Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercury Mariner Hybrid

Comments

• waltawalta Posts: 13
    "I took my first test-drive in a 2007 Mariner Hybrid yesterday. It was very nice. I particularly liked backing up under electric power only. The 2008 model will correct two major deficiencies in the previous models: lack of stability control and lack of a DVD navigation system. "

I don't think that the 2008 hybrid model, gets the stability control.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,871
    Here's a link to the Edmunds information page on the mariner hybrid.
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/mercury/marinerhybrid/index.html

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Yes, I believe you're right. There appears to be a problem connecting regenerative braking with the roll stability program. Ford has a patent in this area, but there seems to be a problem with implementing it. The Toyota Highlander Hybrid seems to have it working correctly, though.

I understand that on January 26, Ford/Mercury began production of the 2008 Escape and Mariner.
  • We bought our Ford Escape Hybrid with the same understanding as yourself. We have also had the same brake problem. However our dealer is unable / unwilling to "fix" it. Can you tell me how your brake problem was resolved and which dealer you took it to?

thanks
  • Still battling the bad mileage on my Mariner hybrid. 9 tankfuls now with less than 20 mpg. Something's obviously wrong. Glad some of you are actually getting the mileage advertised so they can't tell me that's just the way it is. Hopefully, they will make me right eventually. They are reviewing my situation currently (I've owned the Mariner for 6 months and alerted them to this problem 5 months ago). I hope no one else is having to go through this.
  • I am still getting awful mileage with the 2007 Mariner Hybrid - usually less than 20 mpg. This weekend got 22-23 on the highway, but that is peak. Heard from Ford/Mercury. They claim no responsibility and will do nothing for me. Very disappointing. Will be going to the media and taking legal action. Anyone have any experience with this? If not, I will let you know how I am doing as it progresses.
  • Try searching the Web for an experienced hybrid drive technician. A lot of repair jobs require knowing a certain "trick" to fix a problem.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,793
    "Try searching the Web for an experienced hybrid drive technician. A lot of repair jobs require knowing a certain "trick" to fix a problem. "

Be sure and report back the results. Even the dealers don't have enough "experienced hybrid drive technicians".
  • transpowertranspower Posts: 185
    Well, I expected you to do the search. But you didn't, so I spent a couple of minutes with Google and found a mechanic who teaches other mechanics about hybrids. His name is Craig Van Batenburg, former owner of Van Batenburg's Garage in Worcester, Mass. Look him up--perhaps he can help you.
  • smrekarsmrekar Posts: 7
    I checked google as well. Mr. Batenburg is no doubt a fine mechanic. However, his sites offer much for sale and no free advice to a non-mechanic as far as I could tell.
    As a regular car buyer from Minnesota, I should not have to try to track down a mechanic in Mass. to solve my problem of awful gas mileage with the 2007 Mercury Mariner Hybrid. Ford/Mercury or the dealer should stand behind their product instead of taking no responsibility and simply using the company line of "Well, gas mileage varies with conditions, drivers blah, blah, blah". When you are getting about 18 and should be getting at least 30, something is obviously wrong.
    Mr. Batenburg travels aroung the country training hybrid mechanics. Perhaps he knows of a good one in your area...
    "Well, I expected you to do the search. But you didn't, so I spent a couple of minutes with Google and found a mechanic who teaches other mechanics about hybrids."

It took you two minutes to find a single mechanic on Google? That means there aren't a lot of them.

Most of the hits were people talking about how they could train mechanics, or the lack of mechanics, etc.
  • wvujebwvujeb Posts: 3
    Before complaining to Ford, why don't you try to figure out why you aren't getting the advertised mileage. Winter fuel mixes contain more ethanol and your mileage will be lower than usual. This applies to all cars. For the hybrid, the engine runs until it gets to 140F and will start back up once it drops below 120F. I would assume its hard to maintain that temperature in Minnesota winters. That is severely going to limit your mileage, especially if you are running the heater. If you don't use good fuel mileage techniques, that's also going to drop your mileage. Its very possible that there is nothing wrong with the car. The combination of all of these things may be the problem.
  • Here are some non profesional photos. It looks pretty nice from the outside, but having read all the posts... I guess looks can be deceiving.

Lincoln Mariner Photos
    First, it's Mercury--not Lincoln. Second, that's a 2007 model. The 2008 model began production on January 26. And I've got one! And it's a heck of a lot better than the 2007 model!!!!!!!!!!
    You are correct. I was not aware of the engine running until it gets to 140F and then starting back up at 125F. This might explain the large decrease in mpg in MN winters. I purposely took the Mariner on a trip to Florida this past week to test it outside of MN. The increase in mileage as I headed south was dramatic. It peaked at 32.4 mpg (on the Mariner's 15 minute mpg screen) on our last day in FL (the air conditioning on seemed to have no affect on the mpg). I am still surprised that the temperature would have that much of an impact - a range from less than 18 mpg in MN to over 32 mpg in FL. I think it's a FL car - I left it there.
    "I think it's a FL car - I left it there."

