Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cars You Hate/Cars You Would Kill

Comments

• irnmdnirnmdn Posts: 240
    I think that anything that gets less than 40 mpg should be restricted to professionals who require such vehicles for their (essential) jobs

Are you implying general public should only buy Honda and Toyota?
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,681
    I think that anything that gets less than 40 mpg

I agree, got any suggestions. I need a midsize PU that gets 40 MPG. They are available all over the world. Oh, except in our restricted society. We are by law not going to get that kind of mileage except on cars too small for most people's needs.
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    I agree with you re the GM 'mini' vans; I saw the Chevrolet version the other day and thought to myself, 'Jeez, leave it to GM to mess up something as tried-and-true and presumedly inconsequential as the front end of a van.' The fact that they've been on the market for a couple years (IIRC) and that was one of the first I'd seen on the streets should tell you something. Ugly.

Despite their protestt to the contrary, GM is as guilty as ever of badge engineering, eapecially in the SUV and minivan categories. I can't help but wonder how much better GM would be if they offered two divisions (a bread-and-butter and 'luxury', like, uh, Honda, Nissan and Toyota). Then they could do something amazing like concentrating on the big details that really matter rather than petty little trim peices that separate, say, a Torrent from an Equinox.
  • chuck1959chuck1959 Posts: 654
    I noticed, today, too a big Ford F-Series Super duty. Now, not many of these are around where I live, but occasionally I'll see one. It just makes me think... what's the point? Sure, they may be essential for some uses.

I have never liked those "carriage" tops.

Here in Houston, I see alot of the Super Duties. Your answer to "what's the point?" They are mostly used commercially. Rare to see one used as a private use vehicle.
    I always thought it was a bit odd that the General and Ford (who at one time touted themselves as "the wagon master" because almost every car in the line up was offered as a S/W model) never really had a decent minivan. IMO the Astro/Safari and the Aerostar were just a scaled down, truck based full-size van.
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,495
    My sister has a 2004 Ion... awful little car. I get in it only under duress.

The Ford Ranger is suffering the most in Ford's financial problems... it always has its redesign "postponed" first. I challenge anyone to find much difference between a 2006 Ranger and a 1989.

All 3-letter-name cars and trucks. Come up with a NAME, people. I guess the automotive industry is suffering the same lack of imagination as Hollywood, who only seem to spit out remakes and adaptations these days.

Every remaining Buick model. No explanation needed.

Every 4-door sedan whose steeply raked back window both reduces the trunk opening to an oversize mail slot, and prevents anyone with an adult-sized hand from cleaning the inside of the glass because A) glass cleaner just drips straight down onto the back seat and shelf, and B) no one's hand will EVER reach the bottom of the window.

Any vehicle whose C or D pillar is so ridiculously wide and misshapen that you'll never see anything over your right shoulder.

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,698
    ...Saab 9-7X. Rebadge a GM SUV and call it a Saab. Oh the humanity!

All GM and Ford minivans.

SUVs under 20mpg unless they're used for Commercial work.

All Buicks.

All Mitsubishis, Isuzus.

Agree on the Subaru Tribeca. Dump the Subie with that spoiler, too. No amount of performance is worth a car that looks like that.

Get rid of the big trucklike SUVs from Lexus and Infiniti. Get rid of the Escalade, too. In fact, I don't like hardly any SUVs unless they're for a good pupose. Did I say for Commercial business? I know many people say they want need their SUVs. But of course before 1990 they weren't available and thus weren't as needed - but somehow we got by, didn't we?

BTW, Honda did just announce they're discontinuing the Insight.
  • harrycheztharrychezt Posts: 405
    1) PT Coupe:
    (they have the convertible, all they need to do is a little more work on this model to make this happen).

2) Kia ED:
    (compact sporty car, 200HP: may make it here, in 2-3 years, may not).

3) Ford Reflex:
    Who knows?

4) Dodge Hornet:
    Nice concept, and rumors are Chrysler is looking for someone to build it for them/with them.

5)Sporty Suzuki Reno:
    Rumor is it will be built(see edmunds future vehicles,etc, intellichoice) for 07 or 08?

That's it for now.

