Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Engine Issues

Comments

• autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    When stopping for a red light (car in drive and brake on) a vibration with a rattle starts and stops as soon as foot lifted off brake.

I had a similar problem last summer when my PCV went south. My Mazda Protege5 (predecessor to the Mazda3) was basically choking when it was stopped. The solution: install a new PCV (approx. C$350).

Surprising that your dealership did not identify this as the cause. Perhaps there is another reason in your case. Did you get a diagnostic test done to identify an fault codes?

Good luck!
  • I love my 2006 GT hatchback except... It runs like carp for those first few minutes before the engine warms-up. Is this just nature of the beast?
  • I love my 2007 S touring sedan, but during acceleration, there seems to be a slight rattle coming from the passenger's side of the car. It wasn't there when I first got the car, but I'm hearing it now 6 months later. It's particularly prominent on the mornings where it's a bit cooler. Anyone have any ideas?
    :(
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    Can you be any more specific about the location of the rattle? "passenger's side" doesnt' narrow it down much.

Maybe you can stop in the chat tonight and run this problem past the assembled brains! :P

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• I drove both and felt little difference. I ended up buying a 06 mazda3 i touring with the 2.0. I was told by the dealer there is only 12hp between both engines and isn't worth the extra money, I just put a K&N filter in my 2.0
  • ahightowerahightower DFWPosts: 427
    I could certainly tell a difference between the two. Not huge, but I could feel it. However, the 2.0 felt plenty powerful enough for me (especially after comparing it to my other top contender, the Mitsubishi Lancer). The added gas mileage and lower sticker price appealed to me more for this purchase - just a commuter car, trying to save my pennies. I'll add a K&N filter when the original needs to be replaced. The 3i Touring package added the key features I really wanted - steering-wheel audio and cruise controls, iPod jack, side airbags, ABS, and 16" alloys. It was a good compromise for my needs. I'm getting 32 mpg and don't miss the extra power and torque 99% of the time.

The salesman also told me that the 2.0 had better reliability than the 2.3, but I haven't really seen anything to substantiate that. He might have just been trying to convince me I was making a good decision, but even if it's just anecdotal, I'll take it.
  • I just bought a new 2008 Mazda 3 2.0. I have a bit of an issue. I was traveling through New Mexico when a re-tread tire fell out of a tractor trailer. Well unfortunatly I hit it. I drove about a 100 yards and pulled over. My oil was emptied immediatly. I had the tow truck take my vehicle to Ford, since there isnt a Mazda dealership around for the next 100 miles. The ford service department stated that I needed a new oil filter housing. Apparently the oil filter ripped off. I am not much of a mechanic, but I am not sure if I really need a new housing. They gentelman said the threads were all messed up. I talked to a friend that works at Mazda and he stated that I might only have to replace the filter. I didnt know if the housing was plastic or not. I am a little worried, I am traveling back to Fort Lewis, WA. There was a little bit of body damage but nothing major. Im not sure what my car may need, I can't seem to find a photograph of what my oil pan and housing is suppose to look like. the oil pan is fine, thank goodness. But im stuck here till they can get parts according to them.
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    Since the oil filter was basically ripped off, I'd say there's a reasonable chance that the threads are damaged.

Sure, you MIGHT only have to replace the filter, but without actually getting my eyes on it, there's no way to say one way or the other, so I'd say that if someone actually looked at it and has told you that you need a new housing, that's probably the case.
    By all means have them show you what they mean, but from the incident you desribe, I'd be surprised if there was no damage that needed to be repaired.

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• carjimcarjim Posts: 155
    For the life of me I can't find the source where I read that the 2.3 would be replaced by a 2.5 in the Mazda3.

Perhaps it is a rumor. Ford used a 2.5 in the Contour/Mystique, but it was a six.

Has anyone on the board heard about a larger engine?
  • carjimcarjim Posts: 155
    Thanks a million for the link. I couldn't ask for more confirmation than that.

I will definitely want to test drive one with the 2.5 when they show up.
  • gib11gib11 Posts: 47
    t he 2,0liter is used extensively in the MZ6 in Europe ans Asia since 2002, verry reliable. The 2,3liter has more torque than the 2,0liter (150 vs 135)
  • pjadepjade Posts: 5
    Just bought a 2008 Mazda3 i touring 4 door sedan. Has anyone noticed a high pitched hum that comes from the left side engine compartment near the fan belt. It is always there but especially hear it when sitting at a stoplight or even if the accessories is on with the engine not running. Can hear it inside the car, but hear it most when standing outside. I talked to Mazda service and they said that this is common on all Mazda3's as it has to do with the electronic power steering - just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? It is kind of odd to consider it normal. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • nsbio1nsbio1 Posts: 47
    Yes, I also noticed that on my 2008 i Touring. The pitch does change when you turn the wheel, so it is consistent with it being power steering. Supposedly, PS on this car is not purely hydraulic but is electric (I am not a techie). To my ear, it is (barely) audible but it sounds normal to me.

I never actually listened to it from outside the car. Should do it at some point, I guess.
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, if you get time you should listen to it from outside the car and see what you think. I took my Mazda to the dealer today and they agreed the noise was a little louder than normal especially after starting 3 other ones that purred like kittens showing no kind of noise. It's going in the shop on Tuesday to investigate and hopefully fix it. I must say right now I'm a little disappointed. I'll keep you posted.
  • mazzz3mazzz3 Posts: 1
    PJADE,

I was wondering if you have heard back about the hum, I too just bought a 2007 i touring model and am experiencing the same sound. Thanks!
    Well, Mazda said that either there was air in the power steering system and they would need to bleed the system, if that didn't work it was probably a bad pump so they would replace that. Bleeding the system didn't work so now they have to order a new pump and it's going to be put in Friday. YIKES!!! Anyway, I hope that takes care of it. I'll let you know. Thanks!
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,011
    Bleeding the system didn't work so now they have to order a new pump and it's going to be put in Friday. YIKES!!!

Relax. It's a simple procedure that will likely fix the problem.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• My 2007 Mazda 3 has approx 10,000 miles on it. Today, while I was idling at a red light, it stalled and the check engine, battery and low oil lights all came on. I turned the car off, restarted it and it was fine. I now have to take it in to the dealer to have this checked out. I'm really bothered by this as I drove a 1994 Saturn for 13 years that NEVER stalled once!!!
    Is anyone else having these problems??
  • I was wondering how does the ac belt come off. It is a 2.3l motor and this belt just wraps the harmonic balancer and the ac compressor pulley. There are no tension pulleys. What gives to get this belt off. Thank you in advance.