Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester Tire/Wheel Questions

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,949
    Follow the money then. :shades:

Steve, Host
    (I got full sized spares for both my rides)
  • aka1aka1 Posts: 110
    When I was in HS I worked at a Discount Tire for extra money for the holidays, and every now and then we would have a customer complain about having to get air in his/ her tire every other day- after researching the problem, fix a flat had started to eat away at the alloy wheel... Air was leaking through the rim itself.

If you ever use "fix a flat" or any similar solution, make sure the shop that is repairing the flat completely cleans the rim after fixing the tire or replacing the tire.

Spare tires are also designed as a means of crash protection for rear impacts- the tires help absorb crash energy.

AKA1
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Spare tires are also designed as a means of crash protection for rear impacts- the tires help absorb crash energy.

I don't know whether they are designed for that purpose but their placement certainly helps! :)

tidester, host
  • bayview6bayview6 Posts: 141
    John, you might be right. I can't figure out how much variation in circumference a 5 tire rotation will create. ;)

Looks like I will stick with the temporary spare and hope for the best. Probably will drive the Forester close to home and on the long road trips drive one of my other vehicles.
  • smittynycsmittynyc Posts: 291
    I had a flat a couple months ago on my 04 X with approximately 205XX miles. Before seeing if the flat could be patched (it could be, thankfully), I e-mailed SOA with a bunch of questions and got them to confirm the 1/4 variation requirement.

Anyway, the person I was dealing with strongly discouraged the use of a five-tire rotation, saying that unless you were rotating your tires on a weekly basis, it'd be damn near impossible to stay within the variance. He also hinted that using a 5-tire rotation could void warranty coverage of "certain driveline components."

Food for thought.

As for the full-size vs. donut spare issue, I understand Subaru's in a pressure-packed cost environment, but the donut really runs counter to the brand's spirit and one of its biggest selling points--safety. I'm sure thankful my model has the full-size: given the condition of the local streets between our place and my wife's work, we probably would have stood a 50-50 chance of blowing out a donut on the trip back home.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Just put the spare on a steelie, hopefully you'll never use it.

I got Plus One rims, 225/60R16, and my spare is an OE 205/70R15, which is a tad smaller (as big as a donut would be, though). The difference is probably more than a new tire vs. a worn one.

Any how, I got a flat in the middle of a road trip home from the beach, 3 hours total, right smack in the middle. It was more than 50 miles in either direction, so I headed home. Made it, no problem whatsoever. I did take is easy on the speeds, though.

Specifics - the flat was the driver side rear tire, and mine has an open differential (as opposed to a limited-slip on S, XS, and XT models).

I doubt tread wear would harm things as long as it's temporary use.

Nice thing about AWD is the 4 tires wear pretty evenly. I lose track of when I rotated because they all look the same for wear.

FACT: my wife's old donut weighs 29 lbs. My OE steel rim and tire were 44 lbs. Her tires are smaller, but the donut still saves about 14 lbs.

How do I know? I'm home and I just weighed the donut. I had weighed the steelie when I first installed the alloys.

-juice
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    Juice, you get the first OCD award of 2006 ;)

John
    I accept, and would like to thank my bathroom scale, which now has tire marks.

How do I get those off before my wife kills me? :surprise:
  • bayview6bayview6 Posts: 141
    Just bought a tire repair kit (plug) which I can use for temporary repairs on the road. Will carry a small portable pump with me. Will keep the temporary spare and hope for the best.
    I have a plug-in air compressor also. It came with my hydraulic floor jack as a bonus.

-juice
    btw, did you check your tire pressure before you weighed it? You wouldn't want to be off by 1/4 ounce. ;)

John
  • mnfmnf Posts: 404
    2004 has Full Size Spare not sure about 2005....

Thanks Matt
    Yes, actually. All tires were aired up properly before I measured! :D

-juice
  • jeqqjeqq Posts: 216
    I found this on Subaru's website
    BTW, it says don't go over 50 MPH with the doughnut - not 50 miles in distance.

Also, last paragraph states when you use a spare on a non-turbo automatic that's also not a 3.0, you should deactivate AWD by inserting a fuse in the FWD connector.

Here's the link

http://www.subaru.com/owners/carcaretips/index.jsp?pageid=tire&navid=TIRED_TIRES- - -
    all that only applies to NON-Foresters. Please post on the other boards, it just confuses people here.

John
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    Unfortunately, the '06 (and '05) Foresters's get a donut spare now, so yes it does apply.

-Brian
  • Does anyone know if a full sized spare will fit into the spare well of an 06 Forester? I have not yet measured but suspect not.
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    Someone on one of the boards here mentioned they were going to try removing the foam surround in the wheel well and trying a full size in the Forester. This worked for someone with a pre-'05 Legacy wagon as well.

-Brian
    Must have happened in '06, the '05 follows (edited to save electrons):

2005 Subaru Forester®
    Standard Equipment
    Forester 2.5 X
    · Full-size spare tire

John
  • kumarikumari Posts: 72
    According to the dealership, if you remove the styrofoam "bucket" and the storage tray, a full-sized spare will fit into the wheel well from the donut. I also read on another board, that you will need a longer bolt to hold it in place. This is for the 2006 Forester.

Samantha