Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Aveo Real World MPG

Comments

• c118fec118fe Posts: 23
    new personal record this am-60.1 mi,used 3.5 gl= 17.1 mpg.At 3.04 per gal.I have lite foot and mix my road conditions.Will try synthetic and new platinum plugs.17,065 miles on '06 Aveo5.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    Keep your tires aired to the max recommended for best mileage. Did they ever reset your cars computer?
  • c118fec118fe Posts: 23
    I dont know.This was a "certified" used car at a Chev dealer.Had 10,500 mi,8 mos since titled.I keep my tires @ 30 psi.
  • Thought I'd put my 2 cents in which is about all I have left after filling up the tank, AGAIN! I'm in Canada and am getting not better than 11 and more often lately with winter starting 12.5 litres per 100 km or about 26 mpg. I also have started to drive like a granny but that sucks! I love the look but my Ford Focus wagon with a 2 litre did better mileage. I'm very frustrated with the car, can't get any straight answers from the dealer. How does a compact car with a 1.6 litre engine get such poor gas mileage? I'd say the tank was leaking but there's no smell and anyway it's new. :lemon:
  • I have a 2007 Manual Aveo 4 Door Sedan. (Aveo LT). I usually get 31-34 MPG with mostly highway driving but I have gotten as high as 37 MPG once. The difference on my best MPG seemed to be speed (about 60MPH most times) and no need for air conditioning. I have 10,000 miles on the car and run Mobile One Extended Performance 5W-30 Synthetic. I am very happy with the vehicle. :)
  • I'm using synthetic also. Doesn't seem to make a difference. And it's 5 speed. Most of my driving is city but I can't drive 60 mph on the highway! Anyway 31--34 mpg on the highway at 60 clicks is certainly nothing to write home about. I would get at least 37 on my old Honda Civic doing 70-75 mph on the highway. But take yours in traffic for a tank and you can just watch that gauge move. You won't believe it.
  • hammillhammill Posts: 10
    I have an '06 Aveo sedan 5 speed.Sounds very close to my rig. 31 to 34 driving around 65-70mph.I also got 37 on the nose once driving about the same speed.After i got that mileage it started to get very hot out and decided to get ac added to the rig best since has been 35.7 with about 85% highway driving.Now it is cold and the mileage is at about 27-32 with idle time.fyi I have 22,000 miles on my rig bought it in september with 11,000 no problems but a frozen fuel line : )
    Have you always used mobil one synthetic or just with this rig? I'm using castrol gtx synthetic , first time with the product. put it in with 16000 on the odometer ,going to go 7000miles this time and if its good stuff i'll go with it.
  • timsehtimseh Posts: 24
    For what it's worth, I've gotten pretty lousy mileage in the winter here in North-East Ohio for a number of years now thanks to the government mandated fuel blends they force on us.

I haven't even managed to go through an entire tank of gas yet (I home office, so don't put a lot of miles on) in the two weeks I've had my 5 speed LS sedan, but based on the fill I did at half a tank a week ago and the gas gauge since then vs. the miles I've driven, it looks like I'm doing pretty good.

I'll be taking a road trip in the spring and it will be interesting to see if my mileage follows the same pattern I saw with my last car. Once I get out of the state going South, the mileage improves with the gas sold there.
  • sun44sun44 Posts: 18
    I've gotten better gas mileage, since I got up to 5,000 miles. I average about 21 inner city. But on my trip, I was getting 34.5 mpg, but I didn't run the A/C that much. I think the A/C pulls it down bad. I hope they can fix that on the future cars for people..
    The Aveo is a descent car especially for the price. I see GM has said the 2008 model will have a 5 hp boost and expected 8% boost in mpg. That is good news for buyers. I wonder if they just tweaked the fuel injection?

I also find it interesting that a larger Chevy Cobalt frequently from what I read here and in magazines consistantly gets better mileage than the Aveo in both city and highway and the Toyota Corolla gets better mileage than the tiny weird looking Yaris as well. Something is wrong here.
  • wave54wave54 Posts: 209
    Sometimes a larger, more powerful engine can produce better mileage because it's loafing on the highway and can get by with a more economical final-drive ratio. The 1.6L works too hard to accelerate from a stop and climb hills.

It all depends on the car, but it's not impossible that the Aveo could get better mileage with a 1.8-2.0L that has 25 extra horsepower.
    The city mileage is comparable between these cars as well.
    I've only got 600 miles on my 08 LS Sedan (5 spd), so I know it's very early to be paying too much attention to my mileage. I did manage to burn off just over half a tank in mostly (85%) highway driving this week, though and decided to fill the tank tonight and see how I'm doing.

Just a hair shy of 35 MPG. I'm pretty happy with that, especially given the rotten mileage I've traditionally gotten in the winter here in Cleveland thanks to "winter gas".
  • New 07 Aveo5 with manual tranny. First fill up--only about 25 mpg. I'm disappointed. My 11 year old Geo Metro got around 35.

From what i can tell, the gearing on the manual transmission is the big culprit. I'm doing 60 mph and the engine is turning around 3K rpm. I keep wanting to shift into a higher gear, but, alas, there isn't one. My Metro seemed to cruise the highway at less than 2.5K, and that on a three-cylinder engine.

