Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier Lexus RX 350 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• natwnatw Posts: 2
    I am ready to buy RX350, but need help in the buying process. I am in bay area and seems like Lexus of Serramonte is my best bet. Could you please advise me how to start the negotiation process? Should I get quote from internet site first? Or just walk in the dealer and ask for $1K below invoice price? Are they willing to show you the invoice price? If I need financing, should the price be higher?

Many thanks!! :blush:
  • cb6cb6 Posts: 10
    They were willing to show invoice and even emailed the break down to me. Unlike the past or other dealership, the interest rate was solely dependent on my credit. Putnam Lexus and Serramonte seemed eager to deal at 1k below. I believed 1500 below is not out of the questions.
  • asuhasuh Posts: 1
    Can you tell me which dealer you've gone to? Was it Linsey or Pohanka?
    I am trying to buy one for my parents, exactly same one, and the person gave me $42,150 (it was with the accessory package msrp $255), but I believe the invoice is $41,243 (MSRP $45,570) and you said you've gotten the out the door price for $41500. It's about 1500 under invoice, and if you have some information to share, that would be grateful. Did you just walk in or made the deal before you walk in?
    Any kind of information would be helpful. I hope you read this post.
    Thank you.
  • If he got out the door price of $41500, he paid about $38000 for the car BEFORE tax and license, approx. YIKES !

Out the door usually means with Tax and license, everything. Wonder if he meant BEFORE tax and License ?

Sorry to jump on your string, but I'd like to know also now.
  • Nazz,

Congrats on your new RX350! Sounds like you did very well with the deal. I'm glad Glendale was good to you and I didnt steer you wrong ;) My wife and I are very happy with ours and the folks at Glendale were great.
  • sir200:

A great steer, and certainly worth a little bit of travel, so thanks again.

Happy to help out your California Economy !
  • twicetwice Posts: 4
    My wife & I went back to the dealership yesterday afternoon.

The vehicle has 239 miles in stead of 150mi as posted before.

The sale manager told us that the car was driven from another dealership and offered to take $500 off the previously negotiated price of $41500. On top of that, we got a $1500 incentive for owing an Acura and by financing thru Lexus.

Finally, we decided to buy the vehicle. And the final number is $39500 (before tax, doc., title fee ...) with 60-month finance at 3.99% rate thru Lexus. The MSRP of the vehicle is $45825.

This forum has been a great help for us. Again, thank you everyone for sharing info and opinion.
  • nazzy100nazzy100 Posts: 82
    edited February 2012
    Twice:

Sounds like you did real well. As long as you are happy with the car, all is well.

Never get buyer's remorse, you did a good job. Congrats!

I'm curious where you live, and what town is this dealership in ? That is allowed here. Others may want to go there as it seems they are willing to work with the customers to make a deal.

Can you tell us ?

Nazzy
  • twicetwice Posts: 4
    Hi Nazzy,

I live in Methuen, MA and the dealership is Ira Lexus of Manchester in NH.

In general, I have a good buying experience with them.

Regards,

Twice
  • Hi,
    Does anyone know what's the invoice on a 2012 RX350 AWD with the following options?
    Navigation system
    19" wheels
    Heated and ventilated front seats
    Premium package
    Towing package
    Wood & Leather trimmed streeing wheel
    Accy Package

How much is a fair price?
  • jincajinca Posts: 6
    Hi - this site is outstanding!! Thank you in advance to any contributors.

Here is my story. My lease is up on my 2009 fully loaded (even had DVD) RX 350 in one month. I put $4000 and my monthly payment allowing 15,000 miles per year is $459. The purchase pay off amount is $22,864.77. KBB says good condition trade in value = $26,303 and very good = $27,303. I have been meticulous with maintenance and I think the car is in very good shape.

I have on payment left due on March 1st. I want to negotiate a deal before the last payment as I was told buying a car closer to month end and mid week is the best. Thus, I don't want to be up against the clock and wait until the end of March. Also, Feb is a shorter month. Also I am nervous about my credit situation.

