Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Hybrid MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Well, I have a 30 pound hitch on the back too....

And the way *I* pack a trunk, it can hold a LOT of stuff. :shades: :shades: :shades:
  • abacusabacus Posts: 4
    As I posted earlier, I got about 26mpg on my first tank. I did 36mpg on second, weather still just as cold. Biggest difference was minimizing the use of my heater. Even with ECO and using low heat I couldn't do as well as with no heat (other than heated seats).

Love this car tho!!! I take friends to lunch and they see that I got 38mpg with 4 total riding in the car and they are simply amazed...as am I!
  • plknjplknj Posts: 121
    The way I minimize the use of my heater and air is usually when I am at a stop. Eco works great... but when at a stop, if my gauge has not dropped to electric, I turn off the heat or air... it drops and my mileage stays up there. In NJ I've been getting between 36-39 in the cold weather.
  • ississ Posts: 2
    I have been driving my 2007 TCH for just a few days, mostly stop-and-go, high traffic, short distance, and the mileage is lousy -- lower than 30 mpg. (My I've been reading through this thread, and realize that I have not adjusted my driving style for the hybrid. (My 1994 Camry with 166,000+ miles still gets 21-24 mpg.)

I read about the ECO function for the A/C, but haven't been in the car since. Does it work with the AUTO function for the climate control?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

PS

Despite the lower than expected mileage, I love this car!
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Posts: 1,405
    The way I minimize the use of my heater and air is usually when I am at a stop. Eco works great... but when at a stop, if my gauge has not dropped to electric, I turn off the heat or air... it drops and my mileage stays up there. In NJ I've been getting between 36-39 in the cold weather.

You're obviously joining the group of extreem radicals on this board. Welcome!. However I can't imagine that you're saving but a few cents a day doing this (over using the ECO mode)and I would think that it would be awfully irritating to your passengers:)
    Thank you for the honor... yes, I am becoming a green TCH radical without bothering any of my passengers as I mostly drive alone. As my commute is at least 50 miles each way I have time to experiment and am averaging about 39 mpg... I am quite happy about this as I watch the price of gas soar.

My average does drop a bit when my wife is in the car as she married a guy who usually drove at 80mpg! Now it's more like 70.
  • grggrg Posts: 15
    Back from colorado, I am back averaging 40 mpg with nice temperatures. I find the key is to get the electric only engine on at speeds less than 40. Otherwise the "total hybrid" of Toyota seems to not be as consistently the lower mileage getter compared with the "partial hybrid" from Honda, where it seems those people don't have to concentrate so much on getting out of ICE.
    grg
    and am averaging about 39 mpg

After 20,000 miles I am averaging 38.55mpg. There are some interesting threads in the history that talk about calculated mpg figures as compared to the computer. You might want to catch up on those.

as she married a guy who usually drove at 80mpg! Now it's more like 70.

My wife has a fit every once in a while. I expect her to keep the average up. I drove an Infiniti FX45 typically at least 15mph over the limit, I now find myself doing 3 to 5 mph under the limit. It may be an obsession, I know what the car is capable of and I feel like I need to get there every time I'm out driving. I take the back roads a lot rather than the interstate and simply have become more patient and relaxed.

Over all it's been a healthy lifestyle change, as well as saving me $$$'s.
    I find the key is to get the electric only engine on at speeds less than 40.

That works great in town on flat, but I've found that the "sweet" spot on a rolling hill two lane road is really around 52 to 53 mph. No you don't get the E mode and you don't get as many minutes at 60FE either but I get a consistant 40FE to 50FE reading. When I get on these same roads and no one is around I have tried driving 40mph but it seems like even the slightest grade kicks the engine on and usually it seems at a lower FE than what I would at 53mph. It's like this thing rolls so well once you get the momentum and all that mass rolling it's more effecient to apply light horsepower to keep it there than it is to go from constant shifting in and out of E to ICE action.
  • Just took a trip from Rochester, NY to washington, DC

On trip down avg was 43.3

trip back it was 41.7

Really impressive.

C
  • texas51texas51 Posts: 1
    I got Camry Hybrid 2 months back. During cold weather when no AC was used tank average was around 39mpg overall but now with AC going most of the time overall numbers are more like 35-36 mpg. One other thing it appears tank average display on dashboard consistently displays 3-5 miles more than actual numbers. Last week when actual average was 35.5 dashboard display just before fillup was 38.3
    Have other seen this problem?
  • stalnakerstalnaker Posts: 72
    I now have about 1,500 miles on my Camry Hybrid, and it's a real challenge for me to keep the tank average above 30 mpg. Actually, if I use calculated figures instead of the display, I got 26.6 on my first tank and 30.0 on my second. So far the display shows 30.9 on my 3rd tank, and I'm do for a refill probably tomorrow.

