Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester Tire/Wheel Questions

Comments

• My friend has the R/T 's but I went with the Altimax HP 's based on the tirerack ratings. I initially had the same concern about tread design but so far these tires have been great. I have yet to drive them in the snow myself so I can't personally tell you. They handle great and stick to the road when raining so I have no regrets as to my choice so far. I feel confident that I won't have any problems come winter time. I extensively researched tires for my Forester and I think General tires have finally got a great line at very good prices. I hope this helps, good luck.
  • occkingoccking Posts: 346
    Ok, guys looking for feedback on this matter

Tuesday I stopped into Mastrial Subaru, after returning from a long trip for regular oil change (21,500 miles) When I left, within 1/2 mile the tire pressure monitor started to blink, then remain on steadily lit.

That evening went to a gas station & found out tire pressures were normal (32 psi I believe for front and 30 psi for rear) As I am leaving on another long trip tomorrow and didn't want to have to look at the irritating light I called the dealer & they said come on in, probably have to reset something.

Well, that's what I did this morning. Want to hear the explanation?? They claim that one of the tires was filled with 72 psi! They have no explanation how that much air got in the tire. Again, when I went there on Tuesday, everything seemed to be normal, right after I left the problem arose.

No explanation how that could have happened. But something happened while I was at the dealer. I certainly did not go to a gas station right after leaving there & put that much air in. I would be scared to to hell to stand next to a tire and put that much air in. Dealer claims no one at their place would have done such a dastardly deed (either on purpose or by accident) I know that outside temperature fluctiations can cause a small jump up or down, but nothing like increasing it by more than 50%.

The more and more I think about it, something had to have happened at the dealer, and unlikely an accident. Had I gone on my next long trip (from Providence, RI to Buffalo, NY tomorrow) and driven all those miles on a tire inflated so high, could anything have happened? This really perturbs me.

I have a great relationship with the service dept at this dealer, and don't want to make false accusations, but they insisted one tire was over 72 psi, and that caused the light to go off.

Any comments????
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I think an inaccurate reading is far more likely.

Heat will increase pressure, but if it made it all the way up to 72psi the tire likely would have suffered severe damage or wear.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,275
    If you checked the pressure, and it was normal in all four tires, I cannot imagine that something like a tire inflated with double pressure would have occurred. I would say a faulty TPM sensor would be a more likely culprit. Any time one of those stops working or is not present, the result is the exact sequence you described: The light blinks for a while shortly after starting the car (probably 30 to 60 seconds later), then remains steadily lit. I have a set of wheels on my '10 Forester with no TMP sensors in them, and this is the result. I am not sure if it behaves the same way when a sensor is reading a condition "out of range," meaning the pressure is either too low or too high.

However, in the event the tire was overinflated so severely, the result depends on several factors: 1. The tire's integrity (number of miles, condition of materials, etc), 2. The road surface, 3. the vehicle's load, and 4. the ambient and road surface temperatures. Basically.... heat + pressure = boom.

This time of year (cooler temps), of more concern may be the amount of vibration being transferred to the struts and wheel assemblies. Over extended periods, that could result in premature wear of parts.
    heat + pressure = boom

I love it when we get all scientific! :D
  • occkingoccking Posts: 346
    I agree with you 100%! It is the dealer who insisted there was 72 psi in one tire. I certainly did put that much in. The problem occured between the time I left the car for service on that afternoon and 1/2 mile after I left is when the light went on.

Could a tire even hold that much psi without blowing? You are probably right the dealer read it wrong. But, you would think, from a dealer, they would be intelligent enough to know whether that is even possible.
    Yes, a tire can hold that much pressure. I know from experience.... ;) :blush:
  • msage1msage1 Posts: 1
    I have a Forester. Does it matter where I have my tires rotated? Is there anything I need to be aware of with the AWD?
    Rotate 'em every 7500 miles or so to keep wear even on all 4 tires. You want to keep the circumference of all the tires right about the same. :shades:
  • emememem Posts: 3
    I need 4 tires for my 04 Forester xs;could use some recommendations
    p21560r16 AWD, 25k a year Boston area and need to be mobile in the snow

I got a real good price on 4 Falcon tires??

