Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Audio and Entertainment System Questions

Comments

• shyguyshyguy Member Posts: 1
    I have a Neo Prolink iPod adapter for my 2005 Mazda 3 Sport. It was working for a while, but now it makes a loud clicking sound. It makes the sound when I plug the iPod in, but not when there is nothing plugged into it. It makes the sound with several different iPods, so it doesn’t seem to be a problem with the iPod. I think I had occasionally heard the clicking sound before, but now it is all the time. It makes the sound regardless of the settings on the Neo Prolink (advanced vs direct mode). Does anyone have any idea how I might fix this?
  • ppselfppself Member Posts: 1
    i bought one of those for my mazda3, its not the same brand but was cheaper than the one advertised on tha tsite. But it does work with steering controls or at least the one i had did . now i got a after market cd player that has its own ipod hook up but unfortanately it doesnt work with the steering controls but i do have a remote by my shifter which is easier to control while im driving a stick imo. considering this is a old thread you prolly have installed it already and know all of this.
  • waltjwaltj Member Posts: 1
    do i have to do anything special to activate the aux plug in. i got one of the cables with the 3.5 mm plug in and car charger and all that. but the media button doesnt pick it up. am i or did i do something wrong. the vehicle came with sirius radio although i did not activate it, does this hvve anythingto do with it. i really dont want to deal with the dealership at all
  • bterrienbterrien Member Posts: 1
    To get your aux input to work, you have to get a splitter for your HU. The other option is to remove your sirius equipment and plug in the wire for the Aux input (they both use the same plug). If you decide to remove your sirius equipment, I will purchase it.
  • wrathchildtechwrathchildtech Member Posts: 3
    Serious, just add an aftermarket unit in it and save yourself the trouble...

This is what I put in mine.
    The CDX-GT610Ui CD receiver with auxiliary, USB, and iPod inputs, so it's ready to play music from nearly any kind of portable source.

Go to installer.com to find out what dash kit and harness you need... its really a no brainer.
  • vtbrianvtbrian Member Posts: 7
    Recently picked up my 08 5 door GT w/ the bose package. I'm using my ipod via the aux jack in the center console...and experiencing pretty bad static through the speakers.
    I was kind of surprised, I dont get any static through the ipod when using headphones, and AM getting static now over the speakers with the cord plugged into the very same jack in the ipod... is this common? i'm pretty disappointed...
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    is this common? i'm pretty disappointed...

Are you charging the iPod while you are listening? That's the only time I hear any noise when using the AUX input. Have you tried using another patch cord?

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• monkeyboy6monkeyboy6 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with mine. it happens whether i'm attached through the charger or the jack on top of my ipod. however, it does come and go, almost as if it wants to change with the weather and then drive me crazy. any other ideas?
  • robbzillarobbzilla Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like you need a ground loop isolator.

(For example: http://www.amazon.com/Xitel-GLI1-X1-Ground-Loop-Isolator/dp/B00023XDYA)

There ARE 3.5 pluz g models available, but they're harder to find.
  • chickenlipschickenlips Member Posts: 16
    My 2008 Mazda3 sTouring has ALC - Automatic Level Control that adjusts the radio volume according to vehicle speed. I've had it on all settings and I notice no difference. Anyone else experience this?
  • dmcg113dmcg113 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if there is any way to automatically scroll through station, artist, and title without manually clicking the button and scrolling to see more characters?
  • zzoomp09zzoomp09 Member Posts: 32
    I'm noticing mine now. When I bought the car, I had the same issue. What I've noticed was that the audio starts to go louder when I hit 25mph or 3rd gear, whichever is first (I have a stick). Then goes louder again at 50mph, or 5th gear, whichever is first again.
  • gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    Our MZ3 Grand Touring will come with the BOSE audio option with 6-CD changer, but the salesman was a bit vague about whether this combo will play MP3 CDs (as opposed to standard audio CDs). There is a separate option for a changer that supports MP3, but it doesn't appear to be quite the same as what comes with the BOSE package.

Anyone know if MP3 CDs will play in the BOSE package CD changer?
    Anyone know if MP3 CDs will play in the BOSE package CD changer?

According to this official Mazda document, all Mazda 3s built in 1/08 or later will have CD players that will play MP3s. If yours doesn't you can buy a factory changer to replace it for @$500. It's really irritating that MP3 capability wasn't standard from the get-go.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    Unless I'm mistaken, I think my i touring (built 09/2007) has MP3 capability. I'll have to try.

I'm more interested in the i touring value package described above. I will admit that the leather steering wheel and shift knob and color-keyed grill would have been nice to have. I think I prefer 16" tires for comfort and tread life, and I like the woodgrain trim rather than "piano black". Just a little bit of color is nice. But I would have wanted those other additions. I wonder how much they price will change? For only a couple hundred bucks it would have been worth it. Ain't that just the way it goes, as soon as you get your new toy, they come out with the latest version to make you jealous...

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the leather steering wheel cover and shift knob aftermarket? Honda sells it for only $75. I would really enjoy that if it's available at all.
    That's weird. Why would they make so many changes midway thru the '08 model year when they are going to come out with an all-new car (or at least major makeover) for 2009?

I'd like to find out more about this, not only because of the MP3 compatibility, but because they also mention the power seat standard in the Grand Touring model. If this is the way they're going to go for what they bring into the U.S., we might wait to get one that's built after Jan. 1. Of course, it looks like that would also mean picking another color, since both Phantom Purple and Phantom Blue are being dropped!
    Roadburner, since the info in that sheet that you posted may have a serious impact on my car buying plans, I'd like to confirm that these are world-wide, or at least U.S.-specific changes, and that I'm not looking at changes for the Australian market or something ;) . I see that you're U.S.-based, so can I assume that this will apply to cars imported into this country?
    I obtained the information from a Mazda-specific board that is based in the US. As far as I know, the changes apply to US cars. Note that the document refers to the "Mazdaspeed3". In Europe and Australia the car is called the "MPS 3".

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    This is similar to what Mazda did for 2007 and 2008 with the Mazda6--added a "value edition". Since the Mazda6 is all-new for 2009 MY (2008 CY), it's probable we won't see a redesigned Mazda3 until 2010 MY (2009 CY). That timing is reinforced by Mazda making this change for 2008 on the Mazda3.
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    That's what I'm hoping - the redesign comes in CY '09 for MY '10. I just bought an '08 and would hate to see it outdated so soon. Same thing happened when we bought our 2005 Yukon. Redesigned '07's came out the following spring. I actually prefer our '05 for a number of reasons, but to the casual observer it might as well be 8 years old, not just over 2.
    Thanks. You have no idea what it means to us to be able to get everything we want on this particular car. Our three concerns with the current '08 were: no power seat, no guaranteed MP3 compatibility, and we were not wild about the color choice. We could have lived with it, but our dealer just verified these changes, and tomorrow I'll go down and order our Mazda3 Grand Touring in Copper Red -- the color that my wife in particular has always wanted to get on her next car.

So for us this sounded too good to be true, which is why I questioned it. I owe you one. :)
    So for us this sounded too good to be true, which is why I questioned it.

That's totally understandable.

I owe you one.

It's no big deal, I'm just glad that I was able to help out a bit.

• elenemelenem Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I just got a 2008 Mazda3 GT and am considering adding the Sirius receiver. Can anyone who has it comment on the display when using the satellite? Is all the information that you get with an external satellite receiver available (station, artist, song title)? How does it look? Easy to read? How many characters display? If someone could post a picture or two that would be great, too!
    Thanks!
  • bfcernybfcerny Member Posts: 5
    Hello,
    Since all of you most likely own a mazda 3 you can feel my pain with the stereo. I have an 08 3 i Touring. What are my options for a stereo? I have a 6 disc but would like an after market navigation stereo system. The stereo in this car is so odd shaped...can I get a fit kit that won't look like crap? What happens to the area above the stereo that displays your mileage and radio station etc....does it just become inopperable? Does anyone have any pictures of a system they have put in? Also, I have been told I have to have a special set up for a remote start...is there any way around this?

Thanks!
  • jcbarryjcbarry Member Posts: 4
    Is it possible to install the Bose system in an 08 Touring? Just curious as I have the touring and would like to upgrade the stereo but would like to avoid the (sometimes) ugly aftermarket fit kits.

Any thoughts?
    Is it possible to install the Bose system in an 08 Touring?

As I understand it, only the am and speakers are "Bose"- not the head unit. Have you listened to the Bose system? I ask because I have the Bose system in my 07 3 and the sound is good but certainly not great. I would call Crutchfield and look into upgrading the amp and speakers while leaving the head unit alone.

Just barely got a taste of the bose, it is definitely better than the stock equipment. I think I'm going to do just that. Especially since the doors already have cut outs for a component set up.

Thanks for the info from what else I've been reading, its way too expensive and not worth the payout for the Bose setup.

