Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Suburban Maintenance and Repair

1242526272830»

Comments

• It could be the fuel filter. I'd change that first, cheaper than going into the injector pump.
  • i have a 2000 suburban the 4 wheel drive service light is on.
  • spritemanspriteman Posts: 25
    edited May 2013
    Hello fellow motorheads,

I'm looking for a checklist for rehabbing a 97 Burb 2WD that's been sitting in a barn for 2.5 years. When the vehicle was put up everything was running normally but nothing was done to store it properly. What I'm looking for is a checklist that I can go through to make sure that I don't damage anything when getting it back running.

If any of the more capable techs here would respond I would really appreciate it. If you do respond could you include the priority of the steps. I am on a budget and I'm not sure I will be able to do everything on the first day. I will probably do most of the work to save on labor.

SM
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,664
    Based on your estimate of 2.5 years of storage, I would do the following:

1. Drain fuel tank---either you'll have to suck the old fuel out with a pump or drop the tank. Add fresh fuel

2. Change fuel filter and buy a spare one

3. Replace the battery, clean the cable ends.

4. Remove the spark plugs and squirt a teaspoon of light oil (ATF, Marvel Mystery Oil, etc) into each hole and let it sit for a little while. Replace plugs.

5. If you can, use a socket wrench to turn the engine by hand to make sure it is free. If so, go to #6

6. Check oil and coolant levels

7. Crank 'er up. Have a fire extinguisher at hand if you can.

8. Once it starts, let the engine idle, and check for fuel, oil, coolant leaks. CHECK THE BRAKE PEDAL for firmness. CHECK YOUR OIL PRESSURE warning light.

Phase II

Once running, take the car out for a short drive. Check the tires to see if they have sidewall cracks or if they are heavily flat-spotted (you'll feel that as you drive). Minor little cracks might be okay. Flat-spotting may improve as you drive.

After returning to the storage area, drain the oil and filter.

Phase III

After you are sure the truck can run reliably and start reliably, you have the option of draining the coolant and flushing the brake system, based on your own observations and judgment.

If the thumping and flat-spotting has not gone away with regard to tires, you'll have to replace them.

If the coolant hoses seems old and squishy to the touch, or if the drive belts are glazed or cracked, replace them.
  • spritemanspriteman Posts: 25
    Thanks for the great reply Shiftright - I will be tackling this soon.

SM
    Okay, work safely with gasoline! Sometimes rodents can chew up electrical or fuel lines.
  • Need help from experts.. my suburban has been doing some weird stuff..and couple mechanics cant figure out.. its not throwing any misfire codes..what happens doesnt happen all the time but will happen at 30mph or 70mph.. it will start to buck is the best way to describe it it will jerk and my gauges all go wackey tach will bounce around gas gauge will bounce around and even abs light will come on..let off gas and settles down..now last week hooked up boat which i knew would put more stress on truck and yes it happened but even more then before drove 65it miles and it happened 3 times on highway and each time had to baby it down to 30mph to get it to stop.. but no codes to check.. so leads me to believe electrical.. please help give me some ideas to look at..been told possibly speed sensor in rear diff?
  • march222march222 Posts: 4
    I need some advice, 2007 Suburban 98,000 miles. I have been religious with servicing. Noticed a tap tap on start up and initial acceleration. I had the oil changed it got louder I took it back and the mechanic listened to the engine and thought it could be a rocker problem. They want 2k plus to repair!!
    I have put some Sea foam into the oil after some research it has become quiet again.
    Any thoughts on keeping or selling? The dealer offered me 19.5k and net 52k on a new LTZ.
    Should I lease or buy?

Thanks Mark
    Well nothing in a can is going to fix a serious engine problem like bad rocker arms, so maybe you just freed up a sticky lifter.

Nothing in a can is going to replace worn metal in other words, but a detergent action could help a stuck lifter.

I'd say, on a guess, that your mechanic misdiagnosed your problem. He couldn't possibly know about bad rocker arms without disassembly and measuring.
  • nobody has any ideas on what the problem might be or suggestions on what to maybe check out!!!!
  • We have an 04 and are having the same problem.