Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercury Mariner Hybrid

Comments

• stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,732
    "Anyone know why, I think there may be some thermostat associated with the motor to keep it warm. any thoughts. "

This is a common issue with hybrids. The batteries are less efficient in cold weather, and the engine has to keep the catalytic converter heated up. The combination causes the hybrid to perform less efficiently in cold conditions.

"Also for those out there wonder why they are hard to find, I am guess that since the IRS said they were only giving for 65,000 tax credits they will not make more than that"

Not quite. Everyone gets the tax credit until 6 months after Ford sells 60K total hybrids. That means that tens of thousands of people could get the credit. I'm sure Toyota had over 150K people get the credit. The credit goes down after the six months, then further down for another six months, and expires one year after Ford reaches a total of 65K hybrids.
  • Can sombody tell me why Ford didn't include a water temperature and oil pressure indicator on a $30K automobile? :(
  • Sitting after 9 hours since last use. A total loss. Beware!! Well maintained, no warning lights, drove fine 9 hrs before. Fire started in cargo area and flames began out of the battery vent! Beware!!! I loved this car but no more hybrids for us until they have safer battery types! Same as Ford Escapes. Beware!!
  • I hate mine. Wish it would explode. There was a recall on the battery wiring harness, did you have that done? They kept the car for two days on me while doing that.

Consider yourself lucky no one was hurt and go buy a Toyota.

Loved the rental they gave me, a brand new F-150. Would have kept that in a heartbeat.
  • Drove a new MMH home yesterday and got 40.2 mpg according to the onboard computer, which was reset and zeroed out prior to the drive. Perfect conditions for good mileage: temperature at 80F and traffic flow at 40-45 mph for the most part. 25 mile trip.
  • mel352mel352 Posts: 1
    I'm buying a Mercury Mariner Hybrid and Ford/Mercury has this Premium Maintenance Plan. It's Basically 5 or 6 years of prepaid maintenance that saves you about 35%. I know someone else that has it and loves it. Is anyone else familiar with it or have any thoughts about it? Thanks,
  • Hi, I read your post.The dealer even looked it up and said it is Satellite capable....Beware if you want Satellite. Also, the navigation system is very awkward and difficult to use, unlike the system in say their Mountaineer which is great. FORD BLEW IT ON THIS.Have a nice day.. :lemon:

www.protoolshed.com">Auto Body
  • i have a 2008 mercury mariner hybrid 2 wheel drive and the last 4 weeks i have only averaged 21-22 mpg in town which is a BIG drop from the 29-31 mpg i was getting since july. does anyone know why, except the batteries.
    the local ford dealership told me i just have to except it during the cold weather???

i want to hear from other hybrid owners and see what you are getting mpg, i live in lawrence kansas and it has been cold here the last 2 weeks. but average highs are in the 30s normally.
  • yes i just started dealing with the local mercury dealer about my MPG and the general manager for the dealership told me i just have to except the MPG in the winter time. i got up and told him Bull Crap, i can see a drop of a mile or two during the winter time, but not 8-9 mph??
  • Most of the year I obtain 26-32 mpg with my 2008 AWD Mariner Hybrid. However in January the mileage has dropped below 26 to 25 mpg. Your mileage of 21-22 seems very low. I understand the loss in battery efficiency due to cold weather, but your drop is too much. There may be something else going on...
  • I live in South Florida where it does not ever drop below 50 degrees. The highest I have EVER gotten is around 25, it usually sits around 21 - 23 MPH, and this time of year I do not use the a/c and am light on the foot. Its all part of my disappointment with this vehicle. Then Ford says "Oh Well, some do good some don't". I have driven Fords all my life, this Mariner is my last because of their attitude more than anything else. They wonder why they are losing money, its things like this and he original problems when I bought the vehicle. See http://www.marinerhybrid.net/ for that whole story.

John
  • How did you get the address to contact Alan Mulally?
    i have a 2008 mariner hybrid and the last 4 weeks my mpg has dropped from 29-31 to 22-23. the dealership just wants us to except it due to the cold weather, i can see some drop with the weather but not this much.
  • bigtbigt Posts: 412
    Someone said something about gasoline reformation during the winter. My Licoln MKZ has dropped about 3-5 mpg since the winter started.

BTW: Sorry to hear about the Navigation system in the MHH because the Nav in the MKZ is first-rate. You would think they would have shared this across the vehicles since it cost about the same.
  • All gas in the Mid-Atlantic gets reformulated (not reformation) during the winter months to reduce the amount of pollutants, which don't get dispelled as quickly during the cold of winter with standard gasoline. This is required by the EPA. They blend in varying amounts of ethanol, which burns cleaner but reduces you gas milage. Since we just bought our MMH last month, I'm waiting to see how well it does in the spring when things warm up and they change the gas back to a normal formulation, which I think happens in April.

I never saw the Nav system in the MMH 06/07 variants, but it was supposed to be pretty clunky. The Nav system in the 2008's is first rate, except for the annoying fact that the information entry is pretty restricted when you're underway. You can't enter a destination address once you're in drive. What an irritating big-brother kind of restriction!
    JRG
  • cracoviancracovian Posts: 337
    I don't pay attention to "American" cars too often but I thought I'd give this Mercury (or its Ford equivalent) a look. I saw a couple of them on the road but they're nowhere to be found as far as dealer stocks go. I recall they couldn't give the last model away. Are they this hot now or did Ford just go GM's way where they produce a very limited number of alternatives, so they can advertise their other hogs in the green context?

Is my only realistic choice a Toyota which sells a ton but it also seems to keep their dealers well-supplied?
  • fomoconafomocona Posts: 19
    I don't think it's a form of big brother watching. Ford and other manufacturers must consider government guidelines in many design decisions. This is particularly true for navigation system features that may be distracting to drivers while the vehicle is in motion. That's why most if not all the vehicles sold in the US with a factory installed navigation system will not allow destination input while the vehicle is moving. Often pro-active, voluntary compliance avoids even stricter government mandates.
  • I disagree...I think they do it to avoid a lawsuit in case one has an accident while trying to program it. ESPECIALLY if they have the awful 2006 system that I have. That very navigation system is the reason I will NEVER AGAIN EVER own another Ford Product. In addition to not putting a piece of junk into the vehicle, they should make it programmable for the passenger if there is one there, after all they already have a sensor in the seat that deactivates the airbag.

In case its so far back in the strong read this website (Mine) about my Mariner experience. Also I have never gotten over 23 mph in this vehicle and as a 59 year old driver I am very light on the Gas/electric.

http://www.marinerhybrid.net/

I have owned Fords exclusively since I started driving back in the 60's. Their Loss, my next car will be a Lexus.
  • johndix60johndix60 Posts: 21
    It sounds like you did not evaluate the Nav system as part of your test drive checklist on the 2006 mariner Hybrid. Tough to complain about an option whose performance attributes ( negative though they may be ) were in front of you prior to purchase.
  • weibelweibel Posts: 4
    :) I purchased a 2008 Mariner Hybrid and I couldn't be more satisfied with the sat radio and navigation system. Agreed it would be nice if the passenger could program while in motion but to me that is no big deal! i guess you really shouldn't blame anyone but yourself for not taking greater care in choosing before purchasing the vehicle.

Anyway, i love mine!!!
  • baysailorbaysailor Posts: 15
    I also gotta add my vote, and say that the system installed in the 2008 models is very good indeed. My point of comparison is the factory installed model in my 00 BMW, which uses CD (8 for the US & Canada) and isn't nearly as fast in recomputing your position, or as complete in offerings. Only downside of the Ford model is the data-entry lockout when you're underway, which seems to be consistent across several brands, which forces you to pull over. It's not a big deal.
    Cheers,
    JRG