Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma Engine Questions

Comments

• I Bought my 2007 Tacoma w/300 miles, also with the new 4.0L I did my first oil change at 1000 miles the another at 4000. When I pulled the oil cap I notice moisture, I then glanced at my coolant reserve tank and notice it was empty. There was normal pressure in the coolant system and was full. I filled the bottle back up,I did an oil change at 7000k everything looked fine. I asked a Technician about it he told me sometimes a new motor can eat up a little coolant, be it any new engine not just toyota. But, He did say just keep an eye on it.
  • I Bought my 2007 Tacoma w/300 miles, also with the new 4.0L I did my first oil change at 1000 miles the another at 4000. When I pulled the oil cap I notice moisture, I then glanced at my coolant reserve tank and notice it was empty. There was normal pressure in the coolant system and was full. I filled the bottle back up,I did an oil change at 7000k everything looked fine. I asked a Technician about it he told me sometimes a new motor can eat up a little coolant, be it any new engine not just Toyota. But, He did say just keep an eye on it.
  • jpresjpres Posts: 2
    I am trying to do a tune up on my 1999 Tacoma Pre-Runner and I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I could find info onhowto do this.
  • bubba31bubba31 Posts: 1
    Hello All Am New To This Forum And Have A Question.In Hot Weather If Am Driving Around And Turn Off My Ignition Then Return To Start Up My Truck Will Not Turn Over ....Take's Like 3-5 Sec To Start.It's Been Like That For 2yrs Only Happens When The Outside Temp Is Over 80 Deg....In The Winter It Fires Right Up. Any Suggestion's Would Gladly Be Appriciated.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Posts: 288
    It doesn't turn over or it doesn't fire up? These are two different things.
  • taco1999taco1999 Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4 with a 3.4 Liter V6 engine. It has about 84,000 miles on it. I recently checked the compression on each cylinder. The results were 1-220PSI, 2-210PSI, 3-210PSI, 4-210PSI, 5-200PSI, 6-220PSI. Should I be alarmed with cylinder 5 being 200PSI? I talked to a friend of mine who said that this was good compression. I am just double checking. This engine burns no oil.
  • I read on the official Toyota site that the 2.4 and 2.7 engines are 4 cyl and the 3.4 is a v-6. There are 2 listings in Austin, TX for used Tacomas with 2.7 engines and they claim that they are v-6's. What am I missing? They are both automatic trans.
  • why interduce hot air into the intake most after market systems are a waste of money and only rob engine of power.
  • i put permatex on every gasket i install except head gaskets.

if i put it on the head gasket, would that be a bad thing? would it not withstand the pressure over time?
  • tc07tc07 Posts: 10
    Better get it back to the dealer ...the block may be cracked or the head gasket blown. Good thing it is under warranty! Good luck!
  • I am on the market for a slightly used Tacoma, but I am not sure of the preference of engine size. From what I understand, the 4 cyl. engines are alot better this days. Any comments from your experience from owning a Tacoma with a 4 cyl. would be appreciated.
    Jack
  • i have a 1993 toyota pickup with a 4 cylinder and i want to put a new engine in it because simply its the slowest vehicle i have ever owned i was wandering if i could put a bigger newer engine like a 4.0l v6 toyota or ford but i dont know if i can
    thank you for the replys
  • I HAVE A 1996 TECOMA WITH THE 2.4 MOTOR 5-SPEED. THE TRUCK HAS 134000 MILES. I JUST RETURNED FROM LIVING IN MEXICO FOR 3 YEARS. MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON ON THE WAY BACK. I TOOK THE TRUCK TO AUTOZONE FOR A SCAN AND THE COMPUTER SPIT OUT THE CODE PO171 THE CODE CHART SAYS O2 SENSOR OR IGNITION MISFIRE-REPAIR OR FUEL INJECTION PROBLEM. ABOUT 3 MONTHS AGO I REPLACED THE GAS FILTER, SPARKPLUGS, PLUG WIRES, AND DIST CAP. I JUST REPLACED THE O2 SENSOR. I RESET THE CODE THEN IT CAME BACK ON. THE ENGINE WHEN FIRST STARTED FEELS LIKE NORMAL BUT WHEN U ACCELERATE THE MOTOR FEELS LIKE THE CHOKE IS NOT SET RIGHT BUT WHEN WARMS UP THAT IS NO PROBLEM. THE OTHER PROBLEM IS THE MOTOR DOES NOT WANT TO RUN PAST ABOUT 3200 RPM. I'M NOT SURE WHAT IS GOING ON WITH IT IF SOMEONE KNOWS OF THIS PROBLEM IT WOULD BE SOOO HELPFUL THANKS. :confuse:
  • I have Tacoma with a 6 cylinder. When I take off first thing in the morning or after it sits awhile, it bogs down when I push the gas. After a few minutes it is fine. Is this a fuel injection issue?
  • I just rebuild this motor and been chasing new electric problems with this truck. I know it is a senser but what one and were to find it is my question.
  • bought 2003 Toyo Tacoma 5spd manul tx 4 cyl 2.4 engine...no manual need oil specs for truck which to use how much...also bought bosch plat + vs NGK....novice to replace OR take to mechanic...plugs on top or side of engine.. any thoughts..any other things to watch on this truck?
  • leleuleleu Posts: 3
    My 2000 Toyota Tacoma is running rough on idle. The engine light is on and I get code 300 random/multiple misfire, and 302, number 2 cylinder misfire. I replaced the spark plugs, and swaped the electronic coils in between the spark plugs, but still get the same codes. Can anyone help please?
  • DTC 171 FUEL TRIM TOO LEAN,USING A TOYOTA SCAN TOOL. WE ARE SHOWING THE LONG TERM TRIM AT 39% AND SHORT TERM AT17%. CHECKED FOR AIR LEAKS,OXY.SENSOR,MASS AIR FLOW,AND COOLANT TEMP.SENSOR,ALL IN NORMAL RANGE. WHAT IS CAUSING THE LONG TERM TRIM TO BE HIGH?
  • leleuleleu Posts: 3
    Hi everyone, I solved my problem with the #2 cylinder misfire on my 2000 tacoma 4cyl./2.4L and the code that i always got, PO 302 and PO 300. I was missing the ground cable from the battery to the body of the truck. Now I have a compression problem on #2 cylinder, I only get 90 psi where #1, #3, and #4 have 120 psi. I removed the fuel injectors and lubed the O-rings and increased the psi to 150 on #1, #3, and #4 but it lowered it on #2 to 80 psi, also swapped #1 and #2 injectors. Anyone has any input on how to improve compression or what to check? Appreciate the help.
  • xunehxuneh Posts: 1
    I know it's a little late, but I just found this forum while looking for an answer to my own problem. (random missfire) Anyways, I went though the same thing about a year ago. You've got a stuck valve in your #2 cyl..
    Have fun pulling the head, then take it to machine shop and have them do a valve job.
    If you do find this to be the problem let me know, it could be a problem with the head casting, something that Toyota might be willing to adress. Anyone else with this problem (#2 Cyl. only) please let me know.
    2000 Tacoma 2.4 312k and still going strong.
  • kwh572kwh572 Posts: 1
    I have trouble getting my truck to start when the weather is hot (above 90) and when I add gas to it. I put a scanner on it and the code came up as "po441" which is something about the EVAP system purge flow fault. Any other time it starts right up. Even when I do have trouble starting it, it will run fine after it gets going. Looking for solutions.
  • When I first start the engine in am. the idle races to 2000 rpms before settling down to 1000 (which seems normal)) I have had it in for service to no avail. It just does it after sitting for 6 hours or more--any advice???
  • I just rebuilt my 2.7 liter toyota tacoma 4x4 motor and my truck dies every time I turn it on and let it idle. If i turn it on and drive it right away it does't die at all it runs fine. My responce is... is this whats happening to your truck cause i cant figure out why mine is doing this i replaced the crank positon censor replaced my computer and still dies. have you tried doind that?
  • troy18troy18 Posts: 1
    i have read many !!! posts about this drivers side engine tick not one has the answer to what it is does anyone know what is making the noise
  • i have 98 4cyl tacoma, check eng light just came on, running very rough, has new plugs,wires,air filter....do i have to take it to a dealer to read the check eng codes or can i do that at home to make cheaper repairs myself...
  • I also have a 2006 tacoma 2.7L manual shift that does the same thing on cold starts, it revs up to about 2500 rpms for about 20 seconds before idling down.
    my truck also revs up to about 2500---3000 rpms when shifting from 4th to 5th gear for about 5---8 seconds before idling back down, I think it is a vacum problem but I have not yet figured out how to correct the problem do you also have this issue?