I have found that the only way to consistently get in the mid 30's is to do a lot of driving at one time in town. Like driving around for 10 miles or more at a time. If you drive to work, go out to lunch, do some shopping after work, and then drive home; it's really hard to even hit 30; since most of those trips are less than 6 miles each. It takes at least 2 miles for the car to warm up enough before it really starts using the battery at all.

On the highway it isn't such a problem. I averaged about 40 mpg on a recent 90-mile trip (45 miles each way), averaging about 60 mph for my speed. So I have no complaints about highway mileage. But I don't know how everyone is getting the city mileage they are. I'm using every technique that people have mentioned to try and improve my mileage. Maybe I just need to wait until I have 5,000 miles on the odometer?
  • lessachslessachs Posts: 44
    Stalnaker,
    I have about 3900 miles on my TCH. In moderate weather I hit about 33 mpg. In the recent cold winter, it went down as low as 24 mpg. I've seen mpg figures around 40 but only on extended drives. I do a lot of short trips. I'm really happy for folks who report much better mpg. If its any comfort, it doesn't happen in every case. With gas
    hitting $2.75 a gallon, I still feel a lot better than the folks in regular sedans.
    That's true. In similar conditions, I averaged about 17 mpg in my Honda Accord (V6). I just wish I could consistently get 32 mpg without even trying like others had led me to believe I could get. I also don't understand why the electric motor in the Camry has less HP than the one in the Prius. I would have thought they would put the same or an even more powerful electric motor in a larger car like the Camry.
    During cold weather when no AC was used tank average was around 39mpg overall but now with AC going most of the time overall numbers are more like 35-36 mpg.

Are you in Texas or is that just part of your ID? I'm getting the 35-36 in cold WV weather and hills. Now that you're using AC are you running it in the ECO mode?

One other thing it appears tank average display on dashboard consistently displays 3-5 miles more than actual numbers.

There are a lot of threads about this that I and others have contributed. Information about the error in the speedo, error induced by the tire size and odometer as compared to a GPS measurement are all discussed. The speedo and odometer are off and the errors cannot be corrected by changing the tire size since they are divergent. That is if you change the tire size to try to correct the speedo it would make the odometer error even bigger.

I back into a calculation each tank to determine what my theoritical gas usage would be in gallons based on the computer reading. I track this for a lifetime computer average FE. I also track each tank so I have the manually calculated FE average. I correct the manual calculation with the odometer error and make up some of the error but I've found that the normal manual calculation without an adjustment for odometer error is furtehr off from computer reading.

I have about 30 fillups and the difference between calculated and actual varry from 1mpg over to 1 mpg under.
    If you're not consistant (and who really can be) a tenth of a gallon more or less on a fillup can make a pretty big difference in a car getting almost 40 mpg.

The catergorized old threads make for good reading and it's a bonus that is offered by EDMUNDS that some of the other forums don't offer.
    I also don't understand why the electric motor in the Camry has less HP than the one in the Prius

I'd like more too but I understand the Prius is more of a city car and the Camry is a nice compromise in a family sized car that still gets excellent economy with 190+ horsepower. Many are complaining already about the battery size of the camry, I don't know how much more space they would take if you made them with another 25 or so hp. The Camry gets excellent FE on 2 lane roads driving at 50 to 55 mph.
    In moderate weather I hit about 33 mpg. In the recent cold winter, it went down as low as 24 mpg.

WoW, the worst I've ever had was 33 (twice). Both times were 80+ mph trips, with one in the rain and one in VERY cold weather. The rain and cold was hurting me so bad I decided to not worry about my FE and went ahead and drove it with only partially practicing good hybrid procedures. (like slowing some going uphills (75mph) and allowing 85mph while "coasting" down hill).
    Just went to their web site to see how it compares to our TCH... They are saying it gets 25/28 mpg, can't wait to see their forums, "I'm only getting 19mpg in town, how did you get 25mpg?"!

At least with the Lexus they are only offering XM and not teasing us that it can easily be switched to Sirius. It come with a backup camera and all this at a starting price of... drum roll please... $54,900.
    Is this the GS460h (not sure if I have the model # right)? I think that car has been out for a while. If you go to fueleconomy.gov, you'll see that the new ratings only put that car at about 22-23 in the city (the TCH is 34/33 I believe).
    Also......the only car right now that seems to have a good balance between luxury, affordability, and fuel economy is the TCH. Not sure about the new Nissan yet, but you can't buy it in all states currently anyway.

Nothing else makes sense if you want a fairly comfortable car without spending over 50K (if you do have that much, the Mercedes-Benz E320 Bluetec looks like a much better car than the new Lexus hybrid).
    the Mercedes-Benz E320 Bluetec looks like a much better car than the new Lexus hybrid

I guess if you have the $$$'s it doesn't matter, but diesel is running near or higher than premium gas around here. The top of line lexus (not the GS) is probably a lot more car than the E320. I also read that you can only use low sulfer diesel in the Bluetec and if you use what's found at most pumps it can quickly ruin your $2000 filter.

Does any one know just how available low sulfer diesel fuel is?

I'm hoping they come out with the Lexus ES (I believe that's the TCH equivalent) in hybrid. Though I'm hoping they stick to the 4cy and not feel like they have to put the v6 in for performance (I like the 38mpg). I'd like a little more quality materials than in the TCH but don't necessarily want to put $50K in a car anymore.
    Yes, that would be an even "more perfect" car, an ES350 with the same engine/mileage as the TCH, for about $38,000 fully loaded.

I have a good friend who purchased a full-loaded VW Jetta TDI in Jan of '06 (they aren't selling them in the U.S. this year while they redo the engines to meet the new requirements). His car isn't as large or luxurious as the TCH, but still not bad (heated leather seats, fairly quiet, navigation system, etc). His mileage is similar to the TCH (a little worse in the city, better on the highway). He told me that diesel is higher now because of the cost of switching over to the newer low-sulfur fuel. But once the switch is complete, he thinks the prices will be more in line with regular gas. That, along with other clean diesels that will be coming out (most noticeably from Honda) should provide many more choices in fuel-efficient cars than what we have now.
    I'll have to admit that Audi, VW and some of the other European brands sure have a nicer quality look in their interiors. May not be as reliable, but they have great looking interiors. I really decided as I'm now getting to be a senior, that I'd like to have a comfortable car with wood trim (not plastic), nicer leather and a better looking dash material than in the TCH, but my bottom line was I finally wanted to get rid of gas guzzlers for my everyday ride. The TCH is the only car I saw on the market to come close to my desires. I don't mind going around $40,000 but I just can't see spending $50K+ on a car. Even though I can afford it, it somehow just seems to be a waste of money and I'd rather do something else with it. (So why not save gas and have money left over to feed the hungry? Don't just save Mother Earth, but help out some of its inhabitants)
    Well put. That's kind of how I feel. My wife even thought $33,500 (including tax & 7-year Toyota warranty) was too much for a car. She wanted me to get a Prius. But I finally convinced her :)
    I've looked at the Prius, it's a little too radical looking for me. I don't want people thinking I'm a liberal when all I am is a cheap conservative.
    ...and my son said he would not drive with me if I got a Prius... I weighed that thought... for quite some time... and happily purchased the TCh which I love and my son thinks is cool. I'll probably be adding the faux wood dash pieces and a backup camera so people will confuse it with the Lexus. :)
  • I am in Florida, and got a calculated 36.5 mpg on my first tank. Most of my driving is around town. :)
    OK, I've finally figured out how people are actually getting 30 mpg and less in their TCH. I just drove 30 miles round trip and only got 30.6mpg on that trip.

I was getting ready to go to a meeting when someone asked me if I brought my camera. Uh Oh, I said I'll be right back. I drove 65 mph on the 2 lane and when I pulled on the Interstate I did find out that the TCH will indeed do 100 mph. I also experienced some of that annoying engine whine. I slowed to 90 as I cruised the hills of WV for about 5 miles and then I hit the 2 lanes again. Got the camera, and made the trip back, similar speeds. Can't say I was disappointed. I did notice at 90 downhill and flat you still hit the 60FE mark, that's cool.
    Way to go!!! I sometimes miss that kind of driving but that was exactly how I started with the TCH until you all taught me the errors of my way. I'm just jealous because I have not got mine over 85 yet... but as a wedding photographer, I'm sure there will come a day. Happy motoring.
    I don't think I had rev'ed mine but once just to see what it would do if I needed it. It was all I need so I just never did it again. A CVT type transmission is indeed a different feel, so I believe any weird feelings i had came from that rather than the engine noise. Plenty of power. Now if it just handled like an SE those 55 mph runs would be a lot more enjoyable