Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier Lexus RX 350 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sgb2003sgb2003 Posts: 44
    I am paying $350 to get the car delivered, but that's included in the 38.7K that I mentioned. Without that and the doc fees the price was $38K. I could've saved the $350 had I wanted to pick up the car, but that was too much hassle for small savings.
  • Can you tell me the exact MSRP. I made a verbal agreement with Westport CT for 39K on an MSRP of 44,090, including delivery and doc,not bad, but I forgot (how did I do that) about the remote starter. They didn't have my car yet, in transit, so they delivered to me a loaner--I'm out a car now because I just sold mine. If you can give me the exact MSRP of yours I'm going to call them and see if they can get me that car instead at your price. Less money and I really want that remote starter.
  • Sorry to hassle you. just down want to speak out of turn when I call the dealer. When you say doc fees, do you mean the DMV fees? Are you paying a grand total of 38.7k (including shipping, dmv, absolutely anything else). Nothing else to pay other than sales tax?? Or do you have to pay for plates and registration on top of the 38.7?
    The exact MSRP is $44233. Given that you already have a loaner from them (which I must say was nice of them because you only have a verbal contract) your negotiating position is weaker. It's a different dealership, so they don't have to match my price.
  • true, but they want to keep customers happy not telling people that they could do much better elsewhere. The loaner was nice but not worth a thousand dollars. I do want to negotiate with them a bit. As they didn't specifically order the car for me, it was on its way in when I first called them, I'm hoping they'll at least give me a different car, the one with remote starter. thanks for your help.
    Doc fees is different from the DMV fees. It is an "administrative" fee that dealers add on for doing the paperwork. It should really be part of their cost but everyone is charging it these days, although the amount varies from the dealer to dealer. So in comparing prices, you should look at price+doc fees (which in my case turns out to be 38.3K, not counting the delivery charge). On top of this I pay 7% sales tax for NJ and title/registration, which would be somewhere between 350 and 400 dollars.
    As I mentioned to someone else earlier, I have an AWD with MSRP of 44.7K (includes remote starter, cross bars and accessory package) reserved with Watertown for 38.5K plus $380 doc fees. If you want you can have it. Delivery is not included.
  • goblue350goblue350 Posts: 1
    Picked up a FWD 2010 RX350...

MSRP $46,653
    Price: $40937

I leased it, so Acquisition fee of $700 was added on top of this price in addition to Doc Prep fee of $45 and DMV electronic fee of $29.
  • slowcarslowcar Posts: 59
    @Sterling McCall. Did not bother looking elsewhere since I pretty much knew the price. Actually I started offering the price I wanted to pay rather than for them to tell me how much they wanted. However, looking back I think I could get it for $200 less but they let me walk at $42K even.....
  • tbartmantbartman Posts: 24
    I didn't believe sqb2003, but it seems he is right.

After reading his post about getting a car from Lexus of Watertown (Massachusetts) and having it shipped to N.J., I e-mailed the dealer last week and got a not-so-good offer by e-mail. I replied to the e-mail on Friday and said "I heard you can do better than that," and while I was out of the office over the weekend they left 5 voice messages! I called them on Monday morning (yesterday) and over the phone they offered me a great deal - much like his - and e-mailed me a pdf of the car VIN and configuration. The MSRP as equipped is $48,259 (I verified it on Edmund's) giving an invoice of roughly ~43k, and they are selling it to me for $41,525. There will be $369 of doc fees, my local sales tax of course (6.5% for Cincinnati, OH), and then I'll do the registration/DMV stuff myself. The shipping company they recommended to me will charge about $700 to ship it to me.

I went to my local dealer armed with this info, and they said they couldn't come close, even with the extra $700 I'm spending to ship it. They felt the $700 was reasonable since they recently shipped one from OH to CA for ~$1200.

I'm still slightly dubious, but they are supposed to fax and then overnight the sales paperwork to me tomorrow (Wednesday) so I'll see if there's a hitch (hidden amounts). Either way, I'll post back once all is done and said. I don't know how they are doing it (neither does my local dealer) but there it is.
    Good for you, tbartman. My local lexus dealers couldn't believe it, either. One of them called me 4 times to go over the numbers with me ( I wouldn't tell him which lexus dealer was selling me the vehicle). Another one is still calling me, and he thinks maybe there is a problem with the vehicle or something. He has offered to run the VIN for me just to make sure. Meanwhile, my papers would be on the way to my house tomorrow and hopefully the vehicle would ship by the end of the week.

