Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Engine Issues

Comments

• well you have to take in it and have it tested to isolate the cause. A bad ECT sensor isn't so bad, but a sticking thermostat could be dangerous to your engine's health.
  • i have a 2004 Mazda3 with 40000 miles on it. was driving home stoped at a light. started out then a noise started sounded like a baseball card in the spokes of a bike. it sounds like the noise is coming from the top pulley witch looks to be a fixed pulley. dose anyone know more about this thank you for any help.
  • theres is a reflash to correct this problem there is no part replacement needed the only thing is this is covered by the power train warrenty which is 5 years or 100,000kms (60,000miles) this is a dealer concern. hope this helps
    by mazda tech
  • I am sorry for asking dumb questions here ... I don't know anything about cars.

What is a reflash?

Does this mean there is a power train problem?

Thanks for your help!!!
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    "Reflash" is similar to a reset of your computer. Normally not a big deal.
  • My problem is the oposite. Temp is up to the "red". Took it to Autozone. They sugested to replace the MAFsensor ($170.00). Replaced it, didn't work. Item # 2, Replaced the Coolant Sensor($26.00). Still didn't worked. I'm in the process of replacing the Thermostat ($30) at this very moment. This will be the second time I replaced. First time was at 70k and now I've 92k. More to follow...

Any suggestions?????
    What should I do to ensure the engine hasn't suffer damaged? What signs should I be on the look out for?
  • I had this problem with my Ford ZX2, all you need to do is replace the thermostat and it is realitivly cheap and easy enough to do yourself if you have instructions.
  • But why did u change the spark plug ? was there any issue with it ? if not u should have left it as it is.. however Bosch plugs too are reliable.. i hope it gives no hiccups.
  • 06mazda306mazda3 Posts: 2
    Just looking for some info, today at random the check engine light came one. Other than being a few KMs over the recommended oil change time I can't seem to find a single problem.

I'm pretty handy with cars and have given it a good once over. Everything sounds fine, drives fine and seems to be in sound order.

I was thinking maybe an O2 sensor replacement but other than actually changing it I am not sure how to rule it out along with MAFs and so on.

I'm guessing my best bet will be to bring it and have it scanned but I would like to try and rule out everything I can before resorting to that.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,011
    All you are doing is wasting your time. There is only one way to find out what the problem is, and that is to have the fault codes read- anything else is merely a SWAG. Go to Autozone and they will read the codes for free.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• 06mazda306mazda3 Posts: 2
    As it turns out the car doesn't like being overdue for an oil change. Once that was done it went off but I will keep your suggestion in mind the next time the check engine light comes on.

Thanks!!
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    edited May 2011
    I'm thinking I'm going to have to start believing in the Easter Bunny well before I'm going to believe an overdue oil change caused a check engine light. Something just doesn't add up here.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,626
    Probably a classic case of mixing up correlation with causation; obviously, during the service, something got changed (tightened gas cap? reconnected vacuum line?). Hard to say.
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    In 2012 Mazda is starting the introduction of its Skyactiv system. The Mazda3, Mazda2 and Mazda CX7 are all slated to incorporate elements of the system.

See the Mazda press release: http://www.mazda.com/publicity/release/2011/201105/110518a.html
    I've been following the SkyActiv progress since it was first leaked to the press a year and a half ago (or so); personally I'm waiting for the Mazda3 to appear on our shores with this engine:

http://www.mazda.com/mazdaspirit/skyactiv/engine/skyactiv-d.html

and with this transmission:

http://www.mazda.com/mazdaspirit/skyactiv/transmission/skyactiv-mt.html

:shades:
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Posts: 273
    Just wondering what would be the typical causes of your engine not turning over quickly. Mine takes about 5+ seconds while my neighbour who has the same model and year takes less than 2 seconds after the you turn the key.
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    First thing I'm thinking is battery if the car is cranking slowly. But if you mean that it's turning over fine, but is taking longer to start, that's another matter. With fuel injection, there's no longer any need to have your foot on the gas when you start up. Some of us who are old enough to remember manual chokes on car (yea, I'm in that category) SOMETIMES forget that and lean on the gas as we crank the car. The engines in my Versas are prone to flooding if I do that and crank times are longer than when I just let the fuel injection do what it's supposed to.

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• I have a 2005 Mazda 3,2.3 motor. Was having a similar problem about a month ago. Even though the battery checked out fine from the local AutoZone I put a new one in anyway and the problem went away
  • Hi, I have a Mazda 3 with 70K miles and in the last month it stalled 2X - once on the interstate when my pregnant wife was driving and then 2 days ago in a parking garage.

- No engine code, but all the lights turned on during the stall.

Did you find out the problem? The dealership mentioned water in gas but that does not make a lot of sense to me. it starts up immediately after the stall.