Is someone available in FL to drive it periodically? Hybrids will go flat battery in about 2 weeks... :sick:
    There is someone available to drive it next week. Thanks for the heads up. What does one do with a flat battery hybrid? Regular battery charger or what?
  • wvujebwvujeb Posts: 3
    Check the owners manual. There is a button that you can press that uses the 12V battery to charge the hybrid battery. It takes about 8 min. If it still won't start, you can try it again. This will probably kill your 12V battery and you will have to get it charged or jumped.

For your MN winters, I have heard of others having success using cardboard to block their radiator. This keeps the engine warm. One guy claimed to have blocked the entire radiator and driving up and down hills on the interstate in temps below 25 kept him in the normal range without overheating. Be careful not to overheat. People have claimed to get about the same mileage as they do in the summer (32 mpg or so).
  • wilcoxwilcox Posts: 581
    :) Consistently receive mileage within the Sticker ranges during all seasons. Based in West Georgia.

Spring weather seems to produce the best(highest) MPG's. I'm certain fall will mirror spring.

No mechanical or electrical problems after 15K miles operation.
    If you are a long-term hybrid owner, our Senior Editor, John O'Dell, would love to hear from you! A short email with your maintenance experiences and concerns would be great. Please send to John at jodell@edmunds.com by close of business Wednesday, August 22, 2007. Be sure and include your Forums username.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Be sure to check out Senior Editor John O'Dell's newest addition to our lineup, the Green Car Advisor for news and commentary on environmental automotive trends and technologies.

Looking forward to all your comments!

• Having decided to give up my Wrangler in favor of a Mercury Mariner Hybrid, I armed myself with a X-Plan PIN number and arrived at my local Stuart, Florida Mercury Dealer. Surprise: they don't sell or maintain Mariner Hybrids.

Went across the street to the Ford Dealer. There were zero Escape Hybrids there, but the sales rep said that I could order one and wait two months for delivery. The sales manager said that 1% of Escape production is the hybrid model.

And one wonders why Ford stock is in the tank?
  • There is someone watching over you, thats whey there were none in stock. Despite I have had no problems with mine except for a recall that took two days to accomplish and the blatant lies from Ford from the get-go. And when I told them I was only getting 20 MPH they told me I was lucky.....

Go here, this is what happened with me (My Website)

http://www.marinerhybrid.net/

Go buy something that does not start with F...
  • May I update this posting with some very encouraging news.

Frustrated at not finding the local Stuart Florida Mercury Dealership in the hybrid business, I sent a note to Ford President Alan Mulally. He not only replied but issued some instructions that resulted in my being able to test drive a Mariner Hybrid this morning. Glad I pursued this, because the car was better than expectations and a tribute to the Ford design and engineering team. I will be a Mariner Hybrid owner as soon as delivery is possible.

John Dixson
  • Hi...

Best of luck.....Can you post where one can write to this person so I can share my Ford frustrations, maybe he can finally make me want to own another Ford product when I am ready to trade. They really did me wrong.

Thanks....

John
  • Having ordered a Mariner Hybrid, I am looking for door sill protectors and have not found them in the usual sites. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    John Dixson
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Ford dealers are independent franchises. Your problems are with the dealer, not with Ford Motor Co..

You stated that the product (Mariner Hybrid) was not the problem.

Sorry about your bad luck, however, it neither adds nor subtracts from the positive and negative aspects of the Mariner Hybrid.
  • Hello

I agree some of the issues were with the dealer, HOWEVER, everything they (the dealer) had said that the Stereo system WAS satellite compatible. I have nothing that says that, HOWEVER, I have in my hand the original sticker from the vehicle which says "Standard Equipment includes AM/FM IN-Dash 6 disk CD/W MP3 and 4 speakers."

Now.....I spent an additional $3795. for the Premium package and only quoting the audio part it says, "NAV/FUEL ECON/ENERGY FLOW/6CD ENERGY AUDIOPHILE & NAV SYSTEM".

It does NOT say that the 6CD player is now under the passenger seat not in the dash, nor does it mention that it does not play MP3's. And all of that for only $3795.00 extra. I saw with my own two eyes what the dealer had paperwork wise on that vehicle and it said that the radio WAS Satellite compatible.

I doubt any of this was intentional but who paid for their screw up....I DID.

So it WAS FORDS Fault, not the dealer.

Then to add insult to injury, they within one year released TWO Model years which took my vehicles value so I was upside down in my loan with them. ALSO they not only fixed the satellite thing but included 6 months free satellite service in the new vehicle...Sounds like admission of guilt to me.

What did they say/do for me......NADA...ZIP.....So, needless to say, I will never again buy another Ford product. They are just like 90% of the politicians, they LIE.....and we as consumers PAY......

If you would like a copy of the original sticker to prove all this I would be happy to scan and send it to you.

John
  • I have a 2008 Mercury Mariner hybrid, loaded, have not had any problems get good gas mileage 32 to 35 depending on hurry.

Here is my problem it is winter here in michigan and my mileage went to crap. Even though the car will go on electric the engine stays idleing.
    Anyone know why, I think there may be some thermostat associated with the motor to keep it warm. any thoughts.

Also for those out there wonder why they are hard to find, I am guess that since the IRS said they were only giving for 65,000 tax credits they will not make more than that