Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Engine Issues

Comments

• carjimcarjim Posts: 155
    Thanks a million for the link. I couldn't ask for more confirmation than that.

I will definitely want to test drive one with the 2.5 when they show up.
  • gib11gib11 Posts: 47
    t he 2,0liter is used extensively in the MZ6 in Europe ans Asia since 2002, verry reliable. The 2,3liter has more torque than the 2,0liter (150 vs 135)
  • pjadepjade Posts: 5
    Just bought a 2008 Mazda3 i touring 4 door sedan. Has anyone noticed a high pitched hum that comes from the left side engine compartment near the fan belt. It is always there but especially hear it when sitting at a stoplight or even if the accessories is on with the engine not running. Can hear it inside the car, but hear it most when standing outside. I talked to Mazda service and they said that this is common on all Mazda3's as it has to do with the electronic power steering - just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? It is kind of odd to consider it normal. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • nsbio1nsbio1 Posts: 52
    Yes, I also noticed that on my 2008 i Touring. The pitch does change when you turn the wheel, so it is consistent with it being power steering. Supposedly, PS on this car is not purely hydraulic but is electric (I am not a techie). To my ear, it is (barely) audible but it sounds normal to me.

I never actually listened to it from outside the car. Should do it at some point, I guess.
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, if you get time you should listen to it from outside the car and see what you think. I took my Mazda to the dealer today and they agreed the noise was a little louder than normal especially after starting 3 other ones that purred like kittens showing no kind of noise. It's going in the shop on Tuesday to investigate and hopefully fix it. I must say right now I'm a little disappointed. I'll keep you posted.
  • mazzz3mazzz3 Posts: 1
    PJADE,

I was wondering if you have heard back about the hum, I too just bought a 2007 i touring model and am experiencing the same sound. Thanks!
    Well, Mazda said that either there was air in the power steering system and they would need to bleed the system, if that didn't work it was probably a bad pump so they would replace that. Bleeding the system didn't work so now they have to order a new pump and it's going to be put in Friday. YIKES!!! Anyway, I hope that takes care of it. I'll let you know. Thanks!
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,571
    Bleeding the system didn't work so now they have to order a new pump and it's going to be put in Friday. YIKES!!!

Relax. It's a simple procedure that will likely fix the problem.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• My 2007 Mazda 3 has approx 10,000 miles on it. Today, while I was idling at a red light, it stalled and the check engine, battery and low oil lights all came on. I turned the car off, restarted it and it was fine. I now have to take it in to the dealer to have this checked out. I'm really bothered by this as I drove a 1994 Saturn for 13 years that NEVER stalled once!!!
    Is anyone else having these problems??
  • I was wondering how does the ac belt come off. It is a 2.3l motor and this belt just wraps the harmonic balancer and the ac compressor pulley. There are no tension pulleys. What gives to get this belt off. Thank you in advance.
  • this has happened to me three times. the only difference is that with mine, the starter does "click" and again when towed to the dealer they have been able to start it without problems.
  • mazdrvrmazdrvr Posts: 103
    The body looks pretty much the same with exception to the front. But, makes me tempted! I want to test drive too. 2.5 liter; at least it makes it .1 better than the new XRS Corolla; can't have a Corolla be faster! Lol. I hope they add on some basic standard features like VSC & a remote trunk release!
  • ayoda5ayoda5 Posts: 4
    I have a 2008 3s hatchback w/ manual tranmission. Since buying the car in Dec 07 (now have 2800 miles) I have noticed that when the engine is cold during 2 and 3 gear acceleration, the engine acts funny. The best way to describe it is that when I am pressing the gas (say in 3 gear) it accelerate as usual when there is all of the sudden what feels like a bit of a boost in power (almost like when a turbo kicks in). This dissappears when the engine is warmed up. Anyone know why this happens. Is it a problem that may have to be addressed by taking it into the dealership.

Anyone else experience this kind of issue. Really appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
  • moon7moon7 Posts: 2
    I am interested in the Mazda 3 5 door or the new Toyota Matrix with the bigger engine. Does anyone know if the Mazda 3 hatchback has a timing belt or a timing chain and is it an interference engine? I will ask the same questions about the Toyota Matrix.
    Thanks, Rod.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,571
    The Mazda 2.3 has a timing chain.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• fjc3fjc3 Posts: 2
    I was checking with NAPA on-line and found out my 2009 3 uses an oil filter cartridge. I have never worked with one of these before. Are they easy to change/work with?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,890
    From what I've been able to see online the biggest hassle is getting at the filter to replace the cartridge. I've also read that you have to go to the dealer to get the filter cartridge and parts.