Cheers!
    Anybody know what kind of wattage the factory 6CD head unit pushes out to the 6 speaker setup (non-bose)?
  • tomkozskitomkozski Member Posts: 39
    My understanding is that it is a difficult upgrade, not worth it at all, as the audio system has to be rewired (amp., sub, dif't head unit, speakers, dif't harnesses, etc.). You might just be better off going aftermarket, at least upgrading the speakers, it'll definitely be cheaper and easier.
  • pcampospcampos Member Posts: 12
    If you bought or are in the process of buying a Mazda Speed3 GT 2008 1/2, or 2008-R as it's also known, the sound system head unit needs to be replaced. When they tweaked the car for the 1/2 model year they put a new head unit in it and it doesn't work properly. This requires going into the dealer so they can take the info regarding your unit and order the appropriate new one. The new ones are taking anywhere from a day to a week to get to the dealers. Cars already on order will probably end up arriving a week or two later as they make the fix at the factory or when it's off-loaded after shipping.
  • danielwollmanndanielwollmann Member Posts: 8
    Do you know if Mazda already oriented all dealers about this? I'm complaining about the crappy BOSE unit since I got my car in the dealer (Lee Johnson Mazda in Kirkland, WA). I keep asking them every week about a fix but they don't know nothing about it.
  • 67cuda67cuda Member Posts: 5
    I just bought an 08 Mazda3 Grand Touring 5d hatchback with the Bose stereo and I'm very disappointed in it's performance. I hope it's the defect that danielwollmann is talking about. The bass cuts out and i have to adjust the volume up or down for it to kick back in. It happens when I play CD's, radio or ipod. Anyone else having similar problems? I'm taking it in to the dealer tomorrow and hope they have some kind of bulletin about this problem.
    After another try in the dealer and a recommendation from the sales guy to buy a 3rd party sound system at Car Toys (I was amazed he have recommend this to a real customer) I gave up and file a complaint in Mazda’s customer services. The experience was great, they called the dealer, found the technician that has the contact with Mazda’s Hot Technical Line, and ordered the replacement for my unit. So, let’s see if the problem goes away after I got the new unit.
    I suggest you do the same thing, call Mazda USA Customer Service.
    I went to the dealer today to demonstrate the problem I'm having with the Bose stereo system, with the bass cutting in and out. At first the tech couldn't find anything wrong. I told him it happens when driving and we went on a spin. Sure enough the bass started to cut in and out. They are now ordering me a new head unit. Hope this works. They had no bulleting notices for any kind of recall for these head units. My car was assembled in the factory on 3/08. What other problems are other people having or are you all just not happy with the sound?
    I just got my head unit changed today. No it's working as it should. It took only 15 minutes to do everything.
    What was the problem you were having with your head unit?
    The same as everybody that got the 2008 refresh between January and March. The bass/treble levels were oscilating a lot while driving and the volume leveling was unstable all the time.

Mazda and Bose knows the problem, have the fix, but I don't why they didn't do a recall.
  • croystoncroyston Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same issue as 67cuda. I just leased the 08 mazda3 5 door GT, with the Bose system, and the bass keeps cutting in and out. Im glad to hear Im not the only one, I thought maybe the system was just poor quality. I will bring it in asap to get checked out.

Also, I have the Sirius installed and for some reason I cannot get the stations to program into the presets. It takes when I hold down the button, but when I try to use the preset buttons, it displays "INVALID" on the display.

Very annoying issues with the audio system.
    Actually. I think we all did a bad deal paying for the "Premium Sound" that is not so premium at all. The speakers and the amplifiers do their job, but the head unit is very limited. My first negative impression was when I needed to use the button to roll the display and check the mp3 song I was trying to find.

Unfortunatelly in the GT trim there is no way to get the rest of the package without the sound, but I'd reccomend everybody to skip the sound system option and go for an aftermarket option.
  • ravenfan50ravenfan50 Member Posts: 14
    Just purchased a new Mazda3 a few weeks ago. Anyone add the satellite radio equipment? Just wondering if it is worth purchasing.
  • markp5markp5 Member Posts: 1
    I love this car, but have the same problem with the sound system. After jerking around with sales and dealer management for 2 weeks(promises with no action), I pulled into Service. They said another customer was there the day before with the same problem and there was a bulletin out from Mazda. Today was the service appointment. My wife brought it in. The Mgr denied knowlege of the problem or any bulletin. They eventually took the car to try to recreate the problem. No loaner car as previously promised. Luckily, in less than a hour, they came back, acknowleged the problem, and said they are ordering a new head unit for us. Our problem should be resolved in a week or so.
    Mazda could have made this a lot easier....
  • whitebriankwhitebriank Member Posts: 1
    I have been having the same issue with a Mazda 3 hatchback that I recently bought. It's not the Bose unit, but it has the same issues. I was wondering if you have a copy of that bulletin or know of anyone higher up than the dealers that can help me. My service dept. is telling me that it is normal for the stereo to do that.
  • homeagain3homeagain3 Member Posts: 10
    I purchased the refreshed 08 Mazda 3 last week with Bose and had Sirius added at the dealer. I just got around to calling and having the Sirius activated tonight. Unfortunately, I can't find the Satellite Radio kit that the manual says should have been included for anyone adding Sirius for help with operating it.

