Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cobalt: Problems & Solutions

13»

Comments

• vanacevanace Posts: 8
    I would not buy a cobalt if you want decent ride. If reading these forums isn't enough I don't know how to talk you out of this 1970's technoligy car. Do yourself a big favor and drive a focus. Even being a 6 going on 7 year old design, it is worlds better in quality and modern technology in cars. Think of why the cobalt has a solid rear axle. It is because it is cheaper to make. Not because it is a better set up. Anyone should be very insulted with this. It is no wonder gm lost 10.5 billion last year. They can't make a decent car that compeats in quality.
  • rudyrustyrudyrusty Posts: 1
    On June, 19 we leased a 2006 Cobalt for our 16 year old daughter because we figured she would be safer and have less problems with a new car.She called from work 3 nights ago and said car wouldnt start and she couldnt get the key out.my husband went and tried to start it and there was NOTHING.he eventually got the key out.had the car towed at midnight to dealer and was told next day the computer says low voltage but since they dont know whats causing the problem they cant fix it.said this was the 5th cobalt returned to them in 3 weeks.we refused to take the car and took a loaner which of course was another cobalt.they said 1 car returned pulled out at a sheetz and stalled in traffic.another at a redlight.we will not put our daughter in this compromising position.called GM rep said get a second opinon???this is biggest chevy dealer in southwestern PA??where does she want me to go? she said there is nothing they can do.there is obviously problem that gm refuses to recognize because ive seen similiar postings all over the internet.what a shame because we are chevy people and want to support the american workers.what a nice way to repay loyal customers.she said she would contact dealer and find out what they were doing to correct problem but wow,big surprise,she never called me back so i will be calling everyday and my husband will go to the dealer everyday until we can get some resolution.
  • I have had my cobalt since it was brand new it only had four miles on it and in turns it clunks sometime usually when i hit a driveway with a little bit of a lip on it. My blower motor control switches position number three does not work. The paint on my interior trim rubs off easy and the black on the buttons of my radio is starting to rub off so that at night you can see the light shine trough the bottons.And last thing is on my dash the break light does flash on and off and sometimes a light will flash so quick i dont know if its just the break light or something else oh and I broke the seat fold down lever in the trunk i hate where it is not only is the trunk opening to small but they make it worse by putting the levers in your way. but over all it has a lot of neat things about it and looks good so i still like it.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Posts: 1,060
    You might "still" like it...but....why in the world don't you take it back and get it "FIXED" under your 3 year 36,000 mile warranty???????
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Posts: 1,134
    "You can deride Nissan all you want, but my Altima is an early 2003 model (2nd year) and I haven't had to deal with any dumb stuff like the air conditioning leaking all over the interior, the car going haywire because I spilled coffee in the cupholder or the headlights acting like a fishbowl."

That's super, gsemike, really. Apparently, though, you're blissfully unaware of Nissan's current headaches with the 2.5L I4 Engines in the Altima and Sentra? Nothing serious, mind you, just a little matter of sucking oil to the tune of a quart every 700 miles or less, an occasional fire, and sudden engine seize-ups. Nissan's replacing these engines as fast as they can make them under a recall campaign. But, what the heck - at least the affected cars' A/C systems, cupholders, and headlights work fine, huh? ;)

(Like cousins who marry, it's never a good thing when a once proud Japanese automaker gets scarfed up by a French automaker, itself, partially owned by the French government...)
  • I have had minor issues with my Cobalt but overall pleased. Regarding the key not coming out of the ignition. I have had my 05 Cobalt for a year now and I am starting to have the same problem. I do get the key out with working at it but it is starting to annoy me. If I have the part replaced like you did with no fixes or recalls, what makes the problem go away it might start up again maybe not 8 months down the road but it could start anytime.

I hope it works out for you I will consult with my dealer and see what they say.
  • I have had the same issues with the ebrake coming out it would pop on one or twice a month then maybe 3 months at time it hasn't come on in a while same with the high beam blue light coming on but never saw the high beams go on when that light went on. annoying electrical stuff but my dealer wont doing anything or track unless it does it all the time. Your not the lone ranger annoying stuff but come on GM get it right or I will buy a Camry.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Posts: 1,134
    "...but come on GM get it right or I will buy a Camry."

Might wanna check out the Camry discussions regarding the new V6 6-sp automatic transmission problems and engine hesitation with the 4-cyl engines in the 2007 models... Not quite ready for prime time according to disgruntled Camry owners.
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,026
    As we move towards more specific discussions, this generic topic will be closed. If you have a specific issue and there is not a discussion for it at the top group level, please create a new discussion.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f0a302e

My apologies for any confusion or frustration.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

13»
This discussion has been closed.