Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercury Mariner Hybrid

Comments

• Ok, I guess I was not real clear on my problems, I'll try and keep it simple and to the point. I bought this car sight unseen because while 300 miles from home the computer in my Lincoln LS fried. Although under warantee they said it would take weeks to get it, then I would have to drive back with the rental they had already given me. I was told by the dealer that the Nav system was the same as in the Mountaineer (First Lie) then 2nd the STICKER on the vehicle which I still have said SATELLITE COMPATIBLE, plus PLAYS MP3's, (LIES BY FORD) I waited hours for the dealship to obtain this vehicle then found out days later after already being disappointed by the AWFUL nav system, that it was indeed NOT SATELLITE compatible (Ford told me this was a printing error). They did buy me an aftermarket sattelite radio but it sounds terrible. Also, this same window sticker said IN DASH 6 CD Player. ANOTHER LIE, the 6 CD player is under the passenger seat.

THEN, the WORST thing they did was to release within 6 months TWO model years of this vehicle correcting all the problems but refusing to do anything for me. They could have put a 2008 nav/sat system in my dash and I would have been happy.

In fairness to Ford, I have not had one problem per se with the vehicle outside of the fact it gets nowhere near the advertised mileage. Their response to that was "Some get good mileage, some do not".

I HATE the vehicle, not because its a bad one, because of the LIES by Ford and the unwillingness to correct some very big screw ups. I would have waited for my Lincolns part had I known I was going to go through all of this. SHAME ON FORD, and they wonder why they are losing customers to foreign vehicles.
  • I dropped by a Ford dealer today to ask about their Escape Hybrid as a poss. replacement for my wife's '01 minivan. A manager told me the one (1) Hybrid on his entire lot was "the last Ford Escape Hybrid in the entire state of Florida". I repeated his answer like I do to my 6 year old after telling an obvious lie... He said that after California's problems (I did not have time to further qualify the "problems" he mentioned), the entire country was shipping Hybrids west. He continued that Toyota had started it and Ford followed suit to protect market share (ever the follower). I still find it hard to believe, hence the reason I'm doing research on them now, and cannot seem to find any dealers with hybrid stock locally. I agree w/ many of the other folks' comments... I'd prefer a Lexus or Toyota, but cannot swing additional $15K to $20K.
  • Ford or a dealer Lie? Nah Never happen.....He must have just overlooked the several that are on the lot at the local Ford Dealer here in Fort Lauderdale (Found them on the net) or the dealer in Delray....Hmmmmm, and a friend of mine that just bought a Toyota Hybrid, bet he got the last Toyota in the state of Florida.

Lawyers, Car Salesmen, Politicians, all of the same cloth. I don't understand WHY they think they have to lie to make a sale.

He should have pointed out the good points about it, such as it dosen't have the crappy Nav system that the 2006 did, and that it now is indeed Satellite compatible.
  • cracoviancracovian Posts: 337
    What I don't understand is why they won't make more of it if it sells so well? Isn't that a foundation of capitalism? Ford Sr. would have been upset :-)
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,024
    A reporter hopes to speak with consumers who want to buy hybrid SUVs that are having a hard time finding them at dealerships and/or are frustrated by dealers marking up the prices on the hybrids. If you are a consumer looking to purchase a hybrid SUV, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Tuesday, March 25, 2008.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• testestestes Posts: 13
    Does the 08 have the same problem as the 06? If the defroster is turned on (control in red) then the ICE will not turn off... I still get 32 in MA with 27000 miles on the Sprout. I have to manually manage the defroster needs.
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 549
    I think it is the same as the 06. However, I suggest you post your concern in the Ford Escape Hybrid area. Probably more respondents there.
  • gwmortgwmort Posts: 22
    Hello, I just bought a 2008 FWD Mercury Mariner. We're very pleased with the car. Dealer stock was very limited here in Delaware, ended up going to a dealership an hour away, which only had one. We traded in a Chrysler Pacifica, losing the third row seats but gaining about 12 mpg in efficiency. Over the first 150 miles our AVERAGE is 31.2 mpg (rural suburban driving).
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    "Does the 08 have the same problem as the 06? If the defroster is turned on (control in red) then the ICE will not turn off... I still get 32 in MA with 27000 miles on the Sprout. I have to manually manage the defroster needs."

That is not a problem, that is the way the FEH / MMH are designed. The A/C compressor has to run when the defrost is selected, and the compressor requires the ICE to operate. Using either of the two "orange" HVAC selections is the same as turning on A/C without ECON.
  • darvv1ndarvv1n Posts: 5
    Car salesmen do not lie near as much as buyers do. There is a saying in the car business, "buyers are liars" 95 percent of the time they are trying to bite off more than they can choose. Oh i have to go talk to the wife, oh we will be back, here is my phone number (oops they gave us the wrong number), I will do business today at those numbers, then they leave!! the list is countless. I have been doing this for 5 years and there is no need to lie to sell a car. the truth will find its way out in the end. if you are honest to them and treat them right they will come back and buy more and more cars. which my customer's do. but for the ones i don't sell. its because they have lied or try to purchase a vehicle thats not in their budget and are insecure to say that they can't afford it. Or they say they have perfect credit and have a 393 beacon score. who are the liars now? :P
    I tend to buy new cars (and most recently the '08 Sienna) from honest sellers which is relatively easy to detect for a person who does their homework and knows a bit about cars. The guy who sold us the car wasn't pushy, was patient, was aware of the limitations in his knowledge, and backed the sale up with an attractive price on the first try.