Here's a link to a page with photos of a guy that shows how he does it on his 2004
    http://robert.aitchison.org/tiki-page.php?pageName=Mazda3+DIY+Oil+Change

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• fjc3fjc3 Posts: 2
    Thanks for that info.!!!!
  • scwmcanscwmcan Niagara, CanadaPosts: 394
    You should be able to buy from any auto parts supplier now, the problem is indeed the getting at the filter, if you are doing it yourself make sure that you do not tighten the screws holding the splash plate in place too much, if you do the nuts in he clips will turn and it will be very difficult to get off next oil change (learned this the hard way, having to blindly reach into the splash panel with one arm whith a wrench and hold the nut while also trying to loosen the screw is not fun). I seem to recall at least one poster cutting a hole in the splash guard under the oil filter (where the hole that is on the splash panel should probably be). Don't let this discourage you it is possible to do.
    Scott
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769

I had a similar problem last summer when my PCV went south. My Mazda Protege5 (predecessor to the Mazda3) was basically choking when it was stopped. The solution: install a new PCV (approx. C$350).

Oops. I meant to say EGR not PCV!
  • wise1wise1 Posts: 90
    My 1986.5 Nissan truck is having similar problems. At a stop sign or red light it idles very low and feels like it is going to choke off. The idle is not right, its either too high when very cold or too low when warmed up. Is this the PVC or The EGR??? This truck doesn't have a check engine light so its guess work as to what the problem really is!! I inherited it from my late father and he didn't do much maintenance on it so I'm trying to get it fixed one thing at a time. It only has 71k miles on it and should last a very long time. :shades: :shades:
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    Is this the PVC or The EGR

In my case, it was the EGR, in your case it could be the same or something else. One way of solving this is to get a diagnostic. Consider that the replacement cost for an EGR including labour could be several hundred dollars, you wouldn't want to waste the money replacing it if that did not solve the problem. The check engine light is just a warning signal; a diagnostic pulls up the trouble codes (likely OBD1 codes considering the age of your truck). Good luck!
  • wise1wise1 Posts: 90
    I have a Haynes manual on Nissan trucks that says that the Diag. code will be erased when the truck is cranked 50 times after the code is first given, so the computer will most likely not have anything on it. And OBD1 are not readily available at most garages in this area. :cry: :cry: :sick:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,013
    That is strictly a wrecker resource or some of the bigger swap meets, like Hershey in PA.

I doubt anyone is reproducing these emblems.

Now if it were a Mustang, you could order the entire car out of a catalog.

Also check Hemmings Motor News for Ford Parts providers.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• joem5joem5 Posts: 201
    when I step on the brakes at times the driver side lock clicks as if to lock. I stoppped to get my mail and the other 3 doors unlocked. Then I started car up and the seat belt alarm did'nt go on. While driving down the road I unbelted and the alarm went on.
    Lastly, when parked, if I pump brakes up there is a clicking sound under right side of dash.I've had a rattle in center of dash for two weeks,then these problems stated to occur.
    Do think a wiring harness is loose,or a computer is screwed up? :confuse:
  • jmbeazjmbeaz Posts: 5
    Code P0128 - Possible faulty ECT Sensor. Where is it and can I replace it, or is it a Dealer issue?
  • I want to put a cold air intake on my 05 mazda3, Put all the intakes I have found mount the air filter down by the left front wheel behind the splash gaurd in the wheel well. I have herd somethings about water getting in to it when driving in the rain. Has anyone had this problem.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,013
    I'd never recommend mounting a cold air intake down below the level of your engine. It's not just a matter of water getting in--it's a question of driving through a deep puddle, and having a couple of cupfulls of water sucked up into the air intake. When that happens your engine is immediately ruined. There's no warning and no chance of survival. The piston tries to compress the water in the cylinder and bends the connecting rod---instant engine seizure.

Yes you need a deep puddle and some back luck for this to happen, but it's a real risk.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• Was that your problem the ECT Sensor? Was it expensive to repair?

We just purchased a 2004 Mazda 3 and the engine light came on yesterday.

The code was the same as yours: PO128
    Coolant thermostat condition- low operating temperature

Probable cause
    low coolant
    open or short circuit condition
    faulty ECT sensor

Car drives great and shows no problems at all.
  • We just purchased a 2004 Mazda 3 and the engine light came on yesterday.

The code was the same as yours: PO128
    Coolant thermostat condition- low operating temperature

Probable cause
    low coolant
    open or short circuit condition
    faulty ECT sensor

Car drives great and shows no problems at all.

Any one else have this problem or any advice?

Thanks!