Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Jeep Liberty

rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,657
2007 is the last year for the current generation Jeep Liberty. With that in mind maybe it's time to start a new thread on the all-new model, which debut as an '08 model.

To kick it off, Jeep just announced that there will be not diesel for the '07 model, but is looking into a possible diesel for the '08 model. I hope that's true, as I hate the idea of Jeep dropping the diesel Liberty.

A couple of things I would like to see on the '08 Liberty are:

• IRS. More and more SUVs are going with an IRS, and I'm talking about SUVs designed to go off road (like Land Rovers, for example). It's time Jeep jumped on that bandwagon too. Don't want an IRS, then there's the Wrangler Unlimited for the hardcore old-time Jeepers.

• A simplified selection of 4WD systems. What I'd like to see is a full-time 4WD be used across the board, be it Select Trac or Quadra Drive. Get rid of the old part-time Control Trac. If they offer Select Trac, there's no need for Command Trac, as it offers part-time mode, for those who want that. Absolutely keep the 2-speed transfer case!

Bob

Comments

• odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    Jeep does have a 2006 CRD model in the Liberty line-up. It has a i-4 turbo diesel under the hood.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace Garage
  • manleymanley Posts: 72
    I would like to see the IRS if they are going to keep it capable of going offroad and have a towing capacity of 5000 lb.

I don't want to see it go the way of the CRV or Rav4 because they have no towing capacity because that of the IRS system. I don't want my libby to be assamed of its little bothers beacause it has turning into nothing more than grociery getters and soccer team haulers.

Several years ago the honda accord had a higher tow rating than the CRV.

Accord - Solid rear
    CRV - IRS
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,657
    I would like to see the IRS if they are going to keep it capable of going offroad and have a towing capacity of 5000 lb.

Absolutely—and it can be done!

I don't want to see it go the way of the CRV or Rav4 because they have no towing capacity because that of the IRS system. I don't want my libby to be assamed of its little bothers beacause it has turning into nothing more than grociery getters and soccer team haulers.

It won't, as that's what the Jeep Patriot is for.

Bob
  • vmbvmb Posts: 1
    does anyone know how to change the interior bulb lights in 06 jeep libby ? Does the cover just pop out or do you have to take out the whole thing ?
  • Hi vmb,
    This discussion is about a future Liberty. If you'd like advice on currently-produced models, please visit our Jeep Liberty Group

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Recent spy shots of the 2008 model show the Jeep has replaced the rear door/spare tire with a hatch-- similar design to the new 2007 Honda CR-V....that is great news but I would also like to see better fuel economy for the gas model--how about a 5 speed or 6 speed tranny and/or Mercedes diesel engine with a 6 speed tranny... and increased cargo capacity with the rear seats down in the 72 cu ft range; otherwise I will be looking elsewhere...
  • I hope that the 2008 Liberty will have a "normal" front passenger seat (with 6-way power as an option) rather than the "fold flat" seat which is being put in the 2007 Compass, Patriot, and Dodge Nitro. To my wife and me, anyway, they are uncomfortable and sit much too low. Perhaps the "fold flat" seat could be offered as an option for those who are into hauling 8' items. ;)
  • On the subject of the front seats in the Compass, Nitro and (presumably) Patriot - what the heck is up with those stupid head-rests? The ones in the Compass and the Nitro are cocked forward at such a sharp angle that my wife and I both had "cricks" in our necks before we'd gone a mile. Very disappointing! :confuse:
  • This type of head restraints are designed to help prevent neck injuries in a crash. Active head restraints are becoming more and more prevalent across all makes and models, so be prepared.
  • davertdavert Posts: 23
    And here it is without any disguise!

http://www.allpar.com/trucks/jeep/liberty-2008.html

Rumor says it'll have the hot new 4-liter engine.
  • frostyyfrostyy Posts: 52
    The 2008 is sweeet!!! That 'mini' Commander front end looks awesome, and with the decent liftgate at the back...this is much improved...more cargo space behind the front seats...Now....all I need is the option for a Mercedes Diesel for better fuel economy and distance and I am in...

The Patriot....little too small....
    The Commander....little too big...
    The Liberty.....just right!!!
  • davertdavert Posts: 23
    Rumor mill says the current 3.7 continues with the new 4.0 liter V6 as an option, and eventually another diesel; a fabric roof was spied; and the looks change rather dramatically. full story at http://www.allpar.com/trucks/jeep/liberty-2008.html with new photo of the roof
  • frostyyfrostyy Posts: 52
    I am anxious to see all of the exterior and interior and to hear of the latest features/options for the 2008 Liberty.

Wondering if it will be officially unveiled at the North American Auto Show in Detroit in January/2007 or later???
  • No. It will be revealed at the New York auto show.
  • I guess we all have to wait until April 07 then...
  • The newly redesigned 2008 Ford Escape (with Hybrid version) will be in production about the same time as the 2008 Liberty...and

The all new 2008 VW Tiguan (small SUV) will be coming out as well with a rumoured 2.0L 4 cyl Bluetec (Clean TDI)diesel engine as an option, along with an optional 4WD off-road package...

I sure hope the 2008 Liberty has an optional Bluetec diesel engine option as well or it may be left behind...
  • :lemon: The 2008 will have a diesel engine option, but from what I hear it is not going to be made in the first batch of cars. I think it is one year from the relase date of July 1 07.

I personally do not like the look of the 2008 Escape. I like the "baby commander" look of the Liberty.

The VW Tiguan is pretty nice thou. I wonder how the pricing stacks up to the Liberty. Does anyone know the base price of the Tiguan?
  • Ya, I like the Tiguan too...I believe the press release indicated that more info (perhaps including pricing) will be available in early 2007...it will be interesting to compare the Tiguan and Liberty with respect to cargo capacity/utility (fold flat rear seats), exterior dimensions (not too big so I can store more stuff in the garage), fuel economy (the higher the better of course) etc...

I, too, am not real impressed with the Escape, Hybrid or otherwise...

I'm thinking my next vehicle will be either the 08 Tiguan diesel 4WD or the 08 Liberty (diesel hopefully) 4WD...they are the closest to what I am looking for so far...
  • "without any disguise!" What have you been smoking? I see lots of disguises on it. Send me a photo of the new Lib. without ANY black covers on it anywhere, (When your head is clear of all the stuff you have been smoking!)

CK