy!
  • Now that you've had your car about 6 months, what do you think? What do you think of that dealer? (Look in your rear view mirror - I'm back there...thinking about buying a 2007 Solara in Sanford ;-) :shades:
    Sorry, I can't see you! However, I really like my Solara. The ONLY issue I have with it is the limited visibility at the left and right rear corners. But, I know this, and most convertibles have at least this much blocked visibility, or even more. The back seat is great for a convertible, as is the trunk. I have had "zero" problems or issues to date. As to my dealer, I haven't been back to them yet. The car is spending the winter in Florida, and I still haven't reached a required service mileage. I have a black with light tan top and leather, and everyone who sees it thinks it looks great (if kept clean and shiny.)
  • I have a 2007 Solara convertible SLE. I bought it on August 4th. I have had no problems to date. I have just over 2,000 miles on it and just had the first service performed. $25 for an oil change. The dealer even picks up your car for service.
  • mitsurobmitsurob Posts: 38
    I took a test drive in a solara the other day and was impressed with how quiet and smooth this car is. A friend told me he thinks the solara is more a "chick" car than for a guy? Any thoughts on that one?

Also, my local dealer never has more than 1 or 2 on the lot at any given time (either black or silver) and I would really like to see the cosmic blue color. Is this a limited production color or is Toyota just limiting overall production on the solara?

Has anyone heard if this is the last year for Solara or if Toyota will be revising to the new camry platform anytime soon?

Thanks!
  • rblelandrbleland Posts: 312
    My wife has had a '99 Solara, and she now has a '06 Solara SLE-V6 coupe in black. She loves them. Me, not so much but they are a good car, dependable, comfortable and powerful. I do think more females than males buy Solaras; but so what? I think the "chick car" stuff is BS spouted by insecure males.

There is talk the Solara will be discontinued in MY 2008 or 2009. It just does not sell in large enough numbers for Toyota. I doubt Toyota will revise the new Camry platform in the near term as it is only on its second MY.
    I'm a "senior male" and I love the car. I have it in black with a light tan interior and top. I got more compliments about this car than from the "luxury" cars I also own. (but you must keep black very clean) The red is also very sharp.I think they limit production as dealers I've been to have little or no inventory. Probably just a way of keeping the discounts low, at least on the deluxe model.
  • Hey - the Solara is a cool car for men and women! My ex-boyfriend bought the cosmic blue V6 convertible. I told him that when I bought my 1999 Acura CL 3.0 that I had it narrowed down between the Acura and the Solara. He loves the car. Since I've had so many problems with my car, I was considering the Blizzard White Solara, but I, too, heard that 2007 was the last year Toyota was making Solaras.
    Check out this website to see the Ace (yuk!):
    http://www.solaraguy.org/viewtopic.php?t=20972&start=0&sid=6ef4221d093f3f416e397- 445c90992a0

P.S. Get the car you want and don't worry what anyone else thinks! :-)
  • stevenh7stevenh7 Posts: 33
    I'm looking for a nice 2 door coupe in the low 20's and the Solara SE is perfect. Great looking car and fun to drive. Only have 1 question. Some background. In 2004, I bought a Volvo C70 coupe and hated the way it drove. I came to find out that the 2004 was still the same platform as the 1997 (when it debuted)so as you can imagine, alot of new technology was missing. I doubt the 2007 Solara is built on the 2007 Camry platform but has it been updated since its debut and if so when were the major updates made. It is hard to tell cause the car looks very similar to the original in design. Now all I have to do is choose between the Blizzard Pearl and the Titanium Silver. Love the Pearl but moving to a new home and will live with mud and dirt for several years so maybe the Silver will be ore practicable. Thanks.
  • saxman911saxman911 Posts: 9
    Hi,

I too was concerned about the visibility factor of parking but after 1 week with my new 2007 Solare SLE convertible black on black, it's no problem at all. Just turn around, back it in and watch your side mirrors. A real piece of cake to park even in tight spots.

My car is going in to service after one week to file a few complaints: steering wheel is not dead center when car is stright, (favors the right side) Car is slightly pulling to the right an straight on level roads, vibration in the front end at slow speeds is troublesome for me and driver side mirror has tarnishing along its mirror edges. (this should've seen a better polishing finish) and finally the passenger side clip to close the convertible top is impossible for me to close form the driver's seat. I have to close it from the front right passenger seat and it is still quite difficult. (the pin doesn't line up squarely) I've seen this in two of the same cars, the demo I drove and the one sold to me. Quality control here has been very careless when they released this vehicle after final inspection)

Get back!

