Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Aveo Real World MPG

Comments

• wave54wave54 Posts: 209
    I've been involved in 2 other forums beside Edmunds and gas mileage DOES seem to vary quite a bit from car to car. I personally think that 38 mpg is far and away the exception, rather than the rule. I wouldn't absolutely count on any more than low 30s for a hatchback in strictly highway driving.

I keep track of every drop of fuel and enter it into a software program to track business expenses. At 66K miles, my average is 31.88 for a 2004 sedan with AT driving 80% highway/parkway and 20% moderate around-town miles. On the highway, the auto trans shouldn't hurt a bit since it has a slightly higher final drive ratio, but probably costs a couple of miles/gallon around town.

Check the mileage of actual owners at www.fueleconomy.gov -- pretty much high 20s to low 30s.
  • randydriverrandydriver Posts: 262
    I am an actual owner..
  • jkramerjkramer Posts: 6
    When gas hit 3 bucks a gallon I started looking for a $10,000 hatchback that got 30 mpg. The Aveo fit the bill and so far I haven't been disappointed. Today at the pump I noticed that the person before me put $66 in their tank. I smiled as my pump shut off at $26.

I have a 2005 LS 5-Door 5 speed manual. During 7 months of ownership the odometer reads 6400 miles. Every week I drive pretty much the same route which consists of about 50% highway and 50% city driving. I record my milage at each fill and have averaged 31.1 mpg with a low of 28.4 and a high of 33.6 mpg.

I haven't taken a long trip so I don't know what it would get for strictly highway mileage so I can't help you there.

In my opinion the 5-speed does little to improve gas mileage over the automatic especially at highway speeds. At 70 mph the engine is turning 3000 rpm and when I get up to 80 I find myself wishing for a 6th gear. If you plan to do more highway driving I would go for the automatic.
    No offense intended ;)

I just meant owners have recorded their mileage as opposed to EPA estimates or car mag figures.

I can live with mileage -- I just hope the car holds up over the long haul. The suspension is pretty shabby now and requires a lot of steering corrections and a firm hand to track straight. It seems to be the weak link on this model. Hopefully, they've corrected some of the flaws since the first year because it's not a bad car otherwise.
    I am a slow driver.....and I usually drive the speed limits..and drive very casually around town. I don't have a tendency to floor it so to speak. Oh but once in Oklahoma I did show some kids I could keep up with their Dodge truck. Oh back to the point I am one of those people that drives by the book usually. I think that is why my mileage is kinda high.

Hey, do check out the new 2007 sedan.... it is supose to be better from what the guy at the Dallas Auto show told met....
    It did have better materials inside.. I was impressed, but that is how they should have built it in the first place.
  • nosehairnosehair Posts: 1
    I have an '05 hatch MT with 32K; been getting about 33. More efficient if you slow down some. I was getting better mileage before Katrina hit (at least that's the feeling I had @ the time).
  • chrisducatichrisducati Posts: 394
    may be the re formulated gasoline for the summer that has lowered your mileage.
    It does mine just like clockwork every late spring. My milegage drops about 10% or so
  • sparxxxsparxxx Posts: 14
    Saw an interesting story on nbc's today show. It was about the rising cost of gas, as well as how misleading the estimated gas mileage numbers are on new car window stickers. Not just off by a couple of miles, but in some cases, 50%. For example the jeep liberty suv had a window sticker claiming 24 mpg, but it only gets 12 mpg. Ouch.

I bought a 2006 ford focus ST, and have been upset by the weak gas mileage I am getting. Thinking of trading for an aveo if the gas prices keep going up.

What are the owners of aveos getting as far as gas mileage goes?
    I bought a 2006 ford focus ST, and have been upset by the weak gas mileage I am getting. Thinking of trading for an aveo if the gas prices keep going up.

What are the owners of aveos getting as far as gas mileage goes?