My FICO situation has changed in the last few years. I opted to file Ch 7 bankruptcy (I know, I know I feel guilty - long story, I am a type I diabetic and we lost our health insurance while I was pregnant and we charged up a ton on $ with my high risk pregnancy and hadevery intention of paying it back but it got overwhelming) which was discharged in June, 2011.

I have never ever been late on a lease payment, car payment, mortgage payment or 2nd mortgage payment. My FICO on Experian at the beginning of the month was 682.

The vehicle I am looking at (Serramonte Lexus) is Nebula with gray interior. 18 inch wheels, nav and park assist. He said the vehicle was "fully loaded" but when I inquired about DVD which I am very sad to be giving up, he said no. He told me the MSRP is $49,343 which seems rather high to me and it also seemed like he was making the number up at the time.

I have been trying to review this board about the money factor but I am so confused about how my credit with play in. My questions are as follows (thank you!):
    1. What is a fair price for the car?
    2. What is a fair trade in value?
    3. Are there any other fees I should be aware of other than 1st month payment, security deposit, acquisition fee and cost reduction? Saw those on here by the way.
    4. Would my husband co-sign also having a BK and a similar FICO?
    5. Does the fact that I have a stellar record with Lexus matter?
    6. Mostly importantly, how will my recent BK and FICO score affect me?
    7. The dealer we leased with before offered a loyalty discount and I would consider going back to them (Maggnussen) but they don't have the color I want. I am worried about pulling my credit and how that works. If I have one dealer pull my credit and we can't make a deal, will it be on file at another dealership?
    8. Should I expect to put down a down payment or security deposit?
    So sorry for all the questions. I have been reading this site for months but no one has had my situation. I am feeling sick about this. I could put down a down payment of up to $4500 but would not like to as that would take out a large portion of our savings we are rebuilding. I think that covers it all. LOL. So sorry for so many details but I wanted to give you the full picture. Thanks much.
    Julie in Santa Rosa
    PS - will be near the dealership tomorrow for business. It is about 2 hours from my home thus tomorrow would be the day. Otherwise would plan on showing up unannounced at another dealership on Feb 29th. In the meantime, I have 43,800 miles and want to be careful driving and don't want to go from dealer to dealer. Thanks again.
    Me again. I decided tomorrow is too much of a rush just because I am going to be in the area. I found 2 other identical vehicles at other Bay Area dealers. I will make a move soon so I am still appreciative of any feedback.
  • nit2nit2 Posts: 29
    edited February 2012
    Jinca,

Sorry, I cant speak to trade-in value or the financial aspects.

But if you want to verify the MSRP, ask the dealer to show you the Monroe sticker for that vehicle (sticker will also show the VIN #). Some of the dealers I dealt with during my search emailed a scanned copy even before I put a deposit down or set foot in the dealership.

Also, know that you can get an estimate for what others are paying for a similarly configured vehicle thru AAA.com or thru Edmunds website. At Edmunds, go thru:

Home> New Cars> Lexus> RX 350> 2012 RX 350 SUV> Base Price With Options

It gives you MSRP, a good idea of invoice as well as estimate of what others paid.

Good luck!
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,866
    A reporter is looking to speak with someone who bought a new small luxury SUV (like a X3, Q5 and RX 350) recently. If you are interested in sharing your story, please respond to pr@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, February 29, 2012. Please send your contact info, the name of the make/model you bought and a few examples of models that you also considered.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Thanks so much for the reply despite me posting in the wrong forum : )
    Very helpful.
  • hopshops Posts: 1
    Hi!--

I am looking for a 2012 RX350 for my parents who live near the Knoxville, TN area. I read a post from 3 years ago that mentioned the arrogance/rudeness of the Knoxville dealer. Has anyone recently had a good negotiation with this dealer? Or should I be looking in a different state?

Thanks!
    Hops
  • Vincent:

Can you give us the exact Bottom MSRP number of ONLY the factory window sticker ? MSRP is full suggested retail by the way. Nobody pays that of course, but the mark up is based on that minus invoice. Then we'll have Dealer incentives to try to figure, if we are after real dealer cost of that car. Some of them we know..not all.

And separately, if a separate dealer sticker is on there showing any dealers add -ons ?

Then we can hit it pretty close.
  • Thanks Nazzy,
    The MSRP is $48338. It's a AWD with 19" wheels + Nav. I was told the invoice is $45226. How much would you offer the dealer for this car?

Vincent
    edited February 2012
    That invoice price they told you is nonsense. That's only 6.5 %. A well equipped Rx has at least 12%, without holdback and incentives. Lexus holdback is 2% of the Base Price of the car, and he gets that back from the factory. Always.

If that IS the car you're ready to buy, and, If ,that is the final MSRP from factory sticker, and there are no dealer add-ons, I would offer Him , tops , $43600 plus tax and license. But don't do it until you are ready to buy, right then. Not over the phone, be there. I'd walk out if he says he can't do it. He'll probably stop you or call you at home later. And if he doesn't go to another dealer and see if you find one you want and try again. This is my personal feeling only if i was buying that car.

You can bet he's making a decent profit still with his Holdback % and other dealer/factory incentives only they know. And actual dealer cost is well below that offer.
    Also, keep in mind, Lexus is now doing a national campaign, with 1.9% APR Financing for 60 months on New certain Lexus models, including the RX. That's a good deal In my book.

Tell me again what town you are in ?
  • ab10000ab10000 Posts: 127
    Max offer 42K, this is the going rate based on what I have seen on this posting, especially the car is going to be refreshed in May with new bumper and navigation media system. Dealer here in Northern ca have about 25 RX on lot which are slowly selling and they are begging for business. Be patient and they will call to make a deal.
  • natwnatw Posts: 2
    I am in Northern CA, and looking to buy the exact same car. Talked to several dealers and all of them mentioned price increase for RX350. Car with older invoice are almost sold out and the one with new invoice price is $700-$1000 more depends on the options. Had anyone heard of price increase? And I was told dealers with older invoice car refuse to trade those cars with other dealers.

I was wondering if I should wait for the facelift in May? Since Lexus is likely to reveal the new RX350 in 2 weeks in the auto show, I wonder what will this affect the price of 2012 model? Should I expect the 2013 be more expensive?

Please comment.
  • upashiupashi Posts: 3
    edited March 2012
    I am based in Houston. I contacted 4 local dealers and I am very unhappy the way Lexus dealers are responding. All I need is premium package + Nav (not a must), but they keep pushing cars with a lot of extras I don't need or want. Out of the 4 dealers, 1 did not contact me at all. 1 other is about 2 hours away, but the lady did call me. I told her I need at least 10% off MSRP and she said that she is in car business for 20 years and would not deal with me at that price. (It's below her invoice.?)

I looked at RX350 with premium package, navigation + other extras on Friday with 3rd dealer. (He is closest to my place.) MSRP was $48617. I offered him $44,000 + tax, title. The dealer said that I was offering him below his cost & the best he could do was $46,300 + tax, title. I told him to contact me if he agrees with me and walked out. He did not stop me nor has contacted me yet.

Now I got a call today from another (4th) dealer. (about 1 hour drive from my place). This vehicle is without NAV system. (Premium Package, Towing package, 19" alloy wheels, backup camera, park assist, heated/ventilated seats, wood/leather trimmed steering wheel, Z1, 3T) MSRP is $45,582. I offered him $41,000 He said that he would sell for $42,500. I told him pretty much same thing I told first dealer. He would not commit to $41,000 price on the phone or email. So he said that it would help negotiation if I went to dealership personally, so that he could convince his boss. I told him that I am fine with it if he at least agrees to the price in principle so as not to waste my and his time. He said, he will get back to me.

Based on this experience, did I offer way too less ($44,000) in the first case? Is $41,000 offer good one in second case? Do you think they will agree to 10% off MSRP. I am in no rush to buy the vehicle, but would but immediately if the price is good.

Thanks in advance.
  • dyskdysk Posts: 10
    Houston dealers do not negotiate a lot. Best of luck.

You may want to try Dallas. All the dealers compete there.
    edited March 2012
    From what you said here, it's only been a day or so, with your first dealer. Probably the waiting game right now. Give him another 3-4 days, to see if they contact you. Any good sales person would at least contact you and try to get you to talk some more.You can bet his manager is telling him what to do or not do right now.

Perhaps that first dealer has little inventory ? Sometimes they play real hard when so, hoping for a better offer. If you don't hear from him, I sure would work on the next dealer that calls you back. I really think you made him(first dealer) a good offer, and he has profit still in that offer, PLUS he does get his holdback, and any factory to dealer incentives we don't know about. I'd hang in there and wait a few more days with him, and if he does call , be ready to buy, and at least go back in with your checkbook, and tell him you are ready for your deal, right then.

Also, the week days are usually much slower for dealers, and usually a better time to make your deal than weekends.

These dealers in your area sound like they are not real aggressive as many of us have found out here in the west. Especially the Calif dealers, want to move cars, and seem to be overstocked..always a winner for we buyers.They have large allocations, as they sell so many, with the large population.

Keep in mind here also, that the more options on the car..the more mark up % in it. No matter where the car is.

Also in your favor is the 2013 'Refreshing' RX due out in a few weeks. Just a grill and bumper change..and dealers should want to move the 12's.

And , as another said here, perhaps a trip to Dallas would be worth it if the Houston guys don't decide to work with you.
    I traveled from my state of Arizona to Calif, and got my deal there. I saved almost $2400 by doing so, as the dealers here in AZ don't have the inventory, and are tough to deal with, except one..and he was iffy. Glendale Lexus was terrific for me and a couple others on this forum.

Hope you keep us posted.
  • Nazzy100 was the tax you paid in CA delivery the same as you would have paid in AZ. I live in TN and found the car I wanted in CA at a great price, I wanted to fly out and drive back but would have had to pay CA taxes if delivery is taken in CA. Just curious. No one in my area wants to deal much either. Only two Lexus Dealers in Nashville and they are owned by the same person, no competition.
    Yes, I paid AZ sales tax, and left there with all the proper papers for our MVD here, for Registration and licensing.

I was in and out of our MVD here in 20 minutes with a Plate and the new Registration.

Where in Ca you planning on going ?
    edited March 2012
    Here's something important to consider also:

Lexus made a INVOICE price increase on all cars invoiced sometime during that monthFeb). It was a big one too.

So, it's important for those still trying to buy, to see the actual MSRP sticker, and see when that car was invoiced to the dealer. Get the date. If it is a newer invoice, the discounting will not be what many others here have received. You might notice that most of those great deals, where on cars that were invoiced prior to this increase.

This increase means that the mark up from actual invoice to MSRP is much less than previous. Thus, less discounting will be had. And, Lexus Corp also changed the dealer holdback amount...and this will affect the amounts of discounts.

The problems you might be having with your Houston dealers is they have mostly newer invoiced RX's on the lot now.

This increase by Toyota/Lexus Corp, and others, was done to try to keep the retail prices from going up on their cars too much, and scaring away we buyers. By doing this of course, the sales people and the dealers are left with much less to work with.

Best I can figure is that cars made/invoiced in Feb sometime, have about 9.5 % max markup. And we don't know yet how the holdback has changed.
    Vincent:

See post 4803, for some changes on invoice !
    Vince:

Looks like that car, if a recent invoiced car after this new increase, has a invoice of about $43200, only.

So, How much over invoice do you think it fair for that dealer to get is your decision IF, that has one of the newer invoiced dates I guess.
  • Thanks Nazzy.

I was aware of the invoice increase before I bought the car a week ago. I was able to get one at $1500 below the old invoice. I was told all the RXs come in after 02/08 will have the new invoice (the difference is about $1000-1200). As someone mentioned earlier, the "old" car is scarce now.