Alan Russell
    My big complaint about visability is when backing out of a head-in angular space. When backing out I am totally blind as to oncoming traffic, whether I turn around, use the mirrros, or whatever! I have had NO car problems to date (10 months and 5K miles).
    Robert M
  • passatownerpassatowner Posts: 16
    I am interested in trading in my '02 Passat for either a Solara or Accord Coupe (w/beige cloth interior, woodgrain, moonroof). I've test-driven the 4 cyl Accord, which has a good amount of power. I haven't yet test driven the Solara (closest Toyota dealership doesn't have ANY). Does anyone have preferences between the two? With less horsepower than the 4cyl Accord, is the 4cyl Solara still pretty powerful? Also, with Solaras being discontinued, how would this affect negotiating ability, re-sale value and repair/maintenance costs (finding parts, etc)?
  • dkenwarddkenward Posts: 1
    I also have a problem with my 2007 Solara SLE pulling to the right. The first time I brought it in, the dealer said they corrected the toe-in. This did not fix it. The second time they had it they did something to the strut. Still not fixed. The third time they had the car for 2 days and ended up putting brand new Michelin Pilot's on instead the stock tires. Guess what ???? It still pulls to the right. Any ideas on how to get this matter solved? Also, has anyone had any problems with the outside temperature sensor? Mine seems to take hours to come up to the outside temperature after being garaged.
  • Reading these issues about the much-hyped (by the press) Toyota quality, makes me chuckle. So here is OUR problem with the Solara convertible. We have had the car for about a year and the paint on the hood is chipped terribly. Dealer says its' normal wear and tear. Hardly. Toyota 800 number in California told us to speak to our service manager. They are sticking to their story.... normal-wear-and-tear.

Has anyone else had this problem on the 2007 XLE?
  • agedp2agedp2 Posts: 1
    My new 2008 Solara SLE Convertible has outside temperature problems. It read between 77-82 regardless of the correct outside temps. They replaced the sensor, no luck, then they fooled around with "the pins", still no luck, allegedly Toyota told dealer they never heard of such a problem. Lately, they've cooled the temperature sensor to 55 degrees,(outside temp is around 80), and they've told me the new Toyotas, especially the Solara, take a longer time to warm up to the outside temperature, but no problems dropping down. I asked the svc manager to run the car over a few days,and I plan to pick it up tomorrow.(I get almost instantaneous correct temperature adjustments on my '99 Avalon, and '04 Mazda 3.)
    I've had my '07 for just over a year now and have had no paint problems whatsoever. Are you on highways where you are getting stones tossed from trucks ahead of you?
  • good engine and mileage, poor back visibility, shaky body (because it is a convertible!!)
  • Two small rubber pieces fell from top of auxiliary box in front of center console. Cannot determine how to fit them back on so door "snaps" open as is supposed to. Just kinda lays there now. Fortunately, if this is my biggest prob with this car, I'm doing OKAY!
  • cryoulcryoul Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    :sick: ">"I have a 2007 Toyota Solara 4-C SE 2-door Coupe which for over the past year has been burning tons of oil quickly I get an oil change and in less than 2K miles it's burned 3-4 quarts already. no dripping in driveway, no smoking or smell of oil burning, it just disappears and every 2K miles about I need to add 3-4 quarts. I took to Toyota Dealership for Diagnostic Eval. they kept over night, came back the next day they told me the entire Engine needed rebuilding and it would cost me $3-$4K dollars for a 2 week job. I said forget it and left. That sounds like BS to me, anyone have any idea where this oil is going and why? ALSO how do I fix it, without having to add 3-4 quarts more oil about every 2K miles??? I also lost about on average 10 MPG in gas MPG since this problem started. I get only about 20 MPG when I was getting 30+ over a year ago for same MPG but oil was not burning up like it is now. Any ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I hit 100K miles in 2K more miles on this 2007 Toy-Solara SE 4-C 2-door Coupe and no way am I investing anything even close to $3-$4K into a rebuilt engine , that is nuts. Please reply here-

BTW I get my Oil Sig. Oil Change done every 3 K-4-K miles now at Jiffy Lube since as long as you go in prior to sticker mileage for next oil change they have to give you a free 'Top-Off' Service so after every 1.5K.5K - 2.5K Miles I go in and they add 3-4 quarts of oil to an almost bone dry engine , all the oil has burned off by than or disappeared??
2»