thanks
  • emememem Posts: 3
    ( wrong spelling) Falken
  • I have a 2006 Forester and last checked my air pressure in mid September. I usually do it every other week but I fractured my ankle in early October and have not been able to drive since and my wife has become my chauffer. Checked my air pressure yesterday and all 4 tires were at approx 15 lbs. My mazda, also with alloy wheels, is fine. I understand that sometimes air can leak around alloy wheels. OK. But is there any solution other than checking the pressure weekly?
  • laredo13laredo13 Posts: 6
    edited December 2010
    If you constantly drive on snowy roads do yourself a favor and buy a set of dedicated winter/snow tires. Buying dedicated snows will cost you more money now, but the money, aggravation and injuries you may save in the long run will be well worth the initial investment. If based on your driving conditions you choose all season tires than you won't be disappointed with the General Altimax HP. Falken tires are garbage. My father always told me that their are two things that are most important when it comes to a car. NEVER skimp on tires and brakes as your life may depend on it. Go to tirerack.com and do your research. Good luck and drive safe.
    Keep in mind the temperature drop may be largely responsible for the drop in tire pressure in this case. You need to check more often when the temps dip significantly.

When it warms up, too, to let air out, else you may up with 40psi in summer!
    edited December 2010
    Falken Ziex 512s are fine, the one bad thing about them is tread life, but that doesn't make it a bad tire overall. Grip is actually far above average.

I actually owned 3 sets of them - on an 03 Miata, 98 Forester, and 02 Legacy. Not a great winter tire, but good grip even in the wet otherwise.

Again, my only complaint is short tread life.
    In terms of tread life and all-season capability, I very much like the Goodyear Assurance TripleTread. I had a set on my 1996 Outback, and they were fantastic. Unfortunately, I was only able to use them for 13 months and about 25,000 miles before we (me and the car) parted ways, but I used them over two winters and they were great. They also only wore ~2/32 during that time.

They will last you about three years with your driving habits and they'll give you very decent traction on snow and ice.
  • I'm a Chicago woman who has a 2008 forester 2.5X (so my manual says) who is not an expert in cars. Apparently I haven't rotated my tires often enough and the sides of the two front tires are bald. My car just hit 28,000. The dealer wants me to buy two new Yokahama tires for the front, get an alignment and then rotate the backs to the front. We have had a horrendous winter with snow and ice. The Yokahamas never worked well in rain, and are nightmares in winter; I'm slipping and sliding. I've seen at least 10 suggested tires for the last 5 years of this blog. What do you recommend-are there any good ones out there? i need to get something ordered ASAP because my 2 and a half year old Suburu is a scary car to drive. I don't feel safe in it right now. By the way, what are suburbucks?
    Thanks....
    First, of all, I would run quick from that dealer! You definitely should not purchase only two tires to replace the worn ones. If you do that, you will put heavy stress on the center differential and may very well end up with much more serious problems (such as a center differential failure!) down the road.

I agree that your tires, the Yokohama Geolandar, are horrendous (for winter conditions).

Are you wanting to purchase an all-season tire that performs decently during winter, or have you considered running two sets - one for winter and one for summer? If you go with the two-set approach, you can probably run your Geolandars for another summer to help spread out the extra initial tire investment.

The best all-season tire I have used is the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred. It has an excellent treadwear life as well. Tirerack.com is a good place to go to get an idea of how you can expect a tire to perform. They have a (subjective) rating system based on user feedback, so you can compare tires within a given class and read reviews.
  • capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 785
    Second vote for RUNNIG from that dealer. Read your owners manual. It ought to say somewhere in there that you have to be careful about tire diameter - and that means tires have to be replaced in sets of 4.

And the cause of the eneven wear is alignment. Get that fixed, too!
  • laredo13laredo13 Posts: 6
    edited January 2011
    With 28,000 miles on your set of Yokohama's I'd replace all four. Stay away from dealers and find a reputable mechanic for this type of repair. Bridgestone 960 or General Altima HP would be a great choice for an all season tire. The General is just as good at a much lower price. I love them. As I've said before, don't skimp on tires and brakes. These are two of the most important items where money should not override safety. Yes, it would also be a good idea to check alignment at this time. Good Luck...