Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma Engine Questions

Comments

• fritz2fritz2 Posts: 2
    1997 tacoma 2.7L. The bolt and pin that holds the chain sprocket on to the camshaft has broken twice. Is there any history on this. Seems to be a stretch bolt and hardened pin.
  • Anyone noticed that the 4.0 V-6 calls for less oil than the 2.7 I-4, even though it's a full 1.3 liters larger. Could this compromise durability in the V-6? I know that on the older Toyota trucks, the I-4s always lasted longer.What gives? Comments?
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Can't go by displacement alone to determine oil needs. You also have to see how the engine uses the oil - it may be providing lube and/or cooling for other components in the 2.7.

Heck, if it was just displacement, my 5.9L Cummins diesel shouldn't need 13 quarts when the 6.1L Hemi uses about half as much (7 quarts).

Need help navigating? kcram@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I have a 2003 Tacoma 4x4 4dr. All of a sudden the throttle pedal was not very responsive and the engine light came on. I had to really press down on it to get the car to respond. I immediately brought it to the repair shop.

They said they had to "remove excessive dirt and carbon from the throttle body". They said it seems to have fixed it, but if the engine light comes on again - they will have to "replace throttle actuator control unit for $1,335". And that I should be using high octane gas.

That doesn't sound right to me. Am I being unnecessarily suspicious?
  • I have a 96 tacoma V6. The check engine light just came on. I went to a car parts store and they told me it was a cylinder 2 misfire. I am going to change the spark plug but I don't have a manual so I don't know which is cylinder 2. Any help would be great. Thanks
  • My 4 door doesn't like me to fill it up...it accepts fuel very slowly and can take upwards of 30 minutes to fill the tank. HELP?
  • tony57tony57 Posts: 2
    My 2005 Tacoma with 40k has a white milky build-up on the oil fill cap. I think it’s a head gasket problem, but the dealer claims it normal on the V6.
    Has anyone experienced this issue?
  • eaglegeagleg Posts: 87
    I've seen the same thing on my 2005 since first oil change. I think it's just condensation in the oil. Hopefully it's nothing.
  • I Bought my 2007 Tacoma w/300 miles, also with the new 4.0L I did my first oil change at 1000 miles the another at 4000. When I pulled the oil cap I notice moisture, I then glanced at my coolant reserve tank and notice it was empty. There was normal pressure in the coolant system and was full. I filled the bottle back up,I did an oil change at 7000k everything looked fine. I asked a Technician about it he told me sometimes a new motor can eat up a little coolant, be it any new engine not just toyota. But, He did say just keep an eye on it.
  • I Bought my 2007 Tacoma w/300 miles, also with the new 4.0L I did my first oil change at 1000 miles the another at 4000. When I pulled the oil cap I notice moisture, I then glanced at my coolant reserve tank and notice it was empty. There was normal pressure in the coolant system and was full. I filled the bottle back up,I did an oil change at 7000k everything looked fine. I asked a Technician about it he told me sometimes a new motor can eat up a little coolant, be it any new engine not just Toyota. But, He did say just keep an eye on it.
  • jpresjpres Posts: 2
    I am trying to do a tune up on my 1999 Tacoma Pre-Runner and I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I could find info onhowto do this.
  • bubba31bubba31 Posts: 1
    Hello All Am New To This Forum And Have A Question.In Hot Weather If Am Driving Around And Turn Off My Ignition Then Return To Start Up My Truck Will Not Turn Over ....Take's Like 3-5 Sec To Start.It's Been Like That For 2yrs Only Happens When The Outside Temp Is Over 80 Deg....In The Winter It Fires Right Up. Any Suggestion's Would Gladly Be Appriciated.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Posts: 288
    It doesn't turn over or it doesn't fire up? These are two different things.
  • taco1999taco1999 Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4 with a 3.4 Liter V6 engine. It has about 84,000 miles on it. I recently checked the compression on each cylinder. The results were 1-220PSI, 2-210PSI, 3-210PSI, 4-210PSI, 5-200PSI, 6-220PSI. Should I be alarmed with cylinder 5 being 200PSI? I talked to a friend of mine who said that this was good compression. I am just double checking. This engine burns no oil.