Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Hybrid MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• Driving it right [conservative] I get 38 - 40MPG, occasionally better.
    Driving it in the mountains I get 34 - 36 MPG.
    Driving "like everyone else drives" I get 36 - 37MPG.
    Driving it with a car top carrier I get 27MPG [YIKES!]
    I drive a lot. These numbers are solid. This is a great car.
  • calliscallis Posts: 2
    I purchased my car in May 2008, and I was getting 37-39 MPG on a tank. Right now, I have a 1/4 of a tank left and I am getting 32.7 MPG. My car has 3081 miles on it. Has this happened to anyone? Is so, what was done to make it improve?

I live in southern Louisiana, so I am only driving on flat land (no mountains or hills)
  • I think your gasoline has probably started to have more ethanol added to it
    my mpg was less than 32 when I started a new tank and I had several more long distance runs on that one (which makes for higher mpg than my normal in-town driving) so I am thinking that the place I buy my gas from--a Kroger site that gives 10 cent discount to people who shop Kroger has just started adding/buying gas with more ethanol
    the disclaimer at the pump says it can have up to 10%---
    looking for new gas station w/o ethanol to see if there is difference
    now I am starting to worry about its effects on my engine...
  • plknjplknj Posts: 121
    After my accident... when they had to rebuild my TCH, the milage dropped from 40+ mpg to 36. I brought the car back to the dealer and they ran a check on the car. It showed nothing... but, the milage wnt back up.

This occured again after a recent visit where they worked on the car... the milage dropped again to the 35-36 range. Again I asked them to run a system check. They did and found nothing! But, the milage on my car returned to the 40 mpg range.

If you have noticed a marked drop in milage after having the car serviced, ask them to run a system check and see if this helps.
  • shook4shook4 Posts: 4
    We have had tempeture in the mid 100's for the past couple of weeks. I have noticed a 3-4 MPG drop in town driving on our TCH. I think it is because of the battery drain due to the AC, AC blower fan, and all the engine cooling requirements such as the electric radiator fan, water pump, etc. I think the battery drain requires the engine to run more often to recharge. I also noticed it was very difficult to rum in total battery mode. Now that the temp is below 100 the gas mileage has returned to normal. Anyone else experience this issue in extreme heat.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Absolutely normal. I live in Phoenix, and have had my TCH for a little over 2 years now.

Summer tanks in my car have gone as low as 29 MPG and as high as 40 MPG if most of the trip is highway miles.

A little trick:

If you know the car is heated up and the battery charge is good and you are below 42 miles per hour, just turn off the A/C button for a few seconds and the car will sometimes go to electric mode. After all the cold air has blown out of the vent system and the car is in "E-Mode" just turn the A/C button back on. In some cases the car will remain in E-Mode and other times it will go back to gasoline.

I have used that method dozens of times to get a little more "battery time."
  • talmy1talmy1 Posts: 55
    The battery capacity drops at high temperatures, reducing the amount of time one can run on battery even more. Long trips with the air conditioning on will reduce the battery temperature and improve mileage. I just consider either temperature extreme to be bad on mileage.
  • Live in phoenix as well...and yes the MPG drop when the temp is over 100 is about 3-5 mpg. I notice that the battery drains faster mostly because the a/c is running at full capacity....but I can't complain....after sitting outside in 115 degrees for 5 hours in full sun with only a front sunshield the a/c cooled the car down rather quickly. Still the lowest tank I've recorded is 33.1 and that was the hottest week here with temp highs over 112 all week and was forced to keep the car outside during the day.
  • bigc_1bigc_1 Posts: 2
    Bought a new 2008 Camry Hybrid in December 2007. Have put 15k miles on it so far. Average mpg are 36.4. I have a lighter foot than my wife and can get a consistent 40 when I drive. Recently completed a 411 mile trip over flat lands and mountains. Took 10 gallons to fill the tank. Dealer replaced the rear brake pads at the 5k service as they were making noise. Has a slight noise from rear when braking lightly. Noticed the right rear rotor has a slight rub spot when rotating the tires. I performed the 10k and 15k service using Toyota 5-20 oil bought from dealer. (Mobile 5-20 in a Toyota container). Fuel economy improved after winter was over. Bought some 0-20 oil to try this coming winter. Actual mileage is a little bit less than the computer indicates.

Heading out tomorrow for a 2500 mile trip. Will post any significant events when I get back.
  • Just for clarification, are you saying that you are getting 33 mpg even with 112 degree weather? My hybrid is coming in on monday, unfortunately it is in black color and in the valley where I live, it is 100 degrees for couple months.

nick
  • Yes 33.1 is the lowest tank I've recorded.....usually its about 50% city 50 % highway. This week its been very humid and around 108 and the mileage is back to 35 even with the a/c working overtime. When I first got the car in Feb was averaging 37-39 mpg per tank but the temp was averaging between 60-90.
    Great car....you are going to love it.
  • I commute 120 miles per day. 20% rural hills, 20 % in town and 60% highway. First tank was 40.3 mpg. Second tank 42.1 mpg. I typically am driving the speed limit or just a few miles over. So far so good. Great mileage for this large of car.
  • I have had my 09 TCH for two months with just under 2000 miles and the mpg has been around 36-38 running the A/C. The last tank is showing 42.8 without running the A/C so a big improvement. I use 100% gas (no ethanol) and am curious if the E10 stuff hurts the mpg. I also have a 96 Camry that typically gets 31mpg on 100% gas and when we tried E10 the car ran lousy and the mpg dropped to 28-29. Will E10 have the same effect on the TCH? E10 in the OKC area seems to be predominate now and it is getting harder to find 100% gas. I am hesitant to try E10 if it will hurt the mpg (even if it is a few cents cheaper), not to mention what other "bad" things E10 might do to a car.
  • I have 09 TCH bought in May--used normally for in town driving--stops/starts and lights and since I'm in TX run my AC---I normally get a 32-33 avg and the gas I normally put in has ethanol to certain %--there are times we have gone on the road and gotten more like 38-39-40 mpg and bought gas that probably had no ethanol...
    so yes--if you have ethanol mix it will lower your MPG no way to avoid that since it is law of chemstry...
  • lzclzc Posts: 483
    The energy content of gasoline is 112-114,000 BTUs (winter/summer blends). Corn ethanol contains 76,000 BTUs. E10 reduces the energy content about 3%.
  • So, I guess the bottom line is I need to stick with 100% gas as long as I can get it. Something I knew all along but was hopeful the TCH would handle the "garbage" stuff better. Whose brilliant(?) idea was it to introduce ethanol into gas? Wait, don't answer that, I think I know who!
  • I just completed a round trip between Syracuse, NY and Hyannis, MA in my new TCH. The tank average for the trip to Hyannis was about 40 mpg. The average for the trip from Hyannis was about 36 mpg. The routes were identical as were the driving conditions. The difference? The gas bought in Massachusetts for the trip to Syracuse was 10 per cent ethanol.
  • I am also seeing a discrepancy between the readouts, and when I calculate MPG in my 2007 THC at the pump. The read out on the console is usually anywhere from 3 to 5 mpg better than what my calculation is after filling up at the pump. When I asked the dealer to check to see if the on board calculator was reporting accurately, she said the on board one was working fine. She said it is just calculated differently than when at the pumps. I have no idea what that means. How can both be correct? How would they check the accuracy of the on board calculator? Thanks for any insight you may have.
  • lzclzc Posts: 483
    A 3 to 5 mpg spread between dash readout and hand calculation seems excessive to me. I've experienced a .5 to 1.5 mpg difference, with the dash reading high more often than hand calculation. Some of that can be accounted for by the difference in when gas pumps click off.

I will say that about the time I conclude the dash reading is always a little optimistic, I get a couple calculations the other way. So, it just may be not as precise as some might wish.
  • tsytsy Posts: 1,551
    I agree, mine is usually only 1-2 mpg off (always higher though). This is similar to my experience with other cars with trip computers though. I believe it's calculated by the computer through how much fuel is going through the injectors which must not be completely accurate but is a close estimation.

tom