The Watertown deal is legit, even though I am eventually not buying from them. If you like, give a call to Ira Lexus also and see if they will do any better.
    I'm just going to go ahead with Watertown since the process is so far along already. I was suspicious and am keeping a wary eye. They sent me the page with the VIN and told me that the car was arriving to them this week from the factory. I was actually able to call Lexus (1-800-255-3987 option 3) and gave the lady the VIN and she told me that the car came off the end of the assembly line on July 7 (6 days ago). That reassured me a lot that a) they were telling the truth, and b) this wasn't a 10-month-old car that's been sitting around or being passed from dealer to dealer for some reason.

Again, I will post again once I see the actual papers that are supposed to come to me tomorrow and let you know if it was all on the up-and-up.
  • tresianatresiana Posts: 3
    Lexus is currently offering a regional lease special for a 2010 RX 350: $469 per month for 36 months based on MSRP of $43,710. $2,939 due at signing. That does not include tax, title, fees, etc. Never done a lease before so I have been searching Edmunds for tips. Also, I can't get the dealership to tell me what the total drive off cost is.

Thanks!
  • firepumpfirepump Posts: 8
    How many miles per year? How many years lease?
    What is a certification allowance. Did Lexus give you the 2.99 interest rate?
    How will I know how much dealers get back?
  • I'm actually looking for the Obsidian. Do you know if that's what they had? I called IRA yesterday and got the "manager" Donny. He'd give me a car for 38K but said only on the truffle mica with parchment interior. Not my coloring. Are you able to give me your salesman name? Do you know who you spoke with at Watertown? Do you think they would meet IRA's price if they had my color?
  • Has anyone checked out any of the other MA dealers, other than IRA and Watertown. There's Herb Chambers, Norwood and Northborough just to name a few in the same general area. Any info?
    myonenickel, the initial spec sheet I got from IRA was for Obsidian, equipped exactly as the one I am buying. Not sure if they have already sold it or if they still have it. I would be happy to give you the name of my salesperson although I am not sure how (maybe you can leave your email address here?). He is on vacation till Friday, though. You might be able to talk to someone else and see if they will match the price I was offered. Same with Watertown - I can give you the name of the salesperson (although they might not be happy with me because I am canceling that deal) but I am not sure if they have the color you are looking for. Chances are that they do because they are a very big dealership and the guy told me they were expecting another 70-80 vehicles.

I did talk to Herb Chambers also, but they didn't have the color I wanted (and didn't seem that interested either - they didn't say if they had one coming in etc etc).
  • When I called IRA I was first told they had the Obsidian but only with parchment. I want black inside, too. Was told they had the trufle mica with black. When I told the salesman, Justin or Jeff (soemthing with a j) what I wanted to pay he had someone named Donny or Tony (accent) call. He said he'd give me the price but only on the trufle mica with parchment, no other color. Watertown offered me the same thing they offered you. Problem there is you're paying close to $600 for options you don't need--cross bars, towing package..I had called IRA last week and got the same Donny/Tony. Can you tell me who your salesperson was?at IRA

I've been calling the same people you have and I know what they are telling you and me but inside I'm a bit concerned that "if it looks too good to be true, it is". Hard to walk away from this pricing.
    myonenickel, the forum rules say no naming specific salespeople here which is why I am reluctant to give you the name here. I would be happy to send it to you via email.

Going through my emails, I discovered that I had made an error. The Obsidian that I got the spec sheet on was from Westport (maybe the car they sold you because it has a black interior and has the 44090 MSRP), and not IRA. So many contacts in a few days, it is hard to keep everything straight. If IRA has agreed to sell you the car for 38K I am sure they will do it for your color also, if they have it or if they have one coming in.
  • me21379me21379 Posts: 18
    10k/year 36 months might be south east regional only
    edited July 2010
    What are the down sides of leasing? What kind of interest rate is Lexus giving on RX350?
  • me21379me21379 Posts: 18
    Anyone have dealings with/comments about Nalley or Hennessy in the Atlanta area?
    I'm also of the "if it's too good to be true, something is up," philosophy, but I can't find it (with Lexus of Watertown). As mentioned, I called Lexus corporate and was assured that the VIN showed the car was fresh out of the factory. Watertown faxed me the contract, and the numbers are right (41525 + 369 for doc fees). That's it - no sneaky numbers in there. And the car has to be what it says it is as long as the car that arrives in my driveway is the VIN they're telling me, right?

They recommended a shipping company, and the company told me it would be $700 to ship and said that they work with Lexus of Watertown "all the time" so that is reassuring also. A search of BBB and other sites shows that this dealer had a lot of complaints about 5 years back, but very good reviews recently and what seems to be a reasonable number of BBB complaints for an auto dealer (and almost all the complaints were about the service dept.)

