Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Tiburon Clutch Problems

Comments

• richs3richs3 Posts: 20
    You are saying:
    "Hyundai says it is normal wear and tear so not covered under warranty."
    And:
    "Kottman Transmission dealt with the service rep for the company that makes the flywheel in the Tiburon and was told there is a problem with early failure on the fly wheel."

The interesting thing to me, is that there are two different statements, regarding the same problem. Apparently, the Hyundai dealership is telling you it is due to normal wear (bogus, i.e. b.s. and lying) while conversely a service Rep for the part being made is factually saying that the problem is with the fly wheel product itself.

This defect has been going on for sometime, it appears that Hyundai is turning a deaf ear to the matter, and it definitely subtracts any respect that I would otherwise have had for the company. I will not say anything good about Hyundai in future, but rather I will dissuade anyone I know of from buying Hyundai, and mention to them, this problem which they (business smarts = NOT) refused to resolve. Come on! They have 1 problem with one part for car, and can't fix it after 3 to 4 years of mention? They can add an entirely new "luxury" car to their line, but can't resolve a defect in the one and only 'sport line' assembly they already have?? Going forward with Hyundai . . . up the hill, and down the cliff. Again, 'Business Smarts' = Not, when they insult the intelligence of the customers they seek to allure with simple gloss and market exaggeration. That is how they encourage young or enthusiastic drivers? Also, all of their parts are overly expensive. Thank you for sharing what the flywheel rep said.
  • I also have a 2007 Tiburon and have went through 3 clutches in 30,000 miles. I like the car but the clutches are not covered under warranty. The car's starter went out at 17000 miles but that was covered under warranty, the clutch costs nearly $2000 to install at my local dealer in NJ. I would not recommend this car to anyone. I have owned 3 manual cars in the past and have never had a clutch go out on me so I do not think it is me.
  • 01tib01tib Posts: 1
    every one that needs a new clutch or flywheel and thing thay should be replaced under warrenty from the dealer. need to stop talking about the tiburons like there a piece of crap. just because something when rong with your car its pritty comin to have to replace car parts. thats why there are repair shops if you clutch go's at 40000 k maybe you should look at you driving instead of blaming the dealers for falter parts. my wife has a 01 tiburon and yes its needed work and right now needs a clutch at 170,000. but its all been problems from how people drive the car. the tiburon has a lot of power for a stoke car. people need to lern how to drive them better. if every one drove it like a normal person it wouldnt need to be fixed. the people that say that the clutch went in there car so thay sold it need to give there head a shake its a clutch it duz brake. just like a honda so in stead of saying all the bad things about your car maybe try sayings about your that broke because of the way you drive them.
  • richs3richs3 Posts: 20
    Maybe this and maybe that, but obviously so many people complaining about the same thing, and even a supplier for that car part admitting that there was a problem with it . . . I don't know that it's so good to so quickly invalidate so many people, and dismiss their credibility so enthusiastically. As for myself, I never had a manual, so I can't complain about what I did not experience. It's great to be affirmative for what works for us, and yet,perhaps different models, and even individual cars receive some variations in their supplies, or the quality of their assembly.
  • The 2001 Tiburon is a completely different car than the new generation. Perhaps you should research more before posting idiotic comments blindly in this message board.

Also, you might want to use spell check and avoid gangsta spellings of words like "duz" as it makes you sound like a complete moron.

Obviously there are serious issues with the new Tiburons.
  • I'm having the same issue with my Tib 2003 GT. And I had the car serviced at a deal, and their service personal tried to explain to me that the car need a new flywheel with the clutch replacement. The Flywheel, how does a solid steel go bad? And the Dealer wants to charge me 900.00 for the part. I could of bought a new flywheel and clutch for 500.00? I feel hyundai is making fool of as all.

one upset tib customer!
  • tib03tib03 Posts: 2
    My son bought a 03 with 56,000 miles on it. Had a 4 hour drive to get home, and did not make it. Had to replace flywheel, clutch, throw out bearing, and pressure plate. Cost $1811. He drove the car for one month before starting basic in the Navy. After basic he came and got his car at thanksgiving and drove home with it at christmas. The clutch quit again, and everything is shot again. Only 4400 miles on the clutch. It went out without warning, and alot of the miles were put on on the interstate. Does anyone know how well after market parts are working, as I do not want hyundai parts again? Has anyone gotten warranty?
  • I to hae a problem with my 2004 tiburon. the clutch keeps grabbing and i have to turn the car of if i want to go. I have had a mechanic look at it and he replaced the Hydraulics but the problem was still there. Hyundai have looked at it and have said nothing wrong but could be the mas flywheel. Cost to check and repair Aus $2600
    As i have been driving the same driving over the past 19 years with various cars, i said i have never had any clutch or gearbox problem. He just said wear and tear. I think in Australia the problem hasn't come to their notice yet. I am taking my car to a Hyundai
    spear parts man tonight to have a look at it. I love my car and cannot fault it up until now. I have 139000 k on the clock
    julie2
  • I posted on here a couple times about my '05 Tiburon V6 GT and having to replace the cluth/flywheel after 9K miles and then again in Oct after another 25K miles. Hyundai refused to do anything for me, saying it was my fault. I went through the Hyundai Customer service and after a month same results.
    A couple weeks later, still mad, I wrote the Better Business Bureau who responded VERY quickly. But I had to fill out about 5-6 pages of information and they wanted a bunch of other info. I figured it was too much time and work so forgot about it. In Dec, I decided what the heck, it's just 42cents postage and a bit of time. After filling it all out, making copies of my first bill, and then the copy of the second occurance with the paid bill from the transmission company I sent it all in. BTW I also included all the messages from this site that everyone is complaining about the same issue, and the info about the 2003 class action lawsuite regarding the same problem. I expected nothing to happen... however the BBB responded back very fast saying they were going to investigate. I had several dialogues with the BBB. The end result for the BBB was that Hyundai was refusing to do anything. BUT, the BBB advised me I still had 1 more alternative. They could arrange for a 3rd pary outside arbitrator to hear the case. I would have to appear in their offices presenting my side with all documentation. Hyundai would also have to appear and give why it was my fault and not theirs. I was not going to do it, but decided lets do it. BBB told me the date and said they were going to advise Hyundai that they would have to appear for the hearing. 1 hour later the BBB said I would not have to go, Hyundai was agreeing to reimburse me for the $1,800.

I don't know if it will work for you, but what the heck, it''s worth the try and you just might get your expenses reimbursed. Persistance paid off for me

BTW, the BBB will only step in if you still own the vehicle.

Good Luck
  • mrbrownmrbrown Posts: 1
    2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE clutch malfunctioning and failure. Poor quality and deformed parts used. Warranty classifies parts as "wear parts." I took my car in for its scheduled maintenance visit to Rick.Case. Hyundai in Roswell, GA. After 2 days I experienced acceleration issues and went back to R. C. Dealership. On duty Technician informed me the clutch was the source of the problem and it would cost me 2000.00+ USD. When I asked why I was told this was covered by warranty during the orignal sales processI received inconclusive answers. After a little internet research I discovered: a class action pending stemming from 03-04 Hyundai Tiburon's choice of clutch parts (fly wheel to be specific) and numerous post on Edmunds Car Space ( over 5 pages of enraged Hyundai Tiburon 03-07 owners') Hyundai refuses to acknowledge the faulty, deformed and defective parts that make up its clutch and continue charging hard working, honest people 2000.00 to fix a problem they know exists and will continue to fail. A message to anyone thinking about buying a HYUNDAI. 1 word.... DON"T !!!!!!!!!!
  • tib03tib03 Posts: 2
    Thank you for the heads up on the BBB. I will try it. My sons car is still standing by the repair shop. We just received a not covered reply from Hyundai a couple of weeks ago.
  • neukdaeneukdae Posts: 1
    I've got a 2001 Hyundai Tibby and I love it to death... I just made a little mistake, I let a friend drive my car and she burnt the clutch in 4 hours. That clutch lasted through me teaching 3 other people how to drive a stick and I never had any problems. This car is my baby, I've put over 127k on it myself and I just need to find out where I can get some info on how to change this clutch. If anyone can help me out that'd be awesome.
  • I wish my tib had lasted to 30,000 miles for the third clutch/flywheel. I just had it towed because the 3rd clutch/flywheel went out last night at 23,646 miles. :mad: Got the original replaced at 12,000 miles, the second at 19,000 and now the third....all for $2,020.00......unbelievable. I've had manual cars all my life and haven't had a clutch go since my MG Midget in 1976. Not only do I have clutch and flywheel problems my sensors are always having to be replaced. Seat belt, airbag, TPMS, engine....you name it the sensor has been replaced....sometimes twice. :lemon: These are under warranty but geeze I'm getting pretty sick of seeing the service guy. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • My advice to anyone who is having clutch and flywheel problems is to get rid of that LEMON!! :lemon: I posted a message in this forum just 11 months ago and I have to replace the damn thing again..My clutch did not even last one year..and again the price is going to be $2000+ to fix this piece of crap..I bought my Tiburon in December of 2006 and it is now September of 2008 and I have probably spent upwards of $6000 on maintenance and repairs for faulty parts and I have not even had the car for 2 years yet..

Not to mention my defective airbag and seatbelt sensors, this car is the epitome of a lemon and I regret the day I ever bought it..Hyundai USA is a horrible company and one day they are going to lose all credibility which is really a stupid business move.. :mad:

I am looking into just dumping this car and getting into something more reliable because I simply can not afford another HUGE problem. In the economy we are living in today, how in the world am I supposed to have enough money to get all of this fixed???? :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • STAY AWAY FROM THIS CAR. I just got told that my clutch is bad in my 03 hyundai tiburon for the third time in 45,000 miles. Of course Hyundai will not cover and will not return a phone call. Get rid of this car while it is running becuase the clutch will go out on you every year and cost you at least $1100 every time and that is only if you buy the parts and find a cheap mechanic. :mad:
  • I'm Farouq and a first time poster. Brand new to this site and can't believe all of these familiar stories that I've been reading. I am currently financing a 06 tiburon gs and have had so many different problems with this car. I traded in my fabalous but stead fast depreciating mercury milan for this financial black hole that we call a tiburon. Since I've had this poor excuse for a car: I've had the radio replaced under warrenty, the sun roof re-serviced multiply times, also under warrenty, and finally the clutch needed to be replaced 35000 miles into it's pathetic existence, however clutch wasn't covered under warrenty of course. As we've heard time and time again, it's considered a "wear item". When the problem first gained my attention, it was intermittent. Now and again I would notice a grinding feeling and noise when ever I would shift from 1st into 2nd or when ever I down shifted into 2nd. In addition, if I sat at a light for some time and idled in nuetral, I would have the worst time trying to engage 1st gear when ever it was time to take off. I told my self that the clutch was touchie. So I would rev up ever so slightly just to manage getting it into gear. I brought the car in immediately to the dealerships service department thinking that what ever the problem was the warrenty would cover it. However, during the first visit the problem was SO intermittent that they couldn't get the clutch to behave in the way that I had describe to them. I was told to bring it back in when the problem worsend. I'm 26 years old and I've had a permit at 15, a license at 16, and been pilot of a manual transmission vehical since 17. Still, to eliminate any possibility of "driver error" I tested the car with other even more experienced drivers. At first like I said before, the problem was come and go but, I was able to pin point a frame in which the clutch would act up more often. Which was any time that I or any one else would shift from1st to 2nd@ 5-6000 rpm, the grinding would occur almost every time. So I brought the car back into the dealership to explain my new discoveries in order to prevent from having to wait for the problem to worsen resulting in major parts having to be replaced which in turn would cause me to be down one of my two much needed automobiles. I was unsuccessful at my attempt to implement any preventive medicine regarding this matter and was once again sent away because they couldn't realize a problem therefore they couldn't fixed the problem. To make matters worse instead of words of encouragement and understanding I was sent away with " well these tiburons aren't designed for high speed shifting" After I tried to help THEM locate the problem.! I left still not knowing that when ever the problem did surface that it wouldn't be covered by warrenty. I continued driving the car easy as possible until finally the clutch got so bad that it ground every time that it was shift between the first three of my five fantastic gears. Also, I started experiencing slippage. When I got it in to gear any gear I noticed that when ever I would press the throttle the car would near immediately red line. This is a problem when the clutch is fully engaged. I live in Ocala Florida yet I work in Gainesville. Those of us who know, understand that it is a 45 minute drive once you hit the interstate. This happens when I'm half way home. So obviously those had to be the signs that our beloved Jenkins Hyundai of Ocala needed to see before they could fix the problem. I get the car into the shop early that next morning only to find out that : the entire clutch system needs to be replaced, which includes, disc assy-clutch, bearing-clutch re, cover assy-clutch, bolt-flywheel, it's not cover under warrenty it's considered to a wear item, the bill would be $1300, didn't have the parts on hand, it would be a week before they even received the parts needed, and last but not least to add insult to injury since it wasn't a warrenty issue there would be no loaner car offered. $1275.00 later ( because I brought the Car Care Coupons) I had a new factory clutch put in. Any thing done to that car was done by the factory in order to not void the warrenty that I still am under today. The work was completed back in 08-08-08. It's now 10-07-08 and once again I'm experiencing the beginning stages of this gargantuan disaster for the second time, Which brings me to this point obviously I can't dump the car now, it's not paid off, I'm already upside down from the previous trade in, it's not under my name, if I were to attempt to trade again I would have Gallardo payments driving in a used 02 Civic, what should I do? Second questioned is that those of us that have replaced their clutch more than once already, why did you come out the pocket for it? If when the first or any time you paid to get the clutch replaced, it then becomes guaranteed and falls under a temp warrenty for up to 12 months or 12000 miles which ever comes first. So if it went bad again with in that time table you should've been able to have it replace again for free right? At the very least that would have bought you some time to dump the car and pick up something else before you had to put any money into it again. I used to a die hard hyundai fan. I even looked foward to the 2010 rwd Genesis coup that will be replacing the tiburon line. I even had it as my screen saver. But now I'm so scared that I'm about to be screwd over that I hate hyundai with a passion. I'm a full time waiter working only part time hours. A husband, a father, and can't afford this [non-permissible content removed] right now. Please any advise is welcome.
  • So i just bought a 2004 GT and it has a little less then 50k miles on it and the clutch has already burned out. Guess the guy before me didn't really know how to drive it but i was wondering if anyone knew an affordable after market reliable clutch under $300 to put into the car. I also wanted to know if anyone knew the cost of installation of this part.
  • i posted a few days ago can anyone tell me a good clutch for an affordable price on my 04 GT?
  • Hi, I'm the guy who started this post a couple of years ago. have since got rid of my Hyundai. I replaced the Clutch and Flywheel with after market parts from a place called ClutchMasters. You should be able to google them for prices. The problem with the Tiburon's though is the Dual-Mast flywheel they started using in 2003. That is what is buring out your clutch.
  • o ya my 2007 clutch just went out. at 24,500. For a sum of 1600
  • i have a 2006 hyundai tiburaon, 23000 miles clutch went out, not under warranty, they wanted $2400 + so i found local garage and i bought cluch master and it cost $1600. it lasted for about a month. same thing clutch went out, clutch master is working with me but flywheel etc all need to be replaced, I just wonder what is causing this to happen, I replaced the dual-mas flywheel with a clutch master and same thing
  • I wish somebody would say what they did to get it working after it has blown more than one clutch. 6 cyclinder 5 speed, with 23,000 mile on it and I don't hiot rod it. I just think that if it gets fixed it will happen again
  • Its a known issue that Hyundai Tiburon in general has a lacking clutch, which is why I babied it during the break-in period.

I'd suggest a Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel, and a ClutchMaster Stage 1 (I think its FX100 or something).

I've driven my '08 Tiburon for 12000~15000 miles in the past 4~6 months, and I've had no problems with the clutch at all. Also, I do not suggest going to a Hyundai dealership service center for repair. they destroyed my door, and took no responsibility until I threatened to go to the papers, which got me a discounted price to repair. Go to a reputable Auto/Body repair shop, no headaches.

And just a general info, the Tiburon (from '03~'08) is a pull-type clutch, which no one (not even Hyundai "certified" mechanics) seem to remember, and screws with the clutch system, and eventually the transmission will follow suit.

Its unfortunate that people dramatize 1 issue as the most deathly important thing. Hyundai has improved from the past years and its still a young company, when it comes to the service department.
  • Post here several times though my first 1 is missing. Other replies are 32 or 33 and 43. The dealership repair shops give the response they are not aware of any reported problems with clutches on the Tib's and will always give the response it is not covered under warranty (in spite of the class action suit they had back in I believe '03)

They are never going to do anything about your clutch problem, even when you go to the Hyundai Customer Assistance program they tell you about in your car manual when you bought the car)

They will insist it is because you do not drive the car properly. Mine happened at less than 9K miles and then again around 17K miles later. Don't listen to any of these messages saying you do not know how to drive the car properly or it is not a big problem. It's a HUUUUGGGEEE problem.

In my last 2 messages I mentioned I took mine the second time to Kottmann Transmission. The manager of that particular one contacted the sales rep whose company makes the clutch/ fly wheel for Hyundai. That rep told Kottmann they know there is a problem with the parts and they are working on a replacement part that will cause this to happen.

Non the less, my advice is to do as I did on the second brake down.....contact the Better Business Bureau. They do not monkey around and do not take any SHI... from the big companies. They were not able to get Hyundai to repair the car at no cost. However, they gave me good advice...be persistant, do not back down. They told me my last alternative was to allow BBB to set up a legal meeting between Hyundai Repair and myself with an independent arbitrator (no cost to you) who would hear/read all your documentation on the car and also Hyundai's side, and then make a final decision which both sides would have to abide by. I told BBB yes, set up the aribtration hearing. An hour after that call, BBB called back and said Hyundai wanted to settle the matter at the full cost of my repair I had with Kottmann Transmission.

In my initial correspondance to the BBB I outlined all the normal BS of what I had been going through with Hyundai, how many miles the first occurance was, and the number of miles of the second occurance. I had also included ever email that was on this forum regarding the same problem with the Tiburon clutch/flywheel. I also included the articles that talked about the class action law suit on this matter from 5 years ago.

They will listen to you and do everything to help you...believe it! As I mentioned in one of my other postings, they will only help you if you still own the vehicle.
  • Some one got satisfaction out of going to better business bureau, which bbb did you go to, a local or national better business bureau
  • Some one got satisfaction out of going to better business bureau, which bbb did you go to, a local or national better business bureau this si regarding the clutch on the hyundai tiburon
  • Ok, I'm at 13000 miles and the clutch is fine on my '08...with all stock parts for the transmission...

If it fails...try a Clutchmaster FX100 (stage 1 for stock engine with stock power) and a Fidanza lightweight flywheel....a lot of people in the tiburon community (in a forum) have no issues with these, and their tiburons range from the RD to the current GK models
  • I did an online search for the BBB which gave me the contact information for the local BBB. However all my correspondance came from a National BBB which I believe was out of DC
  • kowdykowdy Posts: 1
    I have an 07 gs 4 cyl, had my first clutch replaced at 20k miles now again my clutch is goin out at 50k
  • Hyundai never built stronger newer flywheel/clutch combo's for y'all and put them in free of charge as a giant Tibby recall. I was once interested in buying one of these cars, and I would've bought a Tib with a 5-speed manual, too.

I think this '03 and on Hyundai Tiburon(with a few mild body changes here and there) holds up pretty well body-design-wise against the new Genesis Coupe, too. Though I have yet to see a Genesis Coupe in person to compare against the Tiburon.

But this clutch premature wear-out problem is ridiculous. Shoulda been cleared up by now, I've heard of these clutch failures here on Edmunds from what seems like 2004 on to now! :sick:

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed