Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger Starting Problems

Comments

• rockinjrockinj Posts: 2
    I have a 94 Ford Ranger that does the exact same thing. That is why I'm searching these message boards. Did you get it fixed? Did changing the fuel pump relay work? I thought it was just vapor locked because after 15 minutes it just starts right up like nothing every happened and it will be 2 months before it does it again.
  • rockinjrockinj Posts: 2
    my 94 ranger does the same thing. There is a recall on some fuel lines (they tend to crack). Could it be drawing air instead of fuel and causing it not to start intermittently?
  • warozzwarozz Posts: 2
    Hi all,

I have a 1994 ranger 4x4 super cab I have had since new. Last week I started having an intermittent starting problem and I am lost so any ideas would be helpful. The truck is starting 99% of the time perfect, runs without hesitation and has plenty of power. Four times in the last week after starting and driving for a short distance I shut the truck off and it will turn over but not start, I let it sit for a few and all of a sudden it fires right up. Most times within a half hour or less, this last time though I had to let it sit at a friends overnight before it would finally start.

I checked for spark and it's ok so I thought fuel was the issue. I tried swapping the ECC relay for the Fuel pump relay and that did nothing, I then changed fuel filters, problem still not solved. Sitting in the cab I have never heard the wine of the electric fuel pump when I turn on the key so I cannot say if it's coming on or not when it won't start. I have tried the fuel pressure release button at the throttle body and gotten nothing from it. I am leaning towards a fuel pump going out but it has none of the normal signs such as hesitation and lack of power.

Any ideas to keep me from a costly diagnosis and repair at the shop would be much appreciated.
  • ranger91ranger91 Posts: 4
    I replaced the starter in my 1991 Ford Ranger Super custom cab XLT, started it twice with no problems then started it again and with the engine running the starter just kept on spinning so i thought it was the wiring fixed that and then i went to reconnect the battery and it just started spinning on it's own. i checked if the keys were in the ignition and they weren't. Can anyone offer suggestions or advice? :confuse:
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    The new starter may not be matching up correctly with the flywheel. It may need to be 'shimmed', which means shims need to be placed under the mounts. This will align the engagement.

I replaced a starter, and the alignment was not so bad that it continued to run, but it 'whined' loudly when engaged. The auto supply house (OReileys) gave me a set of shims and instructions when I went back there.

Getting the shims in and the bolts thru the holes and shim may be troublesome.
    okay so i shimmed the starter on my 1991 Ford ranger Supercab, and now not only will it not start it wont even let me try to start it. I tried reconnecting the battery cables and it started arching and before that the starter had started spinning of it's own free will. What i think it may be is either the relay or the solonoid. Do 91's even have a solonoid and if they do where would it be at in the engine compartment. any ideas or suggestions please let me know. My ranger is my daily driver so i really need it running :confuse: :sick: :(
    ?Well, I'm not really sure, but I think it has a relay/solnoid. I don't think it is the old round shaped one, it may be a strange shaped flat thing.

Follow the positive cable. Follow the cable on starter back toward the battery. If you find something with a big cable in, a big cable out, and one or more small wires in, that may be it.
    well the relay is located right by the battery and i cleaned that off and it still wasn't working. I guess what i'm wondering is if there is a solonoid where do you think it would be?
    The relay could be fried inside, cleaning will not help.
    I called a ford dealer and they told me that the starter is most likely defective. They said that because all the starter want to do is spin that it means that the teath of the starter aren't recessing back into the casing and thats whats causing it to keep spinning
  • I have a 98 ranger with the 2.5l. When trying to to start it all i get is a click sound. I pulled the starter off and had it tested. The said it was locked up. I put a new starter on and get the same thing. Just a clicking sound. My battery is fully charged. Is it possible for the replacement starter to be bad? If not are there any other ideas on where to look?
  • Warozz - same problem here. 94 ranger xtended 4 banger pushing 200k. Problem started late last summer swapped a couple possible sensors but once cooler weather arrived problem disappeared. Ran fine all winter. Now with heat and humidity returning problem is back. Starts fine when cold, once at operating temp will not start on hot days seemingly above 80 - below that and it seems to do fine although I have not kept track. When it won't start sometimes it will start after letting it sit for 10 to 30 minutes typically but on a few occasions late last summer and now this spring it has taken several hours the longest being around 4.

My mechanic has been looking at it off and on for the last few days (and has had it most of the day today) and is so far stumped. He has checked fuel pressure, spark, trouble codes, etc. The latest development just a little while ago (hit 90 today) - I noticed when turning the key to the first position before starting - you should hear the fuel pump pressurize the system then stop when at pressure - the fuel pump is not stopping when ignition is in first position. I am betting that when the fuel pump does stop (meaning it is properly pressurized) that it will start. Letting it cool down as I type this and will give it a go in a bit and report back.

Have you had any luck on your end? Thanks!
  • Sure enough! Tried it a few minutes ago. Turned ignition to first position - fuel pump ran for a few seconds then stopped - started right up. So it seems when the fuel pump keeps running the truck will not start so I'm assuming the fuel delivery system is not properly pressurized or there is a bad pressure sensor (if one exists) or it is just a faulty fuel pump. Will run my theory by my mechanic and see what he thinks. Will post results.
  • ngroverngrover Posts: 1
    My two wheel drive Ranger's starter died. We put a new starter in it and since then it has twice spontaneously started while in gear (both reverse and 1st) and drove itself into a tree and kept on running, digging one of its rear wheels into the ground up to the axel before the car finally died. It does not have a remote starter in it. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? Could it possibly be the new starter? I have it sold but I don't dare to give it to the new owner until I can fugure this out.
  • ironman9ironman9 Posts: 1
    94 ranger 3.0 v-6 drive for a while then shut off no spark wait ten minutes it starts intermite problem but put test light on coil both terminals light stays on even while cranking replaced control module (mounted on radiator support) no diffrence i do believe if you tap on power distribution box it seems to start any help thank-you
  • jsilver19jsilver19 Posts: 2
    I was having the same problem and could not figure it out for nothing. The problem is the crankshaft position sensor. It doesn't cost much and it will fix your problem. This sensor send a singal to the coil and fuel injection saying to work and not to work. Good luck.
  • jsilver19jsilver19 Posts: 2
    I was having the same problem and could not figure it out for nothing. The problem is the crankshaft position sensor. It doesn't cost much and it will fix your problem. This sensor send a singal to the coil and fuel injection saying to work and not to work. Good luck.
  • I have the same problem at first I thought it was my battery, starter, or alternator. Someone did suggest the sensor or fuel pump. My catalytic converter is fine as far as I know. I got my truck checked and nothing wrong with my starter, alternator or battery. So its the sensor? I have a 95 Ranger and it only happens when its hot out. Below 82 no problems. What causes the hesitation? So what is the problem when its hot it wont start or it'll start and die. I have to let it sit for a couple hours than it starts right up like nothing is wrong.