I'm also figuring that if something does come up (which I'm getting less and less worried about) there's always Lexus corporate to turn to.
  • alanw4alanw4 Posts: 2
    I'm very familiar with Nalley Lexus (both locations) and they have excellent service departments. About 3 weeks ago I inquired about an RX 350 (MSRP = $44,090 and I was able to get $4K off very easy. While I'm still in the market for an RX, I'm waiting to see what they may do later this month. It appears from the recent post's, that people are getting 12% to 13% off MSRP which is very good.

This forum has been an excellent source of information for price guidance. Does anyone know when the 2011's may actually arrive ? I keep hearing Sept, early October !
  • funguy123funguy123 Posts: 94
    They are listed on edmunds.com. If you go to new car and choose Lexus RX 350, you should be able to see if there is any dealers cash back. This is also different for some regions. Currently we don't have any in my region (mid west). But I am thinking they should have something in August (assuming the 2011 will arrive in Sept).
    OK - having a moment of panic here. As you can see from my above posts, I'm about to sign on the car today, but it's a big purchase for me. I did more reading on-line last night, and found some sites where owners were really unhappy with this car. Most of the comments had to do with the way the Nav system worked, the "luxuriousness" or lack thereof (leather vs. plastic parts), and the center console. Some complained of wind noise. Am I making the right decision? Consumer Reports loves the car; editors of various sites love the car; but there are some people out there who feel they made a mistake. Am I? Can anyone help me psychologically?

The way I decided to buy it in the first place is that I wanted a small-ish SUV, then I looked at Consumer Reports repair ratings to narrow the list, and then test drove this, an X3, and an Acura. I liked this one the most (by far). I've only owned 2 Toyotas, both of which I've been very happy with (a Corolla and a Sienna). Maybe I should take the attitude that no car is perfect but you take the bad with the good and there's a lot of good to these (i.e. never being in the shop, lasting a very long time) that are more important than whether or not one piece of trim is leather vs. plastic? Thoughts?
    tbartman, I had exactly the same thoughts. Did the same research and everything, read the reviews, complaints etc. Finally decided I didn't want something as big as an MDX. We liked the car when we test-drove it. We've had a Sienna for 10 yrs and it has been trouble-free. I don't care much for leather/wood trims (I would've preferred not to pay almost 300 dollars for the little piece of leather/wood on the steering wheel and shift knob but they had no cars without that option) and the car is luxurious enough for me. So I've sent in my money, and expect the title etc to show up today. If you've compared the alternatives and you still like this one, then go for it.
  • rick9194rick9194 Posts: 50
    Whats up B-Man

I had the same feelings before I purchased.

I notice that previous Lexus RX owners are the most critical. I guess they were expecting more improvements from previous models. Some even say they liked their older model better. Thats happened to me before on a different make car .... I bought the newer model for big bucks and kind of wished I had kept my old car ... that feeling pasted in time .... I think the big bucks is what gave me temporary buyers remorse.

I read all the complaints in the reviews. Just remember there are thousands that are satisfied for every one thats not. I recently had surgery on my back ... everyone I knew that had back surgery got a bad result .... so I thought. When I started asking around, I figured out, that just wasn't true. The people that had a problem tell everyone they know for the rest of their life .... the ones that had a good result don't talk about it unless you ask.

I'm very sensative to the wind noise. I didn't notice excessive wind noise during the 3 test drives .... and I was listening specifically for that. Thanks goodness the car we bought doesn't have that problem either ... same with the tire noise. The "soft paint" issue .... I don't know. Lexus does use some different paint system, different than some others makes. You don't see the "orange peel" effect on the lexus like you can find on most other brands. The paint looks awesome, we got the starfire or whatever .... white. We do lots of highway driving and get a good many chips anyway .... will that be worst with the Lexus .... I don't know . I think the complaints about the nav are related to limited functionality when in motion ... I think thats a safety thing or possibly a legal thing. I've heard other some other cars are the same way .... I'm not really sure. I guess to much messing with the nav while in motion would be similar to texting and driving. The mouse thing is really cool and easy to use ... thats a feature the wife and I both like.

What else did I read about .... oh yeah ... the soft windshield. I don't believe that one ... all windshields are built to exact federally mandated standards.

Take a long test drive in the actual car you want to buy .... go on the highway ... run it up to 80 for a minute. Be in tune to these reported problems. If the wind noise is excessive drive another and see if its the same ... who knows ... maybe its a fit issue on a fender or something. Anyway ... you get the idea ... check out all the stuff you can prior to giving up the cash .... look the car over real good in the sunlight.

Good luck B man .... my wife loves hers .... its really nice looking. That "soft" paint looks awesome with the "noisey" 19 inch wheels .... my wife is smiling so big I can't tell if I've got a chip on the windshield or not