Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercury Mariner Hybrid

Comments

• Incidentally, you may be interested in the region in which I am driving. I am in Texas, a pretty flat part of the state, but I have my air conditioning on the coolest (but lowest) setting virtually at all times.
  • I have a 2007 Mariner Hybrid with a little over 5000 miles and the gas mileage is awful. I have been tracking closely for the last 8 fills and it has been averaging in the low 20s, one tank as low as 17. The dealer and Merc people just shrug their shoulders. Is there anything that can be done?
  • I can squeeze out of it 25 miles to the gallon. Thats really pissing people off behind me as I coast and take off slow. I live in Fl and my a/c is on 95% of the time, but not on the orange position. I ran into someone with an escape and he told me he gets 30, EASY.....Go figure.

My solution which I have not done yet is the LEXUS 400h....

I have had no problems with the mariner except for the initial lies from Ford about Satellite radio, but I HATE the vehicle...Its Noisy and the NAV system totally sucks.

John
  • What is your normal ambient temperature? Is the A/C always on? If so, set it to the lowest temp. region, but keep the fan low. What about your tire air pressure? Try 37 psi.
  • I live in Minnesota. I bought the Mariner Hybrid in August when it was very warm, drove it Sept when I needed neither ac or heater and now in the cold. No difference. I recently had the vehicle in for service and tire pressure checked - all ok. I would not think a slight difference in psi could make a 10 or more mpg difference.
  • wilcoxwilcox Posts: 581
    So far am very pleased with my Sage colored "Whirl-E-Brid".

Bought without the $3,700 "useless" option...no sun roof, etc. Used X plan, paid cash, plus got additional $2,500 incentives.

Plan to claim the nice tax credit soon $$ ;) $$.

Gasoline consumption is about 30.5 miles per gallon. 16" tires. Sometimes higher...sometimes lower.

Last night I paid $1.96/gallon for West Georgia gasoline.
  • OK so i'm about to make the big leap of buying my first new car. I want to by a hybrid but i am unsure of the financial consequences i might face in the future. I have had my eye on the Ford Escape but i have fallen in love with the Mariner's interior. Most everyone I know has advised me against getting a US made automobile, stating that it would always be in need of repairs. I told myself not to listen but after reading some of these statements im having second thoughts. The only thing i want is a reliable compact SUV with good gas mileage and maybe a sun/moon roof. Any advise with supporting evidence?
  • Consumer Reports says that the Mariner has very good reliability, based on surveys from its subscribers. Maintenance intervals are 10000 miles, which is great. The 2008 model will be out any day now and will have a much better navigation system.
  • wilcoxwilcox Posts: 581
    The Escape or Mariner is pretty reliable...I think.

They are both heavy and big for a hybrid. Their design and engineering has been around for a fairly good time.

I feel that in many instances owners care of their vehicles is indirectly proportional to overall reliability. In some instances I feel the amount paid for the car is an indicator of how well the car will be cared for.

Do you ever notice that the low priced units of any make are usually dented-up, exterior unwashed, wheels dirty, windows filthy, and smoke coming out of tail pipe? Those are all indicators of poor operation and maintenance and the reward for this neglect is decreased reliability.

The last Ford that I owned was a 1999 Ford SVT Contour. It had a recall once for something minor...but...overall...it was a extremely reliable vehicle.

The Honda Fit might be a reliable vehicle with great interior room and good gas mileage.

The ford FWD Escape Hybrid gets pretty good mileage. Better than the Mariner Hybrid 4WD.

I'm praying for snow or ice so I can see how our Mariner Hybrid 4 wheel drive handles it. I work at a power plant and we always have to come in to work to keep the juice flowing to everyone.

Good luck with your first new vehicle...
  • waltawalta Posts: 13
    " I realize that advertised mpg estimates are probably a bit off, but 23 instead of the advertised 36 is pretty extreme."

Where does Mercury advertise their hybrid gets 36?

My Mariner Hybrid is rated 32 city/ 29 highway, and I actually get between 30 and 31 in mixed suburban driving.
  • waltawalta Posts: 13
    "I took my first test-drive in a 2007 Mariner Hybrid yesterday. It was very nice. I particularly liked backing up under electric power only. The 2008 model will correct two major deficiencies in the previous models: lack of stability control and lack of a DVD navigation system. "

I don't think that the 2008 hybrid model, gets the stability control.
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,807
    Here's a link to the Edmunds information page on the mariner hybrid.
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/mercury/marinerhybrid/index.html

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• Yes, I believe you're right. There appears to be a problem connecting regenerative braking with the roll stability program. Ford has a patent in this area, but there seems to be a problem with implementing it. The Toyota Highlander Hybrid seems to have it working correctly, though.

I understand that on January 26, Ford/Mercury began production of the 2008 Escape and Mariner.
  • We bought our Ford Escape Hybrid with the same understanding as yourself. We have also had the same brake problem. However our dealer is unable / unwilling to "fix" it. Can you tell me how your brake problem was resolved and which dealer you took it to?

thanks
  • Still battling the bad mileage on my Mariner hybrid. 9 tankfuls now with less than 20 mpg. Something's obviously wrong. Glad some of you are actually getting the mileage advertised so they can't tell me that's just the way it is. Hopefully, they will make me right eventually. They are reviewing my situation currently (I've owned the Mariner for 6 months and alerted them to this problem 5 months ago). I hope no one else is having to go through this.
  • I am still getting awful mileage with the 2007 Mariner Hybrid - usually less than 20 mpg. This weekend got 22-23 on the highway, but that is peak. Heard from Ford/Mercury. They claim no responsibility and will do nothing for me. Very disappointing. Will be going to the media and taking legal action. Anyone have any experience with this? If not, I will let you know how I am doing as it progresses.
  • Try searching the Web for an experienced hybrid drive technician. A lot of repair jobs require knowing a certain "trick" to fix a problem.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    "Try searching the Web for an experienced hybrid drive technician. A lot of repair jobs require knowing a certain "trick" to fix a problem. "

Be sure and report back the results. Even the dealers don't have enough "experienced hybrid drive technicians".
  • transpowertranspower Posts: 182
    Well, I expected you to do the search. But you didn't, so I spent a couple of minutes with Google and found a mechanic who teaches other mechanics about hybrids. His name is Craig Van Batenburg, former owner of Van Batenburg's Garage in Worcester, Mass. Look him up--perhaps he can help you.
  • smrekarsmrekar Posts: 7
    I checked google as well. Mr. Batenburg is no doubt a fine mechanic. However, his sites offer much for sale and no free advice to a non-mechanic as far as I could tell.
    As a regular car buyer from Minnesota, I should not have to try to track down a mechanic in Mass. to solve my problem of awful gas mileage with the 2007 Mercury Mariner Hybrid. Ford/Mercury or the dealer should stand behind their product instead of taking no responsibility and simply using the company line of "Well, gas mileage varies with conditions, drivers blah, blah, blah". When you are getting about 18 and should be getting at least 30, something is obviously wrong.