Why do they gear the 5th gear so low?
    :confuse:
    Better low end acceleration.
  • nav7090nav7090 Posts: 2
    I bought this throw-away car w/auto tranny and air in May '05 for about $8.9K out-the-door after using $ accumulated on GM credit card. 0% interest for 36mos from GMAC. Judicious tracking of mpg = 31.5 after 44Kmi. of regularly driving back and forth betweem 3000'msl and 100'msl. at 65-80mph. Change oil/filter every 3.2Kmi±. Am very satisfied with this commuter car, but am somewhat concerned with dealer&engine mfg.'s recommendation of power flush/replenishment of coolant after 36Kmi. I didn't want to spend the >$300, so I didn't have it done. Anyone know anything about this coolant system's weaknesses?
    Not necessary, this is just a dealer service bonus. The cooling system is no different than any other small car. Just change the anti-freeze every 2-years and you will be fine. If it has that extended range orange anti-freeze that is good for 5-years.
  • luckinsluckins Posts: 63
    I usually change my coolant or have it flushed at about every 30,000 miles, or about every 48,000 km regardless of what the owner's manual says. I do what is considered "severe" driving because I do mostly city driving with stop and go and very short trips. So, I like to service the car more often. It saves me money in the long run.
  • nogmfannogmfan Posts: 4
    I was considering the Aveo5 to replace my '01 Echo so I rented one recently while on a buisness trip. The car had just over 4k miles on it and I had it for a week. I drove practically all highway miles and it averaged 27 US mpg. GM has to do better.

My Echo gets 40-42 mpg on average. I'm now considering a Yaris. Or maybe I'll hold on to the Echo a while longer to see what else GM comes up with. :(
  • veloraidveloraid Posts: 5
    How I regret not renting one before buying! I'm sure I would not have bought either for the same reason. After one year (way too long) I'm trading it in for a 98 Honda. With the mileage I do and having had a Honda before I figure I'll save $2000-$2500 a year in gas! :lemon:
    I believe the majority of the Aveo's get close to what your Echo gets on the highway give or take 3 mpg or so. You can step up to the larger Cobalt or Corolla and get mid-30 mpg as well highway. The Cobalt city mileage is 25-27 mpg.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    The very best mileage I ever got on my 05 Aveo Hatchback LT (running synthetic oil) was between 31-32 MPG highway. I have read posts where others got much better, but I have no idea how they did it under normal driving conditions...
    Just got back from a weekend trip from Cleveland to Dayton. All Highway miles on the way down (with a quick jog up to Springrield to drop off the kid for a college visit). Got 37 MPG going there. Quite a bit of around town driving on Saturday and the trip back came out to 32 MPG. I know the city driving brought it down quite a bit and it's uphill all the way home (probably downhill going there boosted the first tank a bit. All in all a 34.5 MPG average for the entire trip. I'm not a crazy driver, but don't drive like my 90 year old grandmother either.

I know others have had issues with mileage, but I'm pretty happy with this.
  • randydriverrandydriver Posts: 262
    I just fill up my car tonight and I had drove 216 miles and it took 6.51 gallons to fill it up. :surprise: That was driving around Dallas and Plano, Tx. and back and forth to work...not bad.

I am about to take a trip up to Eureka Springs, Ar. so I will give my mileage on that trip when I get back. :)
  • ron1970ron1970 Posts: 26
    Hi All,

37000 mile average is at 39.4 mpg. 85% highway 15% city driving. Best tank 45.2 mpg / worst tank 32 mpg.

Ron
  • randydriverrandydriver Posts: 262
    Well I am back from my Family trip to Arkansas.....whew. Anywho....here are my postings for fuel consumption and and speed.

First leg....Segoville Tx to Hot Springs Village,Ar....268 miles- 6.7 gallons....39.8mpg
    Average speed between 60-65 behind a big truck most of the way....

Second leg Hot Spings Village to Eureka Spings ..plus a extra day of site seeing in the mountains...this was all mountain driving an site seeing in mountainous areas..
    :) 326 miles- 10.3 gallons.... 31.65 mpg....

Third leg of trip mostly mountainous driving and site seeing....311 miles- 8.71 gallons
    35.70 mpg. (luggage was out of the car).

Fourth leg heading home from Eureka Springs Ar. down 540 to Fort Smith and on to Broken Bow Oklahoma. Mostly speed in excess of 80mph....(my mother drove) with four people in car and a trunk full of luggage. 269 miles- 8.67 gallons 31.6 mpg

Last leg From Broken Bow, Ok. to Seven Points Tx. ...speed of 70-85 mph....(my mother drove the higher speeds) 231.7 miles- 7.11 gallons.....32.58 mpg..

Remember this was with four adults in the car......a trunk full of luggage and a wheel chair. Lots of mountainous driving.....
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    Great MPG!

Sure beats the heck out of what I got on the 05 Aveo that I had. Sounds like yours is a "keeper"!
    :) To bad u cant get an aveo hybrid for $15,000! That would sure help your city milage issues. I have a 2006 sedan 5 speed with 31,000+ on it. 85% highway driving and 32-36 mpg! very happy! warming up here now in MN. Milage going up with last tank at 36!
  • i've got the '06 aveo5 hatchback manual and it's averaging between 32-35 mpg on the highway and upper 20s around town. i had a really low spurt of 30 mpg on my last tank thanks to insane highway rush hour traffic but i'm quite pleased with the mileage after 45K miles and 2 years owning the car.