Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Hybrid MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• wvgasguywvgasguy Posts: 1,405
    I had debate with a co-worker about using high octane fuel. I put in a tank of 93 octane and true to eveyrone's advice on this blog--it didn't make a bit of difference.

You'll find many that will argue with you about that. I'm not one of them ;)

It's a waste of money.
    PS Lifetime on my TCH after almost 10K miles is 36.2 MPG.

I'm at 19,500+ miles and winter driving has my lifetime down to 38.9 mpg ;)

Gas prices are just starting to rise fast again so I would expect to see more interest.
    Just saw on the "other" site a link to an article about the 2008 EPA ratings. The TCH drops from 39 to 34 mpg. It makes a fairly big deal out of the hybrids not saving near as much gas as they tout. However as you read down there is a chart showing other vehicles and the ICE only vehicles also dropped 10 to 12 % as well. No big deal, my overall savings from a 39mpg average dropping to 34 mpg is still a lot better than a 12% drop in a 16 mpg rating vehicle.

Any way I feel really good as I'm averaging 14.7% higher than the EPA 2008 rating. I looked at the F150 and the one I traded got 25% LESS than even the new 2008 rating. All things being equal, I'm guessing real world numbers for hybrids will pass the test of time.

Now that gas hit $2.50 again, I'll have to laugh when the EXPEDITION (that's what I drove as a daily driver) drivers tell me I'm not really saving that much by driving my TCH.
  • Latest from federal DOT:

New MPG Estimates May Cause Confusion for Some Consumers

New 2008 model year vehicles will be the first to use EPA’s newly revised MPG estimates and, although it’s still early 2007, many of them are already arriving at dealerships. The new ratings are designed to provide more-realistic MPG estimates by factoring in air conditioning use, colder temperatures, higher speeds, and quicker acceleration. Therefore, new tests will likely lower the MPG estimates for all vehicles. This is a welcome change for consumers who felt the old estimates were a bit optimistic, but the new ratings will make it difficult for car buyers to compare 2008 vehicles to those from previous model years tested under the old rating system.

Www.fueleconomy.gov has developed a tool to help consumers compare the old and new MPG estimates (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp). Consumers can simply select a pre-2008 vehicle and see what its MPG rating would be under the new system. It also shows real-world MPG estimates for many makes and models provided by other drivers.
  • plknjplknj Posts: 121
    Again, I am new to hybrids but looking up EPA ratings I came across the EPA Air pollution score site... follow this link: http://www.epa.gov/autoemissions/midcar-07.htm . Really interesting information about every car, regarding air pollution and green house gas scores.
  • I was very disappointed with the new EPA ratings. It does NOT represent true life mileage. They merely applying some equation to the prior City & Hwy numbers. This is proven by using the calculator on their web site:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculator.html

I currently am significantly under the city (extreme local) mileage on mine, but I easily exceeded all vehicles that I have owned for the highway, even when I go 65 mph with A/C on.

Although it may not be practical, they really need to drive the car where the true vehicle load with the wind drag is used.

AC
  • lzclzc Posts: 483
    I never thought the usefulness of mileage estimates was their ability to accurately predict what mileage drivers might expect. There are too many different driving environments and driving behaviors for that.

As long as the measure is consistent, the value is in comparing one car to another. It worked reasonably well until the Prius came along.

One EPA spokesperson on TV said on a change was needed "to reflect the changes in how people drive." In the background cars were lined up at a stop light. When the light turned green the sound of squealing tires got the point across.
    I was very disappointed with the new EPA ratings

Bottom line, what does it matter? They were off before, they'll be off this time as well. Too many different terrains, driving styles and habits to figure in. It's all relative and as long as everyone realizes that then it simply is nothing more than what it was intended to be and that's a guide or estimate. Most people know if they drive hard or easy. In this case I believe the TCH estimate will be easy for anyone to achieve. However we still have a lot of posters getting below 30 mpg.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    They are off this time (as they are ESTIMATES) but the new test is MUCH MORE REFLECTIVE of how people drive. The old test was just stupid.

At least now cars are not going to leave owners screaming "What about the EPA STICKER mileage, huh?!?!?!? Why am I not getting that!?!?!?!?"

Much better than the old test.

By the way - my TCH mysteriously did not lose a single MPG after the new tests were announced - I was getting 36.2 the day before and am still getting that the days after....:) :shades:
  • I just picked up my new 2007 Camry Hybrid last weekend! I love the car so far. It's more luxurious than I expected. I was afraid I would be longing for a Lexus, but this is by far the nicest car I have ever owned, including an Acura I used to drive. I think it's actually the perfect car, given the balance of luxury, economy, and price.

Anyway, on to my question. I have been resetting my mileage on the touchscreen fairly often, just to see what kind of mileage I get for a particular trip (I'm practicing to see if I can improve my driving skills to get the best mileage possible). In addition to this setting, is there another mileage indicator that I can access that would be tied to either of the trip counters (A or B), or one that I could access when I refill my tank? If not, then I guess I will have to avoid resetting this the next time I fill up in order to see what my mileage really is for a whole tank of gas (Of course I know I can calculate the mileage manually, which I will also do).

One more question: Do most people refill their tanks when the low fuel indicator comes on, or do they wait until the estimated miles remaining is almost to zero? I was always afraid to wait too long on my previous car since I was never quite sure how much gas was left in the tank, but I'm hoping that with the Camry Hybrid's estimate on fuel remaining, I can use up almost all of the 17 gallons before I fill up.

Thanks!
    By the way - my TCH mysteriously did not lose a single MPG after the new tests were announced

That's exactly why no one needs to get their shorts in a wad over this. Mine is at 38.8+ and with warm weather coming it will only get better.

Your 36 is about what I average on high speed interstate driving in warm weather. I don't commute for work with my car and the most of my time I'm on rural 2 lane highways where I easily see 40+ driving between 50 and 55.

I will say though that the nice thing I see is that the TCH can, if you're so willing, significantly exceed the EPA estimates. From what I saw on some of the other cars also dropping their estimates 11 to 12% from last years ratings, I don't think there is much upside. If it says you're going to get 22 mpg then that migh just be about as good as it gets. (I say that based on the estimates I saw for my previous vehicles)
    in addition to this setting, is there another mileage indicator that I can access that would be tied to either of the trip counters (A or B), or one that I could access when I refill my tank?

The touch screen is a great learning tool for comparing various routes and techniques for some of your routeine trips. On your dash screen (over the steering wheel) is a tank mpg gage. It resets itself automatically when you fill up. There is no mpg that I know of to use for say a trip A and trip B setting.

Do most people refill their tanks when the low fuel indicator comes on,
    That's a personal preference. There are threads in this forum on the subject. You can probably drive 100 miles after your light comes on or even after you hit the "0" mark. That's pretty well documented, and you'll see that after your first fillup or two.

Also there is information about manual calculations vrs using the mpg gage. There are errors in the speedo and the fuel mpg calculator. More info and interesting technogeek reading is available on that as well.

Check out the driving tips threads.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    It's the short trips that are 'killing' your fuel economy in any vehicle you drive. Cold weather adds to the problem.

The flip side... you have short trips. :D Former commuter into NYC from No Jersey.

Luckily now I only have a 150 mi daily commute through the coast plains of NC/VA. Enjoy your short trips they are worth the price of somewhat lower fuel economy.
  • lessachslessachs Posts: 44
    I've posted here about disappointing mpg numbers with my TCH this winter. My trips were short and in cold weather.
    I was averaging about 25 mpg. The temps rose above 40 this week and my latest average is 32 mpg. The cold temp does indeed knock down MPG.
  • stalnakerstalnaker Posts: 72
    I just picked up my TCH about a week ago (2-24-07). I can't verify that the tank was 100% full, so that might be a factor. But I have been averaging only 25.9 MPG so far on the first tank. I live in Indiana. The average temperature for the past week has been around 40. My commute to work in the morning is only 4.1 miles each way, so obviously the car isn't fully warmed up by the time I get there. My only highway trip so far was from the dealer where I bought the car to my house (about 40 miles). I did get 37 MPG on that trip. But I'm disappointed with the city mileage. The city mileage on hybrids is supposed to be HIGHER than the highway mileage! When I leave my garage in the morning (I have a garage heater and keep the temp at 55, so it's not that cold), I look at the screen and it seems that the battery is almost fully charged. So why can't the car run off of the battery right away? Why does it have to "warm up" first, when I have the car inside in a fairly comfy environment anyway? FYI, I have been using the economy mode button for the heater/AC.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    ALL CARS (non-hybrids and diesels too) run less efficiently when the engine is not up to optimum operating temperature.

Your daily commute is not good for owning a hybrid - it's just not long enough a trip for the HSD system to do it's best work. I have the same problem - about 5 miles. But I am fortunate enough to live in Phoenix when even the COLDEST mornings are still in the upper 20s.

Here's a test to prove to yourself that the short trip and not the car is the problem: Take a 30-minute meandering trip around your town, keeping your speeds under 42 MPH (as the car will not use EV mode above that speed.)

Once the car is warmed up properly, you will notice it going into EV mode quite a bit, and you will notice the MPG increasing.

Let us all know the results of that test. :D
  • stalnakerstalnaker Posts: 72
    I'll give that a try this weekend and see what happens. Another thing I don't understand. If I accelerate up to the speed I want and maintain it without lifting my foot off of the accelerator, the car doesn't necessarily go into EV mode as fast. But if I accelerate up to my desired speed and then let off the accelerator for a moment and then put my foot back on it to maintain the speed, I notice the difference almost immediately. Is this something that Toyota programmed into the car on purpose?
    It's the length of the trip that governs all FE values not so much the type of driving.

You can refer back to an earlier post I made in this forum #314. Hopefully it will give you some guidance.

Also you will need to wait a good 5000 mi or so for the vehicle to get really broken in. This forum has a lot of good info by experienced drivers from all over the country. Take the time to read the posts. Good stuff here.
    Yes it is. You've noticed one of the biggest gas saving technologies in the Toyota hybrids.

At highways speeds when your lift off the pedal the engine goes from about 1600 rpms to about 950 rpms ( idle speed ), yet you are still going 50-60 mph.

At city driving under 41 mph when you let off the gas you actually shut the engine down and you are 'gliding' or maybe running on electric power.

The longer you can get into these two phases the more fuel you'll save.
  • redfieldredfield Posts: 2
    I AM GETTING 28 OR 29 MPG ON MOSTLY
    SHORT PERIODS OF DRIVING,USING HEATER.
    No long trips yet. How can I improve?