Can anyone tell me how to display artist, song and such on the radio display?
  • szelcszelc Member Posts: 2
    I hope this will clear up many of the radio concerns due to bass cutting in and out. I just purchased a new 2008 Mazda 3 Touring 5 door in April. My vehicle has a manufacture date of 1/08. I have the base factory unit with 6 disc CD option. I noticed a problem right away, when I raise the volume to the 32 or higher level, base cuts out. I contacted my sales representative first, was told to adjust the treble & bass lower. I did, no luck. I contacted the Service Advisor Manager at Maple Shade Mazda New Jersey. (Where I purchased car) I had done some research and found out that a SOFTWARE GLITCH is the culprit. I brought my car in. The dealership took numbers from this unit, acknowledged I indeed was correct and ordered me a new replacement radio. On May 9th 2008 my new stereo was installed and I no longer have any radio problems. Bottom line a problem most diffenently exsits on a certain batch of systems. I did not get any run around, arguments, or problems from Maple Shade Mazda. Everyone who has this problem, should not be questioned. Your dealership needs to replace it. Good Luck.
    My problem with the bass cutting out was solved with a new head unit. It took 3 weeks for the new head unit to arrive, but took an hour for the install. No problems since.
  • mixwellmixwell Member Posts: 14
    I know this has been a problem for many or us and I have tried to read up on all the past threads in this forum and others. My 2008 Mazda 3 S touring continues to throw feedback whenever I use the aux input and try to charge the ipod via the 12volt. I have yet to read/hear about a reasonable solution to this problem. I've read about the "ground loop isolator", but not heard about anyone actually having any success with it. I think my next move is to purchase the "Audio Link iPod Integration Kit for Mazda" from
    http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=142

Can anyone comment on this product and let me know if it's worth it!?!?

Thanks so much in advance.
  • virwillvirwill Member Posts: 3
    I am so glad I found this chat. I bought the 1/2 year upgrade Mazda3 iTouring 4-door with the basic cd/6-speaker setup, and have been having serious problems with bass boost as well as dropoff. Even with the ALC off and bass set to zero, the volume jumps at the 35 setting, as though a loudness switch was turned on -- but it's a slightly different tone than if the volume is lower but ALC is turned to 1, say. The bass then sometimes jumps in -- it booms -- and out if I speed up or slow slightly. What's really odd is that when I slow down from highway speed to, say, 20 mph, the bass booms again, then falls off dramatically as I come to a stop. Thanks for the heads-up in this and other posts; I'll take it in the dealer post haste.
  • mazdabuyer08mazdabuyer08 Member Posts: 17
    I have a new 2008.5 3i touring value edition. The car has an adapter to play an mp3 player. I have a zen mp3 player from creative. It came with an adapter that has a bigger end and a smaller end. It seems the adapter I need has to have two bigger ends. One to fit in the ear phone jack of the player and the other to fit into the care adapter.

Does anyone know what I need so I can search for it online?
    THX
  • idol767idol767 Member Posts: 4
    I use a mini stereo cable in my 2008.5 3s Touring Hatch. It has a 1/8 inch plug on each end, one for the headphone jack, and one for the input jack in the arm rest. It works fine for my cheap Sandisk MP3 player. You should be able to find one at your local Walmart, Target or Radio Shack. Here's an example:

Adapter cable example
  • mixwellmixwell Member Posts: 14
    So, I decided to get the Audio Link iPod Integration Kit for my 08 Mazda 3 S Touring 5dr. Removing the HU was easy and plugging in the Audio Link into the "appropriate" aux input was a cinch. HOWEVER, all it does is charge my ipod!?!? When I try pushing the Media button on the HU, nothing happens, as if it does not recognize any connection. I also tried hitting the CD button twice, and that also does nothing more than start my CD. My concern is that b/c I only have a single, in-dash CD player, the Audio Link is not compatible. I plan on calling Dave or Donny at Audio Link on Monday to get some help . . . BUT I am anxious to fix this and would love to get it done ASAP. Any ideas!?!?!?!?!?!?

-m