Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Interior and Dashboard

Ok, i feel like an idiot and I know I'm not. I recently bought my truck which has the standard solid bench seat. I have no owner's manual. For the life of me, I can not figure out how to get the back of the seat to fold forward/down. I have looked everywhere for a release. It seems aparent that it should fold because it will move back and forth a little bit until it hits a stop. Can anyone help me? Thank you.

Comments

• I got a 93 ck 1500 a while back and have the same problem, I still haven't figured out how it works. Every now and then it does fold forward but I have no ideal what I do different when it does. Sorry I can't tell ya something.
  • I have never gotten my to fold. I did speak on the phone recently with the service department of a local Chevy dealer. I was told there are 2 types of bench seats for that year. One of them has a small release lever on the drivers side rear of the seat which often gets covered by the upholstery. There is another seat that is supposed to have a safety mechanism to keep the seat from coming forward in a crash, but should rock back and forth and release. I can not get mine to work nor find a release lever. He told me if I couldn't get it to work to come by and he'd show me. I may do that today. If I find anything out I'll let you know. Thank your for responding.
  • I did finally make it by one of the dealerships here. No one seemed to know anything about it. Basically, I was told in so many words that it's too old. No one ever brings those to the dealership so they just really didn't know. Way to go Chevrolet. Glad the rest of my vehicles are Lincolns.
  • efultzefultz Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 Silverado whose speedometer is not working right. Is there a way to repair this or do I have to replace the entire instrument cluster? Is this something I can do or do I have to send it out (or have the mechanic do it)?

I have seen people indicate the dealer quotes $500 but I am assuming that is to replace the entire instrument cluster.

Could there be a recall for this?
  • sqhd8sqhd8 Posts: 3
    I bought this '99 Sierra SLE 4wd auto ext cab new. 83k miles. Intermitently my fuel gauge goes from full to empty, regardless of fuel load. My shift selector only shows up if I push the odometer reset button? What the ???
  • I have a 99 Sierra SLE 2wd auto ext cab 5.3L. At around about 120,000mi my gas guage started doing the same thing. I now am at 137,000 and it still does the same thing. I,m not sure what is causing it. Thankfully that is the only problem I have had.
  • sqhd8sqhd8 Posts: 3
    I took my truck in for service at the local GMC dealer, always a scary proposition, the word on the fuel gauge is it is the sensor in the tank. $500 - $600 to fix...great.
  • Anyone else had this problem? I can be driving down the road and the whoel panel will go blank. It also feels like the truck shifts down out of over drive. After a few seconds it comes back on. I have taken my battery cable off at the battery and noticed some corrosion on it so I cleaned it. Drove it and didn't have the problem today. Just curious if anyone else had this problem
  • jnealjneal Posts: 247
    Sounds like you found and corrected the problem. Modern vehicles must have clean tight electrical connections everywhere, both +positive and -ground, or all sorts of screwy things happen. Even a weak, not dead, just a weak battery can cause problems.
  • atarbyatarby Posts: 2
    Just recently bought a used 05' Sierra. Great truck so far but one thing I need to do is replace is the passenger mirror. It has a crack in but the turn signal still functions and the motor still works for position. Obvisously the mirror is one with the turn signal built into it and I am looking for anyone to walk me through the process of replacing it?? Dealer quoted me $217 for just the mirror part, I am assuming I do not need to replace the whole mirror unit but just the glass?

Anybody relplaced the mirror before? Anybody know where I can get one cheaper?
  • I just had some of the gauges go out on my truck. The speedo, Batt, Tach, Fuel, Oil Press. It got down to -10 below, and when I started diving these gauges had stopped working. Everything else seems to be working fine ( NO CODES showed up) Can someone shed some light on this issue. I think it might be a relay, or something like that. Thanks
    Man, where are you located that it has gotten to -10 already?

Anyway, after your vehicle warmed up and the interior warmed up did the instruments etc start working again?
  • Yes it did, but it was sure strange, and Yes I am at the North Pole AK. It was -20 today and getting colder.
  • I just purchased a 2000 Silverado and had problems with air flow direction. I removed the lower dash panels and found that some previous owner had devastated the plastic heater housing. This makes me think he had problems with the air flow also or other heater problems. I replaced the heater control panel and can see that 1 of the gates moves. One further back is hanging by only one end. Question is how hard is it to replace the whole plastic heater housing? Does the heater and all have to be removed to replace it? Any directions greatly appreciated ASAP as cooler weather is on it's way. There is no air movement to the side vents or the defroster causing me to replace the plastic housing
  • My 2003 3500 Dmax did the same thing last week. I took it into our hobby shop to work a separate hard starting issue and once the truck warmed up the gauges worked fine, haven't had that problem since,but the truck still doesn't want to start when it is colder than 0. I'm at Eielson and yep the great weather here is upon us.

Anyone have any thoughts?
    Electronics aren't designed to work in extreme climates. Extreme heat or cold will cause circuit boards or even plug-in connectors to expand or contract thereby losing continuity, usually grounding but not necessarily.

You could pull the dash and go over all the connections and plug-in components but that would probably be an exercise in futility. Best solution would be to put a small electric heater in the cab to keep a reasonable temp in the cab overnight. Then again, unless you are using a engine heater you may well have a problem with the sensors etc under the hood not working until warmed up.
  • My 2004 Sierra is doing the exact same thing. The speedometer intermittently display the wrong speed.

Have you heard any more about this problem since you first posted?