Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Interior and Dashboard

Comments

• After 60,000 + miles, my drivers seat heat has become inop. only staying on for a few minutes before shutting off on it's own. Is there a circuit breaker for this or is it on a thermostat. Thanks
  • Well I recently purchased a used 1500 with 160k on it. It runs quite well, doesn't appear to have the common engine clanks that most have in the cold weather. However while driving, or parked I noticed that my oil guague sits at about halfway and just jumps up and down. I hadn't seen anything about this being a common issue so I thought I'd ask and see what you all thought. If worse comes to worst I'll just have to take it in and get it looked at.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Exactly how far does it jump? Are you talking about the needle or the gauge itself? When parked it jumps as the idle remains unchanged?
  • My 02 just started doing this and while I haven't fixed it yet, I suspect the sending unit is worn where it spends the most time. Doesn't do it when it's cold or if you rev the engine a little to get the sender to a different spot, so I suspect a new sending unit will fix it. Good luck ,Jim
  • Well after watching it a little more closely it appears to stable out while I accelerate, however when i sit idle it moves from about the halfway point on the gauge about a quarter of an inch. Its not a constant rise and fall it bounces up and down. So... sending unit?
  • Ok guy big problem with my 99 z71 truck (im setting with 96,000 miles right now)
    Im supposed to leave town tomorrow on a family thing but the other day my speedometer just died on me and went strait to 0MPH for no reason at all now the crazy thing is when I lay off the gas (or touch the brake) the speedometer acks like it wants to work and the needle jumps up but then the very second it jumps up it drops strait back to 0mph…
    I took the truck in and the mechanic installed a new sensor but it was still having the same problem (he said he has never seen this type of problem before) so what can I do to get this problem fixed???

any help would be greatly appreciated
  • geo9geo9 Posts: 739
    Most likely your instrument cluster has failed.
    Common issue on 03+04 trucks. First post I have
    seen on a 99 model..............

Check out http://www.gm-trucks.com or
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com
    You will prob. find more info. there.........
  • chev 1500hd Silverado lt loaded. Fan in the headliner is rattling. Has anyone found any information on why this is there or how to replace the thing. Figure it has something to do with keeping the onstar cool but that's going away the end of this year anyway (analog). Any information would be of help. Thanks and ChevON!!
  • i own a 1999 chevy silverado reg cab. when i got it, it had an aftermarket cruise control in it. it did not work when i got it. i want to put in a stock control with a cruise control on it. looking at the things on eBay, the connectors look identical from the one w/o cruise and the one w/cruise. my question is can i simply buy a new one with cruise and install it. is it that easy? i want to know if these vehicles are prewired and ready for options it doesn't have, the speakers are as i found out but ya im not sure if a cruise control swap is that easy. thanks a lot
  • jtryerjtryer Posts: 1
    the fan is the temp. sensor for the climate control.
    Mine is making a loud buzzing sound. It started out doing it every couple days but now its all the time. Im getting ready to un plug it. I didnt know it had a fan it until I took it in to the dealer.
    They offered to replace it but I said I would wait and see if it stopped. It didnt so Im going to take it in soon.
  • Jtryer is correct it is a sensor for the temp for passenger controls. I work for the supplier that assembled the headliner for GM. GM is aware of the situation and fixed the issue, but after a few thousand vehicles were assembled. Take it in to dealer to get fixed. I have the ext cab and have not had an issue (yet). I can tell you you can not do it yourself as the headliner has to be removed to replace the PCAT sensor. The grill snaps in the sensor. Sorry for the inconvenience!
  • Hi All, new to the forums here.
    looking for some in locating a replacement glove compartment door for a brown '89 sliverado.
    i'd loaned the vehicle to my bro-in-law, and it came back with the pin hinges on both sides broken off. i found the piece from one side on the floor, but the other side is completely gone. the only thing holding the door up when its open now is the plastice string supports.
    i've been looking around in various car part web sites, and have found pretty much everything BUT a glove compartment door. any suggestions?
    (i haven't been to a dealer to ask yet either)
  • no ideas from anyone? none at all?
    okay then...does anyone have an idea about how to repair or replace the hinge pins?
  • I have a 1999 Sierra and the passenger's power seat moves ~ 1/4 to 1/2 inch when braking/accelerating. It just started to do this. Is there a lead screw or something that can be tightened/adjusted to take up the slack? I notice if I move it to the far back position, I don't have this play. Not sure about full forward.

Thanks
    Bruce
  • I have the same problem on both seats. I have been trying to get a solution for some time. I also recently heard a caller on a local DIY radio show with the same problem, the host suggested it was an unsafe condition, but had no other advice. It apparently is an issue with this model.
  • vols99vols99 Posts: 1
    Bought seatcovers for my truck, but can't get headrests removed to put them on. Anyone got any advice? I have a 2007 Silverado 2500HD(new body style) crew cab. Pushing the little button only allows up/down adjustments, not removal.
  • fgjwfgjw Posts: 5
    In Canada it is a trip to SPEEDY AUTO GLASS and you are fixed up.
    usually requires a strong jerk to clear that last latch with that little button depressed.
  • I JUST BOUGHT A 2004 CHEVROLET SILVERADO EXT CAB
    HAD IT ABOUT TWO WEEKS.36,451 MILES. I WENT TO HOME DEPOT AND I NOTICED MY TACH HAD STOPPED WORKING. I CHECKED TO SEE IF THERE WERE ANY LOOSE CONNECTIONS BUT STILL NO LUCK.ANYONE HAVE A FIX? THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS.
    There is a plug in the back of the cluster. Remove the cluster and check the plug. Still don't work? Order another cluster or if under warranty have the dealer do the above.

And do try to lose the CAPS.
  • nelle6nelle6 Posts: 1
    It is the stepper motor inside the instrument cluster that is your problem. I know of a shop that can repair that cluster for 185.00 and a one day turn around. Give them a call at 1 800 677 3336.
  • What's wrong with the caps? i like the caps.In the words
    of an old Sheriff. " THAT,S AN ATTENTION GETTAAA" Thanks for the help guys ill see if i can check the back connection
    If thats not it, ill call the #. its a crying shame these
    problems with so little miles.
  • I have a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500. At about 40,000 miles my amp guage quit. At about 48,000 miles my gas gauge quit working and now stays on "E" with gas light on. I have been told to replace the cluster. Could you please tell me if I could fix the cluster myself? If not tell me what replacing it involves, and what are my options on a new purchase?
    You could upgrade your current cluster to one of a Escalade or Denali. You will need to get it programmed with your current mileage prior to installing it. As far as installing it is pretty much plug and play.

Not sure on getting it repaired as even the dealer won't be able to help you there. Not by replacing components anyway. They would offer to replace your current one with one similar and if programming is not available with provide you with a door sticker that has the date and mileage at the time of replacement plus enter your mileage under your VIN and record it with GM.
  • Where can I get a new or reman cluster? I can't do without my truck to send my cluster off and have it repaired. Is there a place where I can get one of those cool flamed clusters already programmed?
    You can call these guys and make arrangements for programming a new cluster.

clusters