Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger Starting Problems

Comments

• loosenutloosenut Posts: 165
    try jumping the solenoid..the little wire is the activation lead..it should "click"..if it clicks,and still doesn't start,replace the starter..if you jump between the large bolts ,and still nothing happens,it's the starte :sick: r..if the solenoid clicks,but doesn't work from the key,it's either the ignition switch,or the safety lockout hooked up to the clutch..
  • 88 ranger--165,000. new---tank--plug wires---plugs--filter --ignition module. starter n soleniod ok. u can be driving along n all the sudden--it dies--like no power--or no gas. or--after drivin a ways n might come out n hit it --n it wont start. checked for lose or broken wires. but--it will crank ok- n if u spray starting fluid in it--it will run till that is used up. new battery to. but--u can hear the fuel pump kick in when u hit the switch. leave her sit for a few hrs--or over nite n she starts. would a bad oxygen sensor cause it to run to rich n drown out? i aint pushin it either. help????!!!! :sick:
  • this sounds like my truck. th emechanic s say it has to be something simple--cuz it runs to damn good other than just stoppin or not starting again after u drive awhile n turn it off. i am looking for these relays. would they be the ones next to the starter soleniod on the passengers side fender? seems to be 2 lil box thingys side by side with wires plugged in.. can u buy these at auto parts store? man i hope this it. please --give us a reply soon. my girl friend is gonna kick my [non-permissible content removed] n she is only 5;1 .. yeah--well--u have to know her. lol. lil package. a lot of dynomite.
    if it starts on starting fluid,it's a fuel delivery problem..put a pressure gauge on the fuel rail,and see if it's within spec's..you say new tank,did that include a new fuel pump??
    i have run into this problem before..solenoid acting goofy..
    --in order for the coil inside the solenoid to activate the electromagnet-pushing the plunger up,and making contact with the two terminals(batt/starter),IT NEEDS A GROUND!!..check under where the solenoid is mounted,and clean up the rust and corosion under there..then,make shure the mounting bolts arereasonably tight-not "gorilla torqued",like some ape who doesn't know his own strength(i HATE when that happens-especially on lug nuts!)..try that..or,try running a ground wire to it..desprate times call for desprate measures..
  • 92 ranger 2.3L no start while i have fuel pressure new plugs and wires primary and secondary windings have apropriate resistance and i have new crank sensor and new ign. module .... i have paid my dues with crappy mechanics and i have had enough of buying parts so please if anyone has a clue on how to help please dorp a line... things that has been done fuel pressure , ign module, crankshaft sensor, still no start, engine turns good starter is good nutral safety switch is good, and plugs and wires .
  • what is this EEC relay --u speak of--because this sounds alil like my 88 ranger. n i did all he did too. i can leave it sit awhile -or over nite n shazam--it starts. what is it n where the heck is it. thanx bro
  • This sounds like my 1988 2.9 and it is still sitting in the driveway. because sometimes it starts and may run or not and if it does it will run for a minute and starts to flood so bad it will not run unless you stay on the pedal. Has good fuel pressure you can unplug the relay to the pump and just poor gas in pcv line and it starts and runs great until the gas is gone have got tired of trying things PLEASE HELP I know this is an on going problem and thanks to you for any and all help.
  • motorbreath;you've got a real head scratcher there..have you run a compression check on it yet?..-cause spark,fuel,and compression SHOULD equal fire,but we are talking ford's here,or should i say,..mazda??!..this is the 4 cylinder with double spark plugs,-a set on each side,right??the one thing it might be would be the coil..make shure it's got a good ground!..that would make it quit ,then run later..i've even had one coil on a rangerthat would spark,but wasn't "hot" enough!!..i replaced the coil,-in the parking lot where it quit-and it worked!!..i was glad,since the walk to parts was the other way,and a mile closer than the house was..
    --ANYWAY,,i'd check the coil next..especially if the plugs were wet..if they smell of gas,pull all the plugs out,turn the engine over a few times-to clear the cylinders out,then burn the raw gas off of them(i used a torch,or a lighter),while there,check the gap,..then--it should fire..-cause ifin you'se got fuel,compression,and spark,you should get combustion!?!!..good luck
  • yowman,sounds like a injector is stuck open..witch plug is getting drowned out?that's the one..or,if you got throtle body,try TAPPING on it,cause it's made of plastic,and if you hit it like you'r driving a nail,it'll break!,but,maybe you can loosen the needle valve that's stuck to free up..also,crappy gas will do that to your fuel delivery system..they are charging us 4 bucks a gallon,and still sell us some of the crap i STILL find on the market??!!..put a tank of the good stuff in it,and you'll have fewer troubles like this!
  • Replaced battery two days ago, started and ran fine for 2 days. Now the same issue as before-the dome light(and all lights, radio etc) come on, when I turn ignition key, I get one click and all lights go out, stay out. Same exact symptoms as before replacing battery. Possible short, or solenoid? Again, it worked fine for two days. Help! Thanks in advance!
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    Check both battery cables. Check closely for corrison inside the rubber, near the connectors, at both ends of the cables, but especially at the battery.

Messing with the cables to put a new battery in gave a good connection for 2 days, then it failed again because several of the wires are eatten up, inside the rubber insulation.

If the cables are ok, then keep checking 'downstream'. Solnoid or a bad starter.
  • you were exactly correct!! New positive cable/terminal; all is good-thanks so much!
    I suspected this was the case as well
  • Hey that was my thinking to found that it was the one on the driver side back put in a new one in and to my surprize did not fix the problem in the hayse manual it shows that on that model the distributor controls the fire and fuel have you heard or know if thats right also thanks for your reply.
    your thinking to...what??i'm usually good at decypherin ,but what one where?haynes manual?..i'm not tryin ya give ya greif,but i isn't shure of what y'all's askin..k?
  • What the heck is all this stuff if you are wanting to make fun find a clown just trying to find out about the trucks problem not anythjing else.
    i'm just trying to help,but-if you would go back and read your post,--what were you asking??i don't understand!..i even went back two of your post's,and still don't know..
    not many would waste the time,or get snarky..i've not done that.
    so,if you would re-phrase your question,i will try again to answer it..k?
  • For the past year and a half my truck will just decide not to start once I have driven it.. I have put a new fuel relay switch in, but done nothing else. If I wait sometimes 10 minutes sometimes 4 hours it will start. What the heck is the problem? Runs great otherwise, 126,000 miles, small 4 cyl. Will sometimes do this 5 times a day (yesterday) and then won't happen again for a couple months, then again maybe it will. help!
  • did you find the problem? I have the same problem. I took it in and they said it must be the fuel pump. I had the filter replaced already. But another mechanic says it is the computer module.

any ideas?
  • hey -check the fuel cut off switch -under the passenger side fire wall--just above where ur toes would point. its the sixe of a pack of cigarettes. it will keep it from runnin--or stop it while going down the road. just by pass it as i did n it will run like a top. mine would do teh same as u all told here. then id go back n shed start fine. let me know how u do. :shades: :shades: