Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester Tire/Wheel Questions

Comments

• Thanks for the info. I'm assuming Tire Rack is online?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    http://www.tirerack.com/

It may be harder since the Forester is less common, but check with them.
  • Had over 300 miles on this set of General Altimax, both dry and rain, I have to say this tire is super quiet....all I hear now is the engine and wind noise, it will be awhile before it snows again. I put 34psi all round and it still look under inflated in the front. It seems to give me better mileage but that has to be further tested. If it behaves decent in snow, this will be, no doubt the best grand touring available out there.
  • street4street4 Posts: 2
    the Altimax are awesome.. very quiet, absorb small bumps perfectly and have amazing traction. 225/75x16 just fit and look right on black steel rims.
    Had an ice storm with 1" of ice on the road with rain following. The Forester(without studs) was the only vehicle that could move on our hilly terrain.
  • araymondaraymond Posts: 3
    Can anyone give me an idea of what's usually done at the 90K mile tune-up and also the cost of refurbished rims? That is all for a 2000 Forester. Thanks!
    I was watching an episode of Gearz on Speed and they had a rim refurbished for under $100 IIRC. Just one reference point.
  • TJ162TJ162 Posts: 7
    I'm thinking about putting some new geolandars ATs on my 05 forester and I was wondering if anyone knew how many ply the tires were. The size is 215 60R16 with a standard load range. I can't seem to find out how many ply they are. Does anyone know or have a way of finding out?
  • laredo13laredo13 Posts: 6
    Go to www.tirerack.com. Buy the General Altimax R/T, they're great.
    Does anyone know if 215 65R16 tires will fit on a stock forester with mud guards without rubbing? Would I have to recalibrate my speedometer as well?
    By the way its an 05 forester
    Let's see...

I used a 225/60R16 tire on my 1998 Forester, and it never once rubbed. Stock was 215/60R16.

Mine was 10mm wider and 6mm taller.

Yours is same width, but 10.75mm taller.

The closest point for mine was the rear spring base. People told me I'd rub the fender liner at full lock but that never happened. That may be worse on yours, though, because it's almost 11mm taller, right where it could potentially rub.

Do you have a spring compressor? If you can find a way to put one of the front springs at full compression, then turn the wheel and measure how much clearance you have now.
    I don't have a spring compressor, but I was considering a 1 or 2 inch lift kit to solve my problem. That way I could put a taller tire on and gain some clearance for light off-roading.
    You'd still have to watch for clearance to the spring perch. Taller springs would move the tires away from the body, but not the base where the spring sits.

Wheels with a wider offset could fix that, though.
  • noey8noey8 Posts: 16
    Tires are 215-65-16 OEM. I'm looking at a possibly fitting in some previous gen OEM or aftermerket steelies in 15" size for winter and I've calculated that a 215/70-15 tire will work. Question is, does anyone know if the 15" wheel can clear the calipers and anything else?
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    I am not sure that they can. I have heard mention that the "newer" generations of Subaru vehicles use larger calipers than the older, so 16" wheels are as small as can be mounted. However, if you find out otherwise, please share!
    Not sure either but I'm going to guess no since the brake rotors grew for 09.
  • mike714mike714 Posts: 1
    I totaled my 2001 legacy outback, but the P225/60 P16 97T tires with 16 inch rims. I bought a 2001 forester with 96T 205/70 R15 tires (15 inch rims, obviously.) can I change tires and rims from wreak to new car?
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    You sure can. The Outback wheels with that tire size have a diameter that is 98.8% of your stock Forester wheels. That means that when you travel 60 mph, your speedometer will register 59.26 mph, and after 36,000 miles your odometer would clock 35,553, neither of which are very significant.

You might verify that the tires do not rub the wheel wells while turning when you first mount them (the Outback tires are 20 mm wider than the Forester tires), but I doubt that will be the case.
    I'm not sure about the offsets and such, so do a test-fit, but you're well within the 3% industry standard for variance.
  • 204meca204meca Posts: 366
    Laredo:
    I am considering either the Altimax R//T & Altimax HP. The HPs have significantly much better ratings snow & traction and modestly better ratings for wet conditions. Yet the R/Ts appear to have more sipping that than the HP which would suggest that the R/Ts would be better in water & snow.

What has been your experience with the R/Ts in the wet & snow? Thanks!