To stay on topic though, how come these Mariners are so hard to come by? I would have probably bought one instead of my Sienna if there had been any in stock... Is Mercury losing money on these or does it have limited electric powertrain production capacity or something? There are plenty of regular versions in stock, so what's stopping them from switching over to the hybrids that everyone wants? Does anyone have any insight?
  • transpowertranspower Posts: 182
    I understand that the scarcity is due to lack of hybrid battery supplies. I got my 2008 MMH in March of 2007, when they first came out, so I lucked out.
    There's a good article on thecarconnection.com covering the scarcity of hybrids in general. Aside from capacity and battery shortage challenges, Ford doesn't want to increase its production numbers (they're at the same level as last year) since the SUV is apparently not economically justified (meaning they lose $$$ on each sale.)
  • dmbfloridadmbflorida Posts: 38
    When I had my 2004 Prius, the Forums I belonged to frequently gave the names of salespersons at dealerships who would sell the Prius extended maintenance/warranty contracts at greatly reduced prices. These contracts were totally honored at dealerships in the U.S. Has anyone found a similar reference for buying a Ford hybrid Escape extended maintenance/warranty at a discounted price?.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Simple.

Don't buy the extended warranty from the selling dealer.

Go to a finance person at a different dealer, even different marque, and negotiate a deal for an extended warranty. I have often bought Toyota warranties for Fords and vice versa often at half the price quoted by the selling dealer.
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    Ford REALLY needs to move some iron and offers employee pricing and 0% financing combined on 9 models and does NOT include the 2009 Mariner hybrid in that group.
    Kind of makes you wonder what direction they want to move in :confuse:

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• Have been very interested in FEH and MMH for several years, but the costs kept me away, although I realize in many cases they don't make a lot of sense financially anyway. I know someone who is a rural mail carrier that bought a used one (not sure the year) and loves it. New ones are nowhere to be found in the region. An area dealer has '08 Mariner on his lot. 7900 miles, not top of the line with few options, 4WD/AWD. Asking $25100. Does that price seem about right? We are talking about at $5K difference. Salesperson said it was traded in because the people couldn't afford payments on it, and bought a Focus. Of course I have no idea if he is lying or not (Sorry sales people). Seems like a lot especially now with the reg. FE and MM with special current incentives in low $20s new comparably equiped.
    What should I look for OR look out for in a used one? I have read a lot here about problems in winter. I am in WI. It is in garage at night and when not used. I have 2 vehicles. Also, how long (days) can it sit without being run? I use my Ranger mostly in winter. Are some quirks showing up in the '08s? Any years to avoid or look out for? Should I ask for a CARFAX report? Contact previous owner? Escape VS. Mariner. Any important differences good or bad I should be aware of?
    Would appreciate advice or info that might help me get a good vehicle at a good price.
    Maybe it would be better to wait for the new Fusion and Milan hybrids. But any idea of the projected price of them? I understand their will be significant differences in the hybrid system. Salesperson said they should start to show up in first quarter of '09.
    Thanks anyone/everyone!
  • I have an 08 MMH with 20 kmi and love it. We paid ~33K and thought we got the best deal we could back in Feb when gas prices were $3.30/gal, and dealers were selling all they could get before the came off the truck. The price seems a bit high, but since its used, and the dealer has had it a while, he might be willing to negotiate since gas prices are way down. I don't know the current Blue Book value, but the math sez that a $5K difference will take >150 kmi to recoup. I expect that the sale of hybrids has slacked off somewhat (maybe not as much as all cars in general.) On the coasts the demand is still high. We have had no problems with the car (zero) in 11 months, and the mileage (when warmer) has been better than advertised

There have been few problems with winter weather and hybrids other than the change in gas mileage. Hybrid mileage is affected by cold weather, more so than regular cars, just browse thru the message boards and you'll see why. The gas engine spends more time on charging the battery and warming the driver, and the gas that is uses (if has more ethanol) gets worse mileage - our mileage varied by ~20% between summer and winter. If you do short runs where the battery never kicks in, the mileage is really affected. For the vehicle you're looking at, your discharge rate should be relatively slow, and keep in mind the high voltage battery and the standard 12 V battery are connected, so the battery should take a long to discharge. I would think if you drove it once every other week you won't have a problem.

There a virtually no differences between FEH and MMH except for trim. Exactly the same powerplant and drive train, and same options on the inside. I would certainly ask for a Carfax report and if you're serious, set up an appointment at another dealer who has a hybrid-trained technician and give it a once over.

In my opinion, It's hard to make a case for a hybrid with gas prices 12 years. But I think that in 18 months, gas prices will be back over $2.50 a gallon and you can make the case for using a hybrid. A really good case when the price goes over $3.50/gallon.

I personally would wait. A lot of really good technology should be out in 2 years - much better batteries, extending the range, and better, more efficient engines that can extend the basic mileage.

Cheers
  • thanks for the info. Might be best to wait a couple years and look for a used '09 Mariner Hybrid which I understand has some improved features over the '08. The dealership seems very firm on the used '08 mariner at $25K. Being so cold here in winter a Hybird might not be the best choice.
    Thanks again.
  • n130kn130k Posts: 1
    I bought a Mariner Hybrid in August unwillingly talked into it by my wife and son and had to trade in my Chevy Trailblazer in favour of better fuel efficiency.
    Well my new Mariner is crap. Poorly appointed for all the money spent on it and since the day I got it it has some sort of transmission problem that cant be rectified. This vehicle sucks the big one I hate it = piece of crap so dont buy one. I wish I had never agreed to stop at the dealership. I should divorce my wife out of spite for making me buy this P.O.S.