Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Engine Issues

124»

Comments

• elminstelminst Posts: 1
    I have had this same issue twice in my 2005 Mazda 3 in the past 2 months.
    Both of mine happened after extended driving (1 hr and ~2.5 hrs highway)
    If I let the car sit for ~15 minutes, it will start up. Almost like it needed to cool down. the temp gauge reads normal.
    The battery is fine, only 5 months old. My regular shop did not find anything wrong with the starter motor and a transmission fluid flush was done between incidents.
    It has been driven without issues many times in between these incidents, including several other 2+ hour highway trips, and during a week of 90-100 deg temps.
  • Had my usual oil change (60K miles) in a Mazda dealership late July and was told there was a leak in the oil pan. Interestingly, that dealership did not notice this problem in March during a regular scheduled oil change when my vehicle was still under warranty. My car's warranty expired in late May and a leak was discovered in July. Just like to know everyone's opinion on this case. Would you consider the practice of this dealership suspicious?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,967
    I'm thinking NOT suspicious. An oil change would not involve removing the oil pan, so that eliminates any chance that a gasket was torn or damaged by removing the pan. And if the leak didn't start until July, then it wouldn't have been seen in March. And I'd have to read the warranty, but I'd be surprised if a simple leak at the oil pan is a covered item anyway.

I'd put this one in the simple coincidence column.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I have a 2004 Mazda 3 2.3 L 5 speed manual with 155k miles. It's been burning oil recently and just recently starting having a rattling noise coming from the engine compartment. I hear the noise at around 2.5 RPMs and the noise happens when I release the gas petal. I replaced the spark plugs a week or 2 before this started and they didn't have the recommended ones in stock but they said they have another kind that will work. I also noticed when replacing the spark plugs that there was oil on the first one on the passenger side. Has anyone had similar issues? I am in despite need of help and I need to keep costs down
  • I have an 05 Mazda 3. I have the same oil problem-it degenerated quickly. All of a sudden uses a litre per week (about 500 km). I am disappointed. I know the cost of repair will be prohibitive but in this day and age at 150,000 km I expect a bit more from a japanese manufacturer. I have an acura tl with over 200k km and no problems like this at all and I don't expect to have them and it is a 2001. sorry Mazda, you aren't listening and can't cut the mustard. last Mazda I will ever own.
  • Have been experiencing rod knock between 2.5 and 3K RPM. Burning oil. Engine needs to be replaced.Very unhappy with Mazda.
  • manfred3manfred3 Posts: 1

I would like to comment on the 2.3 engine - lack of oil issue . We have had the car new since day one and has been regularily serviced at the same dealership . The last oil change was less than 3000 kms ago , last week we heard a knocking noise in the engine compartment , when i checked the oil - there was no oil to be checked . Took it to a local garage and they added almost 4 litres of oil , there where no signs of leaks or blue smoke from the tail pipe . Then took it to local mazda dealership - they could not explain the disappearance of almost four litres of oil in less than 3000 kms - they would take no ownership of the problem whatsoever . Now i need a new engine . I would NEVER buy another Mazda , this engine should have been able to go for at least 200,000 kms . Lesson learned - stick with a reliable Toyota product .

@manfred3 said: I would like to comment on the 2.3 engine - lack of oil issue . We have had the car new since day one and has been regularily serviced at the same dealership . The last oil change was less than 3000 kms ago , last week we heard a knocking noise in the engine compartment , when i checked the oil - there was no oil to be checked . Took it to a local garage and they added almost 4 litres of oil , there where no signs of leaks or blue smoke from the tail pipe . Then took it to local mazda dealership - they could not explain the disappearance of almost four litres of oil in less than 3000 kms - they would take no ownership of the problem whatsoever . Now i need a new engine . I would NEVER buy another Mazda , this engine should have been able to go for at least 200,000 kms . Lesson learned - stick with a reliable Toyota product .

I'm thinking it was likely a problem with the service department rather than the car. I had a similar experience about 5 years ago. I had been having my vehicles regularly serviced at the dealership I have been buying cars from since 1979, and they'd always been great. The dealership got sold to new owners and they made some personnel changes in the service department. I had regular service done on my one car that had 150,000+ miles on it and less than a week later it seemed to be running a bit hot and noisy, so I went to a friend's shop and the oil was VERY low. I sort of chalked it up to the possibility that the old car had started to burn oil... UNTIL... I had our brand new car serviced shortly after, and about a week later found the oil level was also VERY low. As I knew the new car wasn't burning oil, the only possibility was either incompetent service or a problem with their oil dispenser. I switched my regular service to my friend's shop, and never had the oil level problem again. The high mileage car made it to 238,000 miles with no oil issues, so I'm pretty sure I figured out the problem correctly.

The dealer's service department lost my trust, so I take that business elsewhere. But I still buy my vehicles there.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,782
    edited January 31

Of course some Mazda owners(like me) resort to that onerous and archaic habit of checking the oil at every fuel stop. The dipstick is there for a reason, you know. At 132,000 miles my MS3 has only required one oil top-up between 7,500 mile oil changes- and that was after a three day HPDE...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

@roadburner said: Of course some Mazda owners(like me) resort to that onerous and archaic habit of checking the oil at every fuel stop. The dipstick is there for a reason, you know. At 132,000 miles my MS3 has only required one oil top-up between 7,500 mile oil changes- and that was after a three day HPDE...

Yea, I'm a dinosaur too. I always pay attention to what my cars are telling me and take note of any changes in how things are operating.

• igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 796

My 2006 MZ3 2.3L spun a bearing at 49,200 miles back in May 2008. The car was only 29 months old! Another 800 miles and it would have been out of warranty. Even under warranty, I had to be VERY direct and firm with the Service Manager and the Regional Service Manager to get the engine replaced. All of my oil changes were performed between 5800 and 7300 miles and I provided the documentation to prove that. Mazda required oil and filter changes every 7500 miles per the manual. They called my mechanic multiple times and grilled him about the brand and weight of oil he used, brand of filter and several other things. It was obvious that they were trying to deny the warranty claim. After three days of stall tactics, I had my attorney draft a letter demanding that they comply with the warranty. They delivered a loaner vehicle to my office and ordered the new engine the same day they got the letter. If it had happened 800 miles later, I wouldn’t have been as fortunate.

124»