Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Hybrid MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• Did anyone buy an extended warranty with their Hybrid, Im picking a fully loaded Camry up tommorow and want to know if anyone thinks it worthwhile to do the extended warranty -0- deductible takes warranty to 7 years 100,000 mile bumper to bumper
    Any comment greatly appreciated please reply to:
    ItsaRaid@columbus.rr.com
  • lzclzc Posts: 483
    The warranty that comes with your hybrid Camry covers:

Hybrid system - 100K/96 months
    Powertrain - 60K/60 months
    Corrosion - 60 months/unlimited miles
    Emission comp - 80K/96 months
    Restraint sys - 60K/60 months
    Basic - 36K/36 months

The hybrid battery and emission sys warranty is longer if your vehicle is bought in a state with Calif's emission system.

It seems to me that the risky stuff is well covered already. I didn't buy one. Extended car warranties are generally the most profitable option sold by dealers. I've never bought one and over the years have saved more than enough to now pay for any possible post-warranty repair and be money ahead.

Good luck. You're getting a great car.
  • An extended warranty on a Camry would be a waste of money.
    These cars are built to run forever. Don't do it. For more support check out Consumer Reports opinions of these ripoffs. Enjoy your car.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Posts: 1,405
    That's a pretty broad comment to realistically apply to everyone buying a Camry

I don't have an extended warranty, but I don't consider them a waste of money for many people. There are many that might prefer to finance a warranty at $16/month than to take a chance having an unexpected $3000 repair at around 80,000 miles. $16 can buy a lot of peace of mind. Not everyone is in the situation where choking up $3000 would be easy. There is still toooo many things on this that are expensive to fix and I'll be surprised if Toyota has a 100% reliability record in 4 years.

I'm hoping my Toyota is as dependable as you think, but I would imagine there are many people that indeed need costly repairs. If not then I would think that my dealer would have nothing more than a drive through oil change facility out back.
  • Quote directly from Consumer Reports auto section:

"What you should do: Consumer Reports does not recommend buying an extended warranty unless the car is particularly trouble-prone. Most basic warranties are sufficient, covering at least three years or 36,000 miles."

Didn't mean to sound too sharp in my comment.
    It's ok with me if people are more comfortable with an extended warranty but for a Toyota Camry, I think its an unnecessary expense.
    I've never needed one as I seldom keep a car more than a year and a half. However I drive 30,000 miles a year and I plan to keep the TCH long term. Even in my financial situation the thought of $1000 for 3 full years of assurance looks reasonable.

If it were not for the longer term drivetrain warranty I wouldn't even hesitate and would buy it
  • gampagampa Posts: 78
    Well... I did buy the extended warranty for the Hybrid... first one I ever bought. Is it a waste of money? ... I'll let you know in seven years!
    I figure the $600 I paid... gives me the peace of mind for four years after the 3yr/36,000 original ends. Thats $150 for each of the fours years.
    Its transferable to the first sale for $50.00 transfer fee.
    so thats a selling point.
    There are just too many things that could go wrong in this complex car... I don't want to pay for those repairs... since I will probably keep the car for the seven years

Good luck on your decision.

Gampa
  • I average 28 mpg US around town which is a combination city street and short freeway hop in California. Dealer told me I would average 36 mpg. On board readout said 24 mpg after about 1000 miles. So I complained. Sales guru at dealer show some things about driving a hybrid, and demonstrated coasting. So I did those things, but found it hard to coast uphill.Got average up to 28 mpg city. See Steve Young on TV claiming it gets 40 mpg. I am getting the distinct feeling of razmatazz. I know some say so what, still gets good mileage - but that's not what I bought. Nice car but not sure I would have this car if Toyota and dealer were honest. Anyone else feel the same way I do?
  • lzclzc Posts: 483
    We just returned from a 650 mile trip that consisted of about 500 hwy miles, the rest city. Mileage: 39.6.

Yes, where possible I follow the coast recommendation, when I can see ahead that traffic is slowing or coming to a stop. It works. Very short, 2-5 mile, cold weather trips reduce my mileage to 34-35. I expect that will improve with the weather.

In general, I'm pleased with the car.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    OK wvrsmith, let me attempt to help you understand why your mileage is what it is......:D

The Toyota dealer did not lie to you, and neither did Steve Young. There are people getting 40+ MPG in the TCH - it is possible. But there ARE issues that cloud the whole truth - read on..............

Number one, I don't know if anyone told you yet, but the current EPA test is FLAWED and is going to me modified for the 2008 model year cars. The old test, the one which rated the TCH at 40/38, does not take into effect modern day 2007 driving habits and speeds. It does not take into effect cold engines and short trips. It does not take into effect use of the air conditioner. The test also gives hybrids an unfair "boost" because it allows the hybrids to use the electric battery system in a way which is advantageous to the test results but not reflective of what REAL drivers get in the REAL world.

That's why they are changing the test. The 2008 cars will have much more realistic EPA estimates on the stickers.

Now - me personally, I have owned my TCH since last June, and after 19 tanks I am averaging 36.1 MPG so far, with a low tank of 32.77 MPG and a high tank of 40.6 MPG.

I know how to drive a hybrid for max mpg, as this is my second hybrid car (my first being a manual tranny 2004 HCH) and I have absorbed a lot of tips and tricks into my driving habits. My commute is short and not conducive to high numbers, so I am at a disadvantage for trying to get 40 MPG every tank.

If you WANT to learn how to drive your TCH for max mileage, and it DOES take learning new techniques and the desire to achieve the numbers, then you CAN do it, assuming your commute is favorable. Sounds like it is, because personally I think the only "bad" commutes for a TCH would be two hours at 75 MPH or a five-minute drive at 35 MPH.

So look around, visit some hybrid sites, and use the instrumentation in your TCH to help you figure it all out.

And it you want to get 40 MPG without learning any tricks, then go trade your TCH on a Prius and get the $249 a month lease and drive the Prius any old way you want and you will still get over 40 in that car....:D

Good Luck....
  • grggrg Posts: 15
    I am not sure where you live, or how cold it is there, but I think there is hope for you once the weather warms up. I got my TCH in August and when it was warm I got as high as 42 mpg on a tank and as low as 38 mpg but I was "trying" in town. Now that it is colder, I get 34 mpg on average. I live in Colorado.
    g
  • faldocfaldoc Posts: 83
    I drive a lot of highway miles and average pretty much 39 mpg. It is slightly less in the winter, right at 40 in warm weather. Around town it goes down to about 34 mpg. I have 17k on the car in 6 months. I found that doing all the tricks gives me 1 or 2 mpg, but I got tired of driving like a grandpa so I just drive it normal, use cruise control as often as possible, and that's it.
    There is a topic thread on tips on Edmunds.

I'm averaging 39mpg after 18,000 miles. Trips 37 to 30, rural driving 39+mpg. I don't have to drive in congested cities though.

Winter driving is down for me considerably around 35.5 to 37 but I don't drive it in the snow so it will get fewer miles over the first few months of the year.
  • We probably have the worst MPG from what I seen on the forum. Our MPG has dropped down to 26 MPG (from 29 in the summer) since we hit 5K in Dec. and using winter formulated low emmissions 10% ethanol fuel. It is driven in LI NY. Our trip consists of extremely short trips typically < 5 miles/10 minute trips with temperatures in the 20's. As a comparison, a co-worker of ours get 33+ on 40 minute trip to work.

In comparision our other car with a EPA rating of 19 get 13 in identical driving.
    In comparision our other car with a EPA rating of 19 get 13 in identical driving.

It's all relative. EPA ratings can't possibly cover all driving conditions. I get 39 but I don't have to drive it to work.

30% less gas rather it's going from 13 to 19 is still 30% less gas. It's still nice to know that if you do escape LI you can get in the 30+'s
  • I do very short trips in cold weather. My average: 24mpg.
    I had the dealer check my TCH out. He said eveyrthing is fine that a 30% or so drop in mpg is to be expected. :(
    I had the dealer check my TCH out. He said eveyrthing is fine that a 30% or so drop in mpg is to be expected

True, but I'm guessing much of your problem is the short trips and you won't be hypermiling even when it gets warmer. Were it warmer this would still put you at or below 30mpg. Possibly not bad for your particular commute. Still with some practice and "hybrid driving" miles under your belt I see no reason to not get 35+ on normal driving.
  • plknjplknj Posts: 121
    Wanted to say 'Thanks' for your tips. I was averaging 33-34 mpg on a 100 mile a day drive. Everything you said is true... went to a couple of hybrid sites and had to learn how to drive at 54 years old! But it works and it slowed me down a bit... I am finding driving more relaxing and am getting 37-39 mpg in cold weather. My only complaint is that I wish the hills I have to travel were flatter... but I guess I can't change everything.
  • Thank you. When I got the car in November and the weather was warmer, I was doing 32-35 mpg in town. I'm hoping for the same this Spring. BTW, I had debate with a co-worker about using high octane fuel. I put in a tank of 93 octane and true to eveyrone's advice on this blog--it didn't make a bit of difference. :D
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    You are welcome, and keep up the good numbers !!! Good job !! :shades:

Cruisin' In EV Mode,
    Lars

PS Lifetime on my TCH after almost 10K miles is 36.2 MPG.