Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier Lexus RX 350 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• I'm reading alot of entries about getting the elusive 5k off of MSRP. I'm not sure that is the correct way to look at building a deal on these cars and I don't think the conditions are ripe for these deals anymore. Here's why: For my example I will be using a 2010 RX AWD as available right now configurable on the Lexus website in the Northeast.

1. Back in September (I think), Lexus increased the invoice price on the AWD from 33,998 to 34,977 without changing the MSRP. I never did receive a satisfactory explanation as to why.
    2. Per the Lexus website, the available configurations start at MSRP of 43,483 up to 47,910. The invoice range is 39,126 to 42,743, respectively. Factoring in a modest TDA of 600 and then taking out the Holdback (387) and WFR (773) leaves a Net Cost To Dealer of 38,567 to 43,343. This leaves the greatest possible margin between MSRP and Net Dealer Cost at just under 4,600.

The vibe I got from dealers is that they will sell these all day long at invoice plus 1k. Some reluctance under that, and extreme reluctance under invoice, but it can be done.

I hope this helps.
  • 2007s are coming off leases. I'm looking to buy one w/high mileage. Are there any maintenace issues to watch out for??
  • jklossjkloss Posts: 39
    Go to any of the Safro dealerships in Milwaukee - great deals and no problems
  • Hey nosfertoo,

No problem at all, I dealt with Jack B and Harry. Great guys, actually Harry will be delivering my plates tomorrow at my house. By the way I traded the Lexus survey for a Lexus coffee mug. Let them know that you will trade the survey for one of the items (shirt, teddy bear, mug and etc). Harry is the nicest person you will meet. Congrats on the price.

David L
  • I am no expert but that is just a bad deal. 32.5K for cars that already has 31000 miles on it!!!!
    Like you said, you can buy a new re-designed 2010 model for 37K. I would price this car somewhere between $25k - $29k. There is no way in my book it's going even close to $30k.
    You must remember, when you buy new car, it's value goes down very fast in the first year.
  • At tricounty, I jokingly said that I was going to put my experience on Edmunds forum and they might get more queries for a >5K discount. They said they would match all requests. Maybe the 1K invoice increase of September was just a window dressing by Lexus to give their deals more latitude in selling.
  • Could be. But the only way we as outsiders can estimate the cost of the vehicle to the dealer is through invoice price. Perhaps your vehicle was pre September.

I'm glad to hear that you had a good experience with tr-county. I inquired back in Aug for a high discount and once they heard my intentions I never received another communication from them. Timing is everything.

You mentioned in a earlier post that the RX you purchased had remote start. I was not aware that Lexus offered remote start as a factory option. Was it?
  • I am getting a similar offer from tricounty. However they state that they have a $900 charge for fees (dmv which they cannot control included but the remaining amount is much higher than other dealerships). Has this been your same experience

Any feedback would be much appreciated since i am planning to buy the same RX ASAP

Thanks
  • I got the same cold shoulder in the begining but when I mentioned the price came from Edmunds forum they immediately warmed up. It could be that you have to talk to same agent who gave the earlier discount. I also believe, it is the timing. End of quarter and end of month also help.

Almost all the AWD that I test drove at various dealerships had remote start and it is factory installed. Most of FWD cars did not have them. The dealer also said that at the begining of the year Lexus execs and dealerships agree on packages that sell most in their respective regions. Thus, in north east, park assist option is rare but common down south...
  • I dont remember the exact fee structure. I know that they seemed to have a high document preparation fee (think it is $350). Also remember, the bandits and thugs who write NJ laws want you to pay a 4 year vehicle registeration fee up-front for new vehicles (so they can double dip should you sell your vehicle earlier than 4 years).
    Since I am transferring an old registeration and tag I think my out of the door numbers are around 45.6K. Will know exact tomorrow. But with $5625 off MSRP, I wouldn't nit-pick few hundres bucks here or there.
  • Interesting, my experience was exactly the opposite, none of the AWD's I looked at, including the one I bought, had the remote start installed. BTW, it is listed as a POI (port installed option) not factory equipped.
  • Thanks for your feedback
  • OK.
    They charge you 198 for Vehicle protection program which I guess is the etching fee, 279 for document service fee, 19 for credit enquiry and 7.70 for online registeration. These fees ($504) are, I guess their overhead which can be variable depending on dealership. Rest (sales tax, registration, titles, tag) is state based. In other words they are charging you $504 for their services which I guess is variable depending on dealerships. Hope this helps.
  • I think you are right. It does not show up on Edmunds, cars.com pricing structure. Although I read somewhere it adds up to the weight to the vehicle and wonder why it is not a factory option given the mechanism of its operation is complex and they have to cover it under vehicle warranty anyway?
  • rparisrparis Posts: 368
    What was MSRP as $5625 discount is great. Any secrets to your negotiations?
  • MSRP: 47625. Sale price 42K plus tax and tags. No secret to negotiations except reminding them of edmunds form where there are references of such discounts from various dealers and if they can match the discounts. Majority wont match but someone will, especially if you approach them at the end of month, quarter and better still a year. Who knows, someone may do even better between Christmas and New Year!
    You also have to take into consideration that many buyers get a bid from a dealer and then use that to pitch various dealers against one another. Dealers dont like that. So you have to call them and show you are not playing bidding games and be willing to back your offer with a credit card right on phone.
  • I have been quoted $5341 off MSRP - $48,329, down to $42,988. This was in response to my Internet query. Some dealers will not quote me over the phone which is somewhat tiresome since that is why I am seeking out the internet as an option for quotes. I found it refreshing to just get the quote! I think this is a good deal - Yes?
    I also looked at dealer cars - 2010 with 4-6K miles. They wouldn't give me a direct quote, but hinted I could buy them for $40-41K. These are MSRP in the $46-47.7K range. Not the colors I want but I'm tempted by them anyway. What do you think?
  • I was really curious about the difference in invoice pricing around the Sept 09 timeframe so I went back and compared the car I "built" on the Lexus website back in August versus the one I built since Sept. This also reconciles to what the dealers had told me. The later built cars, with the higher invoice price, include the Lexus Enform and Safety Connect features aka Onstar, earlier vehicles don't include this.
  • Are you in North NJ? If so your deal is $988 higher I presume this is with the Nav. If you are out of NJ than I am not sure, but I know a dealer that can sell the same car for $42K with Nav (By the way the salesperson told me that he personally would never buy a Nav and lights for $3K more than the RX without Nav). In any case let us knwo your region. Best of luck $40K for a car with 4-6K miles on it is to much, I am sorry to sound a bit negative, but who are giving you these quotes. Sounds like they are trying to make a buck on you. You should find out what the real price is and what people are paying. Best of luck and happy hunting!
  • I ended up buying the new car instead of going with the dealer cars that were only slightly less $. I got another quote that was almost $1K higher than 42,988 for the 2010 RX350.. It has Nav, Premium, Comfort pkgs along with a bunch of other stuff that I probably don't need, but I do like that parking assist! I am in the Ca. Bay area and bought from Pleasanton Lexus. The other place that had the slightly used 2010's is Magnussen Lexus, Fremont. They would not give me a direct quote without the big "sit down", sales mgrs, etc. and I did not want to do that.Pleasanton was real straight forward and gave me a good quote. I did have a pretty big hiccup with my trade in, but the car seemed to fall apart at the dealership! Sunroof got stuck, power steering stopped, etc. so that was not great, and I almost left, but otherwise a good experience.