Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Azera Real World MPG

12345679»

Comments

• cobrazeracobrazera Posts: 352
    I doubt it's the hills, you should save gas coming down. I've made a few trips down I75 from Michigan to Florida and actually got better mileage through the mountainous areas in Kentucky and Tennessee.
    The energy required for acceleration is what takes a toll on fuel economy. You can gain that energy back to some extent by coasting up to lights and stop signs whenever possible - but be prepared to PO others with this type of driving. The savings come because modern engines shut fuel off completely when coasting.
    Changing your moving car's stored energy ( momentum ) to brake heat is the biggest mileage killer in city driving. Of course, you get 0 MPG while waiting at traffic lights, but an idling engine uses only about a gallon of gas per hour, so that's not a huge factor.
    The summer months do not require a lot of startup fuel enrichment, but your short trips are affected to some extent by that also - expect the situation to get worse when it gets colder.

Hope this helps.....Richard
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,253
    Also, did you have non-Ethanol gas where you were and are now using gas with Ethanol (E10 / "up to 10% Ethanol)? You'll lose an MPG or two from that alone.

And honestly, the hills might be at least something of a factor. If you can coast down the hills without having to brake at the bottom then it'll come close to evening out but if you have to brake while descending or at the bottom of the hills then the extra gas used to get up hill is not balanced out by coasting downhill.

Other factors: Driving very fast will reduce fuel economy. Driving in stop n go traffic will reduce fuel economy. And for sure both of those are possible in Atlanta.
  • allmet33allmet33 Posts: 3,557
    short drives are always worse than long hauls when it comes to fuel economy. I experience the same issue...when I make a bunch of short trips, the average tends to be around 15 mpg. However, when highway driving is mixed in with the short trips, the average is up to about 18 mpg. Hills would only be an issue if you were taking long steep hills.
  • gamlegedgamleged Posts: 442
    Best mileage I've gotten was 30+ mpg when I drove through VA doing 65mph max (radar/laser det. illegal there). In Florida I get about 20-21 mpg when using SOME interstate; 18 mpg when all secondary roads. I do very little stop-'n-go driving, mostly 1 - 2 miles or a little more between stop lights, 40 -60 mph...
    '06 Azera with 115k miles on it and here's where it stands on fuel economy. Had to drive down to NC & back twice in the same week. Me with 3 passengers, trunk loaded with luggage, averaging about 75 mph with the a/c on...27 mpg was my average fuel economy on both trips. Actually, going to NC yielded 26 mpg, but the trip back was always slightly higher. Travel was on main routes I-495, 295 & 95.

This past weekend, we took a family trip to VA Beach, this time going down routes 301, 17, I-64 & 264. The average was a bit lower due to more stop and go driving while on 301 & 17, but not bad either...25 mpg.

All in all, I would have to say I'm very happy with the Azera as a road car...still! :shades:
  • Got 28mpg from reno to San francisco last night. Normally would get 25 with California Gas. I thought they only put Ethanol in the winter. Guess its all the time. :mad:
    Actually...I think the ethanol levels are lower during the summer vs. winter levels.
  • garywaynegarywayne Posts: 3
    edited August 2011
    I bought my new '06 AZERA in June of '06 and was one of the earlier posters on this site. At the time, I really grumbled about the awful milage I was getting. I still have low milage on the car, but I am consistently getting 30 to 30.5 MPG on our Calif. freeways. I find that if I reset the MPG info before I enter the freeway, I get an accurate reading for that purpose. I get about 18 to 19 in town driving. I keep the trunk clear of anything I don't need and don't forget to keep your tire pressures up where they belong, depending on your tire brand.
    Gary
  • I'd been disappointed with mpg on my 2006 Limited. It now has just 25,000 miles on the clock. However, on a recent 200 mile trip from PA to VA this past Saturday, I averaged 30.7 mpg. Needless to say, I was MORE than pleased, especially with a moose of a 3.8 litre engine... :)
    WOW...a 2006 w/just 25K miles on it!!! I'm about to turn 125K miles on my '06. Not sure what's to be disappointed in with the 3.8 regarding fuel economy, it's definitely not a city car. I live in the DC Metro area and commute to work everyday. When it's strictly city driving, my average is anywhere between 14-17 mpg. When I mix in trips to the 'burbs or out to VA...it shoots up to about 21-23 mpg. On long distance trips (mostly highway driving) I hit anywhere between 26-29 mpg. Considering it's a 3.8 V-6 w/o direct injection & only a 5 speed tranny...that's not bad at all. :shades: