Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier Lexus RX 350 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sud23sud23 Posts: 10
    I live in TX and am looking for a 2008 RX 350 with Nav and Black interior. I noticed that in CA, there is a $2000 manufacturer to dealer incentive. How can I take advantage of this and get the best price possible. If MSRP is $43k, I am looking to get a price of $36-$37k + ttl
    A dealer in CA quoted me a price of $37,400 for a Lexus RX350 that has a MSRP of $44,400. This price was given to me without any haggling. How much more do you think I can squeeze out of them? Also, I live in TX, what is the best and cheapest way to ship the car to me?
  • Book a one way flight on SW Airlines. They got good deals right now. Drive the SUV home. You will enjoy it and you will save a lot of money. Just have the dealer pick you up at the air port. I've done it only I bought my cars in your state Texas.
    I considered that but its a 20-30 hour drive..by the time I spend on 1 or 2 hotels and that much gas, it will come out to be like $400-500..shipping is $600-$800
  • I just bought a 2008 RX 350 for a dealer in the NW Suburbs.

Vehicle has everything but the rear DVD system.

Paid $40,500 plus tax, title and license.

Sticker was $45,881.

They are definitely dealing the 2008's as the 2009's are due to arrive any day per the sales person.
  • Retail price doesn't matter. You shouldn't even post it as a basis for determining cost. Goto NADA get the invoice price for the car you want. Tell the dealer you want to pay $1500 below invoice because:

1. Market is low and other dealers will compete for your business (shows him you did your research and are will to go to another dealer)
    2. 09 are coming out now and they need to get rid of 08
    3. There are dealer incentives to get rid of 08
    4. You know they have $750 in dealer holdback and a few hundred in inventory/flooring credits (what ever they call it)
    5. You know they have additional dealer incentive on top of that

That being said, I got my dealer to $1500 below invoice. If you can't do that, you can certainly get $500 below invoice and call it a day. Even AAA and Costco pricing starts at $500 above invoice. So why start retail and negotiate down when you can start at Invoice and go down - makes sense?

one caveat - you may live in an area where the market may not play in your favor. I live in S. Cal.

Also, if the dealer has CPO inventory, there is nothing wrong playing the two departments against each other? For me $7,500 saving between 05 and 08 is worth going CPO.

The Dealer invoice for new 08, premium package was 37,210. Their CPO dept wanted $34,500 for same model but 05 - crazy. You'd be amazed how much mark up is on the used COP car :D

Good luck.
  • I agree, list price is irrelevant.

You negotiate from the invoice price.

I too am interested in buying a 2008 RX, but I want to know if dealers are still getting the $3,000 incentive from Lexus that they got in January.
    The Price that the CA dealer is giving me is $1800 below invoice, however since I live in TX its gonna cost me about $800 to get it sent here. How much more do you think I can bargain it down?
  • bao1bao1 Posts: 30
    Thanks for the info. If you don't mind, would you please let me which dealership you got the car from and whether you dealt with the internet sales team. I want to make my decision soon since the selection of 08 is getting smaller by the day.
    Thanks
  • Unfortunately where I live there is only one Lexus dealer for the whole state. Can you say monopoly. I have bought one Lexus (ES330) from them and will probably buy a RX350 from them this week. They are still a little higher with the 2009 models arriving soon then the border state where I have bought before but I don't won't the hassle of flying to another dealer, pay the costs of inspections,etc. for that state and then have the paper work sent to my states motor vehicle dept. where I buy the tags, taxes, etc. I have done it and saved about $1000 in the past but my local Lexus dealer is now about $600 higher which makes the travel out of state questionable. I have tried the X amount over invoice before and they just laughed at me because they know they have no competition and they can sell the cars for what they want. Now I just wait before the next model year is about to come out and get a half way decent deal, but still not as good as one would get in my neighboring state.
  • We live in western Washington, and are about ready to buy a 2008 RX350 with the nav system and most options other than the rear dvd. We've read about some of the dealer incentives and great deals happening out there ... but what about in our area (Seattle)? Anyone have any shopping experience or know what kind of bottom line price we might negotiate at one of the 3 dealers within 100 miles of us?
  • I purchased from Woodfield Lexus in Schaumburg, IL.

It is our 2nd purchase from this dealership.

I dealt with the internet sales team and I was direct and upfront with them.

Their intitial offer was $42,700. I countered with $40,500 thinking no way would they take that on a sticker price of $45,881 but to my surprise they took it.
  • Congrats on your new purchase.

$40,500 represents the invoice price. They accepted the invoice price because they received an additional $2,000 plus from Lexus to sell 2008 RX's, as the 2009 RX's are arriving.

Enjoy your new wheels.
    I could be wrong but it looks like the 2K incentive is regional and that's why on Edmunds it shows up as a factory to dealer incentive for a California zip code but there is no such incentive in the Chicago area.
  • Hello carlovernj,
    It appears that you have insider information about incentives, such as the 2,000 to sell 2008's. Where do you get this info? Also, my wife and I held off buying a 2008 thinking that the 2009 would be restyled. Now we hear that the 2009 will be the same as the 2008. Any comments on that? Also, I see almost no notes on deals in the DFW or Shreveport areas. I live between the two cities and have bought two Lexus' since 1994. We are driving an almost perfect still 1999 RX. Any information about where to obtain the best deals in DFW or Shreveport.
    chevy789
  • Hi chevy789,

From reading these forums on edmunds.com, I was able to learn of the cash back from Lexus to dealers. I have learned so much from these forums, especially that the 2009 RX is identical to the 2008 RX (except for a few color changes, and the new "pebble beach" edition). I knew this a month or so ago. I know in January, someone in California bought for $2800 under invoice. I had spoken with a dealer in NY, and they confirmed they got incentives too. How much, I don't know. In addition, I don't know what incentives Lexus is providing dealers in Feb to unload the 2008 RX's. I would think that the incentives continued into February, as they need to unload 2008's. The 2009 RX's are currently arriving at dealerships. I personally wanted to lease a 2008 RX, but the cash back incentives to dealers are only on sales of the vehicle, not a lease. The lease price on the 2008, was nothing to write home about. So, if I was to lease, I might get a 2009 RX at some time in the future. Otherwise, I might try to get a good deal purchasing the 2008, if I can get a great price. Let me know how you make out.
  • prazpraz Posts: 163
    Incentives for 08 RX is till 03/31.
  • I met with my Salesmen this morning at Arkansas's only Lexus dealer for the whole state and gave the go ahead to have the RX350 I want shipped in from a out of state dealer. MSRP is $43231 and the dealer wants $40,790, about $1200 over invoice. That's about what they sell their Lexus vehicles for around here as there are no other competitors in state. I was ready to sign a buyers order and give them a deposit but they had to contact the other dealer to see if the one I want is still available. I have not heard a word from the dealer in about 3 hours although my salesman had some errands he had to run after we left the dealership this morning. I had been looking at the Toyota Highlander Sport with specific options and none were to be found anywhere and would have had to be a special order which means I may get have gotten it in a month, 2 months, 6 months or never. Since I have owned 2 Lexus and currently have a 2005 ES330 I know they make great cars. I am all dressed up and no where to go at this point in time. Just waiting for that call.............
  • Great, thanks Praz.

I guess I'll see the end of this month, how much under invoice they can go. At least I know, I have another month to do so if need be.

Thanks again.
  • pschiffepschiffe Posts: 373
    Don't delay too long, although the incentive may last until the end of March, many dealers' stock of 2008 RXs are quickly being depleted. My 2¢.

Pete :)
  • Did you price the car in Dallas or FW? I am interested in how I could do there since I have bought two there.
  • Just wanted to relay the experience I had with a local Toyota dealership and the Lexus dealership. As I drove up to the Toyota dealership the lot was full of young men and women who were dressed in wrinkled white shirts and cheap ties and looked desperate to make some kind of sell. I parked my car and I was swarmed like a stick stuck in a fire ant mound. They wanted to know if they could help me. I told them the name of the salesperson I had talked to over the phone and they looked like they had lost their last friend as they took out their cell phone and called him to let him know I has arrived. The salesperson took me for a test drive and we went inside the building to discuss price and options as if I decided to buy a Toyota it would have to be a Special Order. I was told to have a seat in a cafeteria/arcade like setting. I sat down at a fixed table with small plastic chairs as customer's kids played video games screaming and yelling. There were other people sitting around me eating, smoking and drinking. My salesperson finally brought me a print out of costs and demanded a deposit if I was serious on buying. I got up and left and could not have left any faster unless I ran. The next stop was at the Lexus dealer. I parked my car and there was not anybody on the lot. I walked through some glass doors with brass handles and was met by a very well dressed young lady who asked if she could help me. I told her the salesperson's name and she promptly paged him. She then offered to get me a soft drink, juice or bottled water if I wished. I was met by my salesperson who was dressed very professionally, white shirt, expensive power tie, every hair in place, shined shoes, etc. We took a test drive and then went into a private office that had a lot of mahogany wood and glass. Very quite and we then went over the color/options I wanted. We shook hands and he said he would give me a call as they did not have the RX 350 I wanted on the lot but would have to do a search. I was contacted later and a deal was struck over the phone, no deposit made and I am picking up the Lexus next Wednesday. Quite a difference in two different dealerships even though Lexus is made by Toyota. Also the last Lexus I bought from this dealership sent my wife a vase with flowers and gave us a bottle of wine. We were also sent a nice gold card that had the signature of every employee from the owner down to the car wash boy. I hate to say it but the Lexus dealership does pamper and spoil their customers like no other manufacturer.
  • pt838pt838 Posts: 16
    I was shopping for a RX350 today, I went to the local dealer and was quoted a price of 41,700 for a 2008 RX350 with Navigation. The sticker was about 45,700. I thought it was a nice discount until I started reading on this website about the 2009 RX350 arriving in February. Was the dealer actually trying to sell me a leftover model?
  • sredsred Posts: 1
    I was shopping for Lexus Rx 350 Premium package. I was quoted $35,700 with 3.9% financing.

Is this is agood deal? Thanks
  • pt838pt838 Posts: 16
    It sounds like a better deal than mine, but bear in mind that the 2009's are out so you are buying a leftover. I was not happy that the sales person did not mention the 2009, so I felt he was a little shady.
  • There is no difference between the 2008 and 2009 models but you will pay about $1500-1600 more for the same options on the 2009 due to TMV for the 2009. It is a trade off. Pay more for the same vehicle in a 2009 but the vehicle is one model year newer or save $15-1600 on a 2008 which in my opinion is not a left over but a model that is still in the current calendar year.I am picking up a 2008 model this Wednesday and will enjoy driving it and know that the same vehicle for 2009 will cost somebody $1500 more for the same options that I have. Usually the new model years come out in the fall but since their is no difference between the 2008 and 2009 and rumor has it the 2010 model will have a body change to accomodate a 3'rd row of seats, Lexus is just playing a mind game with the consumer and their pocket book JMHO
  • Congrats on your new wheels, you must be excited.

Please let us know the MSRP for your '08 RX, and the price you paid.

Thanks, and enjoy your beautiful new vehicle.
  • Now that Lexus has lowered their pricing on the RX there is about a $5400 difference from the Canadian pricing vs US pricing. I was definitely going to import a US vechicle when there was a about a $13k difference,and may still do so. The local dealer tells me there is no problem with the warranty on US vechicles, but what they would not honor is their concierge service, loaner cars when the vechicle is in for service, pickup and delivery of the vechicle for scheduled service, car wash when the vechicle is in for service etc. $5400 difference off MSRP is not small change!! I know I would have to buy thru a broker because most dealers will not sell to a Canadian. has anyone had the experience of buying thru a broker, and what prices were you able to get. In Canada most dealers are getting very close to MSRP and before Lexus lowered their prices, local dealer would only discount a max of 5%. Please let me know if anyone has bought thru a broker and if it was a good experience.
    41,700 is too much for a 2008 with Navigation. Just closed a deal on a 2008 AWD model with Nav for 40K + TTL. MSRP was 45,881. With the 2009 models hitting the showroom, there's definitely room to negotiate on the 2008 models.