Out of all of these, sounds like that a version of the Hornet is almost a done deal, the Reno will be here(?), and
    the Kia sporty car will (eventually) show up, in some form.
    No word on Reflex. PT Coupe probably won't happen, unless they do aftermarket stuff(or through dealerships).
  • khmerkenboykhmerkenboy Posts: 14
    For 2006, the one car that everyone should get rid off is the Subaru Tribeca. What a monsterity. Talk about over indulgence, I usually see single moms or lesbians driving that thing.
    they want need their SUVs. But of course before 1990 they weren't available and thus weren't as needed - but somehow we got by, didn't we?

Suburban has been around since 1935. Always popular with big families even when I was young. Many others since the mid sixties were popular. Not like the crazy decadent 1990s I will admit. The 1990s spawned every kind of excess in our society.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,698
    Gagrice, I'll grant you the suburban. Let's just kill all of the other big SUVs. I hate the fact that now SUVs are an excess version of the 1960's station wagon. The problem is that not only do they increase our dependence upon foreign oil, they make it more hazardous for those of us who want to drive reasonable-sized vehicles.
    I look at vehicles somewhat like houses. One guy builds a house 12 feet tall the next guy has to be 16 feet tall to see over his neighbors house.

Maybe the price of gas will slow the sales down. I do not see a big need for a Suburban to commute to the office. I personally like the upright seating position in my PU truck vs the lounge chair feel of our Lexus. Most of my trips are about 3 miles to the Home Depot or Costco. So gas is not an issue either. If I felt the environmental community, the EPA and the Government were in the least bit interested in saving fossil fuel I would downgrade to a smaller PU truck. Outside of Edmund's I don't hear anyone talking about conserving at all. Except the bit about ethanol paid for by our friends at ADM.
    I agree. Not only that it's WAY overpriced!

You actually SAW one? I haven't seen a single one on the road yet.
  • tncarmantncarman Posts: 82
    Hmm, 16ft is huge? Wow, Im living in a 18-Wheeler then...

Anyways, the Buick Lucerne needs a name change. Is it just me, or does "Lucerne" sound like an 80 year old woman? I mean, just think about it...
    reminds me of cottage cheese or buttermilk, yuck.... The car deserves a better name.
  • hangaralf1hangaralf1 Posts: 107
    i know this comes in a little late, but there is nothing, no-way, no-how, that can make the Aztec look even almost good - this thing should be recalled for offensive esthetics and as a possible cause for eye and nerve damage. and the people who brought this to market should be made to drive one...well, i wouldn't wish that on anyone, but those who bought one should be hauled in and tested.

btw - i like the name lucerne - i've been to luzern in Switzerland - beautiful, elegant, sophisticated city - i hope the car lives up to the name
  • hangaralf1hangaralf1 Posts: 107
    i agree with you also on the GM minivans - reminds me of when somebody straps on a pig snout for halloween. i figure they had to change it since it did so badly in the crash tests.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,071
    Nissan Armada/Infiniti QX56 - thing looks like a 1957 Rambler on steroids. Hideous!

Hummer H1 & H2: Wasteful monstrocities.

Hummer H3: Tonka toy for poseurs.

Honda Element: This grotesquery exists only because it has "Honda" on it. If this were a GM vehicle, it would've long since been laughed off the market.

Scion xB: Leave postal truck design to AM General.

All GM "bottlenose" minivans.

Pig-nosed Camry: Sure, the old Camry was dull, but adding a weird snout is no way to stand out.

2006 Hyundai Sonata: A fake Honda Accord. I used to like Hyundai until they started copying existing Japanese designs.

Hyundai Azera: a fake Toyota Camry. See above.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    I agree with you on most of these. Who came up with the retro-Rambler C-pillars? They're popping up on SUVs everywhere, but the Armada/QX56 may have started the trend.

On the Element, even though it's no beauty, I kind of like it for its functionality. Imagine - a car without carpeting - could never understand why cars must have carpeting (and carpeted mats) when you have to trudge through dirt, mud, sand, or slush sometimes before you get in. It's not like your house where you can take off your shoes at the door.

I know everyone's criticizing the new Camry, but you ought to examine one up close. It makes a difference. There's a lot of subtle curves there that it didn't have before. But it could lose the Bangle butt! And that snout really isn't one -- it's just the grille has a "hanging" emblem.

Speaking of emblems, why do they have to be so gigantic nowadays?

And before I forget, the Buick Rendezvous (son of Aztek) should have been on my list of cars to kill.
This discussion has been closed.