How bad is the Focus? I wouldn't trade it in for a couple of miles per gallon. Aveos seem to get pretty much what the EPA figures say -- 26-35 MPG or so. Definitely depends on driving style and whether the miles are city or highway. People I've heard from who drive with a heavy foot around town don't make it out of the mid-20s, though.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    Click on the Consumers rating at the top of the page to see what some people are saying about mileage. It varies but some claim as much as 42 hwy, while other say 32-34.

The Liberty with the diesel engine is poor as well for such a small vehicle. It is rated at 22/26 and reports are upper teens overall, but people are gullible to keep buying them and learning later that they paid more for less.
  • sparxxxsparxxx Posts: 14
    Thanks for the tip. I had an 03 Focus SE with auto trans and that car got excellent gas mileage. My 06 Focus ST is a manual but it does have a much more powerful engine than other trim levels. Guess there is always a trade off...more power burns more fuel. Beginning to wish I would've kept the 03 focus.
  • vw79type2vw79type2 Posts: 37
    Only had my manual Aveo for two weeks and noticed gas mileage significantly varies depending on type of driving and where.

Got between 32 to 33 MPG during 20% City 80% Highway driving at my typical driving speed.

Going faster and upping City mileage to maybe 35% I got between 28 to 29 MPG.

Just today took a couple hundred mile trip with probably 90% Highway mileage at regular speed and got around 37 MPG. :)
    Very sensitive to type of road and driving technique. I'd hate to see mileage in 100% city stop-and-go, like Manhattan -- probably high teens.

My '04 w/AT has improved lately to an average of just under 35 mpg with 80% parkway/highway and the rest moderate suburban with lights and stop signs. The roads I travel every night as a delivery driver have a speed limit of 55 and are well-patrolled, so speeds rarely go above 65 mph.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    I have heard of the some of the early models not getting the greatest of mileage because of the computer not programmed properly. I have also heard (earlier in the forum) of dealers flashing the computer to reset it per GM service bulletin which supposedly helped the mileage. Did this situation apply to your car? Anything below 25 mpg in city wouldn't be good in my opinion, and this car is rated at what 27 city. If yours gets below 20 mpg you have some serious issue or a lead foot.
    I've never driven enough city miles to get any mileage readings. It was just a guess that heavy, gridlock stop-and-go all day would seriously drag the mileage down. Most of the work this engine deals with is getting up to speed. NYC taxis that get 18+ mpg on the open road get only 10 mpg in the city.

My current mileage is probably above average for this model. I never had GM reset the computer and I wouldn't tempt fate by having them touch it. My average is the upper end of the EPA numbers, after all.
    I cant stand it. I have always got good mileage out of my car....now the idiot at the top have put ethenol in our summer gas supply and my mileage has dropped nearly 15%. Can they not figure if I have to buy that much more gas to cover the same distance it it not going to keep pollution down. By the way my city mileage is down to 27 and my highway is 35. Down from 31/40. By the way this sounds dumb but my brother is a mechanic, and he told me to put in Premium for the summer it would bump up my mileage. I will let yall know.
    It seems like something HAS changed recently. Posted a month ago that I was averaging just under 35 mpg (same 150 mile route 6 nights a week). All of a sudden, that has dropped to about 32 mpg with no other changes.

Was wondering about the gas since ethanol will drop fuel economy compared to 100% gasoline. All stations in CT use a 10% ethanol blend.
    Hey guy's I just took a trip to Arkanasa up in the hills for a couple of days ....it was a family trip. My mom and I of all people. Anyway I was driving up from 400 feet to about 2600 and everything between and on the flat land up to Arkansas from Texas....I was driving 65-75mph..I averaged just over 35mpg. Got back to Texas Thursday night and filled up the tank and drove my mom back to east texas and vistited my sister and her family and had to run out to Tyler. I got back to Dallas and filled the tank and got 38.7mpg. End of story..

I filled up in the areas were they dont use Ethanol.
    I filled up in the areas were they dont use Ethanol.

What are the gas stations using instead -- MTBE? They switched over in parts of the Northeast earlier this year or late 2005, because MTBE is so toxic and has a nasty habit of polluting the drinking water supplies.

I thought all fuel supplies were supposed to go with 